Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

so now that I've had some time to digest I think I like TLOP a lot as an album but the individual songs don't do that much for me

Exactly how i've been feeling. There aren't many tracks I want to just pick out and listen to on their own, but the album as a whole goes down well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The album goes by real fast for its length i think. I like it way more than yeezus.

I skip the silver surfer, wolves, and low lights usually that's about it though. The old kanye new kanye skit is brief enough but ill skip it if im close to the button.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I really like the TLOP, but its a bit frantic and all over the place for me to say it's one of my favorites. Some tracks sound like the advertised gospel, some sound like B sides to Yeezus, some sound Like watch the throne, some sound like cruel summer. It honesty sounds to me like the creation of a mentally ill person off his meds, which makes a bit of sense given Kanye's recent twitter activity.

The highlight of the album is honestly Chance's verse on Ultralight beam, followed by Famous, Father Stretch My Hands Pt.2, and Feedback.

The biggest problem is honestly there are tracks that are just hot loving garbage, which is very rare for Kanye. The Version of Wolves he released loving sucks, which is dumb as hell because the one he performed at SNL was one of my favorite Kanye things ever. Facts is bad too, but the biggest piece of poo poo is definitely Fade. How that got of this record is beyond me.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Paul Zuvella posted:

the biggest piece of poo poo is definitely Fade. How that got of this record is beyond me.

fade is my second-favorite song on the record :shrug:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That guy has no idea what he's taking about tbh

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I found the OG version of Wolves and I'm very happy he cut Sia and Vic Mensa because Sia sounds like poo poo. she needs to cover face and her mouth

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You talking the SNL version? She sounds absolutely fine you mad man

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Fade is good :colbert:

I find it kind of hard to believe that Ultralight beam or at least Chance's verse on there was meant for Chance's album though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where did you hear that? It was clearly meant for this album.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I left out a word but chance's verse strikes me as something he wrote for himself and I didnt hear that anywhere it's just my own speculation :shrug:

Im glad it is on this album though either way it's one of the best things on there. Waves is great too wouldve been a shame if it didnt make the cut.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lets be honest... hes no radiohead

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin

But i quite like Taylor Swift, she's an iconoclast, unafraid to push the boundaries

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chance's verse has too many Kanye references to not be for a Kanye song

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Chance's verse is incredible, and so is the Donnie Trumpet album. I can't wait for him to release his first real album.

Ultra Light Beam is the highlight of a great album to me. I really dig Famous too, with that Sister Nancy twist in the middle.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I'm sure this post has been made before but I've seen mostly only love for pablo... Is there context or something I'm not getting about the album? I've listened to it a couple times and it's the first project from Kanye that I really don't like. Maybe it just hasn't grown on me, but theneedledrop's review perfectly sums up my opinion of the album. I'll eventually listen to it more, I didn't have any hype or expectations for it pre-release but was completely underwhelmed.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

goldblums eyes posted:

I'm sure this post has been made before but I've seen mostly only love for pablo... Is there context or something I'm not getting about the album? I've listened to it a couple times and it's the first project from Kanye that I really don't like. Maybe it just hasn't grown on me, but theneedledrop's review perfectly sums up my opinion of the album. I'll eventually listen to it more, I didn't have any hype or expectations for it pre-release but was completely underwhelmed.

the context is that it's good music? :shrug:

I could see people being turned off by how slapdash and all-over-the-place it is, but I really enjoy how loose, fun, and carefree the album sounds. That, with all the different covers, tracklists, and versions of the songs makes me feel like Kanye leveraged the album's messiness (intentionally or not) into becoming part of the art itself. The only criticism I would levy at this album is that Kanye really phoned in his verses even more than usual, and even then there's not really a huge focus on Kanye's rapping to make that an issue for me.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

My only criticism is the god-tier cocktease of saying "help me out Three Stacks" halfway through the track.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

goldblums eyes posted:

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but I dig it.

Also yes the Andre3k tease was brutal.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Lol it moves you or you don't gently caress with it. There isn't a secret to the poo poo taste is subjective

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Silver Brushes posted:

My only criticism is the god-tier cocktease of saying "help me out Three Stacks" halfway through the track.

Kanye does that poo poo all the time, like on Pusha's new album it says MPA features Kanye and A$AP Rocky and Kanye just sings the chorus and A$AP sometimes quietly sings a long. At first glance a song with A$AP, Kanye, and Pusha looked incredible but overtime it played I kept thinking I was hearing the wrong song or missed a verse or something.

