Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's a good car charger that supports quick charge for my Moto X pure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's a good car charger that supports quick charge for my Moto X pure?

I use this one and it's great.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger...uick+charge+3.0

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Yup, the cycle HAS started, to drop 16gb. We saw it with the N6P as well. Eventually, 128gb may become a common option on the top end, but probably not in most devices that have an SD card as I don't think apps themselves have gotten to the point to necessitate that much storage.

Nexus 6 was only available in 32/64 GB too. No one has had to buy a good Android phone with 16 GB storage since the Nexus 4.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Let's talk about SD Cards!!!!:gay:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

OK I'll go. So Samsung and LG aren't allowing unified SD storage? What. Guess they are protecting their profits since everyone would just buy the 16gig 32gig version and a 200gig SD card. That's shady, even with the "SD cards are failure prone!" argument. Disable the Marshmallow feature so you make more profit. Nice.

poo poo, never mind. The only storage offered is 32gigs. There goes my conspiracy theory. Strange move IMO.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 22, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hotsauce posted:

Strange move IMO.

No, it's not. See my post on the previous page. Adoptable storage is only suitable for devices with a CRIPPLINGLY low amount of storage. It's a pretty poo poo feature the way it's setup on devices with even a modest amount of internal storage.

You can tell it was really made for Android One devices with like 4g of internal storage.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 22, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I agree, their implementation is a lot better, more so when their internal storage is as speedy as it is.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Adoptable storage is a time bomb and only really useful for disposable devices with very low specs and expected lifespans.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know a decent app for scrolling wallpaper? Don't quite understand why this is not already a thing on my m8 but yeah.
There's a couple I've tried but there trends to be some lag on the scrolling.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

El Grillo posted:

Does anyone know a decent app for scrolling wallpaper? Don't quite understand why this is not already a thing on my m8 but yeah.
There's a couple I've tried but there trends to be some lag on the scrolling.

If you just mean it scrolls to the left/right as you swipe between home pages: Nova Launcher. It does a lot of great things in addition to wallpaper fun and won't lag your phone. Spend the cash for the Prime version of it- so worth it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nova Launcher I recommend 100% to anyone with an Android phone, it's fantastic. The only thing I wish was possible was having Google Now if I swipe left from the home screen.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

orange sky posted:

Only thing I'm scared about with moto X is the size, 5.5 or 5.7 seems huge for my hand I don't know if it's practical at all.

I have a droid turbo 2 and the adjustment from a moto x 2013 didn't take long.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nova Launcher I recommend 100% to anyone with an Android phone, it's fantastic. The only thing I wish was possible was having Google Now if I swipe left from the home screen.

The launcher on moto x 2013 let me use any screen as the home screen, so when I swiped left it would show my calendar widget, and to the right it showed my other widgets.

It won't let me do that on the turbo 2. Only the left most screen can be home screen.

I've tried other launchers but then I miss out on swipe up for Google now.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 22, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

effika posted:

If you just mean it scrolls to the left/right as you swipe between home pages: Nova Launcher. It does a lot of great things in addition to wallpaper fun and won't lag your phone. Spend the cash for the Prime version of it- so worth it.
Yeah I always had it on the m7 but it seemed to slow things down and increase battery usage. I might give it a try finally though, I imagine things have improved in the last year or so!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doctor Butts posted:

I've tried other launchers but then I miss out on swipe up for Google now.

What? That shouldn't be the case. I've never used the stock Google launcher and can access Now by swiping up from the home key.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I recently bought a nice pair of noise-cancelling headphones with a built-in mic, and I'd like to use them instead of the speakerphone. The problem is, I can't hear myself talk while using them, and it bugs me. Hunting through the settings app doesn't show an option to turn it on, and apparently this option that I would consider a feature is considered an annoying bug by 99% of the rest of the world. Which would be fine itself, if anyone would state the fix for the bug so I could do the opposite.

Huawei Y536A1, Android 4.4.3. Any solutions?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Captain Yossarian posted:

lol if you use onboard storage

It's 2016, get in the cloudmy butt.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

hooah posted:

What? That shouldn't be the case. I've never used the stock Google launcher and can access Now by swiping up from the home key.

Is that on Nova Launcher? If so the other reason I don't use Nova is that most of my background photos are bright and I can't find the option to make the status bar semi transparent.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

If I want to do quick sketches with a stylus pen on a phone (that isn't TOO huge and heavy), what would my options be?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

KinkyJohn posted:

If I want to do quick sketches with a stylus pen on a phone (that isn't TOO huge and heavy), what would my options be?

The Galaxy Note and pretty much nothing else as far as I'm aware.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Carphone Warehouse and the UK mobile network websites only have 32GB versions of the Galaxy S7 and Edge. The tech sites are saying the capacities are 32, 64 and 128GB.

I take it the tech sites are wrong?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

orange sky posted:

Only thing I'm scared about with moto X is the size, 5.5 or 5.7 seems huge for my hand I don't know if it's practical at all.

