Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Now that it's the weekend and I don't have to work, it's time to take a look at the unwanted garbage birds in daylight. Do they look like Dutch bantams? There is the white ear patch and the smallish comb, otherwise they look rather nondescript. They're definitely shy, but of course they're in a new environment and I don't think our neighbor handled them.

Also, I found the other hen. She was wedged in a gap between the stoop and the fence, hidden under some bushes. Only her head was chewed raw, otherwise she was intact. So it probably wasn't a hawk, maybe a racoon or a mink. Still good to have closure, and the new ones won't get unsupervised yard time. As sad as it is, this loss didn't hit me in the gut as much as when last year our head hen wasted away to nothing in the space of 2 weeks for no clear reason. It's all in my head anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

He's an attentive roo boy.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Pretty girls!

Avshalom, is that a falcon?! I guess that's one way to cull quail...

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it's a goshawk! it waged a campaign of terror against my quails for several days while i desperately tried to foil it and finally i got up one morning and it had actually broken into the cage. because quails are highly intelligent they were pecking and scratching around right under its feet next to their decapitated friend (rip emmy lou :() but ran away from me when i tried to get them the hell out of there. obviously i let it go, they're a native species, and it hasn't come back to the quails since. i've seen it a few times out back watching the chickens but it tried to carry one of the smaller ones off and was defeated so i think it's given up

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Quails truly are nature's lemmings. At least the chickens showed it off.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

hey santa baby posted:

Now that it's the weekend and I don't have to work, it's time to take a look at the unwanted garbage birds in daylight. Do they look like Dutch bantams? There is the white ear patch and the smallish comb, otherwise they look rather nondescript. They're definitely shy, but of course they're in a new environment and I don't think our neighbor handled them.

Also, I found the other hen. She was wedged in a gap between the stoop and the fence, hidden under some bushes. Only her head was chewed raw, otherwise she was intact. So it probably wasn't a hawk, maybe a racoon or a mink. Still good to have closure, and the new ones won't get unsupervised yard time. As sad as it is, this loss didn't hit me in the gut as much as when last year our head hen wasted away to nothing in the space of 2 weeks for no clear reason. It's all in my head anyway.

Cute hens! They look like young bantam Cream Legbar hens http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Auto/BRKAutosex.html
I'm saying 'young' because if they *are* Legbars, they don't look like they've developed the classic rumply Legbar combs yet. You should get some lovely green-blue eggs from those girls. I'd say you made a nice score with your unwanted garbage birds. :)

Today is Springtime fluffybutt trimming day at our house, pissing off my poorly managed flock over here. Maybe if I get lucky the scissors will slip and there will be blood. :unsmigghh:

Avshalom, great hawk pics, not surprised at the quail's reaction, we had button quail for a while when I was a kid until my dad came to his senses and got rid of the damned psycho things.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

oh! they are so pretty! I love your garbage birds. It's great they get along with your boy

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Today is Springtime fluffybutt trimming day at our house, pissing off my poorly managed flock over here. Maybe if I get lucky the scissors will slip and there will be blood. :unsmigghh:

Avshalom, great hawk pics, not surprised at the quail's reaction, we had button quail for a while when I was a kid until my dad came to his senses and got rid of the damned psycho things.

You guys are heading to spring already?! are your fluffy butts free of the awful white snow? I'm already excited for chickam...

And hi to Chido if you are still around, you guys and your birbs are the reason we have chicken and duck poop everywhere haha

Teenage ducks who are awkwardly and constantly trying to make babies in their pool... We swapped and culled down to 2 hens and 1 drake.
New hen Bonnie was a bitey, bossy bitch (I have never heard a duck hiss before..), she's still a bit of a tart and older hen Whitney is *not* impressed that the new girl flirts with her man. And then there's Stevie drake who is a bit confused about what to do when he climbs on, and sometimes which way to climb on. No, Stevie, sitting on her head is the wrong way. It's why they get annoyed and bite you.

chuck still crows like a tiny spaz, but only in the morning when they are let out of the coop. it's adorable. He's a bit of a jerk but still very young.

