Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I think I'm going to have to stop reading this stuff for a while. I just ended up balling my eyes out in the toilet. It's so hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I would have had a more emotional response but it's exactly what I expected to happen so I'd already had the emotion.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I can't believe they pulled a bait and switch like a 1940s cartoon villain

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's so loving terrible.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-21/asylum-seekers-leave-nauru-for-life-in-canada/7187416

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The lucky country more like the baby killer country.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Above-the-Line changes seem poorly explained and clunky, and the BtL ones don't go far enough.

No GVTs is fantastic, logos are a reasonable idea, and the anti Lion Hat stuff is sensible.

What gets me is that whenever Lion Hat is on TV complaining, they program doesn't explain that he got in because of the NSW vote, which by chance had him be the furthest to the left column on the ballot - leading to people seeing it first and thinking it was the LNP. All other states had his party at the approximately same lower vote when not leftmost. My dear old grandma fell for this.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Just loving drop nerve gas on Canberra. I'm sure my sister will understand that she's unfortunate collateral to a better future.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

xPanda posted:

What gets me is that whenever Lion Hat is on TV complaining, they program doesn't explain that he got in because of the NSW vote, which by chance had him be the furthest to the left column on the ballot - leading to people seeing it first and thinking it was the LNP. All other states had his party at the approximately same lower vote when not leftmost. My dear old grandma fell for this.

This is why they should have randomised ballot papers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

Ahem Robson Rotation :tasmania: cryingtasmaniantiger.gif

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I like the idea of party logos on ballot papers a lot.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Laserface posted:

No you see I don't have a car and cannot understand why someone should want one or even enjoy using one so therefore ban all cars. I also think education is fantastic but not when it's training you how to operate a car better than our current lovely standard of education because cars are evil. I also totally ignore the parallels between speed governing every single car and the Sydney lockout laws. And what do you mean you heard me yesterday lamenting the erosion of our freedom and privacy in the name of safety what how is that even related.

I ride a bicycle and what makes me mad is my helmet messing up my fringe on my way to work in the morning.

After the 50s we designed our cities solely around cars, even going so far as to rip out trams because they got in the cars way, arguing that driver training needs to be stringent is pure fantasy in a society which believes driving is a right and probably can't get to the shops or work without a car.

As much as car enthusiasts might hate it, driving is not pleasurable or fun for 99% of people it's a lovely boring grind they have to do every day in order to survive.

Not speed limiting cars because you might like to go to the track once a decade because "freedom" is stupid. It's a public safety issue similar to how we mandate cars need to be safe in case a crash happens. All that extra weight is probably loving you up at the track too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

I like the idea of party logos on ballot papers a lot.

Reading is hard. Typical Queenslander.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

MaliciousOnion posted:

They do! And that randomisation lead to him being the leftmost in NSW, which lead to what I said. It's shown to not work in all cases, which is probably why they're doing that logo thing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Maybe they should just ban any car over a certain power to weight ratio. They're tools, not toys and the roads would be a lot safer if everyone was getting around in little 1.2l rice burners.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nah man ballot papers are ugly. Spruce them up with web 2.0 and logos and make the papers NFC so you can scan the candidate you want to vote for.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

xPanda posted:

They do! And that randomisation lead to him being the leftmost in NSW, which lead to what I said. It's shown to not work in all cases, which is probably why they're doing that logo thing.

I thought he meant that each ballot paper should be random, so in theory every party has an equal number of papers where they are on the left hand side.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

If my ballot paper doesn't have lens flare, cool ranch Doritos logos and MLG logos then I'm frankly not interested.

E: also weed leafs, technicolour bongs and snoop dogg

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
everyone should use postie bikes

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

gay picnic defence posted:

I thought he meant that each ballot paper should be random, so in theory every party has an equal number of papers where they are on the left hand side.

Ah, I see. Individual ballots as opposed to state level. Could work, but I suspect it wouldn't be long before we see someone try and gerrymander the ballot papers themselves.

Anidav posted:

Nah man ballot papers are ugly. Spruce them up with web 2.0 and logos and make the papers NFC so you can scan the candidate you want to vote for.
Agility spotted! Give that man a ministry.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

You should just have to write in the name of the party you want to vote for. If you don't get it character-perfect, including punctuation, your vote is void.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I vote for The Grens

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Every ballot should have a scratchie you can tear off.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

iajanus posted:

You should just have to write in the name of the party you want to vote for. If you don't get it character-perfect, including punctuation, your vote is void.

As a QLDer I approve.

I would also register the Labour Party

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

gay picnic defence posted:

it would be feasible to do this totally fairly if sentate voting is reformed to the point where there aren't a large number of bullshit small parties. Even with 12 candidates, there are 479001600 different ways of arranging them, so a lot of combinations would still be missed out, but it should be fairer than the current system.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Randomise the order once, then just rotate it So like:

A, B, C, D, E,...
B, C, D, E, F,...

etc, so there is equal distribution of "left most" for all parties, but you don't need every combination. Just X combinations where X is the number of parties or groups.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Man, I know Friendly Jordies is a ALP Right shill but he sure is good at tearing Mike Baird to shreds.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amoeba102 posted:

Randomise the order once, then just rotate it So like:

A, B, C, D, E,...
B, C, D, E, F,...

etc, so there is equal distribution of "left most" for all parties, but you don't need every combination. Just X combinations where X is the number of parties or groups.

