Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i don't even understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
^^ I... What? I need more angles!

Gonna crosspost this from my thread because it's definitely a horrible mechanical failure.

gently caress you, AEM fuel pump. A mate came over today and we decided we were going to install the new fuel pump, plumb in the flex-fuel sensor, and maybe install the wideband. As you can guess, this did not happen.

This was a brand new out of the box AEM 50-1215 fuel pump, I dropped it into my Legacy (it is a drop-in, 320lph @ 43.5psi, ethanol and methanol compatible pump) and it just went -clik-. No whir. No fuel pressure. Womp womp.

So having had to remove/reinstall the pump/filter (in-tank filter...) assembly like five times (because I had to reinstall the old pump to make the thing move), six hours after starting what should have been a simple job, I decided to disassemble it out of rage. Enter Dremel.

I discovered why it was DOA. I had dropped it earlier (while still wrapped in bubblewrap) and damaged an inconsequential part of the connector; I was convinced that me dropping it was what killed it, but nope!

See that little sort of raised plastic nubbin left behind by the casting mold? That used to be ~3.5mm high, before I trimmed it. I should have taken a photo before I trimmed it, but I was angry, and I wanted to know if I was right.

I was. The little raised plastic nubbin (of which there were two, only one high enough to be a problem) was running into this plastic channel cast into the upper case section;

It's not really visible in the photo but if you look inside with a flashlight you can actually see marks on the plastic where said nubbin/sprue was running into the plastic.

This basically meant that instead of spinning at however many RPM, the pump had just slightly under one rotation of function. How the poo poo this passed QC is beyond me. Had I known this was the problem I likely could have just run the pump back and forth a few times to machine the plastic down, but of course that would have just clogged up the pump outlet.

I might have to send a disgruntled email to AEM. instead i have just ordered two more pumps with the fastest shipping i could find as apparently nobody in australia stocks them

On the plus side, I did discover that the impeller for the pump (which is like 4mm thick) is 3D printed (out of metal); it has the visible layers you expect from 3D printing and also some fairly impossible-to-cast-or-machine structures. Pretty neat.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just grab a Bosch external fuel pump off any CIS fuel injected European car in the wreckers

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

You Am I posted:

Just grab a Bosch external fuel pump off any CIS fuel injected European car in the wreckers

But plumbing in an external fuel pump is a biiiiiiiitch :v: and i already bought the AEMs

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

You Am I posted:

Audi 100s have a Bosch 040 usually, good for about 5-600hp

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sudo Echo posted:

i don't even understand

Oh I've seen this trick before, they just use a trick tree with magnets to hold it to each side of the dollar bill.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I knew someone who was an engineer at AFCO (joint Bosch/Denso operation but mostly Bosch engineering culture) and when they did tear-downs of competitors' pumps they were consistently appalled at the quality they saw. They also would get back a depressing number of pumps that had "failed" and been replaced by dealers that were 100% fine. Can't charge $800 for "re-seated connector, works fine now".

I remember him talking about how when E10 and E85 first became a thing they were having a hell of a time getting an ethanol-compatible brush-commutator system to hit the automaker's lifetime requirements, not to mention their own internal lifetime requirements. So they got their hands on a box of the pumps a competitor was pitching to the automaker as meeting their requirements and found out that they were just straight up lying about lifetime because they were just using the same system that they used non-blended gas which ethanol would wreck in a relatively short amount of time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How do you even test a fuel pump for lifetime? Most of its lifetime is spent sitting in stale gas while the car is not being driven for 19 out of its 20 years of existence.

Any more fuel pump factory stories? Competitor tear down stories are the best.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Estimations. You keep many of them running for an amount of time and, with a bit of the good old heuristic sense and material spec sheet, extrapolate based on damage/wear.

Or just lie out your rear end.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yup. Put it in a bath of water-saturated E10 and heat it up to simulate years of aging in a few weeks, then start/stop cycle the hell out of it with restricted flow in to simulate heavy use with a partially clogged intake strainer. Running it at higher temperature and high voltage for long periods of time lets you get a good estimate of wear rates for the electrical components as well.

My favorite story though was about how they were providing a new model of fuel pump assembly for a redesigned sedan from one of the big 3. Everything was great until the initial vehicles off the line showed a tendency to damage part of the fuel pump assembly during heavy maneuvering with a half tank of fuel. They (fuel pump Co + automaker) tracked it down to the fuel tank manufacturer having omitted a rather important baffle but also during the testing the automaker engineers figured out that a strategically placed fuel resistant zip tie was enough to prevent the damage for occurring anyway. The German company contacts were all in favor of saying that the part met spec and it wasn't their problem but the American engineers and management pointed out that the automaker would need to stop production (and accepting fuel pump shipments) to get new fuel tanks. The end result was they let the the automaker choose what color zip tie they would like.

This was a while ago but he could pull out an absolutely amazing rant about the "E10 compatible cars will be just fine with E15" bullshit being advanced in support of E15.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sudo Echo posted:

i don't even understand

I know right? How did a mercury get to europe?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

Apparently LEO, and impaled itself on a traffic light when it came down.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

Apparently LEO, and impaled itself on a traffic light when it came down.

Low Earth Orbit? Would explain both.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

NoWake posted:

Low Earth Orbit? Would explain both.

