Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I still won't forgive him for not wearing the floppy officer hat of death though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

I actually thought the Emily arc added a lot to Bright.

It's part of Bright's appeal as a character that he's a relatively normal guy with a lot of personal failings who nevertheless tries his hardest to do the right thing despite how poo poo everything is. He's a notoriously bad father and husband who has spent a lot of his life being desperately unhappy and incredibly stressed due to his career and the politics surrounding it, so it's not at all out of character to imagine him responding to a bangin' hot 80s chick who is all up in his business. It makes him an even more human character, and all the best characters in Gundam are extremely human because of how flawed they are.

Agreeing with this. The whole confrontation scene with him and Emily (while hamhanded) emphasizes the point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I still won't forgive him for not wearing the floppy officer hat of death though.
Choosing to not wear an officer's hat helped him live longer, on the other hand.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

True, but he could have taken it off every now and then to be safe.

I like to think that hat burned alongside all the other Project V stuff they couldn't salvage, Amuro you hat murderer.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Bright never wore it in public because he knew he was only ever nominally in charge, especially when it came to Gundam pilots. Every night when he crawled exhausted in to bed though, he'd open his little nightstand and pull it out, hug it close and then put it on before falling asleep dreaming of a time when he'd finally have the respect and authority he deserved, when Gundam pilots marched to his beat, burgers were plentiful and his kids were good. It's the only way he can sleep properly at night SeanBeanShako and you want to take that away from him and make it just another symbol of failure? You cruel motherfucker you.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"This is bullshit, why am I the only one thats wounded!"

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
"Wufei, you'd better throw that thing before you get shot!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Son Ryo posted:

"Wufei, you'd better throw that thing before you get shot!"

"Not the gun, you dumba-" *BOOM*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So uh, apparently they're turning Gundam Unicorn into a TV broadcast by editing the OAVs down to episode-length snippets under the name Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096. A new OP and ED and narration by Full Frontal.

In a (probably) unrelated note there is a new Gundam Unicorn novel coming out too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

So uh, apparently they're turning Gundam Unicorn into a TV broadcast by editing the OAVs down to episode-length snippets under the name Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096. A new OP and ED and narration by Full Frontal.

In a (probably) unrelated note there is a new Gundam Unicorn novel coming out too.

In totally unrelated news I think I'll go have a nice cold glass of milk.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
what

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, it has to be cheap, at least. Won't watch unless they change the ending to make it less bad.

Still hoping for the impossible: Hathaway's Flash/F91 the Origin/Gaia Gear.

Ohshit a Gihren Assasination Plot OVA would be great too.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
So it's just Unicorn: Edited for tv version. Yippie Ki Yay, Mr. Frontal.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Hopefully this means they'll have plenty of money to spend on the next Gundam series

edit: oh poo poo, it starts in April. Maybe they're just filling the slot while they rush out IBO season 2?

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 21, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm looking forward to seeing jarring quality drops ala the Zeta movies when they have to shift from beautiful reused OVA animation to TV budget animation in the same scene to fill out time.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty much expecting a RE:0096 model kit line to be announced as well.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kanos posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing jarring quality drops ala the Zeta movies when they have to shift from beautiful reused OVA animation to TV budget animation in the same scene to fill out time.

At least it's not a 20 year difference in productions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Plus, they won't have to do that much more footage, so they might be able to put in enough time and effort to make it look good, especially if the extra stuff is largely people talking.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah if it's one thing Unicorn has down already it's sick rear end battle sequences.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can Sunrise really afford to do this much Gundam? Re:0096 probably won't be too expensive, but they're still also working on IBO, Origin OVA's, Thunderbolt, and there's those Build Fighters OVA's we haven't seen yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Can Sunrise really afford to do this much Gundam? Re:0096 probably won't be too expensive, but they're still also working on IBO, Origin OVA's, Thunderbolt, and there's those Build Fighters OVA's we haven't seen yet.

IBO, at least, will be done in a month, which leaves them with a fill-in-the-gaps TV series and six or so not-especially-time-critical OVA episodes. This actually feels like it'll be a bit of a rest period for Sunrise's Gundam department.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

IBO, at least, will be done in a month, which leaves them with a fill-in-the-gaps TV series and six or so not-especially-time-critical OVA episodes. This actually feels like it'll be a bit of a rest period for Sunrise's Gundam department.

The word is IBO has a second season coming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The word is IBO has a second season coming.

Nothing has been confirmed on that at all. There was an amazon listing which people said talked about Season 1 but it didn't actually. It's certainly possible but we have no idea yet.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Raxivace posted:

i'm a little worried about Gundam burn out. Isn't the failure of Gundam X blamed, in part, on people just being tired of Gundam?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Sunrise is sort of desperate to find the magic button that makes Gundam relevant again and Unicorn was the closest to that so far. While model kits are important they're just not really creating long-term fanbases for their shows and they've had more than one serious bomb recently and no unqualified successes. Even Build Fighters sold merch but failed to capture its intended audience.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having a bunch of short OVAs in the works isn't gonna burn folks out. The 90s burnout was from full 50 ep shows airing yearly

Making things shorter means it's not as huge of an investment and they can make more if it's a hit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think Sunrise is sort of desperate to find the magic button that makes Gundam relevant again and Unicorn was the closest to that so far. While model kits are important they're just not really creating long-term fanbases for their shows and they've had more than one serious bomb recently and no unqualified successes. Even Build Fighters sold merch but failed to capture its intended audience.