Yeah, with this (or a Robson Rotation) you don't need to have every combination, just enough to spread out any donkey vote.

ACT has Robson Rotation for their stuff I think, if you want to it in action.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

'Public safety' is the new piety.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Laserface posted:

I ride a bicycle and what makes me mad is my helmet messing up my fringe on my way to work in the morning.

Australians have an authoritative streak because they want to mandate bicycle helmets not because they want to speed limit cars. :rolleyes:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They're both examples of Australia's authoritarian nature. It infects every aspect of our society from 'mutual obligations' at Centrelink, to bike helmets to the way we treat refugees. Australians like to see people who aren't like them punished and they especially love to dress it up as a moral issue. Not only a moral issue, but to make it a moral imperative.

We have to stop people going out late because of drunken violence, it would be immoral not to and if you disagree then you're immoral.

We have to lock up refugees because of deaths at sea, it would be immoral not to and if you disagree then you're immoral.

We have to make people wear bike helmets because of head injuries, it would be immoral not to and if you disagree then you're immoral.

We have to make people on Centrelink suffer because of bludgers, it would be immoral not to and if you disagree then you're immoral.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 22, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MaliciousOnion posted:

I imagine it would be too expensive to individually print millions of random ballots. For a similar reason for why we use pencils and not pens (cheaper/less maintenance vs. increased tamper resistance).

I thought about it for a few minutes and a "good compromise" might be to keep a set random order, but rotate the positioning so that 1/ngoups of ballots has your group at the front. Thereby reducing complexity from n! to n. However it might still end up being a substantial cost to break it up into 30+ smaller runs (for tablecloth ballots), and then having to shuffle/bundle the ballots up into appropriately sized packages. After all, it is a lot simpler and cheaper to have a newspaper printing press spit out 1 ballot, then cut and stack them into a single pile.

Although a quick look at statistics places donkey voting at a few percent (up to 5%) of the total vote. This seems like the sort of think you'd invest a little extra money to minimise or avoid, verses switching to pens to avoid a small, hypothetical amount of fraud.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://dontplaywithproperty.org.au/

The property lobby has a new campaign out against negative gearing changes. It feature this image as a background:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If your policy resembles a house of cards you probably should have stopped before it got to that point.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Man, I know Friendly Jordies is a ALP Right shill but he sure is good at tearing Mike Baird to shreds.

I thought he was just an ALP shill rather than specifically ALP right?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://dontplaywithproperty.org.au/

The property lobby has a new campaign out against negative gearing changes. It feature this image as a background:

:laffo:

"The Australian housing market is a house of cards, precariously balanced. Please help us keep it that way."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I thought he was just an ALP shill rather than specifically ALP right?

A facebook event recently revealed him as a guest of honour at an ALP Right Card Carrying Membership function.

ALSO:

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said the safety of the asylum seeker child "had to be paramount".

When asked about the issue today, Mr Shorten reiterated Labor's support for offshore processing, but highlighted the need for independent oversight of centres.

"The Government must deal with the unacceptable, indefinite detention which is occurring to some of the people on Nauru and Manus," he said.

"They must take up Labor's policies of proper oversight.

"I respect that Papua New Guinea and Nauru are sovereign nations, but these people are indirectly in Australia's care, so we need to make sure they get the highest standard of care."

Jesus Shorten just say "Upon reflection, sending babies to these places is wrong and therefore I have changed my opinion on the effectiveness of offshore detention."

It's not hard.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I think Cash hurt herself today

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60xXZpPgbQ

Comments are enabled, so get in quick!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

"Negative gearing has been around for over 100 years!"

To quote wikipedia:
"In July 1985, the Hawke/Keating government quarantined negative gearing interest expenses (on new transactions), so interest could only be claimed against rental income, not other income. (Any excess could be carried forward for use in later years.) What is less appreciated is that Hawke/Keating introduced negative gearing only six months prior. Previous to their initial decision the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (As Amended) had quarantined all property losses from deduction against income from personal exertion (other business or salary and wage income). Any losses incurred in any one year would be accumulated on a register and would only be allowed as a deduction from income from property in succeeding years. In so doing property income and property losses were in one 'bucket' and personal exertion income and losses were in another 'bucket'.

This ensured that either at personal level and more importantly at a national level, that property losses would not be subsidized by income from personal exertion. In applying this formula, all previous governments thereby isolated and consequently discouraged capital speculation being subsidized from the general income tax receipts pool."

So basically, you could only claim losses from your investment loan against your rental income. Which makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

They're both examples of Australia's authoritarian nature. It infects every aspect of our society from 'mutual obligations' at Centrelink, to bike helmets to the way we treat refugees. Australians like to see people who aren't like them punished and they especially love to dress it up as a moral issue. Not only a moral issue, but to make it a moral imperative.

We have to stop people going out late because of drunken violence, it would be immoral not to and if you disagree then you're immoral.

We have to lock up refugees because of deaths at sea, it would be immoral not to and if you disagree then you're immoral.

We have to make people wear bike helmets because of head injuries, it would be immoral not to and if you disagree then you're immoral.

We have to make people on Centrelink suffer because of bludgers, it would be immoral not to and if you disagree then you're immoral.

One of these things is not like the others...

• Locked thread