Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

(It had the red scrawl on it on reddit, where it is claimed to have been found on facebook.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/X7YdqnM.gifv

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Seems to be self-correcting to me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Daddy D'z BBQ Joynt in Atlanta has one of those. It's my favorite non-food feature.

(pictured here, top center)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

House shopping today and found the lightswitch mothership. This was the worst room, but there were at least 8 separate light switches in EVERY room of the house. Most only controlled a single bulb.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Did you figure out the right combination of on/off to open the secret door?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I like using enough lightswitches, but wow. I'm surprised none of them are dimmers. For when you absolutely need 847 lumens, no more, no less.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Good lord. That must have been a nightmare for the electrician to keep track of where each wire goes to while he was running them and putting up the boxes.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That is a big assumption right there.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kid sinister posted:

Good lord. That must have been a nightmare for the electrician to keep track of where each wire goes to while he was running them and putting up the boxes.

I have a feeling an electrician was not involved in this

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Based on how rough the indentations are I would think the fan dug into the while while operating but that doesn't really make sense

So rather than move the elec box and fan some guys chose to carve channels in the drywall

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm like 90% certain that's an art installation, given the fan seems to have its own spotlight shining on it and only it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

loving hell, I would hate to hit my elbow on that fucker.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I have a feeling an electrician was not involved in this

I have a feeling an electrician was, and he had a lightswitch fetish

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

is that an amethyst crystal :confused:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kilo147 posted:

loving hell, I would hate to hit my elbow on that fucker.

Imagine trying to get crumbs out of it. I can't think of an option outside of just hosing it down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sylink posted:

is that an amethyst crystal :confused:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

One Weird Trick For Losing All Your Elbow Skin

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't even care, I think it's awesome.

Also how weirdly built are you people/your houses if a counter is at elbow height? Mine's just barely above wrist height and I'm only 5'9". :confused:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bad Munki posted:

Also how weirdly built are you people/your houses if a counter is at elbow height? Mine's just barely above wrist height and I'm only 5'9". :confused:

Most of my counters are the same as yours but we have a raised breakfast bar with stools that are elbow height.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Only 5'9...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you wanted to do that properly you could probably encase it in a clear resin or something so that it followed the proper contour of the counter/wasn't a horrible jagged mess and still looked cool.

If you think elbows are bad, wait until your kid runs their forehead into that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ashcans posted:

If you think elbows are bad, wait until your kid runs their forehead into that.

Problem is self-correcting: they'll learn not to do that, or die trying.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yes my counter has nodules and SICK striations

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I wonder how you'd even go about sourcing a stone slab like that with a sweet geode in it. I also really like the idea of filling it with a clear resin to keep the profile/surface but make the geode visible, as Ashcans suggested. Then, hell, you could get a countertop pocked all over with those bad boys. :swoon:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bad Munki posted:

I wonder how you'd even go about sourcing a stone slab like that with a sweet geode in it. I also really like the idea of filling it with a clear resin to keep the profile/surface but make the geode visible, as Ashcans suggested. Then, hell, you could get a countertop pocked all over with those bad boys. :swoon:

Surprise! It's concrete!

http://www.infistone.com/Gallery Scroll down to Project: Jenny Kitchen

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 22, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, that's vastly less exciting. I thought they'd somehow found a slab that had an inclusion. But I ain't learned nothin' in no geology so I don't even know if that's possible. Oh well.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Geodes occur as nodules in sedimentary rocks generally. So it would a slate or sandstone counter or something.

Though some igneous thing isn't out of the question.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, that's vastly less exciting. I thought they'd somehow found a slab that had an inclusion. But I ain't learned nothin' in no geology so I don't even know if that's possible. Oh well.

Well, amethyst comes from geodes that form in volcanic, igneous rock. Amethyst is also a form a quartz, which can occur in granite, so it's possible. However, you'd be talking about finding a geode buried in a cliff face at a quarry, chopping that chunk out of the ground, then slicing it down to this specific section and throwing away the rest.

Up until the 18th century, amethyst was very expensive and included in the 5 cardinal gems, but the price crashed after massive deposits were found around the world. They are now one of the cheapest gemstones. How massive?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Well, amethyst comes from geodes that form in volcanic, igneous rock. Amethyst is also a form a quartz, which can occur in granite, so it's possible. However, you'd be talking about finding a geode buried in a cliff face at a quarry, chopping that chunk out of the ground, then slicing it down to this specific section and throwing away the rest.

