Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In reality everyone runs basics with bofas because guildgates are not very good. On the other hand you could just use bofas to enable your Nimbus Maze if you really wanted to.

I'm suggesting a Nimbus Maze cycle as duals in standard without bofas, or any other typed duals, specifically.

Could've swore there were some standard decks that went all bofas and fetches, some of those Wet Junk ones? Maybe it's the fetchlands fault really, since you can run a deck that's 1/5 fetches and win a grand prix. I would make a joke about Legacy here but the lands list that won a grand prix only had 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm suggesting a Nimbus Maze cycle as duals in standard without bofas, or any other typed duals, specifically.

Could've swore there were some standard decks that went all bofas and fetches, some of those Wet Junk ones? Maybe it's the fetchlands fault really, since you can run a deck that's 1/5 fetches and win a grand prix. I would make a joke about Legacy here but the lands list that won a grand prix only had 6.

That legacy deck has 4 fetches, not 6. Tranquil Thicket is the land that cycles for G. Also the standard deck has 3 evolving wilds so you could consider it having 15 fetches or 1/4th fetches :v:

e: I think that nimbus maze is really close to the M10 checklands in function, and the UB one from the cycle has weird timing issues that punish certain color combinations arbitrarily in a way that UB largely avoids, so I've never understood why people think they're interesting cycles. Canopy/Grove are interesting asymmetrical concepts that have been discussed to death and cairn was an improvement upon the odyssey lands and not very asymmetric in the end.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 21, 2016

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Brownhat posted:

And people wonder why more women don't play Magic.

of course a dude with frank miller's batman for his avatar would do this. of course.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
So I'm building cubes out of mainly commons/uncommon as something to do with all my draft chaff, and my friend who has been buying boxes since like at least lorwyn OS chipping in. Both are going to have multiples of at least Commons.

Cube #1 is going to be focused on mixing flashback/Delve/and process into a limited environment for shits and giggles and I have a very specific focus for those.

Cube#2 is going to be just a curated format with 10 archetypes, one for each colour pair, like most limited formats, bit I'm unsure as to what archetypes to use for all of them. I have UW artifacts, RW equipment/aggro, GW +1/+1 counter synergy, UR delver/tempo/kiln fiend typ effects so far. Bit I'm unsure as to what else to do for the others so far. So basically what are your guys favourite limited interactions/or commons from various formats the past several, maybe tenish, years of magic?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rimusutera posted:

Cube#2 is going to be just a curated format with 10 archetypes, one for each colour pair, like most limited formats, bit I'm unsure as to what archetypes to use for all of them. I have UW artifacts, RW equipment/aggro, GW +1/+1 counter synergy, UR delver/tempo/kiln fiend typ effects so far. Bit I'm unsure as to what else to do for the others so far. So basically what are your guys favourite limited interactions/or commons from various formats the past several, maybe tenish, years of magic?

I would change UG to counter synergy, and switch GW to tokens (maybe still run mass pump like Township?). If you don't want to change U/G to +1/+1 counters:

WU: Artifacts
WR: Equipment
WB: Extort / Leech (clerics?)
WG: Counters
UB: Mill (really, Ingest/Process + a few good card denial spells)
UR: Tempo
UG: Ramp / Prismatic (pick em')
BR: Goblins / Tokens
BG: Sacrifice matters /regrowth
RG: Ramp / Fat

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 21, 2016

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Im working on my first pauper cube so id love to see these lists when youre done!

Do people usually include non-basics in a cube, and if so how/how many?

Also I think mirrodin makes a good starting point for your 2nd cube.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

field balm posted:

Im working on my first pauper cube so id love to see these lists when youre done!

Barren Moor cycle lands, Quicksand, Karoos, Refuges. Maybe guildgates. EvolvingWilds/Terramorphic Expanse. Teetering Peeks seems pretty reasonable.

edit: It really depends on how much fixing you want in your cube. There is a LOT of potential artifact fixing and ramp. The Chromatic cards, signets, Pilgrim's Eye, Springleaf Drum, Expedition Map, Traveler's Amulet, Wanderer's Twig are all totally reasonable color fixing to put in too. Probably wouldn't put Tron in there. Post might actually be kinda interesting since you couldn't actually assemble 8post.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 21, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

field balm posted:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/25221

My peasant cube. I do include quite a few nonbasics, so people can have some fixing for 2 or even 3 color decks. I haven't updated it in a while. It is oddly difficult to get 6 or 8 people who want to cube around here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I played the UR Elradzi deck vs the UW deck and won like 75% of the time. Not sure why everyone is on UW now. It does not seem nearly as good. (Though it's better vs Affinity if you expect alot of that matchup...)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Looks like there was a run on the Adarkar Wastes market overnight. I can't wait for Eldrazi to be banned out of existence.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Looks like there was a run on the Adarkar Wastes market overnight. I can't wait for Eldrazi to be banned out of existence.

The same thing happened with Karpulsan Forest a week or so ago. DON"T BUY. But the ban of Eldrazi isn't going to made these dumb modern price spikes go away.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress this game. gently caress this community. gently caress everything.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

HAIL SATAN

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

gently caress this game. gently caress this community. gently caress everything.

:agreed:

I told someone to sell their One With Nothings today, and then realized that with price memory being what it is, the price might not drop back to normal levels.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The price memory meme

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Four Score posted:

HAIL SATAN

Oversided laughing Jake with clear background is great.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the secondary market?! :stare:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Apparently people really want to make my old kitchen table UWB artifacts deck.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

The spikes etc. have taught most people who play "competitive" magic that anytime anything appears to be worth playing they need to buy now or miss the boat price wise. Which is a self fulfilling prophecy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

jassi007 posted:

The spikes etc. have taught most people who play "competitive" magic that anytime anything appears to be worth playing they need to buy now or miss the boat price wise. Which is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Like in real life, land prices can only go up, up, up!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Crap, I actually need one of those for non-Eldrazi purposes. Oh well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GoutPatrol posted:

Like in real life, land prices can only go up, up, up!
Hello sir I would like to arrange a store credit default swap

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

Hello sir I would like to arrange a store credit default swap

Basically. I await with bated breath for the moment the secondary market crashes. And I will have absolutely no sympathy for game shops (brick & mortar or otherwise) that hedged their entire existence on the assumption Magic will never die.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Matthias Hunt gets so many calls wrong oh my god

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hoogland's top of deck has been VERY nice to him this game.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AlternateNu posted:

Basically. I await with bated breath for the moment the secondary market crashes. And I will have absolutely no sympathy for game shops (brick & mortar or otherwise) that hedged their entire existence on the assumption Magic will never die.

Yeah. Much as I like my LGS and the people who run it I can't wait for either the market to crash or this game to loving die with how stupid expensive trying to play this game has gotten.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlternateNu posted:

For the most part it isn't LGS that are affecting this.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah brick and mortar local shops probably hate these price spikes too. My understanding is they generally make a more money from the high volume, but lower margin churn of $5-20 cards than the stupidly expensive ones that mostly just sit in cases.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skyl3lazer posted:

For the most part it isn't LGS that are affecting this.

I didn't say they were. But you're retarded from a business perspective if you don't diversify.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlternateNu posted:

I didn't say they were. But you're retarded from a business perspective if you don't diversify.

I mean sure, but you're also acting like this is the housing bubble and poo poo will go from 100 to worthless overnight. The MTG bubble popping would just be cards for 20$ being worth 10$, even if wotc stopped existing tomorrow people would still play the game and someone would 100% buy the IP.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What the loving gently caress is up with this board state? :stare:

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Oh hey G/W Devotion is back

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean sure, but you're also acting like this is the housing bubble and poo poo will go from 100 to worthless overnight. The MTG bubble popping would just be cards for 20$ being worth 10$, even if wotc stopped existing tomorrow people would still play the game and someone would 100% buy the IP.

I think you're underestimating how far things can drop if the game ever officially dies. Even if someone is willing to pick up the IP, things will crater in the mean time because all of the infrastructure surrounding the game will have to be rebuilt.

It won't be $20 cards going to $10. It'll be $150 cards dropping to $5.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlternateNu posted:

I think you're underestimating how far things can drop if the game ever officially dies. Even if someone is willing to pick up the IP, things will crater in the mean time because all of the infrastructure surrounding the game will have to be rebuilt.

It won't be $20 cards going to $10. It'll be $150 cards dropping to $5.

Considering that all the mtg events except the pro tour are run 3rd party, I highly doubt that to be honest. SCG isn't going to stop running their events if they aren't legally forced to.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ah yes, Eldrazi Tron.

Good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cummings seems insanely nervous on camera. Poor dude. Or he is just a tremendously uncertain player.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

X-1 or better at start of Day 2 of #SCGLOU: 8 Eldrazi, 3 Affinity, 1 Infect, 1 Kiki-Chord.

ban this sick filth

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Considering that all the mtg events except the pro tour are run 3rd party, I highly doubt that to be honest. SCG isn't going to stop running their events if they aren't legally forced to.

"Infrastructure" doesn't just mean who are running tournaments. It includes set development. It includes printing and distribution of new cards. It includes managing banlists, rulings, and the judge program (despite how much of it is run by the community). It includes prize support for FNMs and special events like Game Day/Pre-releases, etc. How long do you expect a game to last when it stagnates because no new cards are being printed? SCG doesn't have leeway to do any of that poo poo, and no one is going to want to go to a pro-level tournament when a format has been solved for 4+ months.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

AceClown posted:

X-1 or better at start of Day 2 of #SCGLOU: 8 Eldrazi, 3 Affinity, 1 Infect, 1 Kiki-Chord.

ban this sick filth

Are any of the affinity or infect players 14 year old kids? If so, I think they play at my store.

• Locked thread