I used to have a Moto G first gen and I updated to the Moto X Style some months ago. I spent a long time debating myself between the X Style or the Nexus 5X, ended up with the Moto and I'm really happy with it. The only two things it does worse than the Nexus is the lack of a fingerprint reader (which you are not used to and even then, I use it on an iPhone I have and it's not really a life changer) and that in very marginal conditions the camera is better on the Nexus 5X.

With the Moto you have an additional gig of RAM, a better display, an SD card, a better battery fast charging, etc. I was super scared at the size as well but now I couldn't have a much smaller phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doctor Butts posted:

Is that on Nova Launcher? If so the other reason I don't use Nova is that most of my background photos are bright and I can't find the option to make the status bar semi transparent.

Swiping up for Google Now literally has nothing to do with the launcher you're using. For the notification bar, that option for Nova Prime (dunno about regular Nova) us under Look and Feel, but as the option says, it depends on your OS version and any OEM shenanigans.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Carphone Warehouse and the UK mobile network websites only have 32GB versions of the Galaxy S7 and Edge. The tech sites are saying the capacities are 32, 64 and 128GB.

Most regions of the world are only getting 32GB versions.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why so quick to blame it on Lenovo? Could ha e been Verizon saying gently caress it, we don't wanna spend anymore money on QA testing updates for these phones we sold 3 years ago.

Oh, I am sure that it is Verizon's fault/decision. I was more sarcastically thanking Lenovo for the worthless $100 discount on a carrier exclusive phone that will probably get the same treatment.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Most of the early rumors from reputableish sites said the storage will only be 32/64, but since announcement we've found out that only 32 will be available in most regions.

Makes sense, anyway: a Samsung evo+ 128gb SD card only goes for $60 on Amazon.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lowen SoDium posted:

Oh, I am sure that it is Verizon's fault/decision. I was more sarcastically thanking Lenovo for the worthless $100 discount on a carrier exclusive phone that will probably get the same treatment.

I did some carrier QA for a cellular broadcasting device with Verizon a couple years ago. Essentially my company manufactured a laptop NUC PC with a built in touch screen that had slots for 8 WWAN daughter boards that had Verizon branded Huawei modems in them. We had to go through carrier approval to do a partnership with Verizon. They process consisted of them emailing me about four hundred pages of excel sheets that all cross linked each other and required me to fill out every field among the ten thousand fields. Most of them requested the same twenty pieces of information, but asked in different ways . Some cross linked, so filling out one field would auto populate the wrong field on another form. There were drop down menus that were entirely blank that were required to fill out, and the sheets were locked so you couldn't add anything. it was a huge mess.

I emailed them back and forth for months, and each time they'd respond with one error, I fix it, and they'd wait two weeks to report the next error. It was a nightmare, and clearly designed to make it nearly impossible to figure out what they wanted.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I did some carrier QA for a cellular broadcasting device with Verizon a couple years ago. Essentially my company manufactured a laptop NUC PC with a built in touch screen that had slots for 8 WWAN daughter boards that had Verizon branded Huawei modems in them. We had to go through carrier approval to do a partnership with Verizon. They process consisted of them emailing me about four hundred pages of excel sheets that all cross linked each other and required me to fill out every field among the ten thousand fields. Most of them requested the same twenty pieces of information, but asked in different ways . Some cross linked, so filling out one field would auto populate the wrong field on another form. There were drop down menus that were entirely blank that were required to fill out, and the sheets were locked so you couldn't add anything. it was a huge mess.

I emailed them back and forth for months, and each time they'd respond with one error, I fix it, and they'd wait two weeks to report the next error. It was a nightmare, and clearly designed to make it nearly impossible to figure out what they wanted.

I love this. I mean, it's about exactly what I'd expect a large, ancient company that largely exists because of monopolies and that's full of bureaucracy to have going on.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Google is finally doing something with their Jibe acquisition. Announced a new partnership at MWC to bring the GSMA and RCS to a bunch of carries with a cloud based RCS system.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160222005526/en/Global-Operators-Google-GSMA-Align-Adoption-Rich

And a new Jibe website:

http://jibe.google.com/

Hopefully this means that RCS on Android and at least Fi is coming sooner rather than later. Then like 50% of tiny cell phone companies, then ATT and Verizon in 3 years or never.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Could you explain to the rest of us what Jibe is,a long with GSMA and RCS?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I love this. I mean, it's about exactly what I'd expect a large, ancient company that largely exists because of monopolies and that's full of bureaucracy to have going on.

Our gear was just a laptop with a WWAN card, but they couldn't figure it out. Their testers complained that I didn't send them detailed information, and they couldn't figure out of we were vetting the WWAN boards (which were already certified), our motherboard (which didn't have any cellular hardware on them), our custom antenna, or what. My response was "uh, you guys saw us at NAB and approached us, so talk to your people." In the end it took months, and it was stalled since they couldn't figure out a way to use the touch screen while it was in a faraday cage. I ended up quitting before it went any further.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Could you explain to the rest of us what Jibe is,a long with GSMA and RCS?

Jibe is a company that made software to implement RCS for the carriers along with compatible mobile apps. Google bought them a while back.

GSMA is a standards making body. They're the people who figure out how to make the phones talk from network to network.