I think everyone except marketing knew who the intended audience was, because damned if the writers weren't pandering to Gundam fans instead of kids. BFT just didn't know what it wanted to be and just sat in a corner eating paste.

How's IBO doing for model sales, do we know? I like the show, but 5/6 Graze variants can't be doing the line any favours.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ImpAtom posted:

Is there any info on how successful IBO is? I thought it was meant to be doing pretty well.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ratings are horrible, disk sales are about on average with other recent gundam shows, model sales are ok I guess if you listen to distributors and such.

The only reason I'd think Bandai would make a second season is if they are banking on a western release making Gundam relevant in the states again. And out of all the recent gundams, IBO is probably the one that would work best on something like Adult Swim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Is there any info on how successful IBO is? I thought it was meant to be doing pretty well.

What I've heard is the following:

The ratings are poor in Japan. The last numbers I saw were at or below Age's numbers. The model kits are not selling particularly well either. They're not bombing as badly as Age but they're not flying off the shelf either. Barbatos appears to be doing well but otherwise it's been fairly tepid. There is hearsay about it doing better with overseas audiences but that is by its very nature hard to quantify and doesn't represent anything solid. Word of mouth on forums tends to be divided. (Some people adore it but there's also a lot of complaints about it being slow/boring/ect. )

If it is doing well it's a modest success, not a runaway success, but there's too much hearsay to really reliably judge it beyond that at the moment.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ratings are horrible, disk sales are about on average with other recent gundam shows, model sales are ok I guess if you listen to distributors and such.

The only reason I'd think Bandai would make a second season is if they are banking on a western release making Gundam relevant in the states again. And out of all the recent gundams, IBO is probably the one that would work best on something like Adult Swim.

IBO I think is a bit of a tough sell. It has some strengths that can also be weaknesses. The long period of time between mecha fights is refreshing if you're a long-time Gundam watcher or not really in it for the robots but in terms of selling it to a less-receptive audience it runs into the problem of feeling slow or boring. The subject matter is pretty grim and weighty in a way that is difficult to sell. The dub is going to have to sell some pretty hard material and it depends on if it is up to it. I'm not exactly raising my flag over Johnny Yong Bosch as Orga. (He'd be a good Eugine I think.) I certainly think it'd have potential on something like Adult Swim but could easily be misjudged especially since most name recognition that Gundam has is the US is more due to Wing or G than anything.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 22, 2016

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

People seemed to be very keen on it in the IBO thread when it first started, but I kinda lost interest in it :shrug:. The ratings being poor in Japan is kinda interesting, considering the last four or five Gundam shows have all been fairly different in tone and content. I wonder what kind of show would even count as an unequivocal comeback for the franchise at this point.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Red Bones posted:

People seemed to be very keen on it in the IBO thread when it first started, but I kinda lost interest in it :shrug:. The ratings being poor in Japan is kinda interesting, considering the last four or five Gundam shows have all been fairly different in tone and content. I wonder what kind of show would even count as an unequivocal comeback for the franchise at this point.

One with idol protagonists and moe robots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Frankly at this point I feel like it is only a matter of time until they try to do Gundam Girls, an anime-tie to a mobile game about collecting and raising scantly-clad girls wearing Gundam armor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was about to say 'wouldn't that just be Macross?', and then I remembered SEED.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It could be interesting to have an idol fall into the Amuro role, if done well.

Something about how sheltered she was and realizing the horrors of war/how privileged she was/etc.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It could be interesting to have an idol fall into the Amuro role, if done well.

Something about how sheltered she was and realizing the horrors of war/how privileged she was/etc.

A higher class privileged figurehead chick learning about the horrors of war while still being a beacon of hope for the people?

That sounds kind of familiar. They'd just have to add singing to IBO S2.

On the IBO talk though, I really loved it, but I stopped around episode 12 or so, just because stuff got in the way. After a point, I decided to just let it run out and power through it when it was finished, rather than go back and be waiting on new episodes by the end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

A higher class privileged figurehead chick learning about the horrors of war while still being a beacon of hope for the people?

That sounds kind of familiar. They'd just have to add singing to IBO S2.

On the IBO talk though, I really loved it, but I stopped around episode 12 or so, just because stuff got in the way. After a point, I decided to just let it run out and power through it when it was finished, rather than go back and be waiting on new episodes by the end.

Kinda, except the figurehead part and the beacon of hope part, so mostly just the higher class privileged girl learning about the horrors of war part. So different enough to be a different series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, when I think of idols in robot anime, my thoughts usually jump to them being some sort of big figure for the populace, either being manipulated to keep the people down or used by revolutionaries to spread ideas or something.

Maybe I'm letting other shows influence my thinking too much, idk. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Frankly at this point I feel like it is only a matter of time until they try to do Gundam Girls, an anime-tie to a mobile game about collecting and raising scantly-clad girls wearing Gundam armor.

That would be great