Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Didn't the Disciple of the Vault deck win that?

It was won by Big Red with maindeck Furnace Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
If I take Norin soul sisters to any big events, I'm going to write the name down as Trigger Warning: Boros.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?
So, in light of every regular format being shat all over by Eldrazi and what seems to be an abject lack of foresight by Wizards, I have decided to investigate Pauper. Why didn't I do this sooner? I honestly have no idea, considering I'm typically a pretty frugal person total cheapass. One day in and I've already brewed up my own takes on three decks. The best part is I can buy all three by selling a single land and still have enough money left over to buy a decent bottle of booze to help forget the recent happenings in other constructed formats.

What do all of you people think about Pauper?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Marauder posted:

It's the only good format left. Especially with Cloud of Faeries gone.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

odiv posted:

Since it's not "Izzet Eldrazi" does that mean we are going back to RUG instead of Temur?

Izzet Eldrazi Again? would be a pretty good name.

suicidesteve posted:

It's the only good format left. Especially with Cloud of Faeries gone.

Legacy :cmon:

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

The Marauder posted:

If you can find people to play it, its amazing. Cheap, but has a really high level of power and complexity. Plus, you can actually play interactive decks.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Too bad no one plays Pauper in paper.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Meh. Legacy has turned into 4 color good stuff, ANT, and Miracles. Pass.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Is Eldrazi a deck in Standard?

I mean, Standard is probably terrible because Standard, but I thought the best deck was still Rally?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rogue0071 posted:

Izzet Eldrazi Again? would be a pretty good name.

Legacy :cmon:

okay, only good format if you're not bourgeoisie scum or just really bad with money

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I didnt know they banned the faeries, that loving rules. Gonna get on mtgo later!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
come play in the next round of the pauper league you ding dongs https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764731&perpage=40

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elyv posted:

I mean, Standard is probably terrible because Standard, but I thought the best deck was still Rally?
I played against a grixis eldrazi deck on friday. It was okay but not great, I ran over it with marzipan aristocrats.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

It's gonna be very good after rotation and the ramp decks with World Breaker and Ulmogg are already pretty good now.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I played UR Eldrazi at a recent modern event and went against Elves in the final round. Took game 1 handily but the elves player sided in Essence Wardens which wrecked me when he had 2 by turn 3.

Turns out gaining 4-6 for each creature I play and 4-8 on each of his turns is enough to beat the Eldrazi menace.

Makes me really want to fit in some board wipes. Kozileks Return or something, but i know its just as dangerous for me too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Pauper is the most interactive format I have played. Almost an annoying level of interaction when playing against some decks. Though somehow boggles still exists in pauper.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Balon posted:

I played UR Eldrazi at a recent modern event and went against Elves in the final round. Took game 1 handily but the elves player sided in Essence Wardens which wrecked me when he had 2 by turn 3.

Turns out gaining 4-6 for each creature I play and 4-8 on each of his turns is enough to beat the Eldrazi menace.

Makes me really want to fit in some board wipes. Kozileks Return or something, but i know its just as dangerous for me too.

Just don't pack anything 7 or more casting cost.pmand it's second round won't trigger.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

checkplease posted:

Though somehow boggles still exists in pauper.

Gladecover Scout, Slippery Bogle and Aura Gnarlid were commons. Ethereal Armor, Spectral Flight, Hyena Umbra, and Rancor are all common too.

It's missing Kor Spiritdancer and Daybreak Coronet sure but the core plan of making a bogle's pants fat is still there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Balon posted:

Just play All is Dust I guess

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Lightning Lord posted:

Too bad no one plays Pauper in paper.

If ya look around you just might get lucky. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zILWbmOZoQJM.kh4HFNWH6fqg&hl=en_US

If you're in the Minneapolis area Universe Games runs Pauper at 5pm on Saturdays. There are loaner decks. They run things differently than most and use the printed commons list with the MTGO banlist. Hymn, Desert, High Tide, etc are legal while MTGO Masters Edition cards like Chainer's Edict and Battle Screech aren't.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Honestly, the only reason the affinity player won was because he drew both ensnaring bridge AND ghirapur - 2 ofs in his sideboard - AND his opponent didn't draw disenchant. I play affinity as one of my decks and am glad it won, but seriously if anyone looks at this as "eldrazi is beatable guys!!" and thinks it's somehow indicative of a healthy format and that the 20/32 eldrazi decks aren't insanely bad numbers... I don't know what to say.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ShaneB posted:

Honestly, the only reason the affinity player won was because he drew both ensnaring bridge AND ghirapur - 2 ofs in his sideboard - AND his opponent didn't draw disenchant. I play affinity as one of my decks and am glad it won, but seriously if anyone looks at this as "eldrazi is beatable guys!!" and thinks it's somehow indicative of a healthy format and that the 20/32 eldrazi decks aren't insanely bad numbers... I don't know what to say.

Some people are just eternal optimists.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

I love all Eternal formats and think it's cool and good that there's such a thing as an Eldrazi deck out there. But Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple's got to go.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Some people are just eternal optimists.

