Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

TeeMerk posted:

I am a dirty blue and will wear it with shame until the servers shut down.

The game was really promising and a lot of fun back in Beta when the Founders packs were available. There's nothing shameful about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Did you just buy $50 worth of MC? I'm wondering if they got a digit wrong on the Valentine's Sale.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Olesh posted:

Did you just buy $50 worth of MC? I'm wondering if they got a digit wrong on the Valentine's Sale.

I am thinking about buying this package, seems like a fair deal.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 22, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I also like cool mechs

Raged fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 22, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I need insider information on the next sale.

A) when will it be
and more importantly
B) will it have timberwolves.

Im itching to buy one, but as usual dont want to see them 30% off the next day. Especially since theyre 14mil upwards.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I stopped shooting robots around the time Ghost Heat was new. Lately I'm feeling the need to shoot robots again.

Game any good now?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
thinking about cool mechs

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 22, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fat Samurai posted:

I stopped shooting robots around the time Ghost Heat was new. Lately I'm feeling the need to shoot robots again.

Game any good now?

It's ok

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Honestly if you want any chance to keep it I would delete that post and hopefully any one else's.

Raged fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 22, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I need insider information on the next sale.

A) when will it be
and more importantly
B) will it have timberwolves.

Im itching to buy one, but as usual dont want to see them 30% off the next day. Especially since theyre 14mil upwards.

Don't know, but they were in the last but one sale so I wouldn't expect them to go on again immediately.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Hey poptarts, since I've seen your a fan: whats the most dangerous vuild I can make for the ECM spider?

I prefer the -5K over the -5D, but I'm pretty much insane.

"Standard" meta-build is Medium Pulse Lasers with reduced (or no) armor on the left arm.

I'm not sure I agree with stripping the left arm armor, though. Spider arms are spindly little twigs so they don't make for great shields, but Spider hit registration can be really funky so why sacrifice that early on the side that carries your ECM? Especially on the Spider with the worst structure quirks?

I personally prefer running a Large Pulse Laser build. The Spider -5D's quirks are relatively tame (10% energy cooldown and range, -10% energy heat) compared to the -5V (30% energy cooldown, 10% range, -30% heat) or the -5K (50% energy cooldown, -25% laser duration, 20% machine gun ROF) but even being the 'worst' of the lot in terms of quirks and extra structure it's still half decent, especially if you already own a Large Pulse Laser Cooldown module (and if you don't but find you like Spiders, I strongly recommend buying one for the Spider -5K. 50% cooldown + 12.5% cooldown + 5% cooldown is roughly like having 3 Large Pulse Lasers on chainfire).

I've seen a good case made for running 1 large laser and 2 medium lasers as well, I just don't personally like sticking weapons in the Spider's arms. The nice thing about the Spider -5D is that it shares the Raven's 'ideal' max engine size (XL 255) so if you like Ravens or already own Ravens you've got everything you need to be That Jerk in the Spider.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tarbrush posted:

Don't know, but they were in the last but one sale so I wouldn't expect them to go on again immediately.

Blarg.
Ok, then ill buy the first one for full.
Speaking of which, S-variant is a given i understand?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Blarg.
Ok, then ill buy the first one for full.
Speaking of which, S-variant is a given i understand?

For a TBR? No, not really. A/C/D are the ideal because of the extra energy mount in the CT. You'll end up with a TBR-S omnipod in the right torso for most builds and that gives you enough JJs for maneuvering.

e: I made the mistake of getting the TBR-S for my first one and it throws off a lot of the really good builds.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Stringbean posted:

For a TBR? No, not really. A/C/D are the ideal because of the extra energy mount in the CT. You'll end up with a TBR-S omnipod in the right torso for most builds and that gives you enough JJs for maneuvering.

e: I made the mistake of getting the TBR-S for my first one and it throws off a lot of the really good builds.

I can agree with this. My S has been shelved for a while. I play my A for when I wanna brawl, and my C for pumping lasers.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I see, the S doesnt bring much to the cause except JJs, while the A is basically a left torso with some other stuff.

The D looks really nice to me, thinking about starting with TBR-D,
grinding towards TBR-PRIME and finishing with the TBR-S

Only roughly 30 millions to go...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Hey so I heard you like AC/2s.

from metamechs: BJ-1 Dakkadakkadakka

Don't fire the MLs unless you need to finish something off or are out of ammo. The AC/2s alone are:

1. Almost heat-neutral

2. With modules able to reach out to 900 meters for full damage

3. The 35% total AC/2 cooldown time means you're spitting them out at .46 second intervals

I dropped in it on Polar last night and got 875 damage/5 kills. Beyond a certain range you can just stare down bigger 'mechs because they're hitting you for half damage, and their cockpits are so rattled that they can't get good shots off

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I personally prefer running a Large Pulse Laser build. The Spider -5D's quirks are relatively tame (10% energy cooldown and range, -10% energy heat) compared to the -5V (30% energy cooldown, 10% range, -30% heat) or the -5K (50% energy cooldown, -25% laser duration, 20% machine gun ROF) but even being the 'worst' of the lot in terms of quirks and extra structure it's still half decent, especially if you already own a Large Pulse Laser Cooldown module (and if you don't but find you like Spiders, I strongly recommend buying one for the Spider -5K. 50% cooldown + 12.5% cooldown + 5% cooldown is roughly like having 3 Large Pulse Lasers on chainfire).

