Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I would have liked if the quests were a little less generic and the way audio didn't really sync up with what was on screen, it was hard to follow the dialogue even when I was interested. That being said, there were a couple kinda cool missions? I was doing it on my level 40 dude so all the content was super trivial though. And now that I have Bounties unlocked I probably won't bother too much doing them unless I'm bored/don't know what to do next. Do goon parties happen at all? I'm in one of the defunct old branches [FAT] when the sprawling army system was in place so I should probably join whatever the main clan is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DarkDobe posted:

I wish I understood how these module credits worked, though.
I had four level 40 frames and every other advanced frame, all in various state of upgrade and beef, almost all modded up with good weapons.
This patch hits - my modules are junk... and I end up with 2.6 thousand module credits.

My friend, with one level 40 frame and a handful of modules (most that I crafted for them) ends up with 8k module credits.
Huh?
You got more credits for purple modules. Or maybe your friend just had a bunch of green modules. Plus, they are having a problem right now where all of your modules they unequipped during the migration aren't showing up in your inventory, so you might have a bunch of modules to salvage sometime in the next few days.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I would have liked if the quests were a little less generic and the way audio didn't really sync up with what was on screen, it was hard to follow the dialogue even when I was interested. That being said, there were a couple kinda cool missions? I was doing it on my level 40 dude so all the content was super trivial though. And now that I have Bounties unlocked I probably won't bother too much doing them unless I'm bored/don't know what to do next. Do goon parties happen at all? I'm in one of the defunct old branches [FAT] when the sprawling army system was in place so I should probably join whatever the main clan is now.
If army search is working, go ahead and put in an application. If not, tell me your in-game name and I'll send you an invite.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I haven't played this game since shortly after its initial release. Coming back to it all I can say is that it's fuuuuuuucked up.

I used to like it well enough, but this is an absolute mess, and hearing that it's the Nth redesign just makes it worse. There's no way this game makes it past June.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I think most of us have just as many hours predicting its death as we do playing. We really ought to start a pool.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'll be shocked if it even lasts a few more months. How do they turn this thing around after people have started quitting and them having to fix a bunch of poo poo?

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
The week of Reward Crates and the No Fall Damage Perk has been screaming nothing but "Bandaid" to me. If I wanted this many bandaids I'd eat a first-aid kit. What makes me salty about this game is how much I've legitimately enjoyed and cared about it- I guess its akin to having your comatose child stuck on life support and feeling the longterm pressure of medical bills? I'm a terrible person.

I loved you Firefall, why do you have to die in such an undignified manner...

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 30, 2016

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nalin posted:

You got more credits for purple modules. Or maybe your friend just had a bunch of green modules. Plus, they are having a problem right now where all of your modules they unequipped during the migration aren't showing up in your inventory, so you might have a bunch of modules to salvage sometime in the next few days.

If army search is working, go ahead and put in an application. If not, tell me your in-game name and I'll send you an invite.

It could be? I crafted an assload of level 15 (I think - the lowest purple available) just to fill out every available slot.

For my two main frames, I blew credits and pilot tokens galore for the 40 purples.

If they valued purples as purples without regard for level, chances are my friend might have had more overall? Either way it is annoying to have only enough for two and a half 'decent' tier seven modules now.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

So somehow I got 38x 40 million XP pack.
I could dump all of that 1.5 billion XP worth into a single frame and gain 441 elite levels.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Do it. Dooooo it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The weirdest thing about firefall is how laggy and rough it still is in spots. Just using menus can be a pain in the rear end sometimes. That just shouldn't be the case with a game that's been live for so long.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
It's to be expected when they're constantly completely overhauling core features. You don't get to spend time on quality of life. You can't tweak the UI when it's changing to accommodate the new stuff.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

chestnut santabag posted:

So somehow I got 38x 40 million XP pack.
I could dump all of that 1.5 billion XP worth into a single frame and gain 441 elite levels.
Wait until they fix the bug where you can lose your elite ranks. You still keep your bonuses from your elite levels, but it will actually lower your level number.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Bug grants a player 1.5 billion xp.

Bug wipes levels.

???