Instead of Rods from the Gods, it's Streetlight from the Gods? It doesn't scan the same way.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A used contour is way cheaper than those tungsten rods or whatever they're made of.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I still don't understand.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StormDrain posted:

The pole is probably being held up by the wires at the top.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Uthor posted:

The pole is probably being held up by the wires at the top.

That's what I figured, I just couldn't see any in the backgrounds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The front end is oddly un-deformed, but you can see where the impact was under the left headlight.

Maybe the pole was secured to the ground with balsa wood or something.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Russia is all you need to know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Are street poles made of plastic? How is the car in such great shape compared to how it SHOULD be?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My guess is that something else hit the pole, it swung up and the Mercury wound up under it's inevitable return trip to Earth.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Most light poles are designed to break off at the bottom so they don't murder the guy crashing into them like trees do.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

So I bought a "Ran when parked 5 years ago", not registered in 20 years, no paperwork Suzuki TS250 for $325, because what can go wrong with that, right? Got it running same day, and noticed half the electrical system didn't work, and it was woefully hard to kick over (Also the kickstarter would jam after every 3 or 4 tries), took a drat good kick to start, and wouldn't idle under ~2000RPM (This being after we fixed its carb and replaced everything made of rubber).

So, after it running beautifully on country back roads for ~20 miles at 60MPH, it wouldn't start the next the day. No spark, no power, nothing. We traced the wiring back to the magneto, and pulled off the cover to look.

"Hey, why are all these wires falling out, is something broken under.. Oh.."

I have no idea how the bike even ran at those speeds. One coil was completely free inside the case spinning like a washing machine with the missing metal still connected to it, and the others were held together with hope. It didn't even make any scary noises. How on earth does that break like that?

PhoenixWing fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 22, 2016

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
You'll probably find some bent to poo poo screws somewhere as well. When you have the stator off, replace the crank seal too; it looks to be as old as the bike, and is probably leaking.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

nm posted:

id like to know the answer to this.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Most light poles are designed to break off at the bottom so they don't murder the guy crashing into them like trees do.

I am guessing that there is a missing section of pole about 1.5m in height (based on the triangular sign being 2m off the ground before crash).

Car hits pole, bottom section flies off forwards out of shot, car stops, rest of pole lands vertically on car bonnet - suspended by cables above,

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Preoptopus posted:

I'm more curious about why. Especially since it's a derivative of the Mondeo anyway.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

The pic is in Russia, so it was probably exported from the west coast of the US. I know the east side of Russia gets a lot of Japanese imports, so much that the sheer amount of RHD cars there (in a LHD country) is a problem. Don't see why they wouldn't import from America too, what with the US being RHD.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I get that it obviously got imported my dads buddy used to import cars to Russia (via finland so they didnt get stolen) But it was only big American SUV's cop cars, and limos. And the orders came first. The fact that someone in Russia would want that pile of poo poo and pay out the rear end to import it is what im having trouble with.

This guy is on my level

Godholio posted:

I'm more curious about why. Especially since it's a derivative of the Mondeo anyway.

thinking about it I would wager it was brought over by an American troop stationed in Germany or something, promptly stolen and resold in Russia.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 22, 2016

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

I get that it obviously got imported my dads buddy used to import cars to Russia (via finland so they didnt get stolen) But it was only big American SUV's. And the orders came first, The fact that someone in Russia would want that pile of poo poo and pay out the rear end to import it is what im having trouble with.

Yeah but people are weird. Ive seen an imported LHD Saab 9-2x in the UK. It's not like we don't have Subaru's here. You could probably import all the special snowflake SAAB bits from the UK for the same hassle as importing then driving an obscure badge engineered car with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Although I guess US forces stationed in the UK may explain some weird imports to the UK, which wouldn't be a thing in Russia, but it might have been an ex pat returning home.

The moment I saw that 9-2x my first thought was that I wanted it

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sudo Echo posted:

i don't even understand

That pole was obviously flying through the air, had a sudden heart attack, and crashed into that car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nitrogen posted:

That pole was obviously flying through the air, had a sudden heart attack, and crashed into that car.

Are you sure it wasn't just pretending for the insurance payout?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Preoptopus posted:

In Lithuania and Poland i've seen a fair few mundane USDM cars rolling around, probably even easier to bring them over to Russia. Most baffling was a US spec MKI Focus, I mean surely they couldnt have just bought one of the several million european ones on the continent.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Goddamn chinese pot metal. Air line fitting from my hobo freight air compressor. Now I gotta figure out how to fix it, and it's probably some dumbass metric fitting.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
3/8" or 1/2" air hose with some hose clamps make a great adapter.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

gently caress my life.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

gently caress my life.

I feel your pain.I just did headgaskets on a 97 Chevy 3500 van. Wooh 5.7 heavy heads. Then its put back together and has no oil pressure. Good thing me and the other guy I work with begged my boss to just sell them a junkyard motor......:suicide:

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Nomex posted:

3/8" or 1/2" air hose with some hose clamps make a great adapter.

They are also much easier to replace when the lovely Chinese made things break too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Where I'm currently at with my '73 Jeep 304

Every rocker is loose which explains that skeletons jacking off to beethoven's 9th on a metal roof while it's raining ball bearings sound that engine always made.