Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It actually makes the Secret Service kinda funny. Everyone knows them as guys in black suits and sunglasses who scowl while protecting the President, but in reality they're a bunch of anti-counterfeiting guys who had to help every other federal agency do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

iRend posted:

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/3742933/ballarat-bus-crashes-into-melbourne-bridge-audio/?cs=61

Oops! This is a bit different from the old 7'10" bridge. Looks like he was off by a clear 2 feet.

(e: nobody died)

the article posted:

“We are out to protect our brand and make sure we don’t tarnish our brand,” Mr Baird said
It's ok, if they just polish up the Gold Bus and remove the tarnish they'll increase the value.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Another fun fact/horrible little irony: the legislation to create the Secret Service came onto Lincoln's desk on the same night he thought he'd have a relaxing time at Ford's Theater.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Putting off some paperwork to see a show is nothing to lose your head over.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Regalingualius posted:

Another fun fact/horrible little irony: the legislation to create the Secret Service came onto Lincoln's desk on the same night he thought he'd have a relaxing time at Ford's Theater.

He was going to get back to reviewing it when he went to work the following day

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Testekill posted:

He was going to get back to reviewing it when he went to work the following day

Saves him some extra work. Pretty efficient way of dealing with it imho.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Slightly out of the norm for this thread but I think you'll enjoy it.

Story about the creator of the E.T. Atari game turns out he became a psychologist for nerds after he quit the industry.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The power source of the future!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Enourmo posted:

Why does the President's security detail care about money counterfeiting? Surely that would fall under the purview of the Department of the Treasury that prints legal currency, or perhaps the FBI who are in charge of federal crimes?

goddamn obama sticking his fingers in everything

Secret Service was founded about 50 years before the FBI, 4th oldest US federal LEOs. Before them it was the Postal Service inspectors, US Marshals (who handled enforcement side the of federal courts), and Parks Police in order of establishment.

They also were officially in the Treasury Dept. up until the establishment of DHS after 9/11 and were transferred in.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AgentF posted:

The power source of the future!

P-p-p-puppy Power!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

And I specifically addressed this point in the post you quoted and replied to. :shrug:

:shrug: I saw it in there, but it seemed to me as if the throwaway assertion was that it only matters if a researcher actually possesses the object.

Either way, have a good day friend.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, objects don't "have history", history is not a property of matter. Some people just arbitrarily decide that a thing is worth more money because it's old. Genuine old things are not inherently more valuable than identical reproductions, unless you mean to historians who can learn something from them. But most things that are valuable because they're old are not useful for learning anything, they're just old. Like, no one's upset because that coin could have been studied to learn something about the past, it was just an old coin. You could make a new one and it would be just as good (except in the minds of people who attach arbitrary value to old things).

There aren't enough :goonsay: in the world to accurately mock this post.

Value isn't an element on the periodic table that exists in certain quantities in certain objects. It's not a physical property that can be ascribed to something. It's what people are willing to pay for a thing. If you're really too thick to see how people are willing to pay more for a genuine old coin than a reproduction, you lack a fundamental understanding of how human beings think and feel.

I once visited the caves of lascaux. They reproduced the paintings in a seperate cave for tourists to visit, so the original ones wouldn't be damaged. I would've never been able to tell the difference if they hadn't told me, but it somehow made the things I was looking just a little less inspiring, because I knew it was just some French assholes who painted them instead of a dude 15000 years ago even though I knew the originals look exactly like the ones I was looking at. This is the same thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

There aren't enough :goonsay: in the world to accurately mock this post.

Value isn't an element on the periodic table that exists in certain quantities in certain objects. It's not a physical property that can be ascribed to something. It's what people are willing to pay for a thing. If you're really too thick to see how people are willing to pay more for a genuine old coin than a reproduction, you lack a fundamental understanding of how human beings think and feel.

I once visited the caves of lascaux. They reproduced the paintings in a seperate cave for tourists to visit, so the original ones wouldn't be damaged. I would've never been able to tell the difference if they hadn't told me, but it somehow made the things I was looking just a little less inspiring, because I knew it was just some French assholes who painted them instead of a dude 15000 years ago even though I knew the originals look exactly like the ones I was looking at. This is the same thing.

