Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

hey who remembers ultima online

EQ didn't kill UO it was Trammel and Felucca :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Please make a zone with tons of hidden paths and trick dead-ends and traps, so that it can be documented before the patch even lands on 39 different websites.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Please make a zone with tons of hidden paths and trick dead-ends and traps, so that it can be documented before the patch even lands on 39 different websites.

Yeah really, the "exploration" and "wonder" dies when gamefaqs or a dedicated wiki is an alt tab away

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You can choose to not use such things. Unfortunately, you can rarely choose to avoid that one guy in your party who does and is now loudly howling at you for going the wrong way, and more then likely is questioning your sexual orientation because how very dare you go off exploring.

:sigh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thyrork posted:

You can choose to not use such things. Unfortunately, you can rarely choose to avoid that one guy in your party who does and is now loudly howling at you for going the wrong way, and more then likely is questioning your sexual orientation because how very dare you go off exploring.

There can't be a hidden village or anything in a world where most people are going to look it up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Thyrork posted:

It is pretty annoying when people go into duty finder well into a patch cycle, when people already know mechanics, and insist on being "unspoiled" on mechanics and making everyone else's run half an hour longer because of the wipes. I can see the appeal of wanting to figure it out yourself, but that's best done with a group of people you know or early on in the patch.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It is pretty annoying when people go into duty finder well into a patch cycle, when people already know mechanics, and insist on being "unspoiled" on mechanics and making everyone else's run half an hour longer because of the wipes. I can see the appeal of wanting to figure it out yourself, but that's best done with a group of people you know or early on in the patch.

True enough!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

But I'm roleplaying an ice mage who has no friends and shows up late to content.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Huh. I really never considered that first time people had to learn these mechanics the hard way. I'll take a hard pass on that and continue to stay behind the curve. I like the rundown of mechanics before a big boss fight, I feel like it builds togetherness.

To be fair to those though, what of people who have no friends and are new to the game?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

To be fair to those though, what of people who have no friends and are new to the game?
Make a party finder.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My method of dealing with this: type out the mechanics clearly and concisely in chat and let 'em eat poo poo. Being unspoiled on the mechanics only really works near to the start of release when you've got a group of people who are also unspoiled, because it's otherwise very clear what you're supposed to do (because you'll see everyone else doing them, even if you don't know what to do, and will likely unconsciously follow along).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I go into pretty much every fight blind and it works out fine. Just don't tell anyone you're new so they can argue whose tome bonus it is.

jellycat posted:

Also if you do it while people are literally loading in, it won't affect them.

Well, actually! :v:

While people are loading in, protect will work on them. It won't show the effect or whatever because their character isn't there, but it'll pop up in the party buffs and if you select them it'll say, surely enough, 29min of protect left. If they're in the watching cutscene thing, it won't work however, and even people who have skip cutscenes set pop into it for a second.

So the trick is, get a computer that loads 3 seconds before everyone else and you can put protect up before they load. And then get yelled at for not casting protect, because apparently buff bar doesn't exist for some people.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Truga posted:

I go into pretty much every fight blind and it works out fine. Just don't tell anyone you're new so they can argue whose tome bonus it is.

I feel like this would be seriously playing with fire when it comes to mechanics-heavy fights later on.
I mean running Sastasha blind is one thing but...

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

jwang posted:

XI is a poo poo game. As a former XI player from CoP to WotG, I freely admit to this. Anyone who tries to make XIV into XI will have my undying hatred.

Nostalgia is nostalgia because you filtered out all the bad poo poo from your memories. There's a reason why Wildstar failed, and it wasn't because it's not hardcore (grognardy) enough.

11 was genuinely good when it's only real competition was Luclin/Planes of Power-era EverQuest. It made a good deal of concessions and gameplay improvements to draw people from EQ. The moment WoW came out 2 years later and changed the MMO landscape,while FFXI failed to adapt, it became dead in the water.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I understand where people are coming from re: FFXI I think, since I still have fond memories of Ragnarok Online, aka Anime Hat Simulator 2000. But also gently caress anyone who wants to make a modern game play more like RO. That game was horrible, grindy bullshit we just liked because there wasn't anything better.

It sure was pretty, though :shobon:

Ragnarok Online was my first MMO too. :hfive: As much as I loved the hell out of that game and will always have rose-colored nostalgia glasses for it, it is the worst kind of Korean MMO. Still one of my favorite worlds though because it's so goddamn massive and there's a lot of lore to stumble upon throughout it.

jellycat posted:

I really liked the music in Ragnarok Online and I'd download the client years after I stopped playing just so I could get an updated version of the soundtrack to listen to.