Or like when Four Five Seconds features Paul McCartney and he doesn't say a single thing.

Kanye can be the king of feature cockteases.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i havent really liked his last few albums I think he has peaked honestly

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There's literally no one else in rap who has an album run, from College Dropout to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, like Kanye

Its hard as hell to do that for so many years in rap. Especially someone who has switched up his style multiple times.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dexo posted:

There's literally no one else in rap who has an album run, from College Dropout to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, like Kanye

Its hard as hell to do that for so many years in rap. Especially someone who has switched up his style multiple times.

I don't know why you stopped with MBDTF when he released two better albums after that.

And you don't have to qualify it with "in rap", his musical run stands up as one of the best ever, regardless of genre.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
This album is the end of the run. It's the first time he's released an album that isn't a classic. In a decade, this will be the least remembered Kanye album.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

alansmithee posted:

I don't know why you stopped with MBDTF when he released two better albums after that.

Haha no

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

alansmithee posted:

And you don't have to qualify it with "in rap", his musical run stands up as one of the best ever, regardless of genre.

Agree with you on that. Yeah probably should have said in music. But with music I would say "one of" with Rap there is no one close.

Closest would have been Kast if 3k didn't stop.

Eh I don't think Yeezus is a classic though I don't hate it like other people do.

Pablo is still up in the air. Talk to me at the end of a year and I can give you a better answer personally.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 22, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
is someone gonna explain how yeezus is a classic

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeezus owns. I dunno how you define something as "a classic" but atm Yeezus definitely seems like the end of a run. Maybe it's because all his other albums feel so much like total packages within themselves whereas Pablo is a huge mishmash

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Its funny how Kanye and Rihanna both dropped around the same time, both being held up for a long time. I'd say this is a pretty long run-up for both. 10 years from now, I think people will have some interesting stories to tell. Or whatever time frame specified in the NDA.

TLOP sounds like 3 different but unfinished albums. 1/3 Gospel 1/3 trap 1/3 old Ye. Its really strange looking at Kanye's past output. Even if I don't like his production or lyrics, I like his taste. Listening to something like Late Registration to TLOP, you can't even imagine how they are the same artist. Beyond his growth, he simply lacked the quality control that he had in the past. Everything else I could say has been said by Anthony Fantano. Fantano is pretty embarrassing but he had Kanye's number in the TLOP review. There are just enough bad lyrics and weird musical flourishes that you know its a Kanye album but only because those things are so predictable at this point (post MBDTF). Its like Kanye is imitating himself, which is funny considering he is imitated, so who is copying who? TLOP is the inception of rap albums.

Yeezus is probably won't be remembered as a classic. It is still a quality album in the greater scope of things. I think he wasn't imitated as much but he was in sync with the noise, singing, and racial sentiment of the time. Yeezus is Ye distorting the sounds in the direction of anger instead of ennui.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw this on Facebook - Kanye freestyling in 1996:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd6NS7CIqVU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This album is the end of the run. It's the first time he's released an album that isn't a classic. In a decade, this will be the least remembered Kanye album.

It'll be remembered as either the bump in the road or the sign of his decline, depending on how he'll follow this up.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

temple posted:

Its funny how Kanye and Rihanna both dropped around the same time, both being held up for a long time.

Its not really a stretch to think her album was held up by Kanye.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
TLOP and Yeezus are both great and interesting albums. Kanye's worst album is Graduation by a large margin (and even that one is still good)

a fragile ego
Oct 19, 2014

HorseRenoir posted:

Kanye's worst album is Graduation by a large margin (and even that one is still good)

How can one human being be so wrong.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Isn't he almost 40? Of course he's peaked already. Still a good album.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

Kanye's worst album is Graduation by a large margin

I'm sorry you hate fun

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Other than maybe Blood on the Leaves, the great tracks on TLOP are a large margin better than those on Yeezus. There are a ton of real quality songs on this thing .

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Agreed. I really only like 3 songs from Yeezus - Blood on the Leaves, Bound 2, and New Slaves but I am still enjoying giving TLOP full run throughs :shrug: Seems like the people who like Yeezus aren't that into TLOP and vice versa. crazy how music works.

Anyway, can I still not buy this anywhere? I thought it was coming out on Itunes but I don't see it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

lmao

• Locked thread