Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah, it's a bit silly to mix those too

but i think that she has simplified character design on purpose, so that she can poo poo out a billion comics every week

I will kill you with your own katana for this post, hog wilde. That's right, the katana your mother never wanted you to have...

But seriously, the fact that SSSS is basically a daily with that quality of art is beyond impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

i think that she has simplified character design on purpose, so that she can poo poo out a billion comics every week

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

oh, huh. honestly thought that character was a guy. the driver's brother (the scout) also threw me off for a while in the other direction.

it also probably doesn't help that everyone's covered in a minimum of three layers of all clothes at all times, owing to their presence in a subarctic hellscape.

Minna Sundberg's interests include forests, nordic knot things, and really scrawny dudes

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's an unfair criticism, but Minna Sundberg's dialogue reads exactly like every long-form webcomic. Like it's what I imagine when I think "webcomics that are not gag-a-day".

it's very, uh, understated, in a way that reminds me of how people were suddenly freaking out at the very end of A Redtail's Dream realizing after the story was nearly over that the protagonist was kinda a psychopath

when it works, it really works, but it's not exactly her strong point and doesn't make for riveting reading from page to page. when combined with the rest of the art and pacing in SSSS it's basically the most relaxing comic strip about the zombie apocalypse imaginable

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 18, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Space-Bird posted:

I will kill you with your own katana for this post, hog wilde. That's right, the katana your mother never wanted you to have...

But seriously, the fact that SSSS is basically a daily with that quality of art is beyond impressive.

my body is ready

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Minna Sundberg's interests include forests, nordic knot things, and really scrawny dudes
...when combined with the rest of the art and pacing in SSSS it's basically the most relaxing comic strip about the zombie apocalypse imaginable

You just described why I love it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Our most sacred sex position

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Dead Philosophers finally updated after two years!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I don't know if it already got posted in this thread but here's a short completed thing from the person who does Tove : http://hinderween.tumblr.com/post/132111364473/page-1

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
been reading a comic lately about a violent superpowered rear end in a top hat who ends up getting a plea deal to become a supercop because her dad's a bigshot

honestly i don't like the protagonist very much? but i like some of the character designs in this thing. check out these pages out

anyway it's named Paradise and it's on tumblr and tapastic, pick your awkward hosting poison if your interested

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Tollymain posted:

been reading a comic lately about a violent superpowered rear end in a top hat who ends up getting a plea deal to become a supercop because her dad's a bigshot

honestly i don't like the protagonist very much? but i like some of the character designs in this thing. check out these pages out

anyway it's named Paradise and it's on tumblr and tapastic, pick your awkward hosting poison if your interested

this owns

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i actually like the mc's design too, it's just, i'm kind of tired of violent superpowered antiheroes in general? mostly male characters, she at least breaks from that mold sorta i guess

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

seems kind of early to judge, it's not like there's been a whole lot of character development yet. The way you described it I thought she was going to be waaaay more reprehensible, honestly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Something about those screenshots makes me think the author reads a lot of One Piece.

Not that I'm objecting to that if it's true.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Something about those screenshots makes me think the author reads a lot of One Piece.

given the fanart for it on their twitter, I'm gonna go ahead and say that JoJo is a huuuuge influence. Prob just shonen anime in general, too.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Today in Prague Race:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is it supposed to be pronounced Prague as in the city, or like a stereotypical Japanese person saying "plague"? I can never tell.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Last time the thread figured it was supposed to be pronounced "Progress".

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

Last time the thread figured it was supposed to be pronounced "Progress".

iirc it was only one tard who thought that

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Meanwhile, in Demon:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This was my first thought, as well.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is it supposed to be pronounced Prague as in the city, or like a stereotypical Japanese person saying "plague"? I can never tell.

p sure it's supposed to be prague as in the city. the 'progress' thing is the closest thing I've ever seen to a real explanation why, even though it doesn't really sound like that and wouldn't be a pun that actually made sense in context if it did. guess you gotta call your comic something

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 21, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Niton posted:

Meanwhile, in Demon:

Ebola seems like a poor defense against a citadel storming. By the time it kill anyone, the attack will be long-since over.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe they just have a group of people infected with ebola to the point that they're thoroughly debilitated by it but aren't going to die quite yet. They're strapped to the front of non-demon SWAT team members as shields against possession.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

p sure it's supposed to be prague as in the city. the 'progress' thing is the closest thing I've ever seen to a real explanation why, even though it doesn't really sound like that and wouldn't be a pun that actually made sense in context if it did. guess you gotta call your comic something

There's some line of mystical jewelry called the Prague Race collection; I believe that's as much as we know so far.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks like Anath Hirsh, Tessa Stone, and Sarah Stone are collaborating on a new webcomic.