I felt the same thing at the D.C. Holocaust museum. There's a lot of stuff there that's reproductions of items in private collections or on display at other Holocaust museums. It should't make a difference if it's real or a reproduction, but it loses a lot of its emotional weight. To the extent that looking at a photo of the real thing means more than seeing a perfect recreation in person.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

There is, or was, a poet. His name was Lallafa, and he wrote what are widely regarded throughout the Galaxy as being the finest poems in existence, the Songs of the Long Land.

They are/were unspeakably wonderful. That is to say, you couldn't speak very much of them at once without being so overcome with emotion, truth and a sense of wholeness and oneness of things that you wouldn't pretty soon need a brisk walk round the block, possibly pausing at a bar on the way back for a quick glass of perspective and soda. They were that good.

Lallafa had lived in the forests of the Long Lands of Effa. He lived there, and he wrote his poems there. He wrote them on pages made of dried habra leaves, without the benefit of education or correcting fluid. He wrote about the light in the forest and what he thought about that. He wrote about the darkness in the forest, and what he thought about that. He wrote about the girl who had left him and precisely what he thought about that.

Long after his death his poems were found and wondered over. News of them spread like morning sunlight. For centuries they illuminated and watered the lives of many people whose lives might otherwise have been darker and drier.

Then, shortly after the invention of time travel, some major correcting fluid manufacturers wondered whether his poems might have been better still if he had had access to some high-quality correcting fluid, and whether he might be persuaded to say a few words on that effect.

They travelled the time waves, they found him, they explained the situation - with some difficulty - to him, and did indeed persuade him. In fact they persuaded him to such an effect that he became extremely rich at their hands, and the girl about whom he was otherwise destined to write which such precision never got around to leaving him, and in fact they moved out of the forest to a rather nice pad in town and he frequently commuted to the future to do chat shows, on which he sparkled wittily.

He never got around to writing the poems, of course, which was a problem, but an easily solved one. The manufacturers of correcting fluid simply packed him off for a week somewhere with a copy of a later edition of his book and a stack of dried habra leaves to copy them out on to, making the odd deliberate mistake and correction on the way.

Many people now say that the poems are suddenly worthless. Others argue that they are exactly the same as they always were, so what's changed? The first people say that that isn't the point. They aren't quite sure what the point is, but they are quite sure that that isn't it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Alaois posted:

it's astounding to me that Tiggum hasn't even successfully passed the Turing Test yet and somehow people still argue with him

Seriously, he is an interesting ...thing that posts on our forums.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, objects don't "have history", history is not a property of matter. Some people just arbitrarily decide that a thing is worth more money because it's old. Genuine old things are not inherently more valuable than identical reproductions, unless you mean to historians who can learn something from them. But most things that are valuable because they're old are not useful for learning anything, they're just old. Like, no one's upset because that coin could have been studied to learn something about the past, it was just an old coin. You could make a new one and it would be just as good (except in the minds of people who attach arbitrary value to old things).

Your autism is showing.

Papa John found bought back his old pizza delivery Camaro for $250k, well above market value for a Camaro of that year. After he bought it back for the exorbitant sum, it was stolen from a car show event in Detroit. Other Camaros of that year cost far less, but that one had history, and that history was assigned a monetary value, and people craved it.

The original copies of the US Constitution are kept hermetically sealed in glass and protected from light and temperature and moisture, and the USA spends extra money to keep that piece of history in good condition. The USA reserves presentation and storage space for this object they consider sacred. The Articles of Confederation, which preceded the Constitution, was our governing document for a decade, is older, but is not considered to have the history that the Constitution has. If we proposed to spend the money and reserve the space for the Articles of Confederation like we do the Constitution, and put it to vote, people would not vote to spend the time, money, effort and space to honor the older document.

Things can have increased value independent of age, and this value is due to their uniqueness in history to neurotypical humans.

Sorry for perpetuating the history derail

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Secret Service was founded about 50 years before the FBI, 4th oldest US federal LEOs. Before them it was the Postal Service inspectors, US Marshals (who handled enforcement side the of federal courts), and Parks Police in order of establishment.

They also were officially in the Treasury Dept. up until the establishment of DHS after 9/11 and were transferred in.

The USCG has the parks police beat by a year.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Remember Talia, the starving Yelp girl from the other day? This whole thing is escalating into a wonderful slapfight.

