Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

skaboomizzy posted:

I ordered a 960 4GB instead of a 970 for my PC because I was right up against my budget with processor, RAM, and everything else on the build. My current monitor is a 1440*900 widescreen which should be fine for what I'm doing. I'm not going to be doing super HD gaming or competitive FPS stuff on this, it'll mostly be for streaming Hearthstone and maybe a couple other card/strategy games that aren't graphics blockbusters. Is this the worst $140 I ever saved or not?

If that's all you're doing with it the 960 will be fine. But the 950/960/380/380X are not particularly good value overall because they get pinched from both the top and bottom by other cards. The 290/390 and 970 (or B-stock 780 Ti) both provide a larger increase in performance than their increase in cost, the 7950/280 is older but just about as fast as the 960 and can be had for $100, and the 750 Ti is cheap and still probably Good Enough for those basic loads. The 950/960 are perfectly fine cards, you're just leaving either money or performance on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Oh hey april is close!

also didnt see this here but HTC vive is $800, but at least it comes with all the swag

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 22, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anandtech confirming they are rebrands

http://www.anandtech.com/comments/10066/lenovo-launches-new-miix-310-tablet-yoga-510-and-yoga-710-convertibles-at-mwc-2016/490019

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Alchenar posted:

And we're off!

Interesting to see if this triggers a flood of news releases from NVIDIA to hedge against being seen as behind.

The table at the end of that article is pretty amazing in it's level of detail on Polaris.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Durinia posted:

The table at the end of that article is pretty amazing in it's level of detail on Polaris.

Watch it be wrong.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Oh hey april is close!

also didnt see this here but HTC vive is $800, but at least it comes with all the swag

With this thing available in April, the GPU situation really sucks - I wanted to get the Rift/Vive ASAP but I'd need a new PC at the time too, and there's no way I'm buying a 980 now when it's going to be poo poo in a couple of months. Is the ETA for Polaris and Pascal still around June or so?

xthetenth posted:

Watch it be wrong.

I don't see how it possibly could be:

quote:

Cooling: Very Red; Red
Performance (FP32): Many TFLOPS; A Decent Amount

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

mobby_6kl posted:

With this thing available in April, the GPU situation really sucks - I wanted to get the Rift/Vive ASAP but I'd need a new PC at the time too, and there's no way I'm buying a 980 now when it's going to be poo poo in a couple of months. Is the ETA for Polaris and Pascal still around June or so?

If it makes you feel better I think the chances of actually getting a Vive or Occulus in April are pretty much 0, and there is probably significant pressure on both GPU companies to make meaningful releases around this time anyway

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I tried the HTC Vive at PAX South and it was really impressive. I haven't tried the Oculus, though, so I have no basis for comparison except for google cardboard. Their thing seems to be room scale VR, so you set up a dedicated space to use it and your games will adapt to the size of your VR room. The Zotac booth was letting folks try the Vive for 5 minutes, you'd get like 3 minutes of Arizona Sunshine, a zombie shooter and then 2 minutes with Tilt Brush which let you pick brushes and colors and paint objects in 3d. The controllers felt natural to use and were easy to find because it tracks where they are in the space and you can see the wireframe of them in the white ready room they have before the programs start.

At $800 I'm still firmly in the "wait to see if this technology takes off" category but I really liked what I saw.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

It's wccf, they'll find a way. (also the sapphire coolers are the only ones my heart has room for).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rexxed posted:

I tried the HTC Vive at PAX South and it was really impressive. I haven't tried the Oculus, though, so I have no basis for comparison except for google cardboard. Their thing seems to be room scale VR, so you set up a dedicated space to use it and your games will adapt to the size of your VR room. The Zotac booth was letting folks try the Vive for 5 minutes, you'd get like 3 minutes of Arizona Sunshine, a zombie shooter and then 2 minutes with Tilt Brush which let you pick brushes and colors and paint objects in 3d. The controllers felt natural to use and were easy to find because it tracks where they are in the space and you can see the wireframe of them in the white ready room they have before the programs start.

At $800 I'm still firmly in the "wait to see if this technology takes off" category but I really liked what I saw.

