Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It'll probably level out soon but they seem to still be losing subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So wait what did they do?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Turtlicious posted:

They trademarked a stupid gimmick and setup, there was a fan backlash, and they probably lost a small chuck of money/fandom by trying to monopolize reaction videos.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

The "X Reacts to X" people tried to trademark the entire concept of "X Reacts to X" videos so they could make more money licensing the concept out to other YouTubers and shutting down competitors. They received a gigantic backlash and lost hundreds of thousands of subscribers (admittedly not many in the long run, as they have over 13 million or something) and quickly decided against it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'd laugh my rear end off if somebody else came along and trademarked "Reacts" videos and super maliciously started taking down all Reacts videos/channels.

Aside from them shutting down response videos to their announcements did they try during this period to take down any existing react videos?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golden Goat posted:

I'd laugh my rear end off if somebody else came along and trademarked "Reacts" videos and super maliciously started taking down all Reacts videos/channels.

Aside from them shutting down response videos to their announcements did they try during this period to take down any existing react videos?

They posted an "apology" on their website and the third? point was about them rescinding copyright claims they made on reaction videos. Not sure if they meant they already did or were simply planning it, but the topic was definitely mentioned.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

There's a "TheFineBros lose subscribers" livestream if you're into watching numbers steadily tick down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH0qahqv5YM

ReturnOfFable posted:

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/thefinebros

Roughly 280k lost subscribers since the announcement Thursday.

It looks like they're down by 300K now, or just over 2% off their peak sub count. I wonder how many people are doing reaction videos to that stream to rub it in their faces even more? :allears:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Apparently a lot of their money comes from sponsorship deals; someone mentioned in the GBS thread about this that their most recent sponsored video with Netflix had come out and gotten a bunch of thumbs down. Their speculation was that the sponsors freaked out on them.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0CVHokiiSE

An interesting watch. If you're looking for a quick recap of the highlights of what all happened.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I just noticed one of The Fine Bros. shows was named "Opinions". As in, people literally giving their opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCRHYlyT3sA

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

I just noticed one of The Fine Bros. shows was named "Opinions". As in, people literally giving their opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCRHYlyT3sA

Not if you don't pay them a loving royalty you don't!

Oh...wait.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

What would even cause someone to make this face when talking about what their favorite video game is

edit: i'm not clicking the video, someone braver than me tell me

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CJacobs posted:

What would even cause someone to make this face when talking about what their favorite video game is

She's actually dead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Holgie, for the past 8 years, has been role playing Civilian On The Battlefield with the US Marine Corps. She was "stationed" in the desert, wearing burkas, speaking the language without breaking role, to train the army. She finds "traditional" games (board, card, video) boring.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Presented without comment:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Jsor posted:

I hate you for making me aware of this.

at least there's this http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/02/10/the-first-episode-of-scare-pewdiepie-is-free-online-and-its-terrible/#6e3151d82c73

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jsor posted:

Is there an episode where they just like, legit kidnap him without telling him it's an episode? I think that would help with the scaring.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

I have so much I want to say about this, but instead I will just wait for the sun to come back up so I can stare at it until I blind myself.

Edit: OK I do want to ask if anyone else watched/is watching the free episode, and if so, did anyone else IMMEDIATELY recognize the guy from The Guild as the security guy.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 11, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jsor posted:

I'm not gonna watch it so I won't know either way until someone talks about it, but how is this gonna turn out? All I can see is like two things.

1: He screams and flails when someone nearby approaches with a mild cough

2: He doesn't scream and flail at everything and blows his whole character so what's the point anymore

It just seems like a bad time whichever way.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 11, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there an episode where they just like, legit kidnap him without telling him it's an episode? I think that would help with the scaring.

Welcome to Review with Felix Kjellberg!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
This article doesn't say anything beyond "There's an episode you can watch. I didn't like it. You might.", so I decided to skim through the video that was there, because I was interested to see what a high-production PDP video would look like.
I don't get it. I don't think I even get the concept. It's like a prank show, except the guy knows it's all fake. It has, like, 2 challenges where he needs to find the key that's just there and take night vision goggles surrounded by 6 bugs. They might've been going for video-game based series with improv, but it's not like someone other than PDP (in his suit full of cameras) appears for more than 2 seconds. I don't even get what I'm supposed to think of this!
And it's not like they just dump him in the woods somewhere, he's in a crowded hospital full of "zombies" waving hands at him, while he screams like they can actually hurt him. I mean, maybe I missed something, but this just looked like a hell of a mess.
If you need his brand so badly, why not just hire him as a host and have unassuming people be scared of crazy situations with zombies and poo poo? I would actually watch that!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would watch Scare Tactics if Pewdiepie was the host. Even he is better than Tracy Morgan.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vookatos posted:

