Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I could kinda see an argument that if taking something from somebody doesn't cost the 'victim' anything it might lead to people not valuing the thing they're taking, but it doesn't seem to be the argument they're making. Really I just think that condition could do with being toned down - that's the difference between emotional vampire and someone skimming emotions off the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Unless they're going to let Mortan Joe resist, the best strategy is to harvest constantly and try to fight off whatever comes at you. An entire city drained of Willpower is a less helpful clue than you'd think. Plus it gives you an infallible Splat-detector. "Huh, they still have feelings. Better sic my easily manipulated mob of dead-eyed normals on them, see what happens."

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Peztopiary posted:

Unless they're going to let Mortan Joe resist, the best strategy is to harvest constantly and try to fight off whatever comes at you. An entire city drained of Willpower is a less helpful clue than you'd think. Plus it gives you an infallible Splat-detector. "Huh, they still have feelings. Better sic my easily manipulated mob of dead-eyed normals on them, see what happens."

You can also deal with hunters just by draining them and then using Beaten Down to get them to gently caress off.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Looking over Reticent, I think it's actually meant to give the victim a bonus against being manipulated:

quote:

"Your character has lost emotion, and is but a dull reflection of her normal self. She loses all Willpower, and cannot regain Willpower so long as she has this Condition. However, she gains a +3 bonus to any attempts to manipulate her emotions, or move her to impulsive action. If left unchecked, this Condition lasts either one week, or two days per dot of the changeling’s Wyrd who caused it, whichever is longer."

I mean, it needs editing either way, but it's pretty clear it's the victim getting the bonus in which case it makes no sense that it makes them easier to manipulate. Plus it makes more sense - you've lost your emotions, so it's harder to play on them to get you to do stuff.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

How about they just lose a point of Willpower for every Glamour you take? Also you have to bite them on the neck.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Tried and tested!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm thinking of running a game of VTR 2e where the starting mission is to investigate who is selling a vampire drug that "cures" vampires of the hunger, especially popular among clueless fledgelings. Actually of course it just numbs them to the feeling and they nod off or black out until they frenzy from starvation.
I don't know a whole bunch about the lore, can vampires be effected by mundane drugs?

I'm guessing not so is there anything in the lore I can use for the source of this drug? Faeries, mages, wyrm-stuff? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

I'm thinking of running a game of VTR 2e where the starting mission is to investigate who is selling a vampire drug that "cures" vampires of the hunger, especially popular among clueless fledgelings. Actually of course it just numbs them to the feeling and they nod off or black out until they frenzy from starvation.
I don't know a whole bunch about the lore, can vampires be effected by mundane drugs?

I'm guessing not so is there anything in the lore I can use for the source of this drug? Faeries, mages, wyrm-stuff? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Vampires aren't normally affected by drugs but that doesn't make it impossible. The most probable source of the drug is the Ordo Dracul but you can use pretty drat near anything.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Mendrian posted:

Vampires aren't normally affected by drugs but that doesn't make it impossible. The most probable source of the drug is the Ordo Dracul but you can use pretty drat near anything.

"Mages?"

"Mages."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I read a very similar plot point in one Changeling 1e supplement or another; the drug was a goblin fruit, and instead of curing the hunger it gave vampires the sensation of being human again. So there is a precedent in Hedgegrown stuff.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I read a very similar plot point in one Changeling 1e supplement or another; the drug was a goblin fruit, and instead of curing the hunger it gave vampires the sensation of being human again. So there is a precedent in Hedgegrown stuff.

I've had something similar show up in a vampires game I was in. A drug made by a Mage that turns the user back to before they were monstrous. Vampires loved it obviously, and it was distributed in the form of Cigarettes, so no one would look suspicious taking it. Oh so many fun times were had by all. Especially when the drat thing wore off of someone I was interrogating, and what had been a lovely harmless human, quickly turned back into a psychotic 4th gen Follower of Set.