Biggest issue with vive is gonna be tripping over a loving cord and pulling your computer off the desk.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

It's wccf, they'll find a way. (also the sapphire coolers are the only ones my heart has room for).

Please don't buy Sapphire, they have no transferable warranties, and pretty high failure rates compared to the other brands.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Biggest issue with vive is gonna be tripping over a loving cord and pulling your computer off the desk.

I hope someone comes up with a cable that has low-friction breakaways. Hell even some console controllers took that into consideration.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Anyone know what could cause this?

During the benchmark Afterburner says GPU and CPU usage were both around 100%, GPU power around 50%, all temps were fine.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Please don't buy Sapphire, they have no transferable warranties, and pretty high failure rates compared to the other brands.

Doesnt stop their coolers from being real nice. Although I do need to remember that there is an xfx and power color fury out with a similar short board to the sapphire.

Still, while the subject's up, what are the best AMD card makers?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MSI and XFX are good. Shame MSI don't have a regular Fury out, though.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I'm having a hard time believing anything but the most aggressively binned Bonaire could fit into a 14" laptop, and there is no way the Polaris 11 demoed is the new M490, so looks like there will be a hilarious jump from the M460 to M470 in perf/watt.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
95% of 14'' "gaming" laptops aren't very good anyway so gently caress 'em.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

Doesnt stop their coolers from being real nice. Although I do need to remember that there is an xfx and power color fury out with a similar short board to the sapphire.

Still, while the subject's up, what are the best AMD card makers?

MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte are the three who have 3-year serial-bound warranties. Having gone through RMA with all three, MSI are the best while Asus and Gigabyte can sometimes be a shitshow. MSI also tends to edge out Asus and Gigabyte on their cooler noise/performance, and overall build quality.

On the NVidia side, EVGA has spectacular warranties and support, and aside from the 970 cooler slip-up they make some great cards.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte are the three who have 3-year serial-bound warranties. Having gone through RMA with all three, MSI are the best while Asus and Gigabyte can sometimes be a shitshow. MSI also tends to edge out Asus and Gigabyte on their cooler noise/performance, and overall build quality.

On the NVidia side, EVGA has spectacular warranties and support, and aside from the 970 cooler slip-up they make some great cards.

Yeah, I bought four straight EVGA cards but sadly I can't exactly buy AMD cards from them. So I guess it's MSI winning ties when I buy AMD (not gonna regret the pair of Vapor-X 290s I bought for a friend and myself after the 390 raised all the other 290 prices though, that was plenty of money to roll the dice for).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 22, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sapphire cards are really good these days, and warranty is supposed to be done by the place you ordered from, not whoever made the card so why care about their RMA being poo poo or not? It's not your problem to care about. Not in the least because there's absolutely no way an end user is going to have the same pull as a big exporter/retailer, so they're not equipped to properly deal with it in the first place.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Truga posted:

Sapphire cards are really good these days, and warranty is supposed to be done by the place you ordered from, not whoever made the card so why care about their RMA being poo poo or not?

While I agree that it's been awhile since I've seen any serious poo poo-shows from Sapphire cards, not sure what you mean about the warranty. Maybe that's how things work in Euro-land or whatnot, but in the US the retailer isn't going to deal with you after the first 30 days or so, so unless it's a DOA board you're absolutely going to have to deal with the manufacturer for warranty support. Plus serial-based warranties make for better used parts market (and hence higher resale) since the buyer knows that even if you send them a wonky card, they can still get it fixed.

Though it is always wise to buy from a retailer with a good return policy anyhow, so you can deal with any issues like horrible coil whine without too much hassle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safetyland posted:

Don't be me.

Don't buy poo poo DisplayPort cables. (couldn't even get to POST)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764458

I too had a weird issue with display port cables. My monitor would not awaken from sleep mode when hooked up through DP. I tried 2 different cables (one came with the monitor, U3415W) but eventually had to go the the HDMI2.0 cable for it to work.

Still not sure if it's the cable, monitor or 980ti causing the issue.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm thinking Dell DP support might be hosed. I'm having some issues as well although they're quite manageable so I don't care.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I've had dumb issues with DP as well, but I didn't bother trying new cables and just went back to DVI for simplicity.

