Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

We have the power to travel through time! So let's spend half the season going to europe in the 70s and... the USSR in the 80s.

Yeah, that's totally what we wanted. Here's hoping next week isn't a total cock-up.

Don't know what you are talking about. The settings have been fine. They are colorful and give the show a really light-hearted comic-book feel, which successfully sets it apart from Flash and Arrow. The plot has some issues but that's fine because, well, comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCDslo5Aqyh/

Now let's see the salmon ladder, buddy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There's zero weight behind that kick. That's a bad stunt kick. THat's more like a half-assed version of one of Michael Jackson's Moonwalk kicks than anything else.

That whole sequence is kinda lame, tbh. :mad:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It looks like what would happen if Shawn T made a workout video with a bow and arrow emphasis.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Drifter posted:

There's zero weight behind that kick. That's a bad stunt kick. THat's more like a half-assed version of one of Michael Jackson's Moonwalk kicks than anything else.

That whole sequence is kinda lame, tbh. :mad:

It looks like blocking, where you wouldn't go full force.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's so bad it makes the fight sequences in The Arrow look good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

It looks like blocking, where you wouldn't go full force.

Ah yes, the onruken chicken leg, that dastardly and devious low block that requires you to flail your leg forward gently as though pushing a refrigerator door closed.

Truly, a master's technique.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

ahhhhh why is he dry firing that bow

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

arrows are CGI

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

CainsDescendant posted:

Because they don't want to Really murder any of the crew. You know deadly projectiles and all.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

adhuin posted:

Because they don't want to Really murder any of the crew. You know deadly projectiles and all.

There are thousands trying to make it in Hollywood every day! Think about how much better this show could be if they were actually shooting people with arrows!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really bad for the bow.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rocksicles posted:

It's really bad for the bow.

The bow, a prop that would probably never actually be used to fire arrows :confused:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's still a really expensive prop, those bows are worth like $1500.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
A small price to pay for not accidentally shooting someone with an arrow, come on goons

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yes, in real life it's bad to dry fire a bow. But it's also bad to parkour around a city and shoot arrows at people in real life. Good thing this is a tv show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is dry fire.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yes, in real life it's bad to dry fire a bow. But it's also bad to parkour around a city and shoot arrows at people in real life. Good thing this is a tv show.

Maybe for you, and for most of the time, but this Friday I'll parkour around and shoot arrows at people.

Archers V. Zombies, should be a lot of fun.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 22, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

arrows are CGI

Yeah, a while ago they put out a behind the scenes thing for Arrow talking about how they never actually combine a real bow and arrow while filming. The scenes where an arrow is fired is always CG and for scenes where they have an arrow drawn but are talking they have a prop that is an arrow attached to the bow.

Of course back in the day they didn't have these big city "special effects" so they actually were shooting at people with arrows and guns. They just relied on experts to hopefully not actually hit the actors.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

muscles like this? posted:

Of course back in the day they didn't have these big city "special effects" so they actually were shooting at people with arrows and guns. They just relied on experts to hopefully not actually hit the actors.

Kurosawa had his actors wear a piece of wood beneath their clothes and use real bows and arrows.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CeeJee posted:

Kurosawa had his actors wear a piece of wood beneath their clothes and use real bows and arrows.

Won't stop an arrow if it goes into your face though

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

perhaps it is a prop bow designed to be dry fired and not shatter into a million pieces?

perhaps since it is not a real bow, dry firing won't harm it.

perhaps they didn't buy that bow at bass pro and it isn't subject to the same laws of bow usage as you may be thinking.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, a while ago they put out a behind the scenes thing for Arrow talking about how they never actually combine a real bow and arrow while filming. The scenes where an arrow is fired is always CG and for scenes where they have an arrow drawn but are talking they have a prop that is an arrow attached to the bow.

What about the boxing glove arrow scene? I remember them doing a thing about that one where they originally planned for Ollie to hit it off a table but then swapped to the "lemme stab the glove with an arrow and fire it from there."

