Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Darthemed posted:

I've done that with Goblin Cock and Orange Goblin. Am I making a mistake with either of those?

Orange Goblin are great, and their name is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Darthemed posted:

I've done that with Goblin Cock and Orange Goblin. Am I making a mistake with either of those?

http://youtu.be/-eTNc-v2too
https://youtu.be/aUW_mloz_qs

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 20, 2016

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Thanks for the tracks, ID. I'll have to check out some of their albums in full, that was good stuff.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
Guys I knew in college were in a group called Pallbearer. They were nobodies at the time. My buddy worked at a bank where they had their savings account, which was very close to the $0 mark. Their album had been out for a few years, then they played a festival in Austin, got a lot of attention, and supposedly became pretty well known. I know they've played shows in Europe. I was more friends with the bass players girlfriend, and some of them ate lunch with us. But I thought the bass player Joe was an rear end in a top hat, and he had bad body odor. The album does what it does really well though. Has anybody else followed Pallbearer? Have they done anything worse (*worth) listening to since the original release?

das crikstar fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 21, 2016

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There was a big fuss about their second album, Foundations of Burden, the other year. You can listen to it here if you like: https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/foundations-of-burden

Personally I thought it was perfectly OK but nothing special apart from one really good song, and they were kinda disappointing when I saw them live (in Glasgow). Although they had equipment problems and also were supporting Yob, who have to be a pretty tough act to share a show with. I think someone in this thread described them as 2014's one extreme metal band a year that the music press decides to massively hype for no readily apparent reason, which seems about right.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Pallbearer opened for High on Fire last year. They're awesome.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

MisterPlastic posted:

Guys I knew in college were in a group called Pallbearer. They were nobodies at the time. My buddy worked at a bank where they had their savings account, which was very close to the $0 mark. Their album had been out for a few years, then they played a festival in Austin, got a lot of attention, and supposedly became pretty well known. I know they've played shows in Europe. I was more friends with the bass players girlfriend, and some of them ate lunch with us. But I thought the bass player Joe was an rear end in a top hat, and he had bad body odor. The album does what it does really well though. Has anybody else followed Pallbearer? Have they done anything worse (*worth) listening to since the original release?

No. Overrated as hell.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I swear someone else posted in this thread about how the bass players stinks.
I prefer the first album to the second. I can't really get into the second one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MisterPlastic posted:

They are probably the most buzzed about doom band in the world right now. I like them a lot.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They're garbage.

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016

Laserface posted:

They're garbage.

I gotta agree. They opened for Saint Vitus and I almost fell asleep during their set.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Pallbearer are garbage, but I am legit confused about the amount of buzz they get/got. Like I thought Sorrow and Extinction was a solid effort and worth a listen, but fairly by-the-numbers. For whatever reason it was heralded as the re-invention of doom and I've been confused ever sense.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
pallbearer has some good riffs but they ride them to death & the singer sings like he's in a boyband.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Foreigner is a good song, but it's all downhill from there. The mainstream buzz is just because they aren't weird-sounding, loud, aggressive or generally objectionable enough to put non-metalheads off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mostly they just sound like Warning, who are great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"now the government can listen to him through his tshirt" is really *kisses fingers* magnifique!

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
eh If i saw Joe tomorrow I wouldn't say a word. If he was an rear end in a top hat at 19 years old then he's probably 3x the rear end in a top hat now that he's a big rock star.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MisterPlastic posted:

eh If i saw Joe tomorrow I wouldn't say a word. If he was an rear end in a top hat at 19 years old then he's probably 3x the rear end in a top hat now that he's a big rock star.

you talking about him on an internet forum like that is kinda creepy

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MisterPlastic posted:

Actually people tend to mellow out. Would you want me to judge you by your 19 year-old self?

Also, that one Pallbearer album is amazing and has melodies that really stuck with me.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MisterPlastic posted:

This doesn't come off as petty or jealous at all

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Blast Fantasto posted:

This doesn't come off as petty or jealous at all

haha seriously god drat dude get over it

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

MisterPlastic posted:

Yes, they're touring the world and making incredible music. Everything they've done is amazing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Did we ever talk about Egypt's album Endless Flight? It's pretty darn good.

https://egypt1.bandcamp.com/album/endless-flight

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

fyodor posted:

Did we ever talk about Egypt's album Endless Flight? It's pretty darn good.

https://egypt1.bandcamp.com/album/endless-flight
poo poo I had no idea this was out, I love this band, thanks

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016
Egypt's new album picks up exactly where Become The Sun left off, and goes a little farther.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Given how much fondness stoner/doom has for comics as inspiration, I'm shocked that Cosmic Bong isn't a band yet (at least, not that I could find).

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Space Bong is pretty close. And while their name is dumb, they're pretty drat good I think.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The Mondo Drag album is streaming: http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/02/22/exclusive-premiere-mondo-drag-the-occultation-of-light/

Check them out if you think prog psych rock with a doomy/stoner flavor sounds cool. Their previous ST album is awesome.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Detective Thompson posted:

Space Bong is pretty close. And while their name is dumb, they're pretty drat good I think.

Their new album especially is really, really good

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Crowbar just announced a tour for the 20th anniversary of Broken Glass, which is the broiest album I love.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've seen Wrekmeister Harmonies mentioned here a few times but is Bell Witch any good live? The show they're both doing at St. Vitus was on Jukely so I grabbed a spot for the hell of it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I've seen Wrekmeister Harmonies mentioned here a few times but is Bell Witch any good live? The show they're both doing at St. Vitus was on Jukely so I grabbed a spot for the hell of it

I loved them the last time they were at Saint Vitus so I'll be there tonight. It's going to be hard to leave the apartment though, cold rain on a tuesday night.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Bell Witch own. The bassist has a really unique (for doom) two handed tapping style where he's playing the root and the melody at the same time.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
My friends' band is going to be opening for them at the Allston show next Friday. Can't wait to check out Bell Witch.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
In other news: We're hitting Oslo tomorrow and if that one norwegoon wants to come say hi at the show I'm the sideburny guitarist!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

In other news: We're hitting Oslo tomorrow and if that one norwegoon wants to come say hi at the show I'm the sideburny guitarist!

I'll be there, blonde longhair in a biker jacket. Looking forward to the show!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ElectricWizard posted:

You'll be standing next to the overweight bearded guy with long hair and a black band shirt, right?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ElectricWizard posted:

I have a feeling you just described 30-40% of the audience.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ElectricWizard posted:

Didn't I see you at the last 10 shows I've been to in Tennessee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

I have a feeling you just described 30-40% of the audience.

When I caught Judas Priest last year a friend of mine asked another of his friends who was there if he'd seen a bald guy with a beard in a vest (me) there.

Yep.