RCS is rich communication services, the next gen version of MMS, SMS, and what not. Idea is to make these things proper CARRIER services so you can have a carrier-level interoperable messaging, video chat, etc.

Long story short. SMS and MMS generally work between networks. You don't have to sign up for anything or install an app or other poo poo, they just work. Well, they do now, but it was a huge pain in the rear end for the carriers to get right. And they're poo poo protocols for what people actually want them to do in the smart phone era. So, RCS is the basis for replacing them with a real system that will actually scale and talk between networks.

GSMA is the standards body pushing this to get the carriers to accept, but it requires infrastructure. Jibe made that infrastructure, Google bought them.

Now, Google is announcing that they're working with GSMA to really push RCS and have signed a bunch of networks up for the first wave of the effort. And they're going to offer the RCS infrastructure on Google's cloud, so you don't even have to run it yourself. And they're going to bake the functionality into Android (probably Messenger) somehow.

Services that are expected to be part of RCS Messaging: Reliable delivery and ordering, high quality images, sound, and video. Delivery and read receipts. Presence and typing indicators. I haven't looked at the standard yet to see exactly what is included, but these are the kind of things coming to SMS via RCS.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 22, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That sounds great, so I expect Canada to get it in 2040 or so.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've been reading through the thread but didn't see anything regarding this - do most people find the Nexus protect option worth it?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

FunOne posted:

Jibe is a company that made software to implement RCS for the carriers along with compatible mobile apps. Google bought them a while back.

GSMA is a standards making body. They're the people who figure out how to make the phones talk from network to network.

RCS is rich communication services, the next gen version of MMS, SMS, and what not. Idea is to make these things proper CARRIER services so you can have a carrier-level interoperable messaging, video chat, etc.

Long story short. SMS and MMS generally work between networks. You don't have to sign up for anything or install an app or other poo poo, they just work. Well, they do now, but it was a huge pain in the rear end for the carriers to get right. And they're poo poo protocols for what people actually want them to do in the smart phone era. So, RCS is the basis for replacing them with a real system that will actually scale and talk between networks.

GSMA is the standards body pushing this to get the carriers to accept, but it requires infrastructure. Jibe made that infrastructure, Google bought them.

Now, Google is announcing that they're working with GSMA to really push RCS and have signed a bunch of networks up for the first wave of the effort. And they're going to offer the RCS infrastructure on Google's cloud, so you don't even have to run it yourself. And they're going to bake the functionality into Android (probably Messenger) somehow.

Services that are expected to be part of RCS Messaging: Reliable delivery and ordering, high quality images, sound, and video. Delivery and read receipts. Presence and typing indicators. I haven't looked at the standard yet to see exactly what is included, but these are the kind of things coming to SMS via RCS.

Suddenly I'm not so disappointed in what they did with hangouts. It makes some sense i suppose.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

Suddenly I'm not so disappointed in what they did with hangouts. It makes some sense i suppose.

The whole transition to RCS is speculated to be the reason why they did what they did with SMS & Hangouts. That being said RCS is currently pie in the sky and it's one of those things that if if the big players aren't telling you it's coming soon, it's best not to plan on it being here any time soon.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Since the LG G5 doesn't have an app drawer (or does? optionally?), and the Galaxy S7 optionally doesn't, that means Google is going to remove the App Drawer in Android N?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

LastInLine posted:

The whole transition to RCS is speculated to be the reason why they did what they did with SMS & Hangouts. That being said RCS is currently pie in the sky and it's one of those things that if if the big players aren't telling you it's coming soon, it's best not to plan on it being here any time soon.
Yeah, no, i assume it won't be out for some time, if ever. I don't even live in the states, so i don't think we'll be getting in on this any time soon.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zom Aur posted:

Yeah, no, i assume it won't be out for some time, if ever. I don't even live in the states, so i don't think we'll be getting in on this any time soon.

In this case, being in the states might be a hindrance to obtaining the features.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160222005526/en/Global-Operators-Google-GSMA-Align-Adoption-Rich

quote:

Global operators, including América Móvil, Bharti Airtel Ltd, Deutsche Telekom, Etisalat, Globe Telecom, KPN, Millicom, MTN, Orange, PLAY, Smart Communications, Sprint, Telenor Group, TeliaSonera, Telstra, TIM, Turkcell, VimpelCom, Vodafone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services

quote:

Vodafone, Claro, Deutsche Telekom, KT, LG U+, MetroPCS, Movistar, MTS, O2, Orange, SK Telecom, Slovak Telekom, Sprint, Telcel, Telekom, T-Mobile US

Some overlap there obviously, but still, broad ex-US support. Sorry Canada though, I'm not seeing any of your carriers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The more I read about the S7 Edge the more I want one

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-hands-on-these-phones-are-so-good-you-can-almost-forgive-touchwiz/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

FunOne posted:

In this case, being in the states might be a hindrance to obtaining the features.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services

Some overlap there obviously, but still, broad ex-US support. Sorry Canada though, I'm not seeing any of your carriers.
Oh, cool. Yeah, my operator is even in that list.

Huh. I suppose it might come way sooner than I'd have guessed.