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
This is a pretty fun/entertaining show and the character interactions are great. The only major nitpick I have is how they never even attempt to properly kill Vandal Savage when he's at their mercy, like in the latest episode. At this point, I'd almost prefer if they'd pull a Danger 5 and have Savage jumping out of windows every single episode to escape.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Big L posted:

This is a pretty fun/entertaining show and the character interactions are great. The only major nitpick I have is how they never even attempt to properly kill Vandal Savage when he's at their mercy, like in the latest episode. At this point, I'd almost prefer if they'd pull a Danger 5 and have Savage jumping out of windows every single episode to escape.

That at least would at least make sense and would totally fit into the goofy tone they've got going when they're not doing terrible drama.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, pulling his carcass from the rubble and, using their time-traveling spaceship, dropping him off near the sun or the heat death of the universe or even an active volcano is asking too much

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Four Score posted:

Yeah, pulling his carcass from the rubble and, using their time-traveling spaceship, dropping him off near the sun or the heat death of the universe or even an active volcano is asking too much

You realize he survived a direct meteorite impact back in Ancient Egypt, right? It's clear destroying his body doesn't destroy him. The show was very explicit about Kendra being the only person capable of killing him permanently.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

enraged_camel posted:

You realize he survived a direct meteorite impact back in Ancient Egypt, right? It's clear destroying his body doesn't destroy him. The show was very explicit about Kendra being the only person capable of killing him permanently.

He can 'not die' as much as he wants, living in the middle of the sun.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
He would just reincarnate back on earth.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

I feel like the dynamics of his immortality literally changes from episode to episode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should really cold open an episode with him waking up in a sarcophagus, walking out and picking up a newspaper to see what year it is. Would solve so many problems.

Personally I'm sticking to my theory that Rip doesn't want to stop him until a specific moment in the future where he's laid a trap in a way that will minimally effect the time stream, and is visiting Savage every decade to plant false information to lead him to this trap. His real name, his family's names, their appearance, when and where they were killed, all a lie. But I don't know if the show is that clever.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Wasn't it implied that Malcolm had something to do with bringing him back when they turned him into dust? I assumed someone from the outside would have to help him to revive, but eh, who knows at this point. He still seems like a total pushover, I don't get him as a big threatening villain, even in the comics.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

So grab his body, drag it on the Waverider to a nice cell, and work out exactly how much blasting from Firestorm will leave him alive but too injured to fight back so Kendra can safely dispose of him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Servetus posted:

So grab his body, drag it on the Waverider to a nice cell, and work out exactly how much blasting from Firestorm will leave him alive but too injured to fight back so Kendra can safely dispose of him.

Or failing that, just walk up to him and hold him down. He's still just some dude with knives.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Hack off arms, legs, and vocal cords, put him in no-lunch Gitmo.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Alternatively, make Caitlin fall in love with him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Kegslayer posted:

Actually, this would solve a lot of issues. Rip killed him, but there's no point in keeping the body around, because it's just a corpse. Savage is just going to wake up in a field somewhere in a couple days, since he didn't die from a magic knife stabbing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krad posted:

Wasn't it implied that Malcolm had something to do with bringing him back when they turned him into dust? I assumed someone from the outside would have to help him to revive, but eh, who knows at this point. He still seems like a total pushover, I don't get him as a big threatening villain, even in the comics.

That was after he got fried by the same magic that made him immortal.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Drifter posted:

Ah yes, the onruken chicken leg, that dastardly and devious low block that requires you to flail your leg forward gently as though pushing a refrigerator door closed.

Truly, a master's technique.

Not like a martial art block acting blocking where you do dry runs of the movements you make during a scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big L posted:

That would make the show infinitely better.

"And for the love of god, drat well kill Hitler Savage" - Colonel Chestbridge Rip Hunter

• Locked thread