Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In good show news, Colony continues to be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Have they shown an alien yet?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Have they shown an alien yet?

No and it's much better for it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I love it when you don't realise shows that you watch have returned and you get a bunch of episodes to marathon through. Just realised VICE and Impractical Jokers returned a few weeks ago, and shockingly, Season 2 of Catastophe aired 3 month ago. Woohoo!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

IRQ posted:

In good show news, Colony continues to be really good.

I hadn't heard of it, but it basically sounds and looks like XCOM 2: The TV Show, is that at all accurate?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hakkesshu posted:

I hadn't heard of it, but it basically sounds and looks like XCOM 2: The TV Show, is that at all accurate?

Yes in it's premise but the actual aliens are never seen. The main focus is on the insurgency vs the collaborators rather than going on missions with the resistance and it's basically human tech resistance cells not alien tech in an oil tanker or whatever, but it will scratch that basic itch, yes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Colony is good, as I said before it scratches the itch that I've had for a V remake that didn't suck (which I've had since the early 2000s). It's a different take, but it has all the hallmarks of nazi allegories and mysteries going on. It could still tank if they do a big reveal that sucks, but right now I want more episodes so I can binge them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It has managed to handle the tension between the wife being an insurgent and the husband being an (unwilling) collaborator but not *really* knowing about the wife's activities shockingly well for a plot that probably would be terrible garbage on most shows by now.

I didn't get Mr Robot like some here did, but Colony is a USA show that I can feel that way about. For now. It could go all V on us, who knows.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can imagine Elisabeth Mitchell playing the wife and then me not hating her so much.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Colony: who would have thought taking the two worst parts of otherwise hugely successful shows and giving them their own show would have worked so well?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Colony is really good and I hope it never deals directly with the aliens or whoever the invading for is. It's much better being not about that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The real monsters are humans right

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

X-O posted:

Colony is really good and I hope it never deals directly with the aliens or whoever the invading for is. It's much better being not about that.

I mean they sort of have to at some point right? Can't just be Sawyer against terrorists?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The thing I'm really liking about Colony so far is how quickly the show moves. It would have been pretty easy to drag out the initial reveal for 3-4 episodes, then have the husband chase after a single lead for half a season, and only then do what the show just did/is about to do wrt changing the status quo.

Hopefully they don't run out of ideas too quickly or start pumping the brakes too hard, but so far the quicker pace gives the show some genuine tension.

Also I appreciate that both the evil overlord stooges and the resistance are portrayed as awful but logical, with fairly believable motivations. Although they totally should've stolen the idea from XCom2 and had the aliens cure all known diseases.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The real monsters are humans right

Both sides are pretty terrible.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Colony is extremely good, and it weirdly feels like a sci-fi version of The Americans to me. I'm really impressed with how both sides are portrayed; there aren't any characters that are purely good or evil, and everyone has a reasonable motivation for what side of the conflict they're on. I'm actually looking forward to the inevitable introduction of the aliens; the show is well-written enough that I feel like there's a lot of different ways they could be included without ruining the gray-morality dynamics of the show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Some interesting news dropped on Friday: The FCC ruled that you're allowed to get your cable subscription from companies besides your cable box.

It's apparently the first step in a long process, but the desired endgame here is for cable subscribers to get their feeds streamed to their Apple TV / Fire TV / Android TV / Roku boxes or other third-party devices.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

DivisionPost posted:

Some interesting news dropped on Friday: The FCC ruled that you're allowed to get your cable subscription from companies besides your cable box.

It's apparently the first step in a long process, but the desired endgame here is for cable subscribers to get their feeds streamed to their Apple TV / Fire TV / Android TV / Roku boxes or other third-party devices.

