Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

That's exactly what it sounds like around the Chermside Westfield every dusk. Fucken lorikeets :allears:

There are rainbow lorikeets here and they kick up a fuss every sunset but luckily there's nowhere near the sheer number of them that you get in some places. I assume the massive flocks of ibises and their pet corellas from the wetlands scare them off.

the suburb i live in is aprox 50% corella, 50% rainbow lorikeet + 1 indian ringneck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

"C'mere pink monkey, let's hold hands."

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Can you imagine what the dinosaur ancestor of a cockatoo was like? Size it up about 10x, with associated 10x volume and lust for violence. D: The bitiest of whities.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

blackflare posted:

Can you imagine what the dinosaur ancestor of a cockatoo was like? Size it up about 10x, with associated 10x volume and lust for violence. D: The bitiest of whities.

I posted this in the chicken thread, but applicable.

Cythereal posted:

There's a good chance this is more accurate than Jurassic Park was.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if T. Rex would go nuts for a giant jingly ball

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Well we can't prove they weren't giant fatbirds

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is a good webcomic.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, I love the ones with the raptors. The world's fattest pigeon is also excellent :3:

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Battle Pigeon posted:

Cool, hadn't heard of that one before. Google didn't help, is it a specific breeder thing?

I think they're commonly called a turquoise mutation. I usually call him 'you little bastard'.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
After having his advances towards my ponytail rebuffed too many times, Toast has found a new and better waifu, my mouse hand. After all, he has cuddled with it before and it regularly gives him tickles so it must be up for it! Men! :argh:

My parents came around yesterday to drop off my birthday present, a pullup/chinup bar while they're visiting other rellies in the city prior to getting on a plane to go to Tasmania for a few weeks. Toast was very happy to see them but annoyed that he had to go back in the cage whenever the front or back doors were open.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Question time bird goons.

Marty the YSGCC is a bitey cute bastard, but we can't seem to keep her occupied when she's out of her cage. The only thing that will keep her still is being clutched ice-cream cone style in one hand, which works sometimes but can be tiring after awhile.

She has a table perch, foraging toys, food, water, toys, more toys and more, but all she wants to do is either a) climb your shoulder and bite your neck, b) pry the keys off the keyboard, or c) attack your hands while mousing.

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled because Albert enjoys her playgym and the toys there, only stopping occasionally to fly over and get skritches before flying back, but Marty is a constant.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
What is it with birds hiding their heads in bells? My parakeet has a green cheek sized bell in her cage that she adores. She uses it in a weird way to send me signals that I haven't quite figured out. She makes it clang in such a specific way.

But she went through about a two year phase of just cramming her face in there and murbling for hours.

How long have your all "Bin of Budgies" parakeets lasted? I'm always worried because Tito only made it about four or five years before stroking out badly and having to be put down. Tito ate pellets and was a healthy size.

Chuck is about eight years old, eats lovely seeds that even a vet couldn't get her off of after two weeks, is super undersized, very disheveled, and keeps on trucking like a pro.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

What is it with birds hiding their heads in bells? My parakeet has a green cheek sized bell in her cage that she adores. She uses it in a weird way to send me signals that I haven't quite figured out. She makes it clang in such a specific way.

But she went through about a two year phase of just cramming her face in there and murbling for hours.

How long have your all "Bin of Budgies" parakeets lasted? I'm always worried because Tito only made it about four or five years before stroking out badly and having to be put down. Tito ate pellets and was a healthy size.

Chuck is about eight years old, eats lovely seeds that even a vet couldn't get her off of after two weeks, is super undersized, very disheveled, and keeps on trucking like a pro.

Toast loves chewing/attacking the clanger inside bells but so far hasn't decided to be cute and wear one as a hat :sigh: And yeah I've never heard of Bin o' Budgie budgies being very long-lived... Like pet-store rats, they'll usually be friendly and lovely and great pets, but will die much younger than they should do because the breeder is focusing on getting more babies out there rather than ensuring the long-term health and happiness of the breed. There'll be some individual birds or rats who live to a healthy old age, but they're very much outliers.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Log posted:

My bin budgies lasted between 2 and 8 years. I have some English budgies now and they're coming up on 7 and are healthy, but they were from a good breeder.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Grraarrgghh posted:

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled because Albert enjoys her playgym and the toys there, only stopping occasionally to fly over and get skritches before flying back, but Marty is a constant.

If you wanted another self-contained/independent bird a GCC was probably not the best choice.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

If you wanted another self-contained/independent bird a GCC was probably not the best choice.

wild birds are all independent which is why they're so great

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dreggon posted:

wild birds are all independent which is why they're so great

Nice try, Gaston.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
A little late to the discussion on parrots throwing and dropping things, but man, do they love doing it. Max the cockatoo is constantly flinging things.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

An endless fascination of how all other things are utterly unable to fly.

Alternatively, a constant failure to formulate a theory of gravity.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That or tiny bird thinks it's an eagle.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe birbs are trying to protect us from the terrible secret of space :tinfoil:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Finally weighed Steve, and he's 95g, which according to my post history is exactly the same as when he was last weighed. So the pellets are doing no harm and he can continue to go hog wild on them

We have given up with Ohtori and Zupreem pellets-he's the kind of bird that eats everything he can, and for him to consistantly ignore and refuse means he really doesn't like them. So gonna order Nutribird for him again, since he loved that and wastes so much Harrisons. That means that daily in their dry food bowls they get:

Ohtori: Harrison's (coarse), Nutribird P15, blueberry/hibiscus/raspberry dried tea mix, some cardamon pods, a Cheerio or two, a sprinkle of some seeds in the evening if he's good
Steve: One bowl of good quality seed mix, one bowl of M/L Zupreem, two or three Cheerios
Inko: Harrison's (fine), sometimes the tea mix, a Cheerio or two, some seeds sprinkled in his egg box in the evening

And that's just dry foods

Suntan Boy posted:

Would shake his foot and get bitten, just look at that face

Captain Log posted:

What is it with birds hiding their heads in bells?