I've seen a good case made for running 1 large laser and 2 medium lasers as well, I just don't personally like sticking weapons in the Spider's arms. The nice thing about the Spider -5D is that it shares the Raven's 'ideal' max engine size (XL 255) so if you like Ravens or already own Ravens you've got everything you need to be That Jerk in the Spider.

Good advice, poptarts! Thank you, and I may just steal that LPL spider.
I've done the 2 medium+large before. I think i had an Xl210, 2 medium pulse and 1 large laser on the 5d, Punchy, but not fast, and 2-4 jump jets(i forget) isn't *quite* enough mobility.

Basically, I've been looking to take a pair of spiders into CW alongside my pair of Atlas, but you have to actually be able to bring something to the table and contribute there. I was strongly considering the amazing spider-uav for spider #2, but I wasn't sure if a beagle would be worth it in cw.

Its kind of a tossup between the usefulness of ecm+bap on a platform that can get anywhere, or actually OK damage output for the tonnage. the spiders are fairly tough for a light, though, I'll give them that.

Any advice on that front would also be appreciated.

Can the 5k mount an LPL and all 4 MG?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

SDR-5K
He can, but it comes down to saving on armor/engine/ammo weight, and thats not considering JJs.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 22, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

SDR-5K
He can, but it comes down to saving on armor/engine/ammo weight, and thats not considering JJs.

You absolutely can, using the same XL255 engine as the -5D (jump jet included!), although if you want to skip them you can be as fast as the Locust with better jump capability

If you're not comfortable with your head armor that low, you can bump down the arm armor a little. Honestly I've never taken a legitimate headshot in a Spider, and if the enemy's running Helios I'd rather be knocked out of the fight early anyway.

I prefer having the machineguns though. You wouldn't believe how many people (especially other light `Mechs) panic and run away from you when they start seeing the stream of 'you're being damaged' flashes on their hud.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 22, 2016

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

TjyvTompa posted:

I am thinking about buying this package, seems like a fair deal.

Yeah, I just bought $50 and it gave me 65m cbills, not 6.5m like the ad says.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You're gonna ruin it with these posts

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Klisejo posted:

Spend it all immediately before they realize their mistake

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

You absolutely can, using the same XL255 engine as the -5D (jump jet included!), although if you want to skip them you can be as fast as the Locust with better jump capability

If you're not comfortable with your head armor that low, you can bump down the arm armor a little. Honestly I've never taken a legitimate headshot in a Spider, and if the enemy's running Helios I'd rather be knocked out of the fight early anyway.

I prefer having the machineguns though. You wouldn't believe how many people (especially other light `Mechs) panic and run away from you when they start seeing the stream of 'you're being damaged' flashes on their hud.

Lol, spent so much time loving around with clanmechs that i forgot the wonders that are endosteel and ferro fibrous.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

Spend it all immediately before they realize their mistake

Burned through it like a welfare check on the 1st of the month.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Klisejo posted:

:staredog:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Would they force refund the mechs

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I was working on saving up to build a clan drop deck.

Now I have a clan drop deck :unsmigghh:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I have so many more clan mechs than IS

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ZenVulgarity posted:

Would they force refund the mechs

Either that or shunt your cbill balance into the negative. It's unlikely they'll pump ten times the amount they intended into player accounts and not correct it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Even PGI isn't dumb enough to try to correct it from people who have already purchased it, but we have :pgi: for a reason.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Replacing one of the Streak SRM6's on the Streakcrow with a TAG a good idea or bad idea?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If your team brings LRM's a good idea.
If it doesn't, a terrible idea.

Don't do it if you're solo joining, you will not be pleased with the results. You need a reliable LRM friend to justify bringing TAG.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Don't TAG's buff the accuracy and lock on speed of Streaks though?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Bolow posted:

Replacing one of the Streak SRM6's on the Streakcrow with a TAG a good idea or bad idea?

Why? Put the tag in the head

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Fans posted:

If your team brings LRM's a good idea.
If it doesn't, a terrible idea.

Don't do it if you're solo joining, you will not be pleased with the results. You need a reliable LRM friend to justify bringing TAG.

Eh? In tier 3 roughly 75% of the team is using lrms.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bolow posted:

If you want a TAG, do this:

SCR-PRIME

you'll need all of those streaks to cripple lights in one alpha and do enough damage to everything else so they don't just charge and end you

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Bolow posted:

Don't TAG's buff the accuracy and lock on speed of Streaks though?

I didn't even realize that. Never seen someone actually use the lockon SRM's. The dumbfire ones just seem better in every way.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

If you want a TAG, do this:

SCR-PRIME

you'll need all of those streaks to cripple lights in one alpha and do enough damage to everything else so they don't just charge and end you

Oh didn't realize the prime had a laser hard point in the head :v:

I'll keep that in mind after I finish basic'ing the D

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fans posted:

I didn't even realize that. Never seen someone actually use the lockon SRM's. The dumbfire ones just seem better in every way.

The streaks make annoying lights explode with the touch of a button. It's pretty comical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

The cost of unscrambling that egg in manhours coupled with doing something significant to negatively impact actual paying customers in a F2P game. Best move is to just pretend it didn't happen.

• Locked thread