Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want to play wild arms 2 at some point after i beat the first one, i dig the way it looks in general a lot more, but at the same time i hear the translation is absolutely terrible to the point that it ruins the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i want to play wild arms 2 at some point after i beat the first one, i dig the way it looks in general a lot more, but at the same time i hear the translation is absolutely terrible to the point that it ruins the story

I wouldn't say it ruins the story (which already got problems) but it certainly has issues.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll probably give it a shot at some point, maybe after i play through final fantasy 7 and tales of legendia

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
wa2 is a hell of a lot better than tales of legendia

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The translation of WA 2 is so terrible it probably improves the story. The story is so stupid and insane that everything breaking down into an incoherent mess is actually pretty fitting.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
WA2 has one of the best romantic scenes I've seen so far in an RPG and I'm glad I got to read the Japanese version without having to worry about how they translated it (though I can't see any way they could have failed to translate the scene correctly, it was pretty straightforward). I don't usually find myself caring about the main relationship in an RPG, but I cared about Ashley and his girl in WA2.

Ashley: Well, then, let's be stronger together, Marina! I will be strong
enough to survive until this is over. You, Marina, must be
strong enough to save me a place to come home to.

Marina: Can you do it? I can't become strong like you overnight, Ashley.

Ashley: Don't worry. You can do it. It's easy. Watch.
See, Marina? Just hold your hands apart like this.

[Ashley hugs Marina...]

Ashley: This is all the space I need to come home to. Just this tiny
world in your arms, Marina... This small space is the most
important in all Filgaia.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 22, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Getsuya posted:

WA2 has one of the best romantic scenes I've seen so far in an RPG and I'm glad I got to read the Japanese version without having to worry about how they translated it (though I can't see any way they could have failed to translate the scene correctly, it was pretty straightforward). I don't usually find myself caring about the main relationship in an RPG, but I cared about Ashley and his girl in WA2.

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about the incest subplot. I also don't remember anything about the relationship between Ashley and his girlfriend so that just shows you how screwed up the translation was.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the first disk of WA2 has an okay plot and then it doesn't matter in the second disk because there's so much cool optional poo poo you can do instead. Wanna help Liz and Ard get their space ship running and fight a cool mech.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PREPARE FOR WORD TORTURE

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about the incest subplot. I also don't remember anything about the relationship between Ashley and his girlfriend so that just shows you how screwed up the translation was.

Eh I quoted it above and it's still okay in English but I remember the Japanese being a lot smoother and more emotional.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
WA2 is really enjoyable not in spite of its translation, but because of. It's not a bad translation, it's an insane translation.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've been living under a rock for the last two months and only just got caught up on the new Fire Emblem games hullabaloo. I assume the ship has effectively sailed on getting FE:F Special Edition?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I've been living under a rock for the last two months and only just got caught up on the new Fire Emblem games hullabaloo. I assume the ship has effectively sailed on getting FE:F Special Edition?

It has sailed and sank unless you want to buy one for $150+ off Ebay or something

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Erg posted:

It has sailed and sank unless you want to buy one for $150+ off Ebay or something

Woo. Guess I'll wait til used copies of one or the other physical games show up locally.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

i'll probably give it a shot at some point, maybe after i play through final fantasy 7 and tales of legendia

It's good because if you're worried about random encounters like in the first game, you can cancel them at will in WA2 (except when you get ambushed).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I still remember the end of Disc 1 where the villain broadcasts his speech across the world and it's just a bunch of gibberish

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I still remember the end of Disc 1 where the villain broadcasts his speech across the world and it's just a bunch of gibberish

But who can intelligently refute my resolutions? This is a rite of passage to make the future ours.It is a "burial". Yes. It is a "burial" for a new "creation!"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Wild ARMs 1 and 2 had one of the worst typefaces I have ever seen in a game. 0 and 6 were nigh-indistinguishable unless you saw them next to each other. I still love the whole series to bits though, even 5.

