Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

dyzzy posted:

I think the way they expect you to beat the DD on your first campaign is to basically toss a handful of heroes down the chute as a learning tax and come back prepared. Lots of stuff changes in there, no curios, campfire ambushes, fixed dungeon layout, no traps, etc. etc.

Yeah it seems a bit trial and error-y, and I guess I don't even mind that, but it seems like a kick in the balls to tell you that you lose one member guaranteed by abandoning as well. I considered it, but I decided to take my best team because it looked pretty tough, and the knowledge that I couldn't back out made me feel like that was a bad idea. Every hero at that point is like 20k+ gold or whatever and a fair amount of time. I don't know if I could knock together a team of 4x Level 6 heroes who could make it to the boss in decent shape who I wouldn't care about losing one and the outlay at a minimum. And if I didn't reach the boss I doubt I'd bring enough bandages either :smithcloud:

e:

Operant posted:

This is kind of bad design though because you automatically lose someone for pulling out, and the grind to get heroes to level 6 is pretty real.

spookily similar sentiments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah I feel the same way. Just let all of the heroes escape the dungeon. Not really sure what problem is being solved with that required sacrifice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Yeah it seems a bit trial and error-y, and I guess I don't even mind that, but it seems like a kick in the balls to tell you that you lose one member guaranteed by abandoning as well. I considered it, but I decided to take my best team because it looked pretty tough, and the knowledge that I couldn't back out made me feel like that was a bad idea. Every hero at that point is like 20k+ gold or whatever and a fair amount of time. I don't know if I could knock together a team of 4x Level 6 heroes who could make it to the boss in decent shape who I wouldn't care about losing one and the outlay at a minimum. And if I didn't reach the boss I doubt I'd bring enough bandages either :smithcloud:

You don't have to send in level 6s, though. A group of level 0s right off the wagon is good enough to get a feel for what enemies the mission has in store for you and see that you're dealing with extreme bleed.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gabriel Pope posted:

You don't have to send in level 6s, though. A group of level 0s right off the wagon is good enough to get a feel for what enemies the mission has in store for you and see that you're dealing with extreme bleed.

There is even an achievement for doing just that.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yeah I won't harp on about it, but like I say, even a party of terrible cannonfodder wouldn't get far enough to really be relevant. Many of the very first enemies don't even deal Bleed iirc, and what some of the peons do is not info about the boss and his attacks. Playing the game blind and without online guidance, I imagine how the minority roll, is actually pretty difficult. Let me tell you some of the boss fights have been a complete bust simply based on bringing heroes that aren't remotely appropriate.

I guess they expect people to just look everything up these days.I wouldn't be averse to some narrator lore clues or something.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Losing someone to a heart attack from retreating is the most annoying death. You're caught in a catch 22 where if you stay and die you'll lose at least one guy or quite possibly more, but retreating is a guaranteed death too. It also doesn't make much sense. "Phew we just narrowly escaped a gruesome death that's a relief, wait does anyone smell bacon? OH GOD MY CHEST"

(Yeah I know it's my fault for getting into that situation in the first place, it's still annoying)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Brigand 16 Pounder down. Man, that battle took a lot of turns. Using both of the Hellion's campfire buffs before the fight really made the difference. She is a monster with that and the Ancestor's Pen.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Yeah I won't harp on about it, but like I say, even a party of terrible cannonfodder wouldn't get far enough to really be relevant. Many of the very first enemies don't even deal Bleed iirc, and what some of the peons do is not info about the boss and his attacks. Playing the game blind and without online guidance, I imagine how the minority roll, is actually pretty difficult. Let me tell you some of the boss fights have been a complete bust simply based on bringing heroes that aren't remotely appropriate.

I guess they expect people to just look everything up these days.I wouldn't be averse to some narrator lore clues or something.

The first fight literally can't hurt you and the second fight is against a single size 1 enemy who is one of the main bleed culprits, and the third fight introduces the other bleed enemy. Even level 0s can easily make it that far since the first two fights are gimme.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

The first fight literally can't hurt you and the second fight is against a single size 1 enemy who is one of the main bleed culprits, and the third fight introduces the other bleed enemy. Even level 0s can easily make it that far since the first two fights are gimme.

