Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

quote:

The commute for Ms. Roe will be more than an hour, which is a lot longer than the short walk from her $1,350 a month, West End apartment. But they want a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

How much of a drop in your quality of life is a backyard worth? A Lot, it seems.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If I could buy a self driving car tomorrow, I'd move to loving chiliwack.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 25, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://dontplaywithproperty.org.au/

The property lobby has a new campaign out against negative gearing changes. It feature this image as a background:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

If I could buy a self driving car tomorrow, I'd move to loving chiliwack.

There are a lot of non-commute related reasons to never move to Chiliwack.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
one of my aquaintances is an urban planner and a proponent of jane jacobs and all that new urbanism bullshit. he used to work for the city of chiliwack as an urban planner. lived in mount pleasant and car pooled with a couple other urban planners looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

James Baud posted:

Not seeing a quality of life hit, here. They even acknowledge that they'll need to find new jobs closer to the eventual home.

It's almost as if twenty year old single goons and people who have already lived in condos for five or ten years have a difference of opinion regarding social priorities and whether it is reasonable to raise kids in said condo.

Sounds like they are jumping the gun and rushing out to buy a house before they even have kids.

When we have kids 2-3 years from now we will need a house with a backyard and white picket fence!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
this loving house has a basement suite

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16576863/266-FIR-STREET-Cultus-Lake-British-Columbia-V2R4Y5

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i swear to loving god i'm gonna choke the next motherfucker i meet from abbotsford

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16585611/563-MCCALLUM-ROAD-Abbotsford-British-Columbia-V2S8A1

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ccs posted:

Speaking of Vancouver:

"While the budget delivered Tuesday by Finance Minister Mike de Jong did not lay out a plan to cap or limit existing tax credits, it did note that with a weak Canadian dollar there is fiscal pressure on the provincial coffers. This year, the province expects about $500 million in film and television tax credits. In previous years, the subsidy cost the government between $150 and $350 million. -
See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/business/film-credit-tinkering-worry-for-local-sector-1.2176788#sthash.VglfryWc.dpuf"

$500 million. The BC government is spending half a billion dollars subsidizing the American entertainment industry. But the local industry still complains that they're "fledgling". Ha.

They don't even pretend they're shooting in BC for locations anymore. It's only to do with what gives them the most free money.

The industry is gone if they do a significant cut.

Because the BC politicians have no idea how the industry works, and the locals are clueless. Just by browsing /r/vancouver on reddit reinforces this. People think that the film tax credits don't cost anything. It does, that's why there's a half a billion dollar a year hole in the budget and growing because Vancouver is doing what we call in the industry... "buying work".

All the on set / IATSE guys are getting a 45% subsidy, and guys like me [digital/post/vfx] are getting 58% subsidy on our wages.

No caps, no limits, no worker restrictions on nationality.. the VFX/Animation guys are going to kill that "golden goose". There's companies that are in such a rush to setup 300 workers [mostly on visas] they're running entire productions off diesel generators for months on end because they can't shut down production long enough to allow BC hydro to come do their thing.

Now here's the thing they mention.. the exchange rate allows then to lower the subsidy but they're missing a key component.

You can go an finance parts of a film using film subsidy money as collateral. It's 100% guaranteed money. So the big studios force productions to do as much as they can in subsidized locations so they can get enough subsidy money where they can easily finance the show. You can't use a low exchange rate as collateral.

I'm predicting a cap, or a big reduction in subsides. I'm also thinking the local stagehand / on set crews are going to throw the VFX/Post guys under the bus on this. They'll kill DAVE and the VFX subsidy to save the on set jobs, those guys are unionized and local and they vote. Most of the VFX guys don't have any of that organization going on.

It's nuts. I hate Vancouver, and I'm literally getting paid to live and work here by the government. For two more months at least, I'm hoping to be back in LA when Save BC Film part 2 kicks off.

/edit

To add, my landlord sold the furnished Olympic Village studio that I rent. For half a million. Its a nice concrete box, but good lord, there's no pool, no trash/recycle chutes and no mechanical ventilation, just 2 $50 baseboard electric heaters. People pay 6 figures for this living?

I was hoping the new landlord would kick me out so I can get the 3 months worth of rent pay thing, but he just purchased the unit as an investment rental. Great.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 22, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This year's spring housing mania is going to be f u c k i n g i n s a n e

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big K of Justice posted:

For two more months at least, I'm hoping to be back in LA when Save BC Film part 2 kicks off..

lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The best part is that this is in such a lovely part of Abbotsford, the previous owners probably built it by digging a tunnel into Washington and smuggling drugs through it.

It's literally just farms (which means blueberry cannons going off every 15 minutes in the summer) and lovely old houses, with a healthy smattering of traffic trying to take a shortcut to get to the border crossing when lines are long.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
What the hell is a blueberry cannon? Google brings up stuff about banning propane, and I do not understand.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Myriarch posted:

What the hell is a blueberry cannon? Google brings up stuff about banning propane, and I do not understand.

I'm sick and delirious it might be called something else but I'm 95% sure in my current state that that's what they're called.

Basically blueberry (and basically all other plant) farmers in Abbotsford decided that they were tired of birds picking their crops clean, so they installed air cannons that go off every 15 minutes or so. They're not that annoying when you just drive through, it's pretty similar to the sound of explosives triggering avalanches on the mountains here every morning. I don't know how annoying they'd be if you heard them 25 times a day but whatever.

