Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Certain Hollywood elites have their childrens last names changed so that they can get them in high paying roles without being accused of nepotism.

The last airbender kid? Johnny Depp's son.

Noah Ringer? More like Noah Depp.

source: family in the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Certain Hollywood elites have their childrens last names changed so that they can get them in high paying roles without being accused of nepotism.

Just like Nicolas Cage Coppola.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

computer parts posted:

Just like Nicolas Cage Coppola.

I thought Nick Cage changed his name to avoid benefiting from nepotism?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He changed it so that if he did land a good role people wouldn't automatically assume he only got the job because of his family. It's obviously worked because most people have no idea he's related to Sofia and that guy that made Rain People and Jack.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Is this made up? Google says nothing of this.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

xcore posted:

Is this made up? Google says nothing of this.

I mean Johnny Depp probably got a lot of kids

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Is "The Witch" getting a limited or nationwide release? MovieInsider and IMDB list it as limited, but I'm seeing lots of January 2016 articles saying it hits nationwide. Is there a more authoritative source for release date info?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

FreudianSlippers posted:

He changed it so that if he did land a good role people wouldn't automatically assume he only got the job because of his family. It's obviously worked because most people have no idea he's related to Sofia and that guy that made Rain People and Jack.

I sure didn't. :stare:

Just when I thought the Nic Cage story couldn't possibly get any weirder.

Edit: I should mention that in 10-some odd years it never occured to me to look up his wikipedia page for some reason.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
He's seriously a national treasure.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I sure didn't. :stare:

Just when I thought the Nic Cage story couldn't possibly get any weirder.

Edit: I should mention that in 10-some odd years it never occured to me to look up his wikipedia page for some reason.

I'm pretty sure Jason Schwartzman is also a Coppola cousin.

Edit: Nic, Sophia and Schwartzman are all first cousins.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 6, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A huge number of actors have family who are involved in making movies, and they change their names for all kinds of reasons.

It is probably no more incestuous as a profession than, like, real estate or politics, and for the same reason: parents use their connections to help kids who grow up surrounded by the profession to some degree.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

When I go on critic reviews on IMDB I am usually flooded by so nany choices. Any suggestions as to which are good/trustworthy/funny?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Michaellaneous posted:

When I go on critic reviews on IMDB I am usually flooded by so nany choices. Any suggestions as to which are good/trustworthy/funny?

I don't always agree with them, but A.O. Scott and Manohla Dargis are both great writers.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Michaellaneous posted:

As with anything, read widely (and start with the popular ones) and regularly and you'll start to realise which people you enjoy, and whose taste tends to line up with yours. I'm a fan of the Filmspotting podcast guys, Grierson & Leitch, and most of the people still blogging on RogerEbert.com.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

I usually bounce between Vern (outlawvern.com) and Tim Brayton ( Antagonie.blogspot.com )

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you like "low-brow" action movies Outlaw Vern is really great. He's significantly evolved in the last 5 years and catches themes and links that many other people miss.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Vern is the man.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vern is the only worthwhile talent to come out of Ain't It Cool News.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you like "low-brow" action movies Outlaw Vern is really great. He's significantly evolved in the last 5 years and catches themes and links that many other people miss.

Yeah, I first heard of him yesterday on this thread and went to his site.

He's drat good.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

piratepilates posted:

I mean we all came from Africa originally, aren't we all truly coloured??

I just wanted to quote this because you posted this and then Meryl Streep basically said the same thing like 3 days ago, so thank you for the laugh.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What are some films with similar themes to Shallow Grave/The Loft. I mean films about people covering up a crime, getting nervous and turning on each other, watching for the police etc. Basically films about dealing with overwhelming guilt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Not quite overwhelming guilt, but Reservoir Dogs is all about (the lack of) honor among thieves.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Very Bad Things

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

OldTennisCourt posted:

What are some films with similar themes to Shallow Grave/The Loft. I mean films about people covering up a crime, getting nervous and turning on each other, watching for the police etc. Basically films about dealing with overwhelming guilt.