But I bought my Fire TV when I dropped cable. It seems like I would be going backwards. Maybe if they let me subscribe to Fox Sports Midwest separately so I can watch all the Royals games I would do this.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

HorseRenoir posted:

Colony is extremely good, and it weirdly feels like a sci-fi version of The Americans to me. I'm really impressed with how both sides are portrayed; there aren't any characters that are purely good or evil, and everyone has a reasonable motivation for what side of the conflict they're on. I'm actually looking forward to the inevitable introduction of the aliens; the show is well-written enough that I feel like there's a lot of different ways they could be included without ruining the gray-morality dynamics of the show.
Yeah I have the same feelings about it, especially the setup and the themes presented and the situations everyone is in. The only one character I'm not sure about is Broussard because all he's done to date is look menacing and then proceeds to murder people like a force of nature without much behind him, sadly. Hopefully they do more with him.

Also I mean introducing the aliens I really doubt will change much because the collaborators are technically right, in that what could you conceivably do to a bunch of alien invaders who literally started a war with your entire planet and finished in time for dinner? Not to say the resistance people are right or wrong either but there's a really blind level of optimism at play behind everything they think they can achieve. Maybe that's kind of the point.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

Completely agree with this. I am also impressed with how fast the story is moving; it helps some of the plot points hit better as a result such as Snyder jumping the gun on announcing the capture of Geronimo and having to put on a show trial to save face; extremely well done.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

Was this ever actually an issue? CableCards have been around for years, it's what I'm using (with an HDHomerun) to stream cable to my Android TV right now. I didn't know the FCC needed to grant permission to do otherwise. I didn't know the FCC had poo poo to do with what happens with cable stations at all.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

raditts posted:

Was this ever actually an issue? CableCards have been around for years, it's what I'm using (with an HDHomerun) to stream cable to my Android TV right now. I didn't know the FCC needed to grant permission to do otherwise. I didn't know the FCC had poo poo to do with what happens with cable stations at all.

You're reading this wrong. This is stating that the cable companies will be required to offer full feature parity following standards so that any box can work with any provider for the full programming offerings (including on-demand). https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-337795A1.txt

They're not saying you need permission, they're saying cable companies need to make it easier for consumers to do the same type of thing you're doing.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So basically they want to be able to sell a roku to me that will do everything a roku does plus everything my comcast box does but now I don't have to rent the box from comcast for a monthly fee, right?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Fateo McMurray posted:

So basically they want to be able to sell a roku to me that will do everything a roku does plus everything my comcast box does but now I don't have to rent the box from comcast for a monthly fee, right?

Pretty much. I think comcast is charging me 10 a month for the box and another 5 for 'hd technology fee'. I'm guessing the cable company's response will be to make the hd technology fee 15 dollars and stop charging rent for boxes. Probably increase the modem rental fee again as well.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I just want a box with like 10 tuners and a ton of DVR space

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Fateo McMurray posted:

I just want a box with like 10 tuners and a ton of DVR space

Well, this was shown off at CES this year with the top model having six tuners and a 1 TB hard drive for recordings.

Granted, it's for over-the-air viewing but this is where set-top-boxes are going if the FCC has its way. No need for a CableCard, just get a future box like this that follows the cable standard spec and plug in your coax.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yes, but more importantly it means that we won't be stuck using whatever crapass units the cable company carries, which were all criminally underpowered with horrible slow software from 10 years ago because what were you going to do? There was no competition so there was no reason to make a cable box that didn't suck.

Of course now you're going to have to buy a box for however many hundo that'll be. I'm sure Microsoft are cumming buckets at this news though, since they wanted the Bone to do this all along.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Nintendo has been trying to do this too with their Tvii

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thwomp posted:

Well, this was shown off at CES this year with the top model having six tuners and a 1 TB hard drive for recordings.

My cable company, Bright House, has a 6 tuner 1 TB box, and I have it, and it's wonderful. I set all of my shows to record 5 minutes after to get most overages, and having no conflicts is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm late to the party but, whoa the Expanse.

I can't think of another show that was as hard scifi as this, I'm mad for it.

People who watched the show without reading the books: were you confused at all? I read the books and it seemed to me that people brand new to the story might be at sea.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

zoux posted:

People who watched the show without reading the books: were you confused at all? I read the books and it seemed to me that people brand new to the story might be at sea.