But of course, Abbotsford being Abbotsford, the people who bought non-farms or tiny farms that don't really grow things commercially decided that they didn't like the cannons, because they ~*~REDUCE THEIR PROPERTY VALUES~*~ but also their quality of life by going off every 15 minutes, and the farmers (pretty rightfully, IMO) went "lol gently caress off you knew you were buying in loving farmland" and the city sided with the farmers so now they're allowed their cannons but every summer there's a big fight about it.

edit:

https://www.facebook.com/BanTheCannons/
http://www.banthecannons.com/

and because the headline of this article made me laugh:

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Drone+scarecrows+future+blueberry+farming/11163830/story.html?__lsa=c486-5119

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Myriarch posted:

Noise maker to scare birds away. Some explode propane to make noise.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Big K of Justice posted:

The industry is gone if they do a significant cut.

No caps, no limits, no worker restrictions on nationality.. the VFX/Animation guys are going to kill that "golden goose". There's companies that are in such a rush to setup 300 workers [mostly on visas] they're running entire productions off diesel generators for months on end because they can't shut down production long enough to allow BC hydro to come do their thing.

I'm predicting a cap, or a big reduction in subsides. I'm also thinking the local stagehand / on set crews are going to throw the VFX/Post guys under the bus on this. They'll kill DAVE and the VFX subsidy to save the on set jobs, those guys are unionized and local and they vote. Most of the VFX guys don't have any of that organization going on.

i have been out of the industry for a couple years but IATSE despise the vfx subsidy and have been lobbying to kill it for years. Most of the IATSE local are actual locals who make Vancouver their home and the perception is the VFX subsidy goes to a bunch of carpet baggers who will abandon BC for Montreal or Christchurch or New Orleans or whatever the second they offer a better bribe.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What do vfx people make annually with all their crazy overtime?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Nova Scotia NDP keep emailing me to tell me how important the NS film subsidy is and how they want to bring it back and they're just making themselves look worse than Stephen McNeil

I must have filled out some sort of card that told them I was an English major or something and they think that's the angle that will get my gears grinding... ugh

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

What do vfx people make annually with all their crazy overtime?

Usually nothing because movies never make money because movie productions go in to a ton of debt by borrowing money from... well... themselves I guess but ITS COMPLICATED BUSINESS AND THE FILM INDUSTRY NEEDS SUBSIDIZES AND DONT PIRATE MOVIES OK

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

Usually nothing because movies never make money because movie productions go in to a ton of debt by borrowing money from... well... themselves I guess but ITS COMPLICATED BUSINESS AND THE FILM INDUSTRY NEEDS SUBSIDIZES AND DONT PIRATE MOVIES OK

Do you mean that most vfx work is paid out of points on the back end? That sounds insane even by the standards of this thread.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean that most vfx work is paid out of points on the back end? That sounds insane even by the standards of this thread.

The VFX company that made the oscar winning visual work of Life of Pi literally went bankrupt just 11 days before getting the price. It's an insane field.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xoidanor posted:

The VFX company that made the oscar winning visual work of Life of Pi literally went bankrupt just 11 days before getting the price. It's an insane field.

But the employees are on salary, not just paid out of profit sharing, right? Right up until they're not paid at all, I guess...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
No one cares about the film industry, not even the stage hands or local extra's

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

But the employees are on salary, not just paid out of profit sharing, right? Right up until they're not paid at all, I guess...

Companies on the track to bankruptcy tend to not pay salaries owed due to the whole bondsmen hanging outside their door like a pack of hungry wolves thing. If they recover they can always pay their employees back. If not, there's always FYGM.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry employees. I went bankrupt because I owed myself a ton of money and had to pay myself first, there's simply none left for any of you. Piracy hurts us all. - film_industry.txt

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Time to start writing liquidation preference into employment contracts.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Saving this for future use.

It's going to be a miserable poo poo show when the market crashes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Springtime For Hitler wasn't far from the truth?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://dontplaywithproperty.org.au/

The property lobby has a new campaign out against negative gearing changes. It feature this image as a background:

lol

Don't touch it!! We're just two cards away from finally finishing our forever home!

Did that terminally stupid idea of negative gearing ever catch on anywhere else? Japan apparently, parts of the US? Why not in Canada?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What is negative gearing actually in this context? Is it using the prospective future growth of your asset as collateral or it is just a "I'm going to rent out my place" thing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xoidanor posted:

What is negative gearing actually in this context? Is it using the prospective future growth of your asset as collateral or it is just a "I'm going to rent out my place" thing?

AIUI, it's where the income from an investment (such as buying a house) doesn't cover the costs (such as mortgage), and the expectation is that increase in asset value will compensate. I think the "don't gently caress with negative gearing" thing is that in Australia, unusually, negative gearing losses can be used to offset salary and income, reducing the financial impact substantially.

Most margin loans are negative gearing, in that the dividends from the shares (very often zero) don't cover the interest on the loan.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Anyone have one of these bad boys for TO?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kit-and-ace-layoffs-1.3458794

lol overpriced loungewear/intergenerational wealth transfer fuckhead recipient can't business

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

lol overpriced loungewear/intergenerational wealth transfer fuckhead recipient can't business

He does have a pretty nice mansion though

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The terrible "not for yoga" bus advertisements around Vancouver were an early signal that things may not be going all that well at Kit and Ace.

Their rate of growth has been crazy and seemingly totally out of scale with demand. With Lululemon it was abundantly clear early on that they were onto something, and you could visibly see how popular the clothes were. Kit and Ace is nowhere near that.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM MYSELF INTO SOME TECHNICAL CASHMERE. IT’S KIT AND ACE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING MY MORNING GRATITUDE YOGA SEQUENCE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I TAKE DEEP UJJAYI BREATHS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY AWAKENED THE POWER OF THE HEART CHAKRA IN THE LUXURIOUS COMFORT OF TECHNICAL CASHMERE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MOVES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF GROUNDED, CENTERED, AND GRATEFUL BY DOING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like that rents have increased at a slower pace than all those other metrics, yet people still insist on buying a house. Very strange.