I really should have seen that one coming.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Goblin Vow Preview is up

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I was figuring one of the NPCs would be one of the groups vampire buds and shed be an Ordo Dracul agent of some sort investigating the drug to see if it does what it says (it doesn't) but she's took shitloads of it to maintain her cover and its probably difficult to discern where her cover begins and her now huge habit ends.
I figure it'd basically stop the hunger and any visible symptoms of gettin' too thirsty and stop vamps from throwing up food until they're off it so they get fooled into thinking they can sustain themselves normally.

Also it has a shitload of addictive qualities and makes you feel absolutely brilliant. If a player takes the drug using their disciplines won't remove blood points, as far as they know they've got infinite blood as long as they're taking it, but really, I'm secretly counting how much blood they're actually using and if they run out they frenzy immediately.

It could all be a scheme by the mysterious VII, but I think instead its just going to be some hare-brained money making scheme that went wrong, possibly all orchestrated Just As Planned by some greater power.

e: and actually having it be some mage would-be drug dealer lets the players toy with some human opponents and then tougher stuff could be draugr addicts or whatever or the mage

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 21, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

I actually quite like this. A bit of flexibility, while also playing into the already established pact rules. Plus, I like that you can kind of make the pact at any time as long as you've got an aspect around to draw from.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Goblin Vow is the best thing. It and pledges in general should really be played up as the changeling magic more so than contact.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nopantsjack posted:

I was figuring one of the NPCs would be one of the groups vampire buds and shed be an Ordo Dracul agent of some sort investigating the drug to see if it does what it says (it doesn't) but she's took shitloads of it to maintain her cover and its probably difficult to discern where her cover begins and her now huge habit ends.
I figure it'd basically stop the hunger and any visible symptoms of gettin' too thirsty and stop vamps from throwing up food until they're off it so they get fooled into thinking they can sustain themselves normally.

Also it has a shitload of addictive qualities and makes you feel absolutely brilliant. If a player takes the drug using their disciplines won't remove blood points, as far as they know they've got infinite blood as long as they're taking it, but really, I'm secretly counting how much blood they're actually using and if they run out they frenzy immediately.

It could all be a scheme by the mysterious VII, but I think instead its just going to be some hare-brained money making scheme that went wrong, possibly all orchestrated Just As Planned by some greater power.

e: and actually having it be some mage would-be drug dealer lets the players toy with some human opponents and then tougher stuff could be draugr addicts or whatever or the mage

Somehow, it feels more nWoD if it's just someone who fell assbackward into the drug and then things got out of hand.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Make it a human development from TF:V, Cheiron, or The Ascending Ones who were trying to cure/control vampires, failed, but realized that it was basically vampire crack and sold it on the streets to finance other projects. Vampires are freaking out about a world-changing development that's really just the magic CIA selling crack to finance monster Contras.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Precambrian posted:

Make it a human development from TF:V, Cheiron, or The Ascending Ones who were trying to cure/control vampires, failed, but realized that it was basically vampire crack and sold it on the streets to finance other projects. Vampires are freaking out about a world-changing development that's really just the magic CIA selling crack to finance monster Contras.

I like this idea too, keep the dumbass mage as a patsy then lets it scale up.

Another odd question, one of my friends is being a Gangrel and wants to shift into some cool animals and his first personal mission thing is to get into a zoo. This leads me to my question, can a vampire drink all the blood in an elephant without bursting?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I've had something similar show up in a vampires game I was in. A drug made by a Mage that turns the user back to before they were monstrous. Vampires loved it obviously, and it was distributed in the form of Cigarettes, so no one would look suspicious taking it. Oh so many fun times were had by all. Especially when the drat thing wore off of someone I was interrogating, and what had been a lovely harmless human, quickly turned back into a psychotic 4th gen Follower of Set.

I really should have seen that one coming.

I'm pretty sure this literally shows up in the Daeva book for VtR.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

nopantsjack posted:

I like this idea too, keep the dumbass mage as a patsy then lets it scale up.