Unrelated quirk, I tried the Division and was confused by very low performance (~15 fps) then when I could finally get to the settings menu I saw the issue

lol now im just proud I could run 5k at 14 fps

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 22, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

xthetenth posted:

I'm thinking Dell DP support might be hosed. I'm having some issues as well although they're quite manageable so I don't care.
That wouldn't surprise me. I doubt both cables would be screwed and my video card has been rock solid.. although I never used any of the DP before. Do they ever do firmware updates for monitors?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

MSI and XFX are good. Shame MSI don't have a regular Fury out, though.

XFX is now good and Sapphire is poo poo? It seems like the answer to that question hangs on whoever you ask that day.

I'd put Sapphire above XFX, for what it's worth.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I had a bad displayport cable come in the box with a Dell U3415w, too.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Anyone know what could cause this?

During the benchmark Afterburner says GPU and CPU usage were both around 100%, GPU power around 50%, all temps were fine.

Software issue? I had the test crash my geforce drivers twice before finally getting this result.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Verizian posted:

Software issue? I had the test crash my geforce drivers twice before finally getting this result.

FYI when the drivers crash NVIDIA brings the GPU back up in an underclocked mode for stability, so if you want accurate results you'll need to restart after a crash.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Verizian posted:

Just so you don't feel left out, running this also crashed my ATI AMD drivers (which then restarted correctly).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xthetenth posted:

Must be a spotty thing with new monitors maybe? I've got a P2414 with DP and it works fine, still using the original DP cable that came with the monitor, even bought a spare after all the DP horror stories. Have any other monitor brands or video cards had DP issues recently?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
2412M here, and I've had one DP cable go bad on me thus far. Thankfully I had a spare available before I started doing dumb poo poo like swapping out graphics cards with spares and reloading Windows.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Verizian posted:

Might be a system issue? Didn't seem to have a problem with my system. Ran the first time without issue.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Say what you will about Sapphire, I think they were the only ones to air-cool a Fury in a way that made sense.

It is a setup I sincerely hope they reuse for Polaris's top end chip.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I haven't had a Sapphire card since like the early 2000's. I didn't think they were good then but they must be doing something right to still be around

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
2500K (@4.4Ghz) + 970 + 16GB of DDR3-1600 can still 'hang', evidently:

Running the semi-old 352.94 iCafe drivers, too.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 22, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Say what you will about Sapphire, I think they were the only ones to air-cool a Fury in a way that made sense.

It is a setup I sincerely hope they reuse for Polaris's top end chip.

XFX Triple Dissipation Fury and whatever PowerColor call theirs are basically the same. So I expect it.

Is a loving legendary CPU.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Also 2500K @ 4.6 and a 390:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Seamonster posted:

95% of 14'' "gaming" laptops aren't very good anyway so gently caress 'em.

the y410p was decent at the time! I mean it only had a 755m but that wasn't terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Truga posted:

Sapphire cards are really good these days, and warranty is supposed to be done by the place you ordered from, not whoever made the card so why care about their RMA being poo poo or not? It's not your problem to care about. Not in the least because there's absolutely no way an end user is going to have the same pull as a big exporter/retailer, so they're not equipped to properly deal with it in the first place.

Assuming nothing has changed since 2014, the problem with Sapphire is that they send you off to some shithouse called Athlon Micro for RMA's, and they're touchy as gently caress over what will void your RMA, along with the fact that you have to pay shipping both ways regardless on if you qualify. I had a 7950 with dead fans, and they denied me an RMA because I changed the loving thermal paste - something 100% unrelated to the fans dying - and even going past that, no sane brand has ever been known to deny you an RMA for doing something about the Vaseline they glob on their cards. Either way, I ate $25 in shipping fees and grabbed some Chinese knockoff Dual-X fans from eBay (which are free if you point out they almost always lack the breakaway cables needed to route them through the fan mount post-purchase). Athlon Micro is a pretty well-known source for warranty horror stories on the usual tech forums

Newegg also tells you to gently caress off if you try to get them to RMA a GPU that's over 30 days old, so going through the place you order from isn't an option for something that really only starts to show signs of imminent death after a few months of sustained usage