Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

quote:

COLLINGWOOD should be the first AFL team to be granted a licence for a women’s team in the 2017 competition, given its new multi-million dollar facilities at the Glasshouse, according to president Eddie McGuire.

McGuire said the Magpies were “up to our neck” in the race for a women’s team.

“We have to apply to the AFL, which seems to be quite ridiculous given the fact we have just built a $25-$30 million facility, which is dedicated to women, with state-of-the-art facilities, its own gymnasium, in magnificent surrounds,” McGuire said.

gently caress off shitfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Hey leave him alone he's alright.

Nah, I know.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
At least it's something that dickheads like Eddie are putting their hands up for.

Melbourne and Footscray should have first dibs since they've laid the groundwork though.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

High quality journalism on the age "Tom McDonald and Jesse hogan are both off contract this year" ... "Jesse Hogan is contracted until the end of 2017"

Depends on when Hawthorn decide they want to take Hogan.

Also, gently caress off Eddie. "We are the richest club with the most shiney sparkly things so we should get what we want". There's something so "nice guy" about Eddie's statement. "Aw but I spent all that money on her which entitles me to a root/spent all that money on them means we should get a women's team".

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

High quality journalism on the age "Tom McDonald and Jesse hogan are both off contract this year" ... "Jesse Hogan is contracted until the end of 2017"

we are due to lose another key defender, its generally one walking out every couple of years

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Tom Hickey 1, fences and small children 0.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-02-20/powerhouse-hickey-breaks-wangaratta-fence

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

That's quite amusing, but I feel sorry for the kid that got flattened. Lucky he got up so quickly unhurt, or someone would have copped a hiding.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the wind is so bad it's like they're just kicking a ball around in a hurricane, but idc, fake football is back. :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Eddie Betts kicked a 9 pointer, physics means nothing to him

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Crows vs a WAFL team.

Gore looked good though, as well as a few of their other kids. A couple of blistering runs off the backline.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Makes our 40 odd point loss yesterday seem pretty mild really.

You have to wonder if these 100 point thrashing really do much to "blood" the kids.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

You have to wonder if these 100 point thrashing really do much to "blood" the kids.

but enough about the grand final

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

I think they do. They are looking for attitude, work rate and mentality mostly, and if you can't keep it together and do a few good things when the oppositions star mids are motoring along in second gear what use are you when the real stuff starts?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
From Patrick Keane on twitter:

Congrats Eleni Glouftsis who will become the AFL's first female field umpire in Sunday’s Carlton v Essendon NAB Challenge match at Ikon Park -

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
oh god big footy is going to eat itself

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Volkerball posted:

oh god big footy is going to eat itself

good

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I really can't see any coherent argument as to why we can't have women field umpires (which won't stop BF impotent rage).

Our current crop of male umpires would have never played or only played minimal amounts of the game at a junior level, most struggle to bounce the ball properly, and the only real physical requirement is that you can run and blow a whistle for two hours. Getting women involved means we can get umpires from 50% of the population that wasn't available previously, which has to result in better umpiring overall I would have thought.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Spedman posted:

I really can't see any coherent argument as to why we can't have women field umpires (which won't stop BF impotent rage).

Our current crop of male umpires would have never played or only played minimal amounts of the game at a junior level, most struggle to bounce the ball properly, and the only real physical requirement is that you can run and blow a whistle for two hours. Getting women involved means we can get umpires from 50% of the population that wasn't available previously, which has to result in better umpiring overall I would have thought.

I agree with that sentiment entirely.

I'd just like to correct it slightly though by saying that there are two ex-AFL players umpiring right now. Jordan Bannister and Leigh Fisher are both AFL umpires. Also Brent Wallace used to play for Box Hill.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I also agree, although I'd stress that footy umpires maintain a level of fitness similar to Olympic athletes, so it's not just that they run a bit and blow a whistle.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

its not that hard to maintain a level of fitness similar to olympic athletes, provided those athletes are shooters

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

I also agree, although I'd stress that footy umpires maintain a level of fitness similar to Olympic athletes, so it's not just that they run a bit and blow a whistle.

