Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Most of the problems GP had/has is due to low lifes moving here from across the country following their cousins hoping to get rich, and then realising that to get rich you have to work really really hard and not spend your money, so they quit after 6 months and sell drugs. The absolute worst are the dirtbags from Kelowna, and this is from someone who grew up in Surrey.

Edit: A huge portion of those are now hitchhiking back to where they left, because there is no demand for unskilled drilling rig labourers and frac site sand sweepers.

Now ill admit I moved here too, but I did so for the love of winter, affordable property close to the city center, and the outdoor recreation. The additional money was nice, but I had a solid career in Vancouver already.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I kid because I love. I used to visit GP all the time and while it was boring I never disliked it quite as much as, say, Chestermere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a 1979 MGB mark IV at ritchie bros in 2 weeks. there are no pictures up yet, but it says "custom front end, dual carbs, out of province MB"

Even the decent MGBs only go for $2000-$2500 there. this thing could be a steal for a little roadster to scoot about in.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

They may be confusing the american spec bumpers with "custom front end" since on the showroom floor it resembled a bodykit a 17 year old buys for his hella sick nissan stanza.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was imagining it the other way, somebody put a custom front end on it to be rid of the horrid american bumpers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That'd be really hard to make it look OEM, you can't just bolt on a new front grille and bumper and expect to keep the massive panel gaps you had with the old bumper.

I would like to see a BL car from the late 70s go through an OOP though. Somebody should buy it just for that.

e: I've had this for over a year and this is the closest to an excuse I have to post it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 13, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's the most british car thing I've ever seen.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You want to know the most insane thing about that GIF? The old dude with the hammer is Lord Stokes, the CEO of British Leyland Motor Cars at the time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

You want to know the most insane thing about that GIF? The old dude with the hammer is Lord Stokes, the CEO of British Leyland Motor Cars at the time.

He probably had to do it because everybody else was on strike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I was asked earlier about the gcsurplus auction process. Turns out it's really quite simple.

Basically all you need to do is register for an account and then you can bid. It doesn't ask for any CC info or anything ahead of time and seems to only require it when the auction closes if you are the the winner.

There are obviously minimums as per the listing (many of which seem hilariously high) and once you bid you cannot retract. HOWEVER, you can revise your bid at any time before close, either up or down. Up to whatever and down to the minimum. So if you get bidders remorse, you can revise your bid to the minimum and hope someone bids minimum +1.

When in auction you are not given any feedback of what the current high bidder is, you won't find that out until the end of the auction. Basically bid the maximum you are willing to pay and if your max is higher than anyone elses max, you win and pay that bid.

The viewing process was simple, I just called the contact number on the listing and the guy said I could drop by whenever. Of course, YMMV on that especially if they are secure facilities. In my case however the site contact was a local agricultural research station and the guy was very accommodating to drop by whenever.

I didn't win so I can't comment on the paying/delivery process, but it appears you need to remit payment with 3 days and arrange (if not take) delivery within 5 days of close.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 13, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup ive been watching that site now for a bit, I need some spare Michelin XML 395/85r20's

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
We did the front brakes on my buddy's '02 1500HD. His wife was driving it around with a stuck caliper for god knows how long. It's got the 2500 brakes on it, so the rotors are supposed to be super thick:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Plenty of meat left there, what's the problem? :colbert:

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
I got a twofer this weekend. My buddy dropped his phone in a snowbank while plowing two months ago and found it today:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Showing that picture to the roads crews around here might actually get them to cut down on salt.

Chewed up 90s cars are poor people but salt eaten smartphones are an unimaginable tragedy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

So I was asked earlier about the gcsurplus auction process. Turns out it's really quite simple.

Thank you!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No problem. Just noticed gas went up $0.07 overnight. It's only going to go up from here due to refinery maintenance summer demand and other bullshit. I think we saw the bottom for gasoline at least.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So trees are budding like crazy and gophers are now springing out everywhere... only to get flattened. If we get another -20 streak it's going to be trouble.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
The same thing happened last year, and we never got another cold week. I had a green lawn from March 1st onward.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Birds were trying to start nests by my place. I mean it's not crazy getting a Chinook in late Febuary, but literally the last time I can remember it being really cold was when I bought the RX7 which was over a month ago.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It was -18C without the windchill at Little Horse Creek south of McMurray this morning - you and your birds nesting can gently caress off.

Also, what the gently caress is Wood Buffalo putting on the road?

My truck is not supposed to be white!

Pretty sure I broke a few rig pigs brains when they found out I purposely bought a 2wd truck and was able to bomb down they same roads they were. There was the smell of burnt toast a couple times.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh hey that's the old school calcium carbonate road salt that Calgary used to use before it became too expensive and they resorted to regular road salt that eats metal.

Wasted on your aluminum pretty boy truck, pretty boy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's actually kind of a nice two tone effect you've got going on there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

That's actually kind of a nice two tone effect you've got going on there.

Thread title, please

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So Switch and I picked up a thing for his Civic today.

Uh oh

UH OH

Switch asked me to store this for him, and also check the spark plugs to see if we had bought a dud and put oil in the chambers.

I couldn't find any of my loving 3/8th extensions, so I had to pull out the only for-real snap-on tool I own. Got it for like 5 bucks at a cash converters, I was thinking of forging it down into something but I might just keep it around...

I need a bigger garage.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4. Looks a little cooked...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't ever get rid of that extension because that's the secret to wrenching from the couch.

Is the #4 speckled? It's hard to tell. Wouldn't surprise me if there was detonation with how terrible that manifold was.

Looks good otherwise.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't ever get rid of that extension because that's the secret to wrenching from the couch.