This article doesn't say anything beyond "There's an episode you can watch. I didn't like it. You might.", so I decided to skim through the video that was there, because I was interested to see what a high-production PDP video would look like.
I don't get it. I don't think I even get the concept. It's like a prank show, except the guy knows it's all fake. It has, like, 2 challenges where he needs to find the key that's just there and take night vision goggles surrounded by 6 bugs. They might've been going for video-game based series with improv, but it's not like someone other than PDP (in his suit full of cameras) appears for more than 2 seconds. I don't even get what I'm supposed to think of this!
And it's not like they just dump him in the woods somewhere, he's in a crowded hospital full of "zombies" waving hands at him, while he screams like they can actually hurt him. I mean, maybe I missed something, but this just looked like a hell of a mess.
If you need his brand so badly, why not just hire him as a host and have unassuming people be scared of crazy situations with zombies and poo poo? I would actually watch that!

That kind of stuff is even fun for certain people (like me) to go through. It's like a neat form of immersive theatre when done really well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I am not interested in watching PDP on Redtube tyvm.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I am not interested in watching PDP on Redtube tyvm.

Skinny White Boy Gripped By Tall Slender Man

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Jsor posted:

Ripping off the Fred movie, "Pewdie, your're under a bed!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Are there any quality looks at The Witness out there and done yet? Supergreatfriend's got a good thing going but he's only just begun. Anything like that or FrozenTreasure's look at Fez that's a bit further along?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

DoctorWhat posted:

Anything like that or FrozenTreasure's look at Fez that's a bit further along?
It might take the internet a year or so to mine every possible nugget of stuff out of it before we get to that sort of level.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Paul.Power posted:

It might take the internet a year or so to mine every possible nugget of stuff out of it before we get to that sort of level.

Fez took less than a month; I think you underestimate just how fast The Internet™ tears things apart.

Also I'm definitely not gonna do The Witness, unless, like Fez, I end up coming back to it in two years and liking it way more than I do right now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

frozentreasure posted:

Fez took less than a month; I think you underestimate just how fast The Internet™ tears things apart.

Also I'm definitely not gonna do The Witness, unless, like Fez, I end up coming back to it in two years and liking it way more than I do right now.

Wasn't asking you to!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know where else to ask this, but since is the defacto Youtube feature thread, does anyone know why they took away the "All Comments" button/page?
I know some will say Youtube comments suck and why would you want to read them and so on, but that honestly used to be a nice way to see feedback.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

HGH posted:

I don't know where else to ask this, but since is the defacto Youtube feature thread, does anyone know why they took away the "All Comments" button/page?
I know some will say Youtube comments suck and why would you want to read them and so on, but that honestly used to be a nice way to see feedback.

???

or am I just misunderstanding you? There doesn't seem to be an actual 'page' as such but you can keep loading more comments until the cows come home if you really, desperately want to delve into that cesspool.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There used to be an entire separate page you could get to by clicking on the comments button, it displayed them all chronologically without using the Show More button. It was just kinda convenient is all.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
It also used to separate out replies to comments by the author of the video, which was useful for getting to some of the more meaningful discussions and Q&A that the video raises. I get the feeling that not a lot of LPers really engage with the comments anymore, though (and can't blame them).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hey does anyone know why they implemented this change/feature that makes YouTube more annoying to use? It's like Google's filled with a bunch of dumb shitheads or something.

Wait I just answered my own question.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DoctorWhat posted:

Are there any quality looks at The Witness out there and done yet? Supergreatfriend's got a good thing going but he's only just begun. Anything like that or FrozenTreasure's look at Fez that's a bit further along?

There's a thread here but this being the Outside SA Thread I like this guy's one. As with many takes on this game, prepare to be amazed at his unique distribution of arcane poo poo he picks up immediately versus mundane poo poo that stumps him for ages. Standard Witness LP warning applies: do not watch if you ever intend to play the game yourself.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Day9 also did a playthrough of the Witness and he's usually a pretty entertaining guy.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Ada posted:

Day9 also did a playthrough of the Witness and he's usually a pretty entertaining guy.

While I enjoyed his LP, some might not be able to stand the intermittent (purposefully) awful singing interspersed through some episodes. He's also very good at elucidating his thought process with each new puzzle, though not perfect.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just thought I'd bump this thread up with a bit of news.

Digital Homicide is now suing Jim Sterling for $10million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jamesman posted:

Just thought I'd bump this thread up with a bit of news.

Digital Homicide is now suing Jim Sterling for $10million.

Well, I have to give it to DH, they have more balls then anyone credited them for. Now if only they could put that effort into being a respectable developer.

• Locked thread