Absolutely its more than just going for a jog with a whistle, but its not like umpires are expected to do anything a middle-distance runner of either gender couldn't do.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The umpiring will still be poo poo because the AFL refuses to make it a full time professional career.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

spamman posted:

I agree with that sentiment entirely.

I'd just like to correct it slightly though by saying that there are two ex-AFL players umpiring right now. Jordan Bannister and Leigh Fisher are both AFL umpires. Also Brent Wallace used to play for Box Hill.

Andrew Carazzo is now also an umpire.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The thing is, for better or worse (worse) this country tends to thrash out it's social issues through mainstream sports. Having female umpires will become a lightning rod for issues over womens place in traditional masculine roles and respect for women working in those roles. It's only a matter of time before someone loses their block at a female umpire, it becomes a talking point, and then bigfooty starts booing her because it's not about feminism, it's about ethics in umpiring.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a good thing that will be ruined by idiots

Also taking bets on which player loses his block at a female umpire first

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

The thing is, for better or worse (worse) this country tends to thrash out it's social issues through mainstream sports. Having female umpires will become a lightning rod for issues over womens place in traditional masculine roles and respect for women working in those roles. It's only a matter of time before someone loses their block at a female umpire, it becomes a talking point, and then bigfooty starts booing her because it's not about feminism, it's about ethics in umpiring.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a good thing that will be ruined by idiots

Also taking bets on which player loses his block at a female umpire first

I'm looking forward to hearing Jason Akermanis' hot take on female umpires

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm personally glad the Footy Show is still going ahead this year so we can hear Sam Newman's nuanced opinion.

Along with him dressing up as a woman umpire and commenting on how he'd like to ping her for "holding the ball" :suicide:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh gently caress me I'd honest to god forgotten Sam Newman existed

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Spedman posted:

I'm personally glad the Footy Show is still going ahead this year so we can hear Sam Newman's nuanced opinion.

Along with him dressing up as a woman umpire and commenting on how he'd like to ping her for "holding the ball" :suicide:

I'm sure he will throw in a comment about how it's symbolic of what's wrong with the modern game as well

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh gently caress me I'd honest to god forgotten Sam Newman existed

I imagine this is like the modern day Prometheus. Rather than your liver growing back every night just so you can experience it being pecked out again; now you fall asleep and wake up with no knowledge of Sam Newman and have to learn about his existence all over again.

Yeah I can see whenever Glouftsis makes a loving awful decision (and let's face it, she's an umpire so she will) it'll be all down to her being a woman, completely ignoring the multitude of bad decisions for years on end by male umpires. She will be the "worst".

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why can't she just be a maggot or an arsehole, mate? Why does she have to be a <gendered slur> who should go back to <woman's activity>?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hopefully Sandilands gets let off on appeal, it was a seriously weak report

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Testekill posted:

Hopefully Sandilands gets let off on appeal, it was a seriously weak report

What the hell is he supposed to do when midgets try and ruck against him

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Spedman posted:

What the hell is he supposed to do when midgets try and ruck against him

And he was protecting himself from the third man up, his opponent was also pushing him into Griffiths.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It looks like a weak as piss call at first glance, but if you watch it again he pushes off the ruckman into Griffiths and appears to collect him high.

There's a video of it here.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Schlesische posted:

It looks like a weak as piss call at first glance, but if you watch it again he pushes off the ruckman into Griffiths and appears to collect him high.

There's a video of it here.

The issue I have is that it wasnt intended to be a "full bump" like you see in running ball contention. Yes it accidentally caused injury but It was meant to be shoulder to shoulder and 99% of the time wouldnt have been an issue.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Some tweets going around suggesting the Footy Show might be dead?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Shmoses posted:

Some tweets going around suggesting the Footy Show might be dead?

Good. Nothing of value will be lost.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Fingers crossed its dead, the less platforms Newman and co have the better.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Ding dong the witch is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-coaches-association-promises-change-after-clarkson-award-snub-20160222-gn0omy.html

Hawthorn didn't win an award. This is unacceptable, therefore we must change the rules to allow Hawthorn to win next time. It's only fair.

• Locked thread