Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So what does the message about Pakellas gathering the extra energy when you get MP rewards at full actually do, if anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
He sometimes gifts you potions of magic when you save up enough

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
He's banking the amount that he would have restored if you'd been below max, and when you hit twenty-ish, he'll send you a potion of magic.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

LordSloth posted:

I have no objection to the removal of evocable teleportation from the ring of teleportation, but I feel the current implementation fails the "no-brainer" check. What redeeming value does it have with *tele not just being random teleportation, but random teleportation to an enemy?

If there's a redeeming value to it, I'm not creative enough to figure it out.

Before the change, on characters that need a lot of experience (low-aptitude casters. I'm an octopode fan, don't judge me!) I found myself dragging Ironbrand Convokers around to vacuum up wandering enemies from cleared floors in order to get slightly more XP at significantly lower risk, compared to diving into an unexplored area...

Post-change *tele rings letting you hunt down every last mob actually makes them more useful for corner-case tedious optimal strategies now.

IronicDongz posted:

This might be a joke but it'd be neat. Singularity form would actually solve all the issues with singularity's LoS fuckery/keeping enemies away from you too easily.
Yeah, that was the idea. Actually Pretty Good in addition to being Fun gravity crushing implosion time. Combine with Tornado for ultimate hyperblender. (Note that this would require as much XP investment as Glaciate+Firestorm+Shatter combo, but with more spinning)

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 21, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pallekas should let you combine wands to recharge them.

And octopodes should be able to wear capes.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

BigFactory posted:

And octopodes felids should be able to wear capes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Seriously. Octopodes and felids should be able to wear capes, large races should not be able to wear rings. What kind of rings are we talking about here? How does a troll put on a ring?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

BigFactory posted:

Seriously. Octopodes and felids should be able to wear capes, large races should not be able to wear rings. What kind of rings are we talking about here? How does a troll put on a ring?

Whittles down the finger, slides it on, lets the flesh regenerate over it.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

BigFactory posted:

FR: Large races wear rings as nose rings, one on each nostril.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

BigFactory posted:

Hypothesis: these rings may be, in some way, magic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

Hypothesis: these rings may be, in some way, magic.

Let octopodes wear capes!

And magic or not, the idea of a troll daintily picking up a ring with big claws is funny.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BigFactory posted:

on its claws

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Real life octopi can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter so theoretically they can wear rings anywhere they want.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
FR: let Octopodes wear infinite rings.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

FR: let Octopodes wear infinite rings.

Well, by infinite it would be 52.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
This results in greater and greater background contamination until you're basically exploding every turn from the magical buildup. :v:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

amuayse posted:

Real life octopi can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter so theoretically they can wear rings anywhere they want.

An Octopode in the shape of a tube made of protection rings might have thousands of ac but I'm not sure how it's supposed to constrict anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I maintain that felids should get to wear two pairs of boots.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

BigFactory posted:

Pallekas should let you combine wands to recharge them.

Yeah this would be nice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I maintain that felids should get to wear two pairs of boots.

Puss in boots says they need boots + cape + hat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Honestly I don't really understand how that hasn't happened, I doubt it would make a huge difference in felid power levels to have a few more AC+maybe one or two decent egos if you're lucky.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Add an actual cape item, which is to cloaks as hats are to helmets. Meaning it fits on actually every race, but is rarer and I guess doesn't have the good egos like invisibility or something?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Capes: Can have egos and be enchanted to +2, but gives -1 EV to represent the enemies burning desire to hit you for dressing like an idiot.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually it should make intelligent humanoid enemies have -1 tohit against you, because you're clearly some kind of noble and how dare a plebe strike his betters.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Add an actual cape item, which is to cloaks as hats are to helmets. Meaning it fits on actually every race, but is rarer and I guess doesn't have the good egos like invisibility or something?

Aren't cloaks to armour as hats are to helmets?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Some of the helmet tiles would look lovely with a wizard hat pulled over the top.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unimpressed posted:

Aren't cloaks to armour as hats are to helmets?
No, not really. They're in their own slot which nothing else shares, so you always wear them unless you're early enough to not have one. Are you thinking of robes?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 22, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Formicids should get two pairs of gloves.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Humans should be able to wear 10 rings.

But first add a charisma stat so you can give them a penalty for being extremely tacky.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion
Hello, I am bad at Crawl. This is my character: http://pastebin.com/J6jqpWJZ. I am currently in Shoals but I hate and fear the wide open spaces and water everywhere.

All advice is welcome, as I have very little clue about character builds, god choices, area progression and changes in the newer versions.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

You have quite a lot of hexes and evocations, neither of which is especially important to you in comparison to your core skills as a melee character. Evo is really not worth dumping a ton into unless you have some really good rods, and I wouldn't start pumping it until your core skills are better than they are now. That and switching from polearms to staves has left you relatively fragile, so you'll have to be careful in shoals. That said, you should be okay if you play carefully.

