Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Krad posted:

Yeah but I want undead maybe mob boss Grundy. He already died, just say that they transferred his body to Central City before the particle accelerator exploded or something and bring him back.

They already showed weird chemicals dripping over his weird corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
He's an easy retcon to do though, like Count Vertigo was.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

computer parts posted:

He's an easy retcon to do though, like Count Vertigo was.

They don't have to retcon anything, anyone even the slightest bit genre aware knows that weird chemicals dripping over a corpse means that guy is coming back as a monster

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I'm thinking Zombie Hulk Solomon, not what we got.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SonicRulez posted:

I guess I kinda thought this episode was gonna be based around Team Arrow being trapped in with a bunch of Ghosts and the Demolition raining down on them and they'd have to use cool superhero tactics to fight out of it. That's not what I got. What we got wasn't bad, but it's not what I wanted.

The accuracy here hurts me.

Post it on Amell's facebook, watch the metaphorical white knights raise their swords..

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I can't help but be offended that Felicity's disability might be undone with a simple computer chip (and a self-sustaining power source) embedded in her spine. I think the few episodes of Felicity getting used to the wheelchair and regaining her strength, self-confidence, and pride, all while continuing to be smart, capable, and sexy have been such a powerful story arc for her. It has been one of the highlights of Season 4, in fact. At least the writers haven't committed the common error of referring to her as "wheelchair-bound," which is wholly inaccurate, considering wheelchairs empower people with spinal cord injuries and other disabilities to be more independent than they would be without them.

This is close to my heart because I'm married to a brilliant and beautiful woman with a disability (who actually teaches a college course on Media and Disability), and this storyline even got her to start watching Arrow with me. She loved the conversation between Felicity and her former goth self, as she abandoned the pain meds and embraced her new identity, turning her limitations into newfound strength and resolve. I know the writers intended the Curtis Holt character to have the best intentions, but the idea that Felicity has to literally "walk" down the aisle to marry the love of her life is disappointing at best and offensive at worst.

After DC Comics undid Barbara Gordon's disability (after almost 20 years of Oracle being an amazing and unique character), I was really hoping the Arrow writers were attempting to rectify that with Felicity. There aren't enough people with disabilities on TV, especially ones treated as strong, smart, sexy characters.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
The last thing this show needs is even more focus on Felicity.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you can cure a disability you do. I wouldn't expect less in a universe with time travel, magic, and super soldier serum.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I can't help but be offended that Felicity's disability might be undone with a simple computer chip (and a self-sustaining power source) embedded in her spine. I think the few episodes of Felicity getting used to the wheelchair and regaining her strength, self-confidence, and pride, all while continuing to be smart, capable, and sexy have been such a powerful story arc for her. It has been one of the highlights of Season 4, in fact. At least the writers haven't committed the common error of referring to her as "wheelchair-bound," which is wholly inaccurate, considering wheelchairs empower people with spinal cord injuries and other disabilities to be more independent than they would be without them.

This is close to my heart because I'm married to a brilliant and beautiful woman with a disability (who actually teaches a college course on Media and Disability), and this storyline even got her to start watching Arrow with me. She loved the conversation between Felicity and her former goth self, as she abandoned the pain meds and embraced her new identity, turning her limitations into newfound strength and resolve. I know the writers intended the Curtis Holt character to have the best intentions, but the idea that Felicity has to literally "walk" down the aisle to marry the love of her life is disappointing at best and offensive at worst.

After DC Comics undid Barbara Gordon's disability (after almost 20 years of Oracle being an amazing and unique character), I was really hoping the Arrow writers were attempting to rectify that with Felicity. There aren't enough people with disabilities on TV, especially ones treated as strong, smart, sexy characters.

lol

Lazy writing, yea sure. Offended? lmao

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Krad posted:

The last thing this show needs is even more focus on Felicity.

This. Plus, as you said, we got this with Babs. I have no interest in seeing Felicity do it. Especially without all the cool Batgirl poo poo before and afterwards.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Proof that people will get offended by literally anything.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Wanting this show to keep stringing along a bad storyline because you married a cripple is incredibly selfish of you.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Whizbang posted:

Wanting this show to keep stringing along a bad storyline because you married a cripple is incredibly selfish of you.

You know, at first I wasn't sure but yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that we need a little bit more positive disability representation in the media.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Whizbang posted:

Yeah, y'know, I didn't completely agree with Voodoo Lou at first but now I do, out of spite. Because you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Wow, you're a real dickhead.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, y'know, I didn't completely agree with Voodoo Lou at first but now I do, out of spite. Because you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

I'm Ra's al Ghul!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Whizbang posted:

gat drat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just when you think nobody could be a bigger dick that Enraged Camel, there you go.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was never going to last because Rickards isn't handicapped, and it sucks a lot to have to film every scene in a wheelchair.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

It was never going to last because Rickards isn't handicapped, and it sucks a lot to have to film every scene in a wheelchair.

Yeah, as cool as the representation of having Felicity in the wheelchair is, logistically it's just not feasible to keep it up.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I still say Cisco should have gifted her Well's chair.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
She could've made an Atom suit, or even just Atom pants, that do her walking for her. We already saw this when she wore Ray's suit but she didn't need to move to control it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Reversing Barbara Gordon's disability was one of the dumbest moves DC ever did. All of the best Barbara Gordon stories were told while she was oracle - to the point where I'd argue its essential to her character.

