Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

smertrioslol posted:

That sounds pretty neat. Thanks for the advice everyone :sun:

Just check and see if the place you go to does Rare Re-drafting before you join in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Cernunnos posted:

Just check and see if the place you go to does Rare Re-drafting before you join in.

Oh gooodie, this old chestnut!

Tl;Dr is rare redrafting rewards the top 1-3 players with a valuable card and since you are new this will not be you. It's a perfectly reasonable setup for 8 friends drafting a box over beers at home but it's very bad for people just starting out. If you are doing a regular draft you can pick a money card or a card that your deck will play (or both if you are lucky) but it's up to you to decide which is more valuable say, a $5-10 rare or a good solid removal card that might help you win the same dollar amount or more in prize packs, if thats even what is important to you. For a lot of ppl the card you can play and have fun with is the slam dunk pick and thats not "wrong" either. For me it was several months of drafting before I thought I knew better and just took the money card but I'm a cheapass so YMMV

:can:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Olothreutes posted:

If you buy packs of cards you should be doing something with them. Playing sealed or draft is the usual recommendation. Just buying packs to open in hopes of getting specific cards isn't economically effective and if you just want specific cards for as little money as possible you should buy singles.

Blah blah blah I buy packs all the time for no other reason the gambling is fun. You don't have to set up a draft every time to buy some packs. Sure in the long run singles are better but packs are fun regardless.

My rule is I buy 5-10 packs every time I walk into the LGS because gently caress you that's why. I make money for a reason.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Why would anyone prefer rare redrafting?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

smertrioslol posted:

Less cost of entry and you get to fleece your competition.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

smertrioslol posted:

Blah blah skill blah

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chill la Chill posted:

Run away if you hear anyone mention "rare redrafting." Then nobody keeps rare cards they draft.

Rare-redrafting is actual cancer

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

No thread turn left turn left

talk about something less polarizing like, the reserved list

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bread Set Jettison posted:

No thread turn left turn left

talk about something less polarizing like, the reserved list

Let's talk about that after Eternal Masters where we can either be really happy or really sad.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rare redrafting eternal masters will be poo poo because no matter how hard I try I can't get something on the reserve list. That is basically a time walk IRL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I just realized that my strongest format of Magic is probably MM15 draft.... I think i spend too much money on magic.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
T

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Rare redrafting eternal masters will be poo poo because no matter how hard I try I can't get something on the reserve list. That is basically a time walk IRL.

Time Walk Jettison

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

I just realized that my strongest format of Magic is probably MM15 draft.... I think i spend too much money on magic.

According to http://xamleeg.kavu.ru I do best at standard, the format I hate the most :(

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cactrot posted:

According to http://xamleeg.kavu.ru I do best at standard, the format I hate the most :(

That's understandable, you're into formats that require a larger skill set and more thinking than Standard, so naturally you'll be better at a format that involves less of all of that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lancelot posted:

I love Eldrazi. Some of my best friends are Eldrazi. But, let's face it, Eldrazi are killing this format.

Maro is great! I love Maro. I played golf with Maro last week. But Maro can't make the bans we need to make Modern great again. When I'm head of R&D, I will make the best bans you'll ever see. The best bans. You're gonna love the bans I make.
If you ban rare redrafting I'll vote for you. Together we can Make Magic Great Again. :911:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

smertrioslol posted:

They're an rear end in a top hat drafting in an an rear end in a top hat store run by and for assholes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cactrot posted:

That shows the only format I've played with a winning percentage is Modern, which is at 68%. I am a true Modern Master.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
CONSPIRACY: THE REIGN OF BRAGO
Conspiracy 2
August 26, 2016

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Kind of surprised they're doing another conspiracy set, there was literally zero interest at my LGS for the first one.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Brago is my favorite ghost king, so I'm excited.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

You don't feel obliged to take lovely constructed cards over the things you want for your deck

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GoutPatrol posted:

That shows the only format I've played with a winning percentage is Modern, which is at 68%. I am a true Modern Master.

My best format is Sealed and my second best is Modern at 56% and 50% respectively.

By event type all my best play happens at Pre-releases. :v:

I'm awful at Draft with a 32% win-rate. :v:

So we're getting 2 supplementary sets this year?

Cool.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 22, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wurzag posted:

Kind of surprised they're doing another conspiracy set, there was literally zero interest at my LGS for the first one.
We had a couple drafts. People occasionally cracked some packs. Some interesting cards for eternal formats came out.

It didn't set the world on fire, but I'm not sure they can ask for much more than what they got. Supplemental products are likely tricky enough that even a modest success is great.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You don't feel obliged to take lovely constructed cards over the things you want for your deck

correct, which is why it's good if you're drafting for fun with friends

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BRING ON DUCK FAYGO PART 2

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

I got to head judge a Conspiracy event at Gencon, and it was a blast. Splinter Twin on Pelakka Wurm is really dumb. It's also one of the better sets to crack packs of, since you can still get them at MSRP.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Brownhat posted:

I got to head judge a Conspiracy event at Gencon, and it was a blast. Splinter Twin on Pelakka Wurm is really dumb. It's also one of the better sets to crack packs of, since you can still get them at MSRP.

Twin isn't in Conspiracy. That was an MM15 draft.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wurzag posted:

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

Part of the fun of Conspiracy was cards that let you affect the actual draft, you could end up with a Mox theoretically.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

Let me tell you about a card called Lore Seeker

Edit: Also

quote:

If you use Agent of Acquisitions to draft a booster pack containing Lore Seeker, and you wish to add a booster pack to the draft, first draft each remaining card from the Lore Seeker booster pack. Then open the new booster pack. You may look at the cards in that pack, but you can’t draft any cards from it. You’ll pass the new booster pack as normal. That was very generous of you.

:lol:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Part of the fun of Conspiracy was cards that let you affect the actual draft, you could end up with a Mox theoretically.

Right Lore Seeker exists.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I still have a bunch of Conspiracy packs, I wish I had people to draft them with :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
super surprised that we're getting two supplemental sets this year and presumably commander in the fall

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I still have a bunch of Conspiracy packs, I wish I had people to draft them with :(

I will draft Conspiracy with you

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It took an extra week, but people finally realized City of Traitors is indeed on the reserve list.

$55 -> $175 in a week.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Cernunnos posted:

Whenever someone picked a Lore Seeker, we gave them a free pack of MM15 to add to the draft. I think we had three Lore Seekers between 40-something people drafting.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

It took an extra week, but people finally realized City of Traitors is indeed on the reserve list.

$55 -> $175 in a week.

I think it might also be because it's showing up in Legacy Eldrazi brews floating around online

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Everblight posted:

$55 -> $175 in a week.

Oh neat. I traded for some of them last week on the off chance show and tell would be reprinted in EMA. Guess I got lucky again. :3:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Everblight posted:

$55 -> $175 in a week.

Yeah I'm a dumbass. I was going to finish my playset last weekend and got distracted. This was easy to see coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I looked up the reserved list again cuz I didn't know alliance cards were on it. Everyone likes to make fun of when I say FOW is uncommon and "they didn't know what they were doing" but lol if it was a rare "that it should've been" that was in that list.

• Locked thread