Still my all-time favorite game soundtrack of anything. :unsmith:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just think back to my FFXI 75 cap lifestyle and the sense of accomplishment I had for doing literally everything I had to do. Even mid-level stuff was hard/took time to do. The sense of accomplishment was real. Getting AF (artifact gear) was a relatively epic accomplishment and quite a glamour, but it felt better. FFXIV is like having your parent hold your hand through every step making it easy for you. And don't get me wrong. I still love it and have fun doing it, I just don't feel the challenge, nor do I see the general audience of players have a higher skill level like they did in FFXI. Lv60 ppl who haven't a clue what they're doing is common. Which is totally messed up cause by then you should know what you're doing. Even I'm relatively new with 2 lvl 60's and shouldn't really judge much, but oh man. Game needs to be harder overall.

Another note. I took me about 8 month of grinding to reach my first capped level job in FFXI. A serious time sink and effort of straight up hard work. I felt so baller once I got there. So much pride. I got to 60 in under a month casually playing FFXIV. Someone can easily cap literally every job, DoL, DoH in under a year. What... the... f*ck is that... Zero pride in my two level 60s.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
RO is so good, even after numerous attempts by gravity to kill it dead, it's still their most profitable thing.

Augus posted:

I feel like this would be seriously playing with fire when it comes to mechanics-heavy fights later on.
I mean running Sastasha blind is one thing but...

I actually have no idea what the convo was about sorry. The only fights where I'd encourage to not go in blind are some coil or extreme/savage things, if the group wants to just complete it asap.

Everywhere else a mechanic missed by a single player just means a healer (so, me) has to push up to 2 buttons. Not a biggie.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Some of the HM dungeons like Wanderer's Palace Hard can be pretty rough blind. I'd play it safe and look it up if possible.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I do like to do every dungeon blind, but that's why I do them in the first days of the patch, with like-minded FC people.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Verranicus posted:

I just think back to my FFXI 75 cap lifestyle and the sense of accomplishment I had for doing literally everything I had to do. Even mid-level stuff was hard/took time to do. The sense of accomplishment was real. Getting AF (artifact gear) was a relatively epic accomplishment and quite a glamour, but it felt better. FFXIV is like having your parent hold your hand through every step making it easy for you. And don't get me wrong. I still love it and have fun doing it, I just don't feel the challenge, nor do I see the general audience of players have a higher skill level like they did in FFXI. Lv60 ppl who haven't a clue what they're doing is common. Which is totally messed up cause by then you should know what you're doing. Even I'm relatively new with 2 lvl 60's and shouldn't really judge much, but oh man. Game needs to be harder overall.

Another note. I took me about 8 month of grinding to reach my first capped level job in FFXI. A serious time sink and effort of straight up hard work. I felt so baller once I got there. So much pride. I got to 60 in under a month casually playing FFXIV. Someone can easily cap literally every job, DoL, DoH in under a year. What... the... f*ck is that... Zero pride in my two level 60s.

I agree with the whole feeling of accomplishment thing but let's be honest here, the only "skill" involved in getting to high levels in 11 was either being a bard, or being a decent person. The actual combat mechanics were barely above what EQ1 had.

That said, the 70cap Maat fight did keep a lot of shitters from either getting 75 period, or making them level thief instead to do the cheese way by stealing the item from Maat instead of beating him.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So basically what these FFXI fans want is an even more tedious Diadem?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

An even more tedious Diadem where you can level inside Diadem, and it's the only way to level, with the Notorious Monsters having 2+ hour cooldowns on respawning.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

hobbesmaster posted:

I think Diadem was meant to appeal to FFXI fans, but then the obvious thing happened: in 12 hours people figured out the optimal way to play it and demanded everyone who enter play it that way. That way of playing is the antithesis of fun and so no one does Diadem anymore.

These people don't seem to realize this will happen no matter what with every single thing added to the game. Any sense of exploration will last for half a day and then the optimal way to do the content will be figured out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

megalodong posted:

That said, the 70cap Maat fight did keep a lot of shitters from either getting 75 period, or making them level thief instead to do the cheese way by stealing the item from Maat instead of beating him.
Was this a real thing? I had to do that fight a total of twice... because my connection died in the middle the first time. It was a joke on BLM. Leveling THF to 66 (minimum) seems like it would have taken far longer.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

I understand where people are coming from re: FFXI I think, since I still have fond memories of Ragnarok Online, aka Anime Hat Simulator 2000. But also gently caress anyone who wants to make a modern game play more like RO. That game was horrible, grindy bullshit we just liked because there wasn't anything better.