Another odd question, one of my friends is being a Gangrel and wants to shift into some cool animals and his first personal mission thing is to get into a zoo. This leads me to my question, can a vampire drink all the blood in an elephant without bursting?
I think that elephants are too big to transform into with Protean. Tell him to go into the woods and find a grizzly bear, they're a loving amazing "war form" transformation.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

bewilderment posted:

Probably, but I doubt that's where she got it from. My GM can't stand Requiem. She's V:tM all the way through. But she loves the hell out of C:tL, and Promithain. I suggested once trying to use the conversion rules. But it ended up being way too much effort. :shrug:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Yawgmoth posted:

I think that elephants are too big to transform into with Protean. Tell him to go into the woods and find a grizzly bear, they're a loving amazing "war form" transformation.

Elephants are way too big (Protean lets you shift into animals between Size 1 and Size 7), plus Protean only lets you transform into predatory animals, carrion-eaters, and those associated with death or plague. Bears fit all of those qualifications, as do crocodiles, big cats, and probably anacondas or other large constrictor snakes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GimpInBlack posted:

Elephants are way too big (Protean lets you shift into animals between Size 1 and Size 7), plus Protean only lets you transform into predatory animals, carrion-eaters, and those associated with death or plague. Bears fit all of those qualifications, as do crocodiles, big cats, and probably anacondas or other large constrictor snakes.
Little cats too, which I like for an innocuous stealth form. Still a predator, and they're associated with (infant) death!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

bewilderment posted:

It's had a callback or two (including in the 2e corebook), but it has an entire section writeup in Mythologies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mythologies was so freakin' good. Just a big book of cool optional stuff, from alternate origins for vampires to (the first) Vampire Bloody Mary.

It's version of Torpor and the Sleep of Ages is the one's I'll always use.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Got an oWoD question for you: Is there a good way of peeling the racist layers off the Ravnos, or are they a lost cause?

I hear v20 Dark Ages might be a good stab in that direction, but it's a bit pricey for me to just buy on spec.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Yawgmoth posted:

Little cats too, which I like for an innocuous stealth form. Still a predator, and they're associated with (infant) death!

One of my favourite Changeling characters was a Leechfinger who was overcome with guilt every time they looked at children, without sufficient memories to explain why. Denial was more than just a river in Egypt in that game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

potatocubed posted:

Got an oWoD question for you: Is there a good way of peeling the racist layers off the Ravnos, or are they a lost cause?

I hear v20 Dark Ages might be a good stab in that direction, but it's a bit pricey for me to just buy on spec.

It's not really that hard. Just decouple "con man" from "gypsie". I would probably just make them non-racially-specific conmen.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

potatocubed posted:

Even if you succeed, you'll still have to explain away how they serve the exact same character-expression as the Malkavians, just using "Compelled Vice" instead of "Madness" and "Chimistry/Animalism/Fortitude" instead of "Dementation/Auspex/Obfuscate", respectively.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mendrian posted:

It's not really that hard. Just decouple "con man" from "gypsie". I would probably just make them non-racially-specific conmen.

A friend of mine made a similar suggestion for the Assamites; non-racially-specific sneaky assassins.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

A friend of mine made a similar suggestion for the Assamites; non-racially-specific sneaky assassins.

The great thing about all the weird clans is that they all come packaged with paths and ideaolgies. Just tweak the paths to not be bastardized versions of real cultures and you've even got a motivation for Clan Conartist, Clan Assassin and Clan rear end in a top hat.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Do the Sabbat not exist in 2e vampire? Is there a replacement organisation that does the whole natural selection thing where they embrace randos then send them into battle? I thought that made for really interesting potential antagonists in older Sabbat members who'd been through the trial by fire.

Guess I can always make some kinda crazy church of longinus cult if not.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

nopantsjack posted:

Do the Sabbat not exist in 2e vampire? Is there a replacement organisation that does the whole natural selection thing where they embrace randos then send them into battle? I thought that made for really interesting potential antagonists in older Sabbat members who'd been through the trial by fire.

