Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Birb Katter posted:

He spent all those years earning the title Doctor, it would be rude not to address him correctly. Kids these days, no loving manners.

I now wish there were Chinese knockoffs called "Beats by Mr. Dre".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I just mean the Dr. part. I don't think they've ever been called anything other than "Beats by Dre"

Well you kids might not have respect for it, but when a man earns his degree, you should honor him with the appropriate title.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

Why didn't God tell you the lottery numbers, huh, KIM?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Kiebland posted:

How could one predict that there will be someone dying in a bunch of really old people some time in the next 5 years if not divinely instructed?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I think that's just a brand name headphones thing. I was given a pair of bose sound cancelling headphones and the person who gave them to me made a huge deal about how bose was the best. The sound cancelling poo poo wore off and broke in less than a year so I could just hear people a room away talking through them. It didn't take long for the cord to gently caress up and the left ear to go out unless I was sitting like an owl too. I never seem to run into this kind of issue if I'm using a cheap rear end pair of headphones.

That's the opposite of what I said. He got the Pumps in late 1989 or early 1990 and they lasted until 2015.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
And now for actual content:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I feel like this is the person who says "Oh my Gods" at every opportunity and waits expectantly for someone to question why they added the plural. Nobody ever asks, and the years of frustration at not being able to explain how special they are built up and caused them to write that status update.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I admit to not being informed about that whole area of belief systems but isnt Wicca and revivals of ancient pagan religions (e.g. worshipping Greek or Norse gods in a modern context) different things?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RagnarokAngel posted:

I admit to not being informed about that whole area of belief systems but isnt Wicca and revivals of ancient pagan religions (e.g. worshipping Greek or Norse gods in a modern context) different things?

Yes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Tell her that her appropriation of multiple cultural heritages is evil.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Correct, Wicca is modern religion that's less than a century old that largely draws from Crowley and the like.

Also the various pagan religions aren't all compatible just because they're grouped together as pagan, since that basically just means "any non-Abrahimic religion". There are so many conflicting stories about the origins of the world and the gods, different ideas of divine realms, different ways those gods interact with the world, etc that they just can't all be true at the same time. I love reading about the history of religion, so new agers and conspiracy nuts blending the many rich, diverse religions that people across the world and throughout history have followed into a bland, tasteless mush of "I just don't like Christianity, so I'm gonna mangle everything that's not Christianity until it supports my beliefs" drives me up the wall.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I occasionally see people claiming that the gods are symbolically linked to humanity's subconscious or something similar, or that they venerate them as symbols of something else. I always feel bad about finding those weird so I limit myself to looking at the pretty "aestetics" imageset and Google the one that particurly catch my eye.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Correct, Wicca is modern religion that's less than a century old that largely draws from Crowley and the like.

I read the Vampire the Masquerade rulebook ama.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decrepus posted:

I read the Vampire the Masquerade rulebook ama.

Why?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Getting onto something less political, I see things like this getting shared all the time on from my cousin's boyfriend

This one's pretty tame but a lot of them are very strongly 'can't live with em" man vs woman type posts (primarily where the man is annoyed with the woman) and I never understood them. I've never really gotten the "battle of the sexes" bullshit that I seem to see everywhere. I've worked in a hardware store for years and the sheer number of times I've heard men complain about their wives or girlfriends is astounding. There's this ad I hate that always plays on one of the display tvs that's basically this man who repeatedly lies to his wife so he can play with his tools in the garage. Why is advertising a dysfunctional marriage a way to get people to buy a table saw or drill? I'm only in my late twenties and never been married but I have been in long term relationships where it was close enough and I just don't get it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

paradoxGentleman posted:

I occasionally see people claiming that the gods are symbolically linked to humanity's subconscious or something similar, or that they venerate them as symbols of something else. I always feel bad about finding those weird so I limit myself to looking at the pretty "aestetics" imageset and Google the one that particurly catch my eye.

Eh, that's not too far off from something like Hinduism, really. There's not literally a goddess with four arms living up in the clouds, showering people with gold coins. You're praying to the iconic representation of prosperity, or wisdom, or whatever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Garrand posted:

Getting onto something less political, I see things like this getting shared all the time on from my cousin's boyfriend

This one's pretty tame but a lot of them are very strongly 'can't live with em" man vs woman type posts (primarily where the man is annoyed with the woman) and I never understood them. I've never really gotten the "battle of the sexes" bullshit that I seem to see everywhere. I've worked in a hardware store for years and the sheer number of times I've heard men complain about their wives or girlfriends is astounding. There's this ad I hate that always plays on one of the display tvs that's basically this man who repeatedly lies to his wife so he can play with his tools in the garage. Why is advertising a dysfunctional marriage a way to get people to buy a table saw or drill? I'm only in my late twenties and never been married but I have been in long term relationships where it was close enough and I just don't get it.

Pretty sure the marriage sucks line of thought comes from the old days, when once you got married you were stuck, and getting a divorce was enough to kill your career, cost you your kids, etc. The fact that divorce has become more accepted has led to people being much happier as a result, since you don't feel trapped in a loveless relationship anymore.

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah, but a lot of wiccans practice a fusion of actual wicca and paganism. Old Celtic religions/symbiology are really popular, but some people include gods from multiple ancient religions in the same practice. Idk man wicca gets fuckin weird

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Candyblood posted:

Idk man wicca gets fuckin weird

iirc Wiccan rituals involve getting naked and having someone whip the poo poo out of you until you suffer blood loss

I doubt most of them are that hardcore though

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Garrand posted:

It bothers me that they got "you're" right, but couldn't get "channel" right.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

It bothers me that they got "you're" right, but couldn't get "channel" right.