Definitely A Simple Plan, and probably a few Coens would roughly fit too: Fargo, The Man Who Wasn't There and Blood Simple come to mind. I also feel like there's a whole set of classic films that follow this route - maybe The Asphalt Jungle?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

Very Bad Things

The Hangover is a very watered down version of this and always disappointing in comparison.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Here's another question now that Hangover has been mentioned: Has there been a film sequel as blatant as Hangover 2 in terms of being literally the exact same movie as the first one?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OldTennisCourt posted:

Here's another question now that Hangover has been mentioned: Has there been a film sequel as blatant as Hangover 2 in terms of being literally the exact same movie as the first one?

Ghostbusters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Most comedy sequels.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Evil Dead 2?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Men in Black II

I just watched all three of those in the last two days. I had never seen 3 before, and it's probably about as good as the first one. 2 has got to be one of the ugliest, shallowest. by-the-book lame joke attempt at a comedy I've ever seen. It makes Lost in Space look like Oscar material by comparison.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Men in Black II

I just watched all three of those in the last two days. I had never seen 3 before, and it's probably about as good as the first one. 2 has got to be one of the ugliest, shallowest. by-the-book lame joke attempt at a comedy I've ever seen. It makes Lost in Space look like Oscar material by comparison.

In fairness didn't a huge portion of the movie get cut because of 9/11? As I recall the ending involved the Twin Towers.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

22 Jump Street takes the cake.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

In fairness didn't a huge portion of the movie get cut because of 9/11? As I recall the ending involved the Twin Towers.

I have no idea. Regardless, they made a really loving bad movie. Other scenes being cut didn't make the ones they kept uglier...

I mean, it's got a few laughs, but it's like, below Corky Romano on how well it packages them.

edit: ^ I love how, despite part of the plot being that the same plot won't work again, it still manages to be the same movie. I really enjoyed it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 22, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Like computer parts said, Ghostbusters II is a rather shameless and soulless beat-for-beat remake of the original.

Even though I have a soft spot for it, Terminator 3 re-uses a ton of the same beats of T2. Both Rush Hour movies flat-out copy the original. And Jurassic Park III basically does everything the first movie did.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, I almost forgot, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is basically the same movie as Raiders of the Lost Ark, just with a bit more flash and pizzazz.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 22, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

And more Sean Connery.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I know I'm in the mega minority but Last Crusade sucks and a huge part of why is that it's just so shamelessly retreading the first film. I also really hate the opening part where we learn Indiana's origin. It's got all the same kind of dumb prequel nodding that the Star Wars prequels have and it's just as lame. Ugh gently caress that movie.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Much like Hangover 2, Home Alone 2 is essentially a setting change from the original. Also, much like Hangover 2, it's a really mean-spirited film.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FishBulb posted:

I know I'm in the mega minority but Last Crusade sucks and a huge part of why is that it's just so shamelessly retreading the first film. I also really hate the opening part where we learn Indiana's origin. It's got all the same kind of dumb prequel nodding that the Star Wars prequels have and it's just as lame. Ugh gently caress that movie.

Yeah, but Ford and Connery are so charming it hardly matters

Rocky IV is basically Rocky III with a new villain + James Brown

morestuff fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 22, 2016

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's been pointed out before that both Aliens and Terminator 2 are, to some degree, essentially remakes of the first movie done in a different style.

Also, I never saw it, but when that second RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie came out I remember a lot of reviewers going after it for being the exact same movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Rochallor posted:

It's been pointed out before that both Aliens and Terminator 2 are, to some degree, essentially remakes of the first movie done in a different style.

That's how most sequels work, take what was successful and change it up enough to make it a new movie with a new plot. We were discussing movies that are essentially beat for beat of the original, and neither of these fit into the same genre as the previous ones since the first Aliens and Terminator were horror movies and the sequels were action flicks. the T3 example posted earlier does fit this description, though T3 wasn't all that bad, just mediocre but fun.

Also Rocky IV is a stupid, fun, but very different movie than III. Beating Mr.T is not the same and defeating all of the USSR in the most ridiculous way possible.