I'm more of a limited optimist, really

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Gladecover Scout, Slippery Bogle and Aura Gnarlid were commons. Ethereal Armor, Spectral Flight, Hyena Umbra, and Rancor are all common too.

It's missing Kor Spiritdancer and Daybreak Coronet sure but the core plan of making a bogle's pants fat is still there.

Oh yeah I was just annoyed because I was just playing a boggles deck with my rg madness and had no real good answer for hexproof/armadillo cloak in my 70. Though I am sure any deck with black probably has answers to it in pauper.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It does seem like the Affinity player had a good plan that could stop eldrazi, and I'm sure that some of the other decks can come up with good plans as well. I don't know if that will be enough to push people off the eldrazi plan but I think this does mean the start of the meta adjustment to the deck and I'm pretty sure it won't stop with one dude who plays affinity.

I think eye is super busted, because lands that tap for more than one mana are usually busted as gently caress, and this one can tap for 2-10 a turn or something like that which makes it ripe for abuse. I also think we should give people more time to find clever things to board in against them before we snap ban eye.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
So I haven't played in years and all my cards were tragically lost. A bunch of guys from work started playing, and the consensus is we are gonna play legacy, but I don't think anyone is planning on getting all the super expensive cards. Are there any fun casual, relatively cheap options out there for me? Is now a good time to get all standard cards to play casually with them and maybe take a crack at competitive for the first time?

I guess what I'm asking is should I buy a booster box or individual cards? I'm confident if I bought individual cards it would be unfun real fast for my casual friends, but I'm not sure if standard is playable buying just random packs based on the last few pages of this thread.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

I love all Eternal formats and think it's cool and good that there's such a thing as an Eldrazi deck out there. But Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple's got to go.

Sadly these two things are mutually exclusive :(

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

So I haven't played in years and all my cards were tragically lost. A bunch of guys from work started playing, and the consensus is we are gonna play legacy, but I don't think anyone is planning on getting all the super expensive cards. Are there any fun casual, relatively cheap options out there for me? Is now a good time to get all standard cards to play casually with them and maybe take a crack at competitive for the first time?

I guess what I'm asking is should I buy a booster box or individual cards? I'm confident if I bought individual cards it would be unfun real fast for my casual friends, but I'm not sure if standard is playable buying just random packs based on the last few pages of this thread.

If you buy packs of cards you should be doing something with them. Playing sealed or draft is the usual recommendation. Just buying packs to open in hopes of getting specific cards isn't economically effective and if you just want specific cards for as little money as possible you should buy singles.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can like whatever the hell I want.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eldrazis probably survive if just Eye or just Temple is banned. I'm not sure that WotC is willing to risk having the deck still be too good, though. If it keeps up its current win rate, WotC is going to burn it to the ground at the next B&R announcement.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

checkplease posted:

Pauper is the most interactive format I have played. Almost an annoying level of interaction when playing against some decks. Though somehow boggles still exists in pauper.

Infect also exists in Pauper.

Pauper is probably my favorite format! Where else can you play with Goblin Sledder and DEATH SPARK

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

Eldrazis probably survive if just Eye or just Temple is banned. I'm not sure that WotC is willing to risk having the deck still be too good, though. If it keeps up its current win rate, WotC is going to burn it to the ground at the next B&R announcement.

If Eye hypothetically stayed it's something I could see, but Temple alone means you have to mulligan to a 4-of to have your overpriced cards have any impact in a Modern game.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

If you buy packs of cards you should be doing something with them. Playing sealed or draft is the usual recommendation. Just buying packs to open in hopes of getting specific cards isn't economically effective and if you just want specific cards for as little money as possible you should buy singles.

Are there frequently sealed or draft tournaments all over? Having never played it, is it a format that's fun and refreshing after having only playing constructed on and off for ten years? And is there anywhere I can read up the strategy for one of these things so I'm not going in blind?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

smertrioslol posted:

Are there frequently sealed or draft tournaments all over? Having never played it, is it a format that's fun and refreshing after having only playing constructed on and off for ten years? And is there anywhere I can read up the strategy for one of these things so I'm not going in blind?

Friday Night Magic basically everywhere almost always has draft. Sealed happens at prerelease/release events typically.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Friday Night Magic basically everywhere almost always has draft. Sealed happens at prerelease/release events typically.

Do you keep the cards you end up drafting for a fee or something?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

smertrioslol posted:

Do you keep the cards you end up drafting for a fee or something?

Generally you pay $10-15, keep everything you draft, and get some number of prize packs if you did well.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Elyv posted:

Generally you pay $10-15, keep everything you draft, and get some number of prize packs if you did well.

That sounds pretty neat. Thanks for the advice everyone :sun:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love Eldrazi. Some of my best friends are Eldrazi. But, let's face it, Eldrazi are killing this format.

Maro is great! I love Maro. I played golf with Maro last week. But Maro can't make the bans we need to make Modern great again. When I'm head of R&D, I will make the best bans you'll ever see. The best bans. You're gonna love the bans I make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

smertrioslol posted:

That sounds pretty neat. Thanks for the advice everyone :sun:

Run away if you hear anyone mention "rare redrafting." Then nobody keeps rare cards they draft.

• Locked thread