-Things to do -- train fighting and armor and dodging! You really need more in all of those skills.

-Wish for a lajatang really hard. Hopefully Okawaru will give you one. That quarterstaff is going to start running out of steam sooner or later.

-Try to leverage your magic training more. What books do you have? Silence would be golden for you, since it should be fairly accessible with your skill investment. Other very good hexes for melee characters include summon mana vipers and metabolic englaciation, though I wouldn't really go for the latter since ice magic won't get you much and would require spreading yourself quite thin.

-Cover your fire vulnerability. It's not a huge deal in Shoals, buy you do not want to run around in vaults or depths with an elemental vulnerability. That plate is really nice, and the amulet gives you the strength to cast in it, but two sources of rF- is going to be really hard to swing in the in mid-late game.

-Consider clearing D:15 before shoals if you're having a tough time there. If you have Silence somewhere, do elf next, but carefully. It will be easy if you're cautious, but you'll explode instantly if you get jumped by a group of top-tier elves without silence available and they get lucky rolls, so go slow and always run away if in doubt. Then do vaults to 4, depths to 5, then vaults 5 or slime, depending on your preference.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 22, 2016

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You have quite a lot of hexes and evocations, neither of which is especially important to you in comparison to your core skills as a melee character. Evo is really not worth dumping a ton into unless you have some really good rods, and I wouldn't start pumping it until your core skills are better than they are now. That and switching from polearms to staves has left you relatively fragile, so you'll have to be careful in shoals. That said, you should be okay if you play carefully.

-Things to do -- train fighting and armor and dodging! You really need more in all of those skills.

-Wish for a lajatang really hard. Hopefully Okawaru will give you one. That quarterstaff is going to start running out of steam sooner or later.

-Try to leverage your magic training more. What books do you have? Silence would be golden for you, since it should be fairly accessible with your skill investment. Other very good hexes for melee characters include summon mana vipers and metabolic englaciation, though I wouldn't really go for the latter since ice magic won't get you much and would require spreading yourself quite thin.

-Cover your fire vulnerability. It's not a huge deal in Shoals, buy you do not want to run around in vaults or depths with an elemental vulnerability. That plate is really nice, and the amulet gives you the strength to cast in it, but two sources of rF- is going to be really hard to swing in the in mid-late game.

-Consider clearing D:15 before shoals if you're having a tough time there. If you have Silence somewhere, do elf next, but carefully. It will be easy if you're cautious, but you'll explode instantly if you get jumped by a group of top-tier elves without silence available and they get lucky rolls, so go slow and always run away if in doubt. Then do vaults to 4, depths to 5, then vaults 5 or slime, depending on your preference.

Thanks for for the tips!

I think I've actually found books with both silence and ME in them earlier. I'll at least get silence then. And I think I've also dropped some rings of fire and protection from fire, because I can't convince myself to switch out from the artifact rings (or the plate/amulet).

Will switch to training melee skills instead right away.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
One more option, a staff of air or cold. Lajatangs are still preferable because resistances, but your high evo alone should let them trigger half the time, with the elemental skill bringing them up further.

Though with your character I would still be aiming for a lajatang from okawaru, Agnes, or the hall of blades as suggested above.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 22, 2016

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

FR: Sebi, god of restarts.
**regenerate the floor of the dungeon you are on, including all enemy locations, placing you at one of the down stairs
**** all seen items (on all floors) and items in your inventory reroll as if being generated for the first time
****** your race is rerolled to a random race, instantly granting you all abilities relevant to your level and removing ones from the old race (this lets you pick new stat choices). Your exp is still in the same skills however, and new attribute levels will apply.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

FR: implement all of those abilities, but as rare Xom actions

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FireSight posted:

FR: Sebi, god of restarts.
**regenerate the floor of the dungeon you are on, including all enemy locations, placing you at one of the down stairs
**** all seen items (on all floors) and items in your inventory reroll as if being generated for the first time
****** your race is rerolled to a random race, instantly granting you all abilities relevant to your level and removing ones from the old race (this lets you pick new stat choices). Your exp is still in the same skills however, and new attribute levels will apply.

The six-star should give you a random new god too.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

FR: implement all of those abilities, but as rare Xom actions

That would encourage MuCK scumming even more than usual because random species can only make you better.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Nah, Mummies can't me mutated into an entirely new species so they just rot all to hell instead (Xom thinks this is hilarious).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
When worshipping Gozag goes bad:

https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Piginabag

(Warning, contains an F-bomb spelled out in shops.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Araganzar posted:

When worshipping Gozag goes bad:

https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Piginabag

(Warning, contains an F-bomb spelled out in shops.)

Jesus Christ.

• Locked thread