You're being obtuse and ignoring my main point, which is that a level 0 party could never work out how long the dungeon is, what the boss can do, or really do anything to make it obvious that 10 bandages isn't really enough. But feel free to justify it to yourself some more.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Azran posted:

For those in here who mod the game, how easy is it to make a new class if you reuse some other class' art files (unlike say all the custom classes over at the Nexus, which stand out like crazy)? I have some skill ideas I want to try out.
I haven't modded a class in the sense of adding one, but my guess is that you just need an entry under /heroes/ with the associated info.darkest and art.darkest files, and the art files for them to reference (which should be easy if you just rename everything from an existing class's art files), then some entries in the Guild and Blacksmith and possibly Stage Coach buildings so heroes (1) show up and (2) can be upgraded. Provided you don't do anything fancy with their skills, all the skill stuff goes in the info.darkest file associated with the class. But if you have buffs/debuffs, heals or stress heals, or certain other effects they either need to be added to scripts/effects.darkest or you need to reuse references from the existing effects list (e.g. if you put a Mark on Tracking Shot you can just add a reference to the BH's tag effect, it will then mark without adding the BH's debuff since the debuff is a separate effect).

There may be a master class list somewhere. If you put a gun to my head, maybe I'll go download one of those godawful :nexus: custom classes and see which things they changed to make sure.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Jeza posted:

I decided to take my best team

I played blind (other than looking up the map for part 3 after my first failure there) and i had the opposite problem my first time into the DD, i bought tons of EVERYTHING assuming it was going to have aspects of all the dungeons and ended up only using the bandages and holy water.
if you keep playing maybe read these spoilers about the DD...
Parts 1 and 2 have lots of bleed,
you also need to bring the trinkets you get from Part 1 to Part 2,
Part 3 has lots of blight and movement abilities. you may also want to lookup at the map for Part 3 http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/9/97/Belly_of_the_Beast_map.png

Wafflecopper posted:

Losing someone to a heart attack from retreating is the most annoying death.

heart attacks just put you on deaths door now though, don't they? and if you're already on death door and heart attack its just a deathblow chance, isn't it?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Kly posted:

heart attacks just put you on deaths door now though, don't they? and if you're already on death door and heart attack its just a deathblow chance, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure it's an automatic death if you're already on Death's Door. Also, if you've already had a heart attack and you take basically any stress at all after that and before retreating, you'll be at high enough stress to have a second heart attack if you try to retreat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly, "lots of bleed" doesn't tell me "bring bandages", it tells me "bring a Plague Doctor".

Granted, "it's a dungeon in the game Darkest Dungeon" tells me "bring a Plague Doctor".

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Someone earlier mentioned something about a DD expansion. Has that been confirmed?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Darker Dungeon: Dark Harder will be released in spring 2017

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I went to Darkest Dungeon 1, knew vaguely what to take (Bleed, Shuffle, and Stress would be a problem) and had a party of MAA/GR/Jes/Occ, and got my poo poo pushed in super hard. I lost my Graverobber to enemy focus on the way to the boss, figured I was in a bad position but should still push on because retreat would kill a dude anyway, and then got a party wipe on the Shuffling Horror when I couldn't keep up. Now, between losing 3 Sun Rings, the grind to fight bosses, and the grind to get dudes ready for the DD, I've kind of neglected the game. IMO DD should reduce the late game grind a bit, especially as people who have already beaten the DD will never again go back but will only help on Champ level dungeons, which I am personally reluctant to bring even one non-appropriately leveled character to.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Darker Dungeon: Dark Harder will be released in spring 2017

Wow. Reported!!!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Glidergun posted:

...should reduce the late game grind a bit

you get double XP every time you fail a Darkest Dungeon run

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Node posted:

Someone earlier mentioned something about a DD expansion. Has that been confirmed?

Nope, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear they are planning an expansion.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm making baby steps into the champion dungeons and holy gently caress the dodge on these motherfuckers.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

AnonSpore posted:

I'm making baby steps into the champion dungeons and holy gently caress the dodge on these motherfuckers.

Level five skills make a huge difference for champion dungeons.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kly posted:

Yeah I was on DD already should have mentioned that

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 20, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kly posted:

I played blind (other than looking up the map for part 3 after my first failure there) and i had the opposite problem my first time into the DD, i bought tons of EVERYTHING assuming it was going to have aspects of all the dungeons and ended up only using the bandages and holy water.
if you keep playing maybe read these spoilers about the DD...
Parts 1 and 2 have lots of bleed,
you also need to bring the trinkets you get from Part 1 to Part 2,
Part 3 has lots of blight and movement abilities. you may also want to lookup at the map for Part 3 http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/9/97/Belly_of_the_Beast_map.png

I believe it's just an Auto-Death Blow

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Node posted:

They're adding another class and hamlet events

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Onmi posted:

I believe it's just an Auto-Death Blow

What if it's a Death Autoblow

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Man, champion dungeons have a difficulty SPIKE through the eye. Lost 5 people so far. Time to prepare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXm7-7FSBuY Time for darkness runs.