LET'S TAKE A LITTLE LOOK-SEE :byodood:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Odessa was a p cool villainous organization.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also i bought valhalla knights 2 and it may be the most bafflingly oldschool poo poo i've seen in ages. it feels like a ps1 launch title

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Holy poo poo the translation for Dark Cloud 1 is a goddamn mess. Haven't played this game since launch and boy howdy.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Wow, I just checked out Wild ARMs 5 again and it is transparent that they are trying for a Vyse/Aika/Fina with the main three. Kind of hilarious.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Wow, I just checked out Wild ARMs 5 again and it is transparent that they are trying for a Vyse/Aika/Fina with the main three. Kind of hilarious.

i'm nowhere near playing wild arms 5 yet but i'll accept Sands of Arcadia if that's what it is

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
LET'S TAKE A LOOK AROUND LET'S TAKE A LOOKSIE LET'S TAKE A LOOK AROUND

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5wd-PWw1Q

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Does it do it well and is the game itself any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

also i bought valhalla knights 2 and it may be the most bafflingly oldschool poo poo i've seen in ages. it feels like a ps1 launch title

You realise you can't get refunds on PSN games right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does it do it well and is the game itself any good?

Not really and the gameplay is very good, fast and fun, but it comes down to how much you can tolerate Dean.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

You realise you can't get refunds on PSN games right?

ten bucks isnt that much dude

also i thought it might be good, it wasn't some ironic purchase

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not really and the gameplay is very good, fast and fun, but it comes down to how much you can tolerate Dean.

Dean is the best, the better question is how much you can stomach that piece of poo poo Chuck

Dean is the best because you can stack some insane abilities on him, like always guaranteeing his first strike in a battle/after a reload is a critical, along with 4x crit damage, and basically halve boss HP right from the outset of the fight

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Cool looking visual novel.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

WA5 is imo the best in the series gameplay-wise and the second worst story and character-wise. (It mostly comes down to personal taste which of WA4 and WA5 you think is the abomination, and I could not stand how hard WA4 beat you over the head with its themes.) It's a wacky shonen story, for better or for worse.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Was it 4 or 5 that had the total downer ending? Or was it both?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

4 had the downer middle and 5 takes place in the middle of 4, so it was probably 5.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

(It mostly comes down to personal taste which of WA4 and WA5 you think is the abomination, ) I
No it doesn't, it's 4.

Verranicus posted:

Was it 4 or 5 that had the total downer ending? Or was it both?

ChrisBTY posted:

4 had the downer middle and 5 takes place in the middle of 4, so it was probably 5.

This is both utter nonsense and a lie. 4 has nothing to do with 5, like outside of the hex system and the anniversary cameos from each game there is nothing linking those two games.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 22, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it always seemed to me that 5 is just viewed as being a pretty alright game, while 4 is the one people unanimously hate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

5 has issues but 4's themes and concepts are just so genuinely gross that 5 could be a complete disaster and I'd still like it more than 4.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
As someone who only played 1 and 2, I'd actually be curious about a short comparative breakdown or 4 and 5. What was so bad about them individually?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

As someone who only played 1 and 2, I'd actually be curious about a short comparative breakdown or 4 and 5. What was so bad about them individually?

4:

The core plot idea of 4 is, for good or ill, 'adults are loving terrible.' It takes this to kind of an absurd degree and the plot is just kind of a bunch of weird boring nonsense trying to play up this theme, to the point where 'teen pregnancy and then dying of cancer' is considered a semi-optimistic outcome. It introduces an interesting new combat system (though I think WA5 handled it better some people prefer 4) but largely meanders along.It has a guy voiced by Norio Wakamoto punch a missile though. That's the high point of the game. Look that up on Youtube and you've seen the only worthwhile part of the game.

5:

5 is just kind of half-baked. It has a similarly kind of thematically weird plot in that they try to do a weird plot involving predestination and so-on alongside what amounts to a mecha anime. It's got a lot of design decisions that could have used more polish and the cast has some genuine assholes but mostly it's just kind of meh. It's also the anniversary game so it has a bunch of injokes and cameos. It doesn't do anything hugely wrong (except maybe the rear end in a top hat cast members) but it doesn't do anything very great either. The ending is really weird and genuinely lovely for one of the cast members in a way that can sour the game pretty heavily even though it's super-foreshadowed.

Honestly both would just be kind of mid-tier JRPGs if not for 4's plot. Both have some pretty cool moments bookended by some weak moments and the Hex-based combat system is honestly fairly fun.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WA4 was written by Tomino????