Firefall

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
How very Zen of them.

Edit: Welp, now every time I try to do a mission I get kicked back out to the title screen, well done. Also there are already people who demand group members having 100+ elite levels to even invite them to group. And of course I didn't get the remaining Titan tokens from salvaging my weapon.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 31, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've made a bunch of updates to Goon Transit today. It is now at version 2.5.
If some of the newer or returning people don't realize, Meldii has the ability to check for updates for the addon. There has been a bunch of releases that I haven't posted about.

Download: http://tinyurl.com/goontransit

Today's fixes:
code:
Version 2.5
- Fixed the manual queueing commands /mqueue and /queue.
- Added a button to the Zone Explorer to cancel the queue.
- Added the ability to override the type of matchmaking in Zone Explorer.
- Added mission preview textures to Zone Explorer.

Version 2.4
- Fixed the ability to see which players are not in the leader's instance.
- The daily hardcore completion text now queries the proper certificates from the game.
- PvP matchmaking now works properly.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It's been a while since I posted, but I might as well update people as to what has been happening.
  • Crafting refund script has been run, so people have lots of crystite now.
  • Module script worked this time, so no more module reimbursements.
  • Instance queuing problems have been fixed.
  • Cloudchaser, the last systems designer at Red5, has left.
  • Gortok, another systems designer, left a week earlier. He was the one doing the crafting revamp.
  • Content designers are being converted to systems designers at the company.
  • Patch 1.7 (Devil's Tusk) should hit PTS soon.
  • They made Defense of Dredge harder. :argh:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
FadedPez usually has a look of resignation on his face but in the last FFL I tried to watch he looked like he should be on suicide watch.

Do any goons still work there?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Inimicul posted:

FadedPez usually has a look of resignation on his face but in the last FFL I tried to watch he looked like he should be on suicide watch.

Do any goons still work there?

I left in January, voluntarily, after getting an offer from a much bigger studio. :)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ville Valo posted:

I left in January, voluntarily, after getting an offer from a much bigger studio. :)

I guess only Merveilleux is left? Haven't seen him post here in a long time.

Inimicul posted:

Poor guy looks like he needs some sleep.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Nalin posted:

I guess only Merveilleux is left? Haven't seen him post here in a long time.

I thought he ( she? It? Both?) quit last year some time. There was a post about it but searching is hard.

I look forward to former devs who liked where the game was originally going getting together to work on a new project.

poo poo, that already happened. I just hope the next one doesn't devolve into lawsuits, layoffs, Twitter wars, drug abuse and parking lot sex too.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Inimicul posted:

I thought he ( she? It? Both?) quit last year some time. There was a post about it but searching is hard.

I look forward to former devs who liked where the game was originally going getting together to work on a new project.

poo poo, that already happened. I just hope the next one doesn't devolve into lawsuits, layoffs, Twitter wars, drug abuse and parking lot sex too.

Really? What's it called?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Really? What's it called?

The Aristocrats.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

People have been using the word "cupcake" on the forums.

:smithicide:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I'm glad someone finally managed to do game development like a moebius strip.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I doubt it's gonna last for much longer though what with a good chunk of the company leaving or getting fired and the game bombing in China. Or I could be wrong since it seems to be a way for the CEO guy to move money out of China.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Screams eeeEEE posted:

People have been using the word "cupcake" on the forums.

:smithicide:

No, it's a word filter. Bad words are censored to cupcake.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So basically this game is dead. That sucks. They just released a patch in december for Tribes: Ascend so at least I can get my FPS + jetpack gaming from somewhere.

Nalin posted:

Ew.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Nalin posted:

It's still a super unfortunate choice of word since it heavily invokes Wildstar but I guess it's appropriate since that's on the way out too.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really get the cupcake thing. Can someone explain it?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have to give Red5 credit, though. After all this time, they have finally managed to make a raid too difficult for random pubbies to finish. It has turned them all against each other as they try desperately to identify some sort of criteria that will filter all the bads from their group. 850 PR 200 Elite Rank only please. MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Baller Time posted:

I'm glad someone finally managed to do game development like a moebius strip.