Blue's fluffy butt. She loves to peck at shoes, then creep up behind you to nip at love handles.

more of the crew with bonus duck butts.
Wow I've had them for 18 weeks now!

psychotic fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 22, 2016

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Velvet Sparrow posted:

young bantam Cream Legbar hens

Huh, what do you know. They do have a bit of a crest/crown/Trump hair, which dutch bantams don't seem to have. It's not quite clear how old they are - they could be a year or two old. I guess we'll just have to see how they develop and what the eggs look like should they decide to lay.

psychotic posted:

And hi to Chido if you are still around, you guys and your birbs are the reason we have chicken and duck poop everywhere haha

Also I can't second this hard enough. Chido is responsible for getting hens in the first place, and Tim the Enchanter is responsible for the drat rooster. Thanks, Obama!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

yup Chido having chickens is what got me to believe that even I could manage it.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
These are the two roos im considering keeping
Beets (beets is staying, he rules)

Facemeat

Pipsqueak is my favorite hen. She is very small but she owns the poo poo out of every other bird and she occasionally lets me scratch her butt

Morning feeding frenzy

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Cute hens! They look like young bantam Cream Legbar hens http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Auto/BRKAutosex.html
I'm saying 'young' because if they *are* Legbars, they don't look like they've developed the classic rumply Legbar combs yet. You should get some lovely green-blue eggs from those girls. I'd say you made a nice score with your unwanted garbage birds. :)

We don't have bantam cream legbars in the States, so unless you're in Europe it's unlikely to be them. Only large fowl have been imported, as far as I know. They also look more partridge-y than barred. They look like Dutch, but the little crest throws me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bonster posted:

We don't have bantam cream legbars in the States, so unless you're in Europe it's unlikely to be them. Only large fowl have been imported, as far as I know. They also look more partridge-y than barred. They look like Dutch, but the little crest throws me.

Obviously they're the first imports (they aren't banty cream legbars, especially the one that appears to have the wrong colored legs for it).

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Shifty Nipples posted:

yup Chido having chickens is what got me to believe that even I could manage it.

Awww you guys :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Bonster posted:

They could be mixes, too...maybe Dutch/cream Legbars? The feathersite page showed a wide variety of birds within the breed tho, so who knows. Whatever they are, they're cute!

Aw, Chido, see how many people you've inspired by being such a great chicken mama? :)

psychotic, beautiful birds! I love the soft color of the ducks. We're free of snow for the moment...hopefully the heavier stuff is done with. Only one hen is semi-broody at the moment, and it's Blossom, the little Silkie/Americaunas mix we hatched last year so I don't know that she'd be the best choice for Chickam mama. My flock had to ALL provide some serious and somber Chicken Supervision today as I pruned the trees & shrubs out in their yard to get them ready for Spring--especially Linc, who nearly got her comb pruned off, damned silly bird.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

They could be mixes, too...maybe Dutch/cream Legbars? The feathersite page showed a wide variety of birds within the breed tho, so who knows. Whatever they are, they're cute!

Or they could not be. They aren't. Why on earth do you want them to be some rare breed that doesn't exist in the US so bad?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Or they could not be. They aren't. Why on earth do you want them to be some rare breed that doesn't exist in the US so bad?

And why are you picking fights here? Please stop it.

FYI, if you type "cream legbars" into Google search, several hatcheries in the U.S. show up as places selling cream legbars. You can also buy cream legbar eggs on eBay. For a few years now, I have been encouraging VS to get some cream legbar eggs for Chickam.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inveigle posted:

FYI, if you type "cream legbars" into Google search, several hatcheries in the U.S. show up as places selling cream legbars. You can also buy cream legbar eggs on eBay. For a few years now, I have been encouraging VS to get some cream legbar eggs for Chickam.

You can get cream legbars. You can't get bantam cream legbars because they haven't been imported. That dude's right. They don't exist out here yet. I know you can get standards. I had cream legbars. I wasn't aware that pointing out that she's wrong is "picking fights".