Much as I love the DCAU's streamlining of many comic elements, including Batgirl basically becoming Dick Grayson's replacement for a period of time, I really did miss Oracle.

Arrow's handled Felicity's disability well, I guess. It truthfully hasn't impacted the larger season much - we didn't even get an episode with Oliver and the Arrow-Crew reacting and adjusting to her injury.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, as cool as the representation of having Felicity in the wheelchair is, logistically it's just not feasible to keep it up.

Why? That kid did it on Glee for like 5 years.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know, Malcom can count the people he's murdered with one hand.

Well it's not like he has a choice any more is it?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Narcissus1916 posted:

Reversing Barbara Gordon's disability was one of the dumbest moves DC ever did. All of the best Barbara Gordon stories were told while she was oracle - to the point where I'd argue its essential to her character.

Much as I love the DCAU's streamlining of many comic elements, including Batgirl basically becoming Dick Grayson's replacement for a period of time, I really did miss Oracle.

Arrow's handled Felicity's disability well, I guess. It truthfully hasn't impacted the larger season much - we didn't even get an episode with Oliver and the Arrow-Crew reacting and adjusting to her injury.

The new Batgirl of Burnside series is fantastic; I'd much rather have this than Oracle in current DC books.

We didn't need an episode of the crew reacting and adjusting because it changed nothing for the team dynamic. It wasn't taking Diggle out of the field and putting him behind a desk. It was taking Felicity from her office chair and computer and putting her at a wheel chair and computer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why? That kid did it on Glee for like 5 years.

Wasn't there a shitstorm when it came out that he wasn't actually handicapped?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ville Valo posted:

The new Batgirl of Burnside series is fantastic; I'd much rather have this than Oracle in current DC books.

We didn't need an episode of the crew reacting and adjusting because it changed nothing for the team dynamic. It wasn't taking Diggle out of the field and putting him behind a desk. It was taking Felicity from her office chair and computer and putting her at a wheel chair and computer.

By the way, I was looking at the first trade of it, Dinah Lance is Black Canary now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

By the way, I was looking at the first trade of it, Dinah Lance is Black Canary now?

Since when was Dinah not Black Canary?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dinah Laurel Lance no longer exists. Dinah Drake is Black Canary now/again. She marries a guy named Kurt Lance but he dies (but not really.)

No Wildcat involvement anymore, she's probably no longer considered one of the better fighters in the DC universe, and no more Green Arrow relationship.

Also she can fly like Banshee apparently.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A cripple with perfect calf muscles... MY IMMERSION! :rolleyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

A cripple with perfect calf muscles... MY IMMERSION! :rolleyes:

She's only been crippled for like 5 days.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Dinah Laurel Lance no longer exists. Dinah Drake is Black Canary now/again. She marries a guy named Kurt Lance but he dies (but not really.)

No Wildcat involvement anymore, she's probably no longer considered one of the better fighters in the DC universe, and no more Green Arrow relationship.

Also she can fly like Banshee apparently.

Okay, that's what I was confused. Green Arrow is one of the major DC books I know the least about. I knew there was a Laural Lance and a Dinah Lance but wasn't aware they were the same person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did it that way because it was a retcon. They decided the last X years of the character was actually the daughter, instead of actually transitioning at some point.

The one who did anything anyone knows or cares about was the younger Canary, including the one the show's version is based on. I read somewhere (probably this thread) they had her called Dinah during production but it's a weird name that doesn't work being spoken, so they changed it.

There is and only ever has been one Canary in New 52, and she's not really either of the previous ones. She's been changed in like every way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

They did it that way because it was a retcon. They decided the last X years of the character was actually the daughter, instead of actually transitioning at some point.

The one who did anything anyone knows or cares about was the younger Canary, including the one the show's version is based on. I read somewhere (probably this thread) they had her called Dinah during production but it's a weird name that doesn't work being spoken, so they changed it.

There is and only ever has been one Canary in New 52, and she's not really either of the previous ones. She's been changed in like every way.

It was more that one was involved with the JSA and a character that occurred in the Golden Age of comics. This was all on earth 2 and eventually during a team up on earth one and two, the original died and her daughter went to earth 2 and stated a relationship with Green Arrow.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

Did not know that the new batgirl is good - I'll have to check it out.

I'm frankly just bitter that Cassandra Cain was so casually tossed aside a few years ago.

What I wouldn't give to see Cassandra (or her father) show up on Arrow. I'd say its impossible but we somehow got a version of Nyssa.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Narcissus1916 posted:

What I wouldn't give to see Cassandra (or her father) show up on Arrow. I'd say its impossible but we somehow got a version of Nyssa.

They have been introduced in the new Batman weekly series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Actually, if Supergirl becomes a big enough hit, I'd be so down for a Batgirl tv show that is based on the current series. I absolutely love some Babs Gordon, either as Batgirl or Oracle.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Babs & Cassie Cain sharing an apartment, kicking the gently caress out of mooks, arguing over the last of the cheerios... i'd watch that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Batgirl of Burndide is good, but it sorta feels like this should've taken place before she became Oracle rather than after. It's likely because of the art style and writing and the New 52 that she's more youthful than before, but Stephanie Brown as Batgirl was good. Cassandra Cain was also good (mostly in theory sadly)

• Locked thread