Never read the books and it seemed perfectly fine at story telling.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

IRQ posted:

Yes, but more importantly it means that we won't be stuck using whatever crapass units the cable company carries, which were all criminally underpowered with horrible slow software from 10 years ago because what were you going to do? There was no competition so there was no reason to make a cable box that didn't suck.

Some cable companies--including mine--also make you pay a ridiculous monthly fee for any additional boxes instead of allowing you to buy said lovely cable boxes outright, meaning you probably pay more in a few months than what the box is actually worth. Now imagine this in a house or an apartment with several TVs where cable is digital-only (which requires a box for every TV).

Cable boxes are one of the most blatant cash grabs in the industry and thank god they're finally putting a stop to this. Not that the cable companies won't find some way to make up for it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I have Dish Network with a "whole home DVR" but if I want to use it on a different TV I need to rent a "Joey" which is like $10/mo.

loving bullshit.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I didn't read the books and it took 4-5 episodes for me to really get my bearings in the Expanse universe. I had the same issue with Game of Thrones too which make sense since both series drop you in the deep end without any handholding.

Not that it's a bad thing. It does make Season 1 (of both shows) feel shorter on first viewing as you just start getting into everything when the season ends. Subsequent viewings should go much smoother.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

It's the kind of show that you will actually get something out of on a second viewing since there are so many deliberate details often packed very closely together. I started reading the first book at around the middle of the season and it's seriously impressive how faithfully they managed to stuff a lot of that world building in there without calling too much attention to it

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

hcreight posted:

Not that the cable companies won't find some way to make up for it.

Speaking as someone who's had a TiVo since 2000 this is, unfortunately, the truth of it.

Without the FCC breathing down their necks (which I seriously) doubt there will be at best lip service to compliance with the new requirements. Cable box rentals are such a cash cow that all the majors will be more than willing to spend megabucks defending their foot dragging, such that it would require a consortium of everyone who wants to make something that complies to the standard to band together, and even then I don't see them being able to go pound for pound with Comcast's attorneys.

Your Roku cable box won't be available in all areas, will be subject to weird technical glitches that never get fixed, and will immediately not able to take advantage of the five new service offerings that Just Happen to coincide with the rollout of the new requirements. Sorry to rain on parades.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kaynorr posted:

Speaking as someone who's had a TiVo since 2000 this is, unfortunately, the truth of it.

Without the FCC breathing down their necks (which I seriously) doubt there will be at best lip service to compliance with the new requirements. Cable box rentals are such a cash cow that all the majors will be more than willing to spend megabucks defending their foot dragging, such that it would require a consortium of everyone who wants to make something that complies to the standard to band together, and even then I don't see them being able to go pound for pound with Comcast's attorneys.

Your Roku cable box won't be available in all areas, will be subject to weird technical glitches that never get fixed, and will immediately not able to take advantage of the five new service offerings that Just Happen to coincide with the rollout of the new requirements. Sorry to rain on parades.

No, cable cards already exist, they just have to rent them to you now so you can use your own box. Lighten up on the tinfoil sparky.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

No, cable cards already exist, they just have to rent them to you now so you can use your own box. Lighten up on the tinfoil sparky.

At least with things like the HDHomerun you just need one card for three tuners (maybe more if you daisy chain another unit, not sure how far you can get with one card)
SiliconDust also has DVR software that you can ostensibly use either on a PC or by hooking up a WD MyCloud to your router, so your DVR storage is limited only by how big a hard drive you can afford.
I bought the software but I haven't sorted out how it works yet. It's supposed to work with Kodi as well but Kodi is dogshit for live TV viewing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is there a thread for Scandal? I'm binge watching it for the first time and President Grant might be the slimiest, most uncomfortable character in recent history, but weirdly it seems like the show wants us to route for him and Olivia to get together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there a thread for Scandal? I'm binge watching it for the first time and President Grant might be the slimiest, most uncomfortable character in recent history, but weirdly it seems like the show wants us to route for him and Olivia to get together.

How far in are you?

• Locked thread