Her detractors have dug up some of her recent tweets that don't seem quite consistent with starving to death on rice:

Another detractor has written an open letter to her (consisting mostly of "Bootstraps!" arguments). Opinion pieces are starting to appear on the same theme.

Meanwhile, she seems to have gotten word from one of her ex-coworkers that the tide of opinion among Yelp customers is solidly on her side:

Perhaps biggest of all, one of her supporters has set up a GoFundMe for her. The comments on the GoFundMe are stuffed full of people telling her what an entitled little poo poo she is... and now they're getting extra indignant about how much money she's raked in so far:

I don't care whose side you're on, this is getting fun. :munch:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elendil004 posted:

The USCG has the parks police beat by a year.

I'll throw in non-uniformed service if that makes you happy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Powered Descent posted:

Remember Talia, the starving Yelp girl from the other day? This whole thing is escalating into a wonderful slapfight.

It doesn't detract from the main point, but people keep calling those "steaks" as if it's some fancy meal, when it says right there next to the pic it was a chuck roast which is very cheap (relative to steak). The mid/top-shelf liquor and wine are definitely luxuries though and she deserves all the criticism she is getting for those. I guess she's getting a couple grand out of this from gullible internet people but i would think most peoples' dignity/reputation is worth a lot more than that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Murphy Brownback posted:

It doesn't detract from the main point, but people keep calling those "steaks" as if it's some fancy meal, when it says right there next to the pic it was a chuck roast which is very cheap (relative to steak). The mid/top-shelf liquor and wine are definitely luxuries though and she deserves all the criticism she is getting for those. I guess she's getting a couple grand out of this from gullible internet people but i would think most peoples' dignity/reputation is worth a lot more than that.

That this is a Yelp employee caught up in a reputation-damaging drama including unverifiable rumours and heresay is like five levels of :ironicat:

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
College educated white girls who move to san fransisco for customer service work deserve the worst possible interpretation of their actions and intents.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope I can save up enough to buy a $24 bottle of bourbon some day

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Azhais posted:

I hope I can save up enough to buy a $24 bottle of bourbon some day

You better check your privilege bro

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
For people who don't understand the coin schad, that coin collector made a very similar mistake to that of a monk that erased the only surviving copy of Archimedes' "The Method" so that he could print a book of prayers on it, because he didn't understand the significance of a text that outlined the heart of calculus thousands of years before Newton and Leibniz came along. But lol stupid nerds with their historical preservation standards

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/prayer-archimedes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

speshl guy posted:

For people who don't understand the coin schad, that coin collector made a very similar mistake to that of a monk that erased the only surviving copy of Archimedes' "The Method" so that he could print a book of prayers on it, because he didn't understand the significance of a text that outlined the heart of calculus thousands of years before Newton and Leibniz came along. But lol stupid nerds with their historical preservation standards

Yes, a guy devaluing a coin that would have been in a rich man's collection is exactly the same situation.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

"I'll be safe up here."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FAROOQ posted:

College educated white girls who move to san fransisco for customer service work deserve the worst possible interpretation of their actions and intents.

Personally I find something to dislike on both sides.

Strictly speaking, Talia's detractors are right -- she waltzed right into an obviously-impossible situation and was shocked when it somehow didn't work out. But they're being the screechiest bunch of assholes I've seen in a long time (and I follow politics), and they're acting like they never made a naive mistake when they were fresh out of college.

As for Talia herself, it sucks that she landed in that hard-to-get-out-of situation, and I actually hope her newfound Internet fame leads her to something better. But at the same time, I can only laugh at how quickly she glossed over the fact that her evil greedy CEO was giving her free health insurance as a job benefit, and how surprised she was that the company might want her to do the job they actually hired her for (for like a whole YEAR!) before they promote her to her dream job. And I still don't know what she wanted the CEO to actually DO about any of this. Her only real complaint against the company seemed to be "your office is in an expensive city".

So yeah, I don't really have a dog in this race, I'm just enjoying the slapfight. v:shobon:v

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The locations of anicent trees are also kept secret because gov./park/wild life managers dont want dumb people loving around with them.