"Ok guys, we are going to start work on a new moebial game."
"Why does he keep mobile like that?" - "I dunno, I think think he is British, just go along with it"

Screams eeeEEE posted:

So basically this game is dead. That sucks. They just released a patch in december for Tribes: Ascend so at least I can get my FPS + jetpack gaming from somewhere.
That game is dead too.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

-Troika- posted:

I don't really get the cupcake thing. Can someone explain it?

When you so jobs in Dredge, a lot of them are for this sleazy old guy who owns everything. He likes to call everyone cupcake and manages to work it into Every sentence. It became a sort of running gag during beta and them became a title you could unlock. Shortly after that the bad word filter was updated to it. If you are signed in and have the filter off, you don't see it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inimicul posted:

If you are signed in and have the filter off, you don't see it.

How do you do this? I don't think this is possible.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Wow you're right. The option has been removed. If that was an attempt to make users feel like cursing was futile in response to all the changes, I'm sure it worked as well as their other ideas.

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

It's saddening to see what the game has devolved into. I didn't play Beta but started playing from Day 1 of the official launch. It was fun for awhile but then the game just got repetitive and once you maxed out a frame there wasn't a whole lot to do afterwards. I eventually got all the frames to level 40 and stopped playing due to lost interest. It seemed like all the talk was about how awesome the game was in Beta and it's not the same anymore, etc. The announcement back in October I think it was about overhauls and lots of changes was promising and piqued my interest a bit, but that's all down the drain now I guess. Alas because there was so much potential.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Woah, check out this thread on the forum:
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/cloudchasers-closure.7387521/

Somebody leaked a conversation with Cloudchaser after he left Red5. He lets slip some interesting information:
  • Different designers worked on different frames post-Cowboy, one per archtype. Cloudchaser did Assault/Firecat/Tigerclaw (which are probably the most fun frames right now).
  • Cloudchaser was experimenting with armor sets that had ability interactions, like activating Afterburner would refresh the Meteor Strike cooldown.
  • Baneclaw raid will have 5 new guns, but they were made a long time ago before the post-Cowboy combat revamp so they will probably be horribly broken and unbalanced like all the other raid equipment.
  • Cowboy was laid off. Looks like the company directors didn't like him making the game too difficult and skill-based. That's why gun damage was increased and headshot damage lowered.
  • Alt-fire was removed from all weapons because the lead PvP designer (who no longer works at Red5) wanted to standardize what happens when a player right-clicks. And Cloudchaser hated the change. And all the players hate the change. Even the PvP'ers.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Dude, what the hell is with these devs/community people and their propensity to lock a thread after posting one last sick passive-aggressive burn on the community?

quote:

[*]Alt-fire was removed from all weapons because the lead PvP designer (who no longer works at Red5) wanted to standardize what happens when a player right-clicks. And Cloudchaser hated the change. And all the players hate the change. Even the PvP'ers.[/list]

And of course PvP ruins another game.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Umm, how did PVP ruin the game? No one wanted tgat change except the lovely designer.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Screams eeeEEE posted:

Dude, what the hell is with these devs/community people and their propensity to lock a thread after posting one last sick passive-aggressive burn on the community?

And of course PvP ruins another game.

I'm a little surprised the thread was locked and not deleted, but I don't know anything about managing a community.

It was in really poor taste to post that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ville Valo posted:

I'm a little surprised the thread was locked and not deleted, but I don't know anything about managing a community.

It was in really poor taste to post that stuff.

Yeah, making public the IRC logs wasn't the nicest thing. But Cloudchaser probably shouldn't have talked in IRC about some personal stuff like the Cowboy information. Telling people the cool stuff you wanted to do is fine in my opinion, but he should have waited a while before doomsaying about Red5. And he really didn't need to make fun of the capabilities of his fellow team members (the guy who did the Dread abilities). "The only involvement I had with the Dread abilities was helping fix bugs" would have been a much better way to put it. Everything I hear about the game industry is that it is fairly personal, so he shouldn't be saying this stuff in a public area like IRC.

But whatever. I am a goon and I like to laugh at drama. Even over this stupid, dead game that I love.

• Locked thread