The first chapter will be up on the Johnny Wander website before it moves to its own domain. I wonder how that will effect the regular Johnny Wander update schedule, plus Tessa's current webcomic?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 21, 2016

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Buzz! was a lot of fun so I'm optimistic about this new comic

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Isn't Tessa the person who has habitually flaked out on different webcomics?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Lord of Hats posted:

Isn't Tessa the person who has habitually flaked out on different webcomics?

You're thinking about Hanna is Not a Boy's Name, yes (and Sarah Stone is her sister). For what it's worth Not Drunk Enough has been updating regularly even though it's not very popular in this thread.

Every time I think about HINABN I feel old. It predates Homestuck becoming something super huge so it almost feels like it comes from a different era.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah Not Drunk Enough has been updating fine and as I mentioned she's done a graphic novel with Ananth in the recent past (it was good and I recommend it)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mycot posted:

You're thinking about Hanna is Not a Boy's Name, yes (and Sarah Stone is her sister). For what it's worth Not Drunk Enough has been updating regularly even though it's not very popular in this thread.

Every time I think about HINABN I feel old. It predates Homestuck becoming something super huge so it almost feels like it comes from a different era.

Tessa Stone also did Under Lock and Key before Hanna is Not a Boy's Name. I feel like there was at least one other, but I can't remember what it was called.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tessa Stone also did Under Lock & Key before Hanna is Not a Boy's Name. I feel like there was at least one other, but I can't remember what it was called.

Yeah I know but HINABN is the only one people cared about.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have recently reread Skin Deep and drat is it pretty. Gotta love all the different mythological creatures.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Skin Deep is ok but it kind of feels like a honeypot for otherkin.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's one of those extremely obvious fetish comics that's made all the more unsettling by being completely G-rated

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk if i'd go so far as to say that

i certainly don't remember anything specifically fetishy involved

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just don't like stories about secret worlds where the people in hiding carry the heavy burden of communing with angels and turning into griffons and living in mansions and maybe there's immortality too I forget? and generally it just seems like they have a really good deal going on.

e: Death to all the privileged classes, be they man or half-jackalope-half-mothman.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 26, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ofaloaf posted:

I just don't like stories about secret worlds where the people in hiding carry the heavy burden of communing with angels and turning into griffons and living in mansions and maybe there's immortality too I forget? and generally it just seems like they have a really good deal going on.

It's been years since I've read Skin Deep but I remember a lot of the supernatural creatures had pretty awful drawbacks like not being able to "turn back" or losing sapience over time. Anyway I don't remember it being fetishistic at all, but like I said I was a lot more naive back then so I might be missing something. When I think Obvious Fetish Webcomic I think of something like Spinerette or that comic about a woman with no arms.

vvv Hey, nobody says Cyclops not being able to turn off his eye beams is uncomfortable, is what I'm saying. Believe me in a sexualized thing the drawbacks would be something a lot less straightforward.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 26, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mycot posted:

It's been years since I've read Skin Deep but I remember a lot of the supernatural creatures had pretty awful drawbacks like not being able to "turn back" or losing sapience over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't part of the appeal to that audience.

Anyway, SSSS continues to have great art, ghostbusting owls.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 26, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mycot posted:

vvv Hey, nobody says Cyclops not being able to turn off his eye beams is uncomfortable, is what I'm saying. Believe me in a sexualized thing the drawbacks would be something a lot less straightforward.

Idk, slowly inflating to the size of a house until you explode seems both straightforward and extremely uncomfortable :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Pavlov posted:

Skin Deep is ok but it kind of feels like a honeypot for otherkin.

it's one of those extremely obvious fetish comics that's made all the more unsettling by being completely G-rated

do you guys have this same reaction when watching the beauty and the beast

More seriously: there are people transforming, but not in the slow agonizing way that transformation fetishists like. If you are opposed to transformations or "furries" on principle than I am afraid it is not for you.

Ofaloaf posted:

e: Death to all the privileged classes, be they man or half-jackalope-half-mothman.

Most of the characters are actually very much middle class and have very "low fantasy" sort of problems; the only exception being the so called main character, who gets one of those "last of the legendary race" sort of deals, which is probably a weak point in the whole comic IMHO.

• Locked thread