Guess I can always make some kinda crazy church of longinus cult if not.
Not really, the closest you get to that is probably Belial's Brood although I could definitely see a covenant or even a multi-clan bloodline based around such a concept.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, and as an added bonus it would be separate from all the other baggage that comes with the Sabbat.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, Belial's Brood is probably the closest, but I feel like nWoD vampire's setting is so decentralized across isolated domains and leaves so much room for the storyteller and players to play around in and fill in the blanks, you could very easily design a new covenant that reflects the Sabbat's ideology, traditions, and practices, just like a lot of the vanilla Covenants (especially the Invictus) have inherited a lot of the basic assumptions about what a city under the oWoD Camarilla looks like.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

You won't be too far off if you split the Sabbat into Circle of the Crone (Paths of non-humanity, Koldun sorcery, Vicissitude) and Lancea Sanctum (the weird psuedo-Catholic dogma, ignoable rituals et al); while splitting Anarch into the Carthian Movement and the Tremere into Ordo Dracul, leaving everyone else as an Invictus.

Sab only really makes sense combining the True Black Hand / Pack-Regent dynamics / inhumanity when you realize how cosmopolitan your expected Cam game is, even ignoring the independent-but-hanging-around Settites/Giovani aspects.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Thanks for the answers guys, now for another stupid question: how I make vampire punch good? My girlfriend wants to be an aztec punch-vampire and shes got a huge brawl dicepool but only deals bashing and it seems like any defense will severely dampen anything she does. Is there a trait I've missed to turn her fists to lethal or give them damage bonuses?

Oh also when you're rolling your dicepool for an attack, i know the number of successes determines the damage but what determines the DC?

This campaigns starting up this weekend so I'm plumbing through the rules and building people's vamps.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

nopantsjack posted:

Thanks for the answers guys, now for another stupid question: how I make vampire punch good? My girlfriend wants to be an aztec punch-vampire and shes got a huge brawl dicepool but only deals bashing and it seems like any defense will severely dampen anything she does. Is there a trait I've missed to turn her fists to lethal or give them damage bonuses?

Oh also when you're rolling your dicepool for an attack, i know the number of successes determines the damage but what determines the DC?

This campaigns starting up this weekend so I'm plumbing through the rules and building people's vamps.

I think some of the mundane fighting styles in the God Machine Chronicles or new Chronicles of Darkness corebooks will do that for you.

E: brass knuckles will also work on an xp budget

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

First up, if your group is using fighting styles the martial arts one has some nasty stuff for unarmed combat - lethal strikes, autodamage when people get close to you, easier called shots, etc.

Second, called shots can do some nasty things and don't care what kind of damage you're dealing. Look at the Tilt rules for examples.

Vampire tricks-wise, Vigor's nice - you get its dots added to your strength forever, which leads to nice attack dice pools, and can spend 1 vitae to add its rating to your base damage with unarmed attacks for one turn. Alternatively, Protean 2 gets you claws that do 1L, Resilience gives you extra health and armour in a pinch, Celerity allows you to avoid getting hit, close fast with enemies and interrupt other people's actions.

As for attacks, you roll Stat+Skill-Defence and if even one dice comes up success you've hit. Then you take your successes, add your weapon's damage (0 here), subtract armour (down to a minimum of 1B) and that's how much damage they take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

nopantsjack posted:

Like Flavivirus said, Vigor is the Discipline you want; for 1 Vitae you can add your dots in Vigor as a weapon bonus, in addition to Vigor always adding to your Strength. One thing to note about that: In second edition games, all weapons deal lethal damage. That includes Vigor-enhanced fists, so for the cost of 1 Vitae per attack you can punch through rib cages no problem (at least against mortals and things that take lethal damage from weapons--vampires don't).

For defense, remember that CoFD combat is designed to be a battle of resource: if you want to put a serious hurt on people, you have to commit. Spend Willpower on attacks, use the all-out attack option if you're reasonably sure you can take them down in one blow, go for surprise, use Vitae to add to your Strength pools if you can afford to do that and power Vigor in the same turn, etc.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "DC;" any die that shows an 8 or higher is a success, and that number never changes. Likewise, there's no threshold for success. As long as you get at least 1 success, you hit and deal damage equal to successes rolled + weapon damage bonus.