It sure was pretty, though :shobon:

100x - 150x RO realms aren't too bad really? Kinda? Yeah I still have nostalgia for it sometimes but they I boot up anime hat simulator and level a hunter for a while and that cures it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Meldonox posted:

I tried to play XI on at least three occasions and there is no god drat way anyone could ever convince me that anyone genuinely enjoyed it.

In terms of the actual verbs of gameplay it may have been the least engaging game ever. "Press one button every minute! Watch as you auto attack!"

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

In terms of the actual verbs of gameplay it may have been the least engaging game ever. "Press one button every minute! Watch as you auto attack!"

That's pretty stock Everquest yeah.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hamsterlady posted:

These people don't seem to realize this will happen no matter what with every single thing added to the game. Any sense of exploration will last for half a day and then the optimal way to do the content will be figured out.

Unfortunately the day of freely exploring just doesn't exist anymore unless you really force yourself into it. Between rabid wiki-creators and straight-up data mining everything worthwhile is documented, and everyone bypasses all the fun side stuff if it doesn't give you something while chasing that top level. Games like Guild Wars and I suppose FFXIV helps by allowing you to go back to early content with scaling or job changing. But no matter what the focus of MMOs has definitely changed to be a race to the raid rather than a journey, so to speak. Which is bizarre since such a small portion of the community actively raids.

Of course, extremely rapid leveling doesn't help with the need to skip content, but that's just how it is. We've changed and the games changed with us.

Personally my favorite part of MMOs is the first month of them, which is probably why I've played a month of so, so many of them and nothing more.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Despite the PLD buffs, I suspect I will have a hard time in dungeons due to my ilevel being 170. Stopped playing as a PLD shortly after Alexander, and was trying to level up as DRG. Quickest way to catch up is running DF roulettes and weekly Alexander?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Weissritter posted:

Despite the PLD buffs, I suspect I will have a hard time in dungeons due to my ilevel being 170. Stopped playing as a PLD shortly after Alexander, and was trying to level up as DRG. Quickest way to catch up is running DF roulettes and weekly Alexander?

Gordias isn't weekly anymore, that'll get your poo poo up to i190 and a bunch of esoterics towards i200. Then of course dungeons and such.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Weissritter posted:

Just run a couple of alex normals to get some some upgrade items. If you get a premade you can probably ask for them specifically to save time. From there just fill in with esoteric gear since it's going to be cheaper and they aren't slowing down the gain of lower tomes so it'll be raining eso on your head.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Skaw posted:

An even more tedious Diadem where you can level inside Diadem, and it's the only way to level, with the Notorious Monsters having 2+ hour day cooldowns on respawning.

Fixed that for you.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Gordias not being weekly is great. What about weapon (other than relic, I only got to anima in 2.0)?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheShadowAvatar posted:

100x - 150x RO realms aren't too bad really? Kinda? Yeah I still have nostalgia for it sometimes but they I boot up anime hat simulator and level a hunter for a while and that cures it.

The one goons used to(?) play on was RebirthRO IIRC and it wasn't too bad. The xp/drop rates were decent and they didn't limit the Taekwon class's chain stuff to the top 10 or whatever that awful mechanic was, so if you were good/botted you could do shitloads of combo damage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Weissritter posted:

Gordias not being weekly is great. What about weapon (other than relic, I only got to anima in 2.0)?
Eso gets uncapped on Tuesday. I'd just grab an eso weapon... or relic up to 200 which is two steps but if you don't have the 2.0 relic finished it's the fate drops and then ten dungeons so I got nothing.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Weissritter posted:

In two days they'll be dropping the price of equipment bought with esoteric tomes so you'll be able to buy an i200 weapon for very little effort.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Nice, thanks for the replies. Hopefully I will catch up decently quickly!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm going to be the voice of opposition and say if you're interested in the new relic weapon, to maybe start working on it instead. You get an ilvl 200 weapon anyways, same model and everything, but because according to the preliminary patch notes, the tome cost of the un-IDed items aren't going to scaling down like everything else and you'll need every last one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm going to be the voice of opposition and say if you're interested in the new relic weapon, to maybe start working on it instead. You get an ilvl 200 weapon anyways, same model and everything, but because according to the preliminary patch notes, the tome cost of the un-IDed items aren't going to scaling down like everything else and you'll need every last one.
That's a valid point, I would spend all your law on relic items before law goes away.

(That said, you don't need those items until you have an i200 relic which is 18 FATE atma drops and also ten dungeon runs so it won't come up before Tuesday even if your socks are full of poop.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Weissritter posted:

Depending on luck with S Ranks, Hunts will get you up to scratch pretty quickly in 3.2.

• Locked thread