Up until the 18th century, amethyst was very expensive and included in the 5 cardinal gems, but the price crashed after massive deposits were found around the world. They are now one of the cheapest gemstones. How massive?

#3 there will make a fine coffin, I'll take it!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

#3 there will make a fine coffin, I'll take it!

So you want a geode for your grave?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Isn't amethyst also relatively easy to synthesize nowadays, and for all practical purposes indistinguishable from natural ones?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
"so, i had a guy come out and check and see if the walls were load bearing. his opinion was that they, in all likelihood, were not load bearing. but you never really know until you start knocking poo poo down..."

Photos:
http://imgur.com/a/10DS3

Reddit Post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/46xzz3/i_decided_to_destroy_a_wall_with_a_hammer_to_open/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Looks pretty crappy:

quote:

Could you do us all a favour and pull off that ceiling grill and take some shots of the joist space. This is killing me.

The one wall should be load bearing because it appears that there is an exterior wall above it (the wall with the gunslot windows). It's also clear that the doorways have 2x10(probably) headers in it because you cut the stud supporting the cripple out with a sawzall and used a prybar to pull it off.

The other wall seems to have some sort of mezzanine or bridge over it, so it could be possible that the floor is designed to span the whole room, but it could also be possible that there is one beam spanning the room and the joists run between that beam and the wall (short way).

What specifically did your Structural engineer friend say?

It is honestly possible that you created a major future issue with your house doing this. It would be well worth it to pull the drywall off the ceiling and have a look at what you actually just did. If you can't afford a few hundred dollars of drywall then you can't afford the (potentially) thousands it would cost to repair the damage that could result in the coming years.

quote:

Engineer and home remodeler here. Those were absolutely load bearing. I base this on the second to last photo showing the hallway and the upper area. There is no way to frame off the left/right upper areas without needing support here. Whether the entire wall was required or just the columns I can't say. That depends entirely on which direction the joists/rafters are running, what size they are, and what is in that area. (Second floor or roof) but 90% certain both of those walls should not have been taken down. Cracked drywall may not be your only issue here. Load bearing member sizes are calculated not off simply keeping the roof from collapsing but from collapsing with snow piled up there. Add 3-4" of wet snow to any roof and it now weighs more than double what it did in the summer.

Strongly recommend having a REAL structural engineer come in to evaluate. They will need to look at the structure under those two areas to evaluate. Simply walking around saying "yep, them are walls" is not sufficient.

To those in this threa stating the framing indicates load bearing: not always. Bear in mind 1. How much work is done by homeowners (read: those that have bo business doing it) and 2. This is pretty much just the standard way to frame anything off in many regions. The double header just makes it easy to tie a wall into a perpendicular wall by overlapping the upper header. (Source on that- worked with Habitat for Humanity for over a decade now in 3 states)

Side note for anyone wanting to do a job like this in a matter of minutes (the demo part anyway) get yourself a Fubar 3 from Stanley. Absolutely the single greatest demo tool ever made. Only available thru Amazon from what I've found. Firefighters use them to brutally smash thru your house to get your rear end out of there.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 22, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I live in a 3 family house. Recently renovated. I went to visit my neighbours downstairs and discovered this, which they have been living with since August...

The grate is too big for the hole that was cut, and is just sitting on the floor not attached to anything.

And then the neighbors upstairs...

I vent that never had a cover put on

I met the general contractor that did the rehab. Bragging about how many job sites be has while there was clearly poo poo that was just never done or done poorly, and wherever I would point something out that wasn't done he would get defensive and talk about how someone must have come in and broken it/removed it.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 22, 2016

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

photo captions posted:

here's what i arrived at. we're gonna reinforce the columns more, plus reinforce the ceiling. originally i was going to do two 2x9"s for the headers, but, that poo poo was really heavy and i was doing this entire project solo, so, shortcuts were made.

I'm sad he's not going to end up posting the "after" photos of his upper floors and roof trying to fall into the hole he just created.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Collateral Damage posted:

Isn't amethyst also relatively easy to synthesize nowadays, and for all practical purposes indistinguishable from natural ones?

So's diamond, hasn't stopped the deBeers people from manipulating the price through monopoly power and an amazing marketing engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

So's diamond, hasn't stopped the deBeers people from manipulating the price through monopoly power and an amazing marketing engine.

Right, but the question is if that was a factor in the price crash of amethyst. I don't think it ever had a similar market situation to deBeers and diamonds.