None of mine have done it-I used to hang some bells at head height in the cockatiel's cage in hope, but he never did :(

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Suntan Boy posted:

looks like happy bird

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

looks like happy bird

There is a Galah at my local pet shop who sticks her feet up like that sometimes while asking "Scratch?" If you are smart, you will realise "foot up" plus "don't touch the birb!!!!!" signs means that when she says "Scratch?" she's not asking for you to scratch her... She's asking if she can scratch you.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In Australia, bitey whitey scritches you

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Give me some credit, obvs I knew that a GCC would be notably more demanding and velcro-y than a Red Belly, I guess 100% time spent on us/attacking us wasn't expected. Even just a 10% respite, or learning how to mitigate neck biting would be helpful. These are issues i didn't encounter with Albert.

Now don't take away that our experience with her has been entirely negative; she's hilarious, cute as hell, vocal, bouncy and vibrant.

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 22, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Grraarrgghh posted:

Even just a 10% respite, or learning how to mitigate neck biting would be helpful

Put her on the floor/away from you when bitey, so bite = bored/separation

Or scarf/bird necklace/grow your hair out/turtleneck jumpers

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Loki update: Friend has a male bought from the same place I got her, she was making noise as they went passed the main flight, he started screaming and flying at the mesh when he heard her and was going to hurt himself, so he took him out of that flight and into the naughty shed where she is. She flew over to him and snuggled up as soon as she saw him and hasn't left his side or made a sound since. As she never showed even the slightest interest in Thor we can only conclude that by sheer random chance that out of the 20+ birds they had we each ended up with one half of a bonded pair, and her distress was because she missed my friend's bird.

Still a better love story than twilight.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

learnincurve posted:

Loki update: Friend has a male bought from the same place I got her, she was making noise as they went passed the main flight, he started screaming and flying at the mesh when he heard her and was going to hurt himself, so he took him out of that flight and into the naughty shed where she is. She flew over to him and snuggled up as soon as she saw him and hasn't left his side or made a sound since. As she never showed even the slightest interest in Thor we can only conclude that by sheer random chance that out of the 20+ birds they had we each ended up with one half of a bonded pair, and her distress was because she missed my friend's bird.

oh my goodness :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Grraarrgghh posted:

Give me some credit, obvs I knew that a GCC would be notably more demanding and velcro-y than a Red Belly, I guess 100% time spent on us/attacking us wasn't expected. Even just a 10% respite, or learning how to mitigate neck biting would be helpful. These are issues i didn't encounter with Albert.

Now don't take away that our experience with her has been entirely negative; she's hilarious, cute as hell, vocal, bouncy and vibrant.
Haha sorry if I sounded blunt, that was sort of a late-night thought while I looked through the forums. It sounds to me like she wants to play with you but hasn't learned proper boundaries or beak etiquette yet. If she was older and you trusted each other more, I'd suggest wrestling with her beak and feet when she attacks your mouse hand to engage her and redirect her energy into something fun and interactive. Maybe tease her with q-tips or rolled up napkin to attack instead?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I kinda think birds just don't get the difference between play fighting and real fighting like cats and dogs do. Makes sense I guess, when you are at the bottom of the food chain + are fragile as hell, you don't really have time to evolve a play instinct

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

:3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The cleaning lady who cleaned my apartment the other week told me she was terrified of birds because her grandfather had a parrot that would bite her and just be mean. Of course the parrot was an African Gray.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0Y2hVe_bw

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Inko is actually using the shelf perch I specially set up for him to sleep on, at night while covered up for the first time ever :kimchi: And I even cleaned his floor and gave him a bunch of extra new paper towels to sleep under today. Maybe that's why. I wonder if he'll stay there the whole night

E: He heard me eating/drinking, got pissy about it and went down to the floor, that lasted long lmao

Quoting from a few pages back but I have a ringneck dove with a bad foot that I've been meaning to make a shelf perch for and have no idea where to start. How did you make yours/where does it sit and/or attach to the cage?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Toast loves chewing/attacking the clanger inside bells but so far hasn't decided to be cute and wear one as a hat :sigh:
I'm pretty sure Chirpy almost died from chewing on a bell toy (it was either that or a disco ball toy, but somehow he got metal in his stomach) so watch out with those.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

learnincurve posted:

I'm glad it ended happily. :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

learnincurve posted:

That is so terribly sad...but sweet as well. Poor Loki....hopefully she is happier in her life now :) See, you did a good thing for her!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thinking more it's very slightly less of a coincidence. I got mine when there was a flock of them, friend is a breeder and he exchanged some budgies for the last male left, even though he was prettier than the grey females no one wanted him because he was clearly a bitey angry little sod. Friend didn't care because he was going in a flight - If he was acting like that because his mate was taken away, and friend was always going to get him because I was the one who sent him there to make the deal, then working out the odds it's like 1 in 12 that I ended up with the other half of the pair.

Shy and Drama being re-united is another big :gulp: moment with them calling to each other up the stairs. What's freaky there is that there are three pairs of mutated red rumps around from the same breeder around, other two pairs have had to be separated because the male very quickly turned on the female. Mine are the oldest pair and there has never been a cross moment between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

So where are the pictures of these two snuggling?