E: In addition, that one hen has the wrong color legs to be a cream legbar. They're likely just easter egger banties or some such poo poo. That's not bad or anything, but saying it's a rare not-yet-imported breed is silly.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
easter eggers rule because its a total crapshoot what they end up looking like. My favorite EE is tan with blue markings and it's the cutest poo poo. Also their goofy road runner dash owns

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Yeah, I do love the poofyheaded chickens. We will also get more Polish--I'd love to have some bantam Polish hens and there are some gorgeous colors out there--and Sultans again one of these days. As for the other, just be like the rest of us and ignore the crazy psychobabble trolling, it's never gonna change. Look at it this way, it gives people in the other forums a break. :derp:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's not trolling to correct someone on the breed of a chicken when it's clear she's wrong. I like easter eggers a lot, too. I think they're neat. They're good little dual production birds and they're generally friendly. There's not a thing wrong with them. But going "oh those are bantam cream legbars" is as silly as saying you got an akbash out of a local county pound when it's clearly not an akbash.

E: I do love the fact that you're allowed to be a dick to me but if I were to shoot back and call you out on your bullshit I'd get in trouble for it. Even though you have actively been trying to start drama again after birbmod asked the lot of us to stop since this post right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=208#post456546394

And I'm just trying to tell you that that isn't the breed you think it is and agreeing with that other dude. Because they aren't

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 23, 2016

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
"this breed hasn't been imported to the us yet" ah yes prime troll material

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
I have a million easter egger/silkie mixes that look just like those birds. It's not hard to create that coloration and that leg color and that head crest. Backyard mixes are an infinitely more likely answer than "rare breed that does not exist in the united states."

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I advocate peaceful and cheerful interactions in a thread about chickens! Let's remember that it does take two to tango.

So I've found out that roosters are absolutely not allowed in my area. Will this be a problem for a small flock? Previous posts indicate otherwise, but those posts were written quite awhile ago, so I'd like to hear the latest!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

I advocate peaceful and cheerful interactions in a thread about chickens! Let's remember that it does take two to tango.

So I've found out that roosters are absolutely not allowed in my area. Will this be a problem for a small flock? Previous posts indicate otherwise, but those posts were written quite awhile ago, so I'd like to hear the latest!

There's crow collars if you want to try that but you might still get rolled for having a roo even if he doesn't cause a nusiance. You won't be able to hatch eggs, but I mean, you'll still get them and whatnot. It sucks to not have a roo but ordinances are what they are.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

dear internet thread on chickens: thank you for teaching me that trolling includes telling someone that they are factually incorrect for the purpose of informing them and helping them learn.

related: what kinds of bantams are there currently in the US? I had some little copper and gold chickens (hens) when I was a kid and I loved them. They did not love me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

related: what kinds of bantams are there currently in the US? I had some little copper and gold chickens (hens) when I was a kid and I loved them. They did not love me.

There's TONS of banties in the us. What else do you remember about them? Feathery feet=probably a cochin or a cochin mutt of some sort. Maybe a brahma. https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bantams_chicks.html Here's a bunch to look through.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have a purple laced mangosteen chicken, that is what it is and what it is called and I shall not be swayed by protests to the contrary harumph.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

AsYouWish posted:

Backyard mixes

This is probably it. Who knows what goes on in the neighbor's pen when he ain't looking -- and he's 83, so he really isn't looking too hard anymore.

Unizee
Dec 7, 2010
I've lost two of my three OEG banties to a murderhawk (the rest of my flock are mostly ISA Browns, seemingly too large for the chicken-breathed killer to hunt.) As much as I love those wonderful little birds with their sweet dispositions I'm planning to never get more bantams. It's just too heartbreaking. The alternative is to not let the flock free-range anymore but after seeing how joyful they are when they can chase critters and eat green things to their hearts' content it seems cruel to keep them penned. I'm pretty torn right now. I suppose I'll have to make the decision on what to do but with all the snow we're getting today I can put it off until later.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Unizee posted:

I've lost two of my three OEG banties to a murderhawk (the rest of my flock are mostly ISA Browns, seemingly too large for the chicken-breathed killer to hunt.) As much as I love those wonderful little birds with their sweet dispositions I'm planning to never get more bantams. It's just too heartbreaking. The alternative is to not let the flock free-range anymore but after seeing how joyful they are when they can chase critters and eat green things to their hearts' content it seems cruel to keep them penned. I'm pretty torn right now. I suppose I'll have to make the decision on what to do but with all the snow we're getting today I can put it off until later.