I can't think of a funny joke involving Chanel No. 5 but I want the record to show that I tried.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Kiebland posted:

and what does this mean for america?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lord Chumley posted:

A New Day is arising

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I feel like this is the person who says "Oh my Gods" at every opportunity and waits expectantly for someone to question why they added the plural. Nobody ever asks, and the years of frustration at not being able to explain how special they are built up and caused them to write that status update.

I see "Oh your god!" (Bender from Futurama quote) on occasion, and recently an "Oh my science!" out in the wild. Uggghh.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Lord Chumley posted:

I just want you to know you've made my (new)day.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
loving trump won the primary in my state last night. everyone on my fb feed is upset about it. and it's drawing out who his actual supporters are, and how clueless they really are about the guy too. This guy (and others) politely try and set this little old conservative lady straight but in spite of everything shown to her she just resorts to "lol I'm too old for this I'm going to bed glad this is AMERICA and I can believe whatever I want god bless :v: "

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

loving trump won the primary in my state last night. everyone on my fb feed is upset about it. and it's drawing out who his actual supporters are, and how clueless they really are about the guy too. This guy (and others) politely try and set this little old conservative lady straight but in spite of everything shown to her she just resorts to "lol I'm too old for this I'm going to bed glad this is AMERICA and I can believe whatever I want god bless :v: "

Still more rational and polite than 95% of political discussions on Facebook

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Aesop Poprock posted:

Agreed. I just hate the whole "oh you young people don't know anything" -> gets informed -> "oh well this is America I can believe whatever I want, god bless" poo poo.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Scarf posted:

Agreed. I just hate the whole "oh you young people don't know anything" -> gets informed -> "oh well this is America I can believe whatever I want, god bless" poo poo.

It's not just old people. It's a thing all our stupid brains do. At least she didn't go all psycho and ranty which is how those convos on facebook usually go down.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Exactly. It's the most benign discussion of Trump on fb that I've seen. Still IOSM, though.

Here's something vaguely related and may or may not count as IOSMism:
Exploring Confirmation Bias: Trump VS Putin VS Hitler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zhmyLtbpu4

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mister Adequate posted:

Well you kids might not have respect for it, but when a man earns his degree, you should honor him with the appropriate title.

He didn't spend eight years in school to be called Mister Dre, thank you very much. :colbert:

That said, I don't think John Cena has even a Master's in Thuganomics.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

"We need to bring back military service and save humanity".

Gotta love these priorities.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

mng posted:

I see "Oh your god!" (Bender from Futurama quote) on occasion, and recently an "Oh my science!" out in the wild. Uggghh.

I knew a guy who unironically said "oh my Tesla!" He was basically the avatar of Reddit though, down to an old man hat and ponies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wasn't Tesla basically some kind of proto tech sperg in RL anyway? Like he had a few good ideas and the rest was whackadoodle nonsense that somehow turned him into some kind of tech Jesus to people?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Panfilo posted:

Wasn't Tesla basically some kind of proto tech sperg in RL anyway? Like he had a few good ideas and the rest was whackadoodle nonsense that somehow turned him into some kind of tech Jesus to people?

Nerds like an underdog, and that jock Edison ruined him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Panfilo posted:

iirc, quite a bit of Tesla's whackadoodle nonsense turned out to be correct, they just lacked the scientific underpinnings to test it out. He was in fact a genius who just lived before his time.

Dude was undeniably batshit crazy, tho. It helped that Edison actively worked to drive him even more insane.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also the various pagan religions aren't all compatible just because they're grouped together as pagan, since that basically just means "any non-Abrahimic religion". There are so many conflicting stories about the origins of the world and the gods, different ideas of divine realms, different ways those gods interact with the world, etc that they just can't all be true at the same time. I love reading about the history of religion, so new agers and conspiracy nuts blending the many rich, diverse religions that people across the world and throughout history have followed into a bland, tasteless mush of "I just don't like Christianity, so I'm gonna mangle everything that's not Christianity until it supports my beliefs" drives me up the wall.

It's mostly rooted in the extremely Orientalist fad traditions of rich white Europeans from the late 1800's. Theosophy, Spiritualism, Fourth way, etc.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's mostly rooted in the extremely Orientalist fad traditions of rich white Europeans from the late 1800's. Theosophy, Spiritualism, Fourth way, etc.

Basically. And that whole rabbit hole is pretty interesting as Lon as you don't take it very seriously

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RFC2324 posted:

iirc, quite a bit of Tesla's whackadoodle nonsense turned out to be correct, they just lacked the scientific underpinnings to test it out. He was in fact a genius who just lived before his time.

Dude was undeniably batshit crazy, tho. It helped that Edison actively worked to drive him even more insane.

Makes sense to me. "Sane" sometimes just means your thoughts are agreeable to the status quo. Inventors sometimes gotta be crazy to make weird-rear end connections.

I mean, imagine if someone hadn't considered "do we really need to eat and poop?" and just ate and pooped; we'd still be eating and pooping to this day

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I read a long time ago that tesla also had a massive phobia of hair, and died a virgin because of it.

It also took him a really like time to eat, each bite had to be similar in volume or weight.

Protogoon checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In a different vein of stupidity: