Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Batista was part of a lot of great matches in 2014.

Big Dave/Orton/Bryan at WM
Both Shield vs Evolution matches

His heel promos in 2010 were amazing as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Basic Chunnel posted:

Big Dave always had great chemistry with Taker, so for his best matches you can start there.

He was like a lot of guys, not a spectacular worker, had a great look and a subtle absurd streak to his character work that grew on smarks over time. But I think he could be carried easier than most, so he was capable of great matches with the right opponents. Plus his face turn against Evolution might have been the biggest most memorable pop of the mid-late '00s, with the exception of maybe Cena's surprise Rumble return.

Eddie Guerrero celebrating his WWE title win at the end of WMXX was pretty great.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ayn rand hand job posted:

Eddie Guerrero celebrating his WWE title win at the end of WMXX was pretty great.

Yeah, it's weird that he came out there by himself after the main event, even though his match was much earlier in the night.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I was out of wrestling during Batista's entire run. Whats the general consensus on him and what are some essential matches I should check out?

Everyone remembers him with rose-tinted glasses because of his final heel run, his initial run with Triple H, and the Undertaker matches, which were great, but most of his work was OK at best and people were deathly sick of him being the Guy on Smackdown. He was literally perma-#1 contender for several years.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

But but but...... release the kracken!!!! :can:

bartok
May 10, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Everyone remembers him with rose-tinted glasses because of his final heel run, his initial run with Triple H, and the Undertaker matches, which were great, but most of his work was OK at best and people were deathly sick of him being the Guy on Smackdown. He was literally perma-#1 contender for several years.

You just reminded me of that awful unending feud with Edge where Batista would get outsmarted every PPV but somehow earn another #1 contender spot so they could repeat the cycle until thankfully CM Punk cashed in his first Money in the Bank briefcase and ended it.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

batista and edge had terrible chemistry but they kept loving doing that match, it was maddening

at least it was better than batista losing to the great khali

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

batista and edge had terrible chemistry but they kept loving doing that match, it was maddening

I can't imagine taking all those lazy-rear end Batista Bombs (he stopped giving a poo poo about his form in ... what, 2007? '08?) was all that great for Edge's neck, either.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

How was JBL's WWE champ run in 2004 - 2005 received by smarks? I remember hating him intensely but maybe he was just a really good heel champ and I was 14.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

It was generally poorly received I think they built him up over a week like he went from nothing major to a supposed title contender overnight. Also had the worst stable possibly ever.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Horse poo poo but he had a couple decent promos and matches with Eddie

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

How was JBL's WWE champ run in 2004 - 2005 received by smarks? I remember hating him intensely but maybe he was just a really good heel champ and I was 14.

It was pretty bad. Xpac heat should be renamed JBL heat because the reactions to him were almost entirely "we don't want to see you" from both smarks and casual fans

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

he was ratings poison

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Pretty bad because non-Acolytes/APA Bradshaw is terrible. Also you are a baby and I resent you for your youth.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

titties posted:

Pretty bad because non-Acolytes/APA Bradshaw is terrible. Also you are a baby and I resent you for your youth.

I was 11

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

Wouldn't this make him like mid 20s, he's not exactly in diapers. Presumably

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ICHIBAHN posted:

Horse poo poo but he had a couple decent promos and matches with Eddie

don't forget the barbed wire cage match against Big Show

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
JBL's title run can best be summed up by the match where escaping a steel cage wasn't part of the stipulation but he won by escaping the cage anyway.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Aesop Poprock posted:

SA's demo is really old.

titties
May 10, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah but I'm old as balls dude

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

JBL's title run can best be summed up by the match where escaping a steel cage wasn't part of the stipulation but he won by escaping the cage anyway.

they actually said you could escape the cage to win, but pointed out that there was barbed wire on top and the door was going to be chained, so it'd prove to be near impossible since there was no way out

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Little did they expect that the Big Show's strength would lead to yet another screwjob cage escape

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
JBL was a better promo than I thought he would be after years and years of playing the silent tough guy with Ron Simmons.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
That bullrope match he had with Eddy was still one of the grossest things I've ever seen and don't particularly need to see again.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Croc posted:

It was generally poorly received I think they built him up over a week like he went from nothing major to a supposed title contender overnight. Also had the worst stable possibly ever.

It wasn't quite as memorably bad as X-Factor, but it's a contender for sure.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for the answers. I guess my teen self wasn't in the wrong for hating him back then!

titties posted:

Yeah but I'm old as balls dude

Aren't we all old on these old, gay and dead forums of ours

titties
May 10, 2012

MrBling posted:

That bullrope match he had with Eddy was still one of the grossest things I've ever seen and don't particularly need to see again.

I saw it live. I decided to take my piss break / went outside to smoke during that match, do not regret.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I was fourteen at the time of JBL's title run too, and it was one of the things that turned me off wrestling for years. I did like his entrance music though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
JBL had his moments/upsides. For example, his rich guy schtick felt better realized than whatever the gently caress it was they gave Alberto Del Rio. Then there is also JBL on border patrol, or JBL drunkenly cutting a promo on an inflatable Godzilla.

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
JBL in the stands making GBS threads all over ECW's false finishes at One Night Stand was pretty amazing and surprisingly shooty though it fit the tone of the show. His attempted shoot-murder of Blue Meanie later in the show was amazing in the negative way.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I was fourteen at the time of JBL's title run too, and it was one of the things that turned me off wrestling for years. I did like his entrance music though.

I feel old

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ChrisBTY posted:

It wasn't quite as memorably bad as X-Factor, but it's a contender for sure.

I was rewatching some 2001 Raw episodes lately, and X-Factor was actually a great little midcard stable for the month or so I watched. They were feuding with the Dudleys and getting good heat from the crowd. Justin Credible wasn't really necessary though, it's more the duo of X-Pac and Albert that worked. Really, "little guy who runs his mouth and has a big guy who backs him up" is a staple for a reason.

Also their awesome theme helped.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

And here I thought we were friends.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

triplexpac posted:

Had me going up until the last line.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Now guys, I know you hate X-Factor's Theme but you ain't got to talk to triplexpac like that.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

is Here Comes the Pain the beat modern Era wrestling game, or is Shut Your Mouth better

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They're both really good. Which one has the career mode where you form a five man faction that is completely randomly selected and almost always stupid? Because that one is the best.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ostentatious posted:

is Here Comes the Pain the beat modern Era wrestling game, or is Shut Your Mouth better

HCTP

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whichever one allowed you to wrestle in Time Square and do elbow drops off of buildings/a helicopter was the best one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As a general rule, the stupider a video game is, the better.

Which is of course why the best wrestling game is WWE All-Stars, with a close second to whichever Smackdown vs. Raw had a storyline where Candice Michelle turned you into a chick via magic.