Also doing fairly good on avoiding what's in the Darkest Dungeon. All I know is trinkets are needed for part 2. Oh boy I can't wait to BE DAZED, REELING, ABOUT TO BREAK.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Huh, I just got the Ancestor's moustache cream from a random battle in a champion dungeon. Didn't know that was a thing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Huh, I just got the Ancestor's moustache cream from a random battle in a champion dungeon. Didn't know that was a thing.

Inescapable raving madness is no excuse for not looking one's best!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I knew the cream was a thing, I just didn't know ancestral trinkets could drop from normal battles instead of being champion long quest rewards only.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ancestral trinkets typically drop from shambler-type enemies or appear as champion-tier long run rewards, but there's also a tiny tiny chance for them to show up in the regular loot tables.

Found the Ancestor's Handkerchief stuffed into a random treasure chest one time.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Anything that can drop from the trinket loot table can drop an Ancestral, but only in Champions:
code:
         "id" : "T",
         "difficulty" : 5,
         "dungeon" : "",
         "entries" :
         [
            { "type" : "nothing", "chances" : 0, "data" : { }},
            { "type" : "trinket", "chances" : 15, "data" : { "rarity" : "very_common" }},
            { "type" : "trinket", "chances" : 30, "data" : { "rarity" : "common" }},
            { "type" : "trinket", "chances" : 35, "data" : { "rarity" : "uncommon" }},
            { "type" : "trinket", "chances" : 12, "data" : { "rarity" : "rare" }},
            { "type" : "trinket", "chances" : 5, "data" : { "rarity" : "very_rare" }},
            { "type" : "trinket", "chances" : 3, "data" : { "rarity" : "ancestral" }},
            { "type" : "trinket", "chances" : 0, "data" : { "rarity" : "ancestral_shambler" }}
         ]
I'm not 100% sure what causes things to roll on this but all chests get an extra chance at a loot table "A" roll in darkness and table "A" can pull from table "T," and I have seen someone find the Ancestor's Pistol in a tree on a stream so they can be called from curios. So if the table gets called then you will receive a trinket (as "nothing" is 0%), and there's a 3% chance it's Ancestral. However, you can't get the Shambler's trinkets from this as those particular Ancestrals are tied to the Shambler drop table. Also the reason you can't get those 5 trinkets from non-Shambler sources; the game considers them completely different trinket types.

EDIT: All Strongboxes can drop trinkets (they pull from "A"), Heirloom Chests cannot unless you're in the dark (they only pull from "H," the heirloom table, unless you are in dark then they can also pull "A"). The following curios can have trinkets: Iron Maidens, Piles of Bones, Decorative Urns (which can only contain gems or trinkets), Confession Booths (only if you don't use Holy Water; they can only contain cash or trinkets), Mummified Remains (cash/trinket), Old Trees, Lost Luggage, Barnacle Crusted Chests, Giant Oysters (cash/trinkets), Giant Fish Carcasses (gems/trinkets and also provisions), and Ancestor's Packs (which draw from a special always-Ancestral trinket loot table).

Packs can only contain provisions, Sacks can only contain money, and Crates can only contain heirlooms. I suspect the "chest" table for dark is actually "all curios," so any curio can drop gold, gems, and trinkets but only as an extra roll in the dark. In full light this won't happen... or isn't supposed to.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 20, 2016

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I think the untold story of this game is asking why the local clown college is turning out so many psychopaths.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's more of a case that terrifying psychopaths are drawn to the local clown college. i mean, it's the natural progression

where do all the weird cultist powerlifters come from? what's with the local gyms?

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 21, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it's more of a case that terrifying psychopaths are drawn to the local clown college. i mean, it's the natural progression

where do all the weird cultist powerlifters come from? what's with the local gyms?

My personal headcanon is that the source of all those cultists are those adventurers you cast off or those adventurers that your predecessors have cast off

It can't be a coincidence that some of the Vestal and Plague Doctor's poses are nearly identical to the female cultists'.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 21, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If I may be forgiven a bit of self-promotion, I just uploaded a playable version of the overhaul mod I've been working on here if anyone would be interested in helping playtest it. It hasn't really had much playtesting beyond basic sanity testing, but it runs and I've been having fun with it so I figure it's time to see about getting some outside input.

(Unfortunately, DD doesn't have any mod management support at this time, so the only way to turn mods on or off is to copy over the files directly--I highly recommend making a backup DD folder before you start messing with mods.)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
All champion bosses are dead.

I'm too scared to try the Darkest Dungeon now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's alright, it'll be fiiiiiine. You're gonna have a good time.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Captain Invictus posted:

the first mission is easy as long as you don't kill the dude in rank 4 in the boss fight

second mission is hard as balls and will make you want to tear your hair out (im stuck on it at the moment), good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Captain Invictus posted:

I read that in the Ancestor's voice and don't believe you.