Is the #4 speckled? It's hard to tell. Wouldn't surprise me if there was detonation with how terrible that manifold was.

Looks good otherwise.

Highest res that I have:

Just looks a little caked in carbon to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that's probably just because of the terrible angle leaving the #4 port into the turbo I bet.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Hahaha Jesus dat turbo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo that is a find.

Leak down test next?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nah, next up is a place to work on it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

drat. Shoulda got you a bigger wing for AI:SS, huh?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
250whp says PO but I have no idea how they figured that with the meth-dentist exhaust manifold choking off the Garrett M24 of unknown trim.

Send brakes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was looking at that and thinking that you could use it without having to put down your beer

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
Man, you would pay _way_ more than $5 for that extension if you ever had to pull an s2000 transmission.

I bought one like it after having to repeatedly stack all my 1/2" extensions, a 1/2" to 3/8", and then all my 3/8" extensions just to reach that one drat bellhousing bolt...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I have a problem and I am soliciting creative ideas for a solution.

Problem: Move a 15' long RV awning for my brother from the Crowsnest pass area to the deep interior of BC. Distance of about 1000KMs. I think it's something like 8-10" square by 15' long, around 150lbs or so something like that. Not exactly clear on the dimensions but I don't think I'm grotesquely off. The original plan was to have my brother come down with his 5th wheel to pick it up and just install it on site. That can't happen due to some tragic circumstances so I am taking it upon myself to get it to him.

Compounding issues: Present owner of RV awning is an old timer and does not want to do any packing or assist with shipping in any way, nor should he as that wasn't the deal. It's too big for a courier and a trucking company would be prohibitive, almost certainly destroy it let alone not going to happen in the first place because of inability to properly prep it for shipping. It is also in the middle of nowhere and arranging for any kind of truck or anything like that would be insane.

I have at my disposal a Tacoma with a 6' bed. Also has a trailer hitch.

Potential solution #1 - Buy or cobble together some brackets and hang them over the side of the outside bed and lay the awning lengthwise down the side of the truck.
Issues: Not sure how to attach at least 1 bracket at the front without modifying the truck (company vehicle) at all or appreciably damaging the paint. But, I think I could hang a couple off the side of the bed without significant difficulty.. just the front bracket I'm a little unclear of. Ideas? Are there ready-made solutions? Adapt something with the side mirror? I don't think it could take the weight though could it?

Potential Solution#2 - Mrs. Slidebites idea: Rent a big enough cube van, throw the awning in and also my motorcycle. Drive it up deadhead, take it all out and ride the bike back to Southern Alberta.
Issues: Needs to be done by May long weekend. Weather *should* be OK, but going through the Kooteneys in May is certainly not past the risk of a late winter storm and could easily gently caress me over for a few days on a bike. Also probably a pretty costly solution... probably $1K? Just a guess. Also, lovely uhaul will probably leave me stranded somewhere.

Potential solution #3 - Rent a 16' enclosed trailer.
Issues: I don't have trailer brakes on the Tacoma. lovely uhaul. No idea on cost but I suspect it would be more than $400 for 3-4 days. It's a big trailer for almost nothing.

Potential solution #4 - Rent a smaller, 10-12' single axle enclosed trailer and somehow strap it to the roof of the trailer so the awning is sticking out over the bed of my truck.
Issues: Do rental trailers even have a way to fasten anything to the roof? lovely uhaul.

I'm leaning towards doing something towards solution #1, but I'm not sure how to deal with the bracket/support on the front half of the truck. I've seen work trucks with racks like that but they are usually bolted to the bumper. That's not an option for me.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 27, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cube van is a solid idea, but there's better choices than U-Haul.

Penske maintains their poo poo to a much higher standard.

Preferred solution, buy a $500 car from Lethbridge that you can trade for the 88 Caprice wagon in Vulcan that's on Calgary Kijiji right now, strap the awning to the roof, and sell the car to us for what you have in it when you return home for us to run on the rally to BC.

Lethbridge has a lot of interesting untapped cars. This guy clearly has a style. Do I smell Corvair?

The 'Price: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1988-caprice-wagon/1141019520?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Same dude who sold Slung Blade the Coronet had a $700 Corvair among others: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-parts/calgary/1961-corvair-2-door-coupe-rare-rare/416673077?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It needed OOP but I bet you could've Newly Acquired Auto'd the bitch to Vulcan on an old plate. He's got other poo poo too.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 27, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I vote for number 2. Weather would be a bit of a gamble in may but that would be a helluva trip, definitely worth it.

Of course you bring the prospect of a $700 Corvair after I buy the RX7.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Interesting idea, but buying, registering, insuring a $1K car with questionable reliability for literally 3 days tops of use seems sort of like something I would rather not do.
No Penske down here and even if there was I can't imagine them letting me deadhead it to the middle of butfuck nowhere in the Caribou area of BC. I agree though, I did rent a Penske many years ago and it was awesome compared to a lovely U-Haul.

E:

1500quidporsche posted:

I vote for number 2. Weather would be a bit of a gamble in may but that would be a helluva trip, definitely worth it.
I actually like the idea of option #2, but I don't think I can do it for less than $1K + fuel according to my quick and dirty searches. Ideas on how to pull that off without costing a fortune?

I think we need to keep expenses under $500. I really like hanging off the side of the Taco but just haven't quite worked it out in my head how to pull it off.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd give a few places a call on the cube van just to at least get a quote, couldn't hurt.

If $500 is the budget putting brackets on the Taco is probably your best bet. You're going to hate me but I also support the purchasing, registering and driving concept. Trucks go for crazy money but you can get vans for pennies on the dollar.