Or "smart" people like that one grad student.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

speshl guy posted:

Neat! But I don't like the article's assertion that it was because the monk scribe "didn't understand the significance" or whatever that it was overcopied. That sounds like a reddit atheism "The Chart"-style strawman. Medieval libraries were aggressively protective of their texts, and most of what we still possess of Greek and Latin texts owes to that diligence. The person who did the erasure likely did so because there at the time had been another copy of the book laying around, or the scribe was at least under that impression....

Scraping and overwriting was relatively commonplace because parchment is expensive as gently caress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes_Palimpsest
http://archimedespalimpsest.org/about/

This is a really interesting topic. It seems that the erasure happened in Jerusalem, which is where the book. I'm really disappointed that none of these sites I'm finding gives more information on the overwritten "liturgical" text. The overwritten text is in Byzantine Greek, which means that the scribe (almost) certainly could have read the source text, and it's likely that the scribe would understand its significance, as Archimedes was studied in Constantinople... the Euchologion on top is (according to that really bad site linked above) also of interest and significance, but I can't find anything clarifying its contents in anything more specific than "Byzantine religious text" and "Church of Jerusalem", which isn't enough to make me figure out why the scribes would have been so desperate for parchment as to slice, scrape, and reassemble a folio codex from no fewer than seven Byzantine textbooks....

Ok this is a rabbit hole for me. I'll just stop and say that literally everything about this book is why nobody should ever restore anything. In 1900 nobody dreamed that those old pages could once again reveal their hidden Greek texts.

kazil posted:

Yes, a guy devaluing a coin that would have been in a rich man's collection is exactly the same situation.

The point is that at one point that codex would have been called "A mouldy old religious book that would just been in some rich man's collection."

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Think I can get people to give me enough money for an air-ride setup and new engine for my 58 bug? I mean I totally knew it was going to be expensive to rebuild the car when I pulled it out of the dude's field, but I just can't manage to get the money myself.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Powered Descent posted:

But they're being the screechiest bunch of assholes I've seen in a long time (and I follow politics), and they're acting like they never made a naive mistake when they were fresh out of college.

As for Talia herself, it sucks that she landed in that hard-to-get-out-of situation, and I actually hope her newfound Internet fame leads her to something better.

Some people making mistakes out of college own up to them and take ownership of their life instead of trying to shift blame and assblast the CEO of their company publicly on the internet v:shobon:v

And I hope her dumb publicity stunt tirade follows her around and haunts her employment prospects. Airing out your grievances on the internet instead of dealing with them internally should probably be a last resort, especially with a company that relies on social media and public image. Maybe she should have written the letter more professionally and sent it directly to the CEO, and if they respond by firing her she can go all out with her whiny e/n rant.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu0Hya7TNoo

http://i.imgur.com/GXhhPDq.gifv

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Some people making mistakes out of college own up to them and take ownership of their life instead of trying to shift blame and assblast the CEO of their company publicly on the internet v:shobon:v

And I hope her dumb publicity stunt tirade follows her around and haunts her employment prospects. Airing out your grievances on the internet instead of dealing with them internally should probably be a last resort, especially with a company that relies on social media and public image. Maybe she should have written the letter more professionally and sent it directly to the CEO, and if they respond by firing her she can go all out with her whiny e/n rant.

Oh it will. Nothing dies on the internet. Check out the Taco Bell rear end in a top hat. He's pretty much blackballed everywhere now.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

The locations of anicent trees are also kept secret because gov./park/wild life managers dont want dumb people loving around with them.

Or "smart" people like that one grad student.

You must explain this immediately.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Oh it will. Nothing dies on the internet. Check out the Taco Bell rear end in a top hat. He's pretty much blackballed everywhere now.

I haven't found anything new on his case since he decided to sue the driver who recorded him being a gigantic shitwizard about a month ago, but the general consensus seemed to be "he's hosed, and going to fail" with his lawsuit and his life in general now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

im pooping! posted:

You must explain this immediately.

I imagine they're referring to this:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-one-man-accidentally-killed-the-oldest-tree-ever-125764872/?no-ist

quote:

Basically, Currey got his tree corer stuck in the tree. So stuck that it wouldn’t come out. An unwitting park ranger helped him by cutting the tree down, to remove the instrument, and later Currey began to count the rings. Eventually, he realized that the tree he had just felled was almost 5,000 years old – the oldest tree ever recorded.