How big of an area is the free range area?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Wow, engaging in some harmless fun with playing 'guess the chicken breed' is a lot more drama-ridden than I thought. If I'm wrong, who cares? It certainly ain't keeping me awake at night. :) Criminy, don't be so serious, chicken gang!

my car is norris, usually when it comes to roos and city codes not allowing them, the issue tends to fall under noise ordinances since roos love that 4:30AM crowing thing. I don't know what problem it might cause in your flock that you are referring to, but your girls can get along perfectly well without a roo.

Unizee, sorry to hear about your hawk problems, usually banties are really clever about survival, too. Do they have lots of trees and bushes to duck under while Murderhawk is around? I know we had to add landscaping in our chicken yard last year...just in time too, we've had not just Sparrowhawks but big Red Tails hanging around.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There's TONS of banties in the us. What else do you remember about them? Feathery feet=probably a cochin or a cochin mutt of some sort. Maybe a brahma. https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bantams_chicks.html Here's a bunch to look through.

The roo and hens looked a lot like these dudders: http://www.nipoultry.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=127636694

Is it possible that mutt chickens could end up looking like that?

Unizee
Dec 7, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How big of an area is the free range area?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Unizee, sorry to hear about your hawk problems, usually banties are really clever about survival, too. Do they have lots of trees and bushes to duck under while Murderhawk is around? I know we had to add landscaping in our chicken yard last year...just in time too, we've had not just Sparrowhawks but big Red Tails hanging around.

They have more than an acre in which to frolic, although my sweet Tiny Betty was killed when Murderhawk found a way into the run last December. I had no idea hawks could be so clever. But otherwise there are all kinds of wonderful places to cover and escape. If I decide to let them loose again this spring I'm going to cobblecock a chickenwire fence to keep them out of the front yard. On one hand it cracks me up to have chickens staring in my porch windows but I hate having to wash poop off the the porch every other day, plus I'm always worried the feathertards will decide to play in the middle of the road one day.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Chicken Juvenile Hall

Pullet Prison

Our girls are still in their pullet prison while the pullet penitentiary is under construction.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

The roo and hens looked a lot like these dudders: http://www.nipoultry.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=127636694

Is it possible that mutt chickens could end up looking like that?

Yep.

Unizee posted:

They have more than an acre in which to frolic, although my sweet Tiny Betty was killed when Murderhawk found a way into the run last December. I had no idea hawks could be so clever. But otherwise there are all kinds of wonderful places to cover and escape. If I decide to let them loose again this spring I'm going to cobblecock a chickenwire fence to keep them out of the front yard. On one hand it cracks me up to have chickens staring in my porch windows but I hate having to wash poop off the the porch every other day, plus I'm always worried the feathertards will decide to play in the middle of the road one day.

Feh if it was a smaller area I was going to suggest bird netting strung across the top. Some murderbirds will go through them, but they're not particularly common. Most murderbirds see something in their way and don't even try it. Over an acre, though, would be ungodly to try to net.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Beautiful ladies!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Feh if it was a smaller area I was going to suggest bird netting strung across the top. Some murderbirds will go through them, but they're not particularly common. Most murderbirds see something in their way and don't even try it. Over an acre, though, would be ungodly to try to net.

IS there any reason I couldn't top a 8x10' run with chicken wire instead of bird netting? I'm only asking because the previous owners of my house left a ton of chicken wire on the property and I'd like to press it into service.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 25, 2016

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Miso Beno posted:

IS there any reason I couldn't top a 8x10' run with chicken wire instead of bird netting? I'm only asking because the previous owners of my house left a ton of chicken wire on the property and I'd like to press it into service.

That's what I'm doing. The chicken wire sags over time, and leaves collect in it. So it's a good idea to make a tent of sorts, or make it slanted at least so stuff falls off sideways. Works well against raptor birds.

Unizee
Dec 7, 2010
My run, 15' x 20' for 12 chickens, is covered with bird netting. Or rather, it WAS covered before last night's huge snowstorm. Now it's sitting in the middle of the run with a foot and half of snow on top. Before I'll let them back out it'll have to be tacked back up to the fence but snow offends them so there's no hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Chicken wire also rusts and falls apart if you look at it wrong.