Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Also be aware of any special concerns for your material. For example milling plexi if you get cracks you're too slow on your speeds and if you start melting chips you're pushing way to fast. So you've gotta find a sweet spot in between those two issues that still gives you a decent finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Parts Kit posted:

Also be aware of any special concerns for your material. For example milling plexi if you get cracks you're too slow on your speeds and if you start melting chips you're pushing way to fast. So you've gotta find a sweet spot in between those two issues that still gives you a decent finish.

Not only that but plexi and acrylic will melt back together if you're pushing hot enough

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sagebrush posted:

The calculators you find online are meant for production facilities where you need to optimize both cycle time and tool life because they affect your bottom line.

For the hobbyist who doesn't care if a part takes twice as long as it theoretically could, or who wouldn't wear out a tool in a year of use, the specifics don't matter anywhere near as much. Get the chip load right, take a light cut, and all the rest just dial in based on the sound.

I think the former -is- a legit concern I'll have eventually. Down the road, when I can do more than extrude different sizes of cylinder in Solidworks, I wanna do fancy 3D profile stuff for conforming dies and the like, and everything I've seen of Taigs doing stuff like that involve ridiculously long run times even in machining wax or foam. But I really don't see it mattering for the time being as long as I'm ballpark, yeah.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I think the former -is- a legit concern I'll have eventually. Down the road, when I can do more than extrude different sizes of cylinder in Solidworks, I wanna do fancy 3D profile stuff for conforming dies and the like, and everything I've seen of Taigs doing stuff like that involve ridiculously long run times even in machining wax or foam. But I really don't see it mattering for the time being as long as I'm ballpark, yeah.

Those ridiculous run times on 2.5D profiling have more to do with the tiny endmills, low machine speeds (rapids and cutting alike) and complex geometry/toolpaths. A 2" by 2" cookie/chocolate mold of a dove in machinable wax took near an hour on my X2 at 50 IPM cutting speed and I couldn't push it any faster due to the poor rigidity and design of the whole machine. If that was steel, a mold I wanted a high surface finish on, it had a high % step-over between toolpaths and a tiny endmill yeah its gonna take a while.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Got my lathe converted to CNC today, and got it running some code with Mach3. So excited to get it all configured and making chips.
I'm going to buy some delrin or something soft to practice on before I go full bore in to brass and nickel silver.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm thinking about a CNC purchase sometime down the road. I've heard nothing but good things about the Taig, but how does it compare to something like http://www.omiocnc.com/x4-800l-3a/ , which is a gantry design with linear guides?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

rawrr posted:

I'm thinking about a CNC purchase sometime down the road. I've heard nothing but good things about the Taig, but how does it compare to something like http://www.omiocnc.com/x4-800l-3a/ , which is a gantry design with linear guides?

Taig is going to be way more rigid, able to cut mild steel (slowly) compared to 2.5d gantry CNC machines. You'll have more working space on the table with most gantry designs though

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Brekelefuw posted:

Got my lathe converted to CNC today, and got it running some code with Mach3. So excited to get it all configured and making chips.
I'm going to buy some delrin or something soft to practice on before I go full bore in to brass and nickel silver.

Pics! I'm hooking up my lathe's z steppers today, I'd love to see your design.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

This is the best pic I have right now.
CNC in the front, manual lathe on shelf, and manual (soon to be CNC ) mill on top shelf.
The Tupperware is the box for my breakout board and stepper controllers.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

rawrr posted:

That gantry machine site is all over the place- they say it's fine on non-ferrous metals, listing stainless steel as one of them, and then including carbon steel parts and brass mislabelled as copper in the machining examples. Poorly-translated and inconsistent copy does not inspire confidence.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
The pact is sealed.

I am gonna face mill a big block of steel, simply because I now have a machine that can. Wheeeee~

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
1 AM thoughts: reading about how working with really low feed rates can cause cutters to burnish work instead of making chips is making me wonder: does non-subtractive tooling for conventionally-subtractive machine tools exist, beyond measurement tools like edge-finders? I don't think people do much burnishing any more, but

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I hand burnish all the time.
Occasionally I will throw something on the lathe and burnish it under power as well.

http://curtissjennyrestoration.blogspot.ca/2011/11/cowl-burnishing-louvers.html There is also this kind of burnishing.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I've burnished a lot of pewter by hand too, I just assume that it's fallen by the wayside in most modern applications outside of tumble-burnishing. Lathe-burnishing makes a lot of sense tho, yeah

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I use it to lighten dents in solid stock (brass instrument mouthpieces)

Hand burnishing with a polished piece of steel is standard practice in musical instrument repair.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Ambrose Burnside posted:

1 AM thoughts: reading about how working with really low feed rates can cause cutters to burnish work instead of making chips is making me wonder: does non-subtractive tooling for conventionally-subtractive machine tools exist, beyond measurement tools like edge-finders? I don't think people do much burnishing any more, but
I suppose this still counts as subtractive since an incredibly fine abrasive is involved but there are jeweling fixtures and bits for mills. They are used to create a pattern of shiny circles on a part for purely aesthetic reasons. The goal isn't to remove material, just create a pleasing pattern.

ed: oh! Check out friction welding if you haven't before. That's additive. And really really cool. Some fuckers figured out how to friction weld wood.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 8, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Parts Kit posted:

I suppose this still counts as subtractive since an incredibly fine abrasive is involved but there are jeweling fixtures and bits for mills. They are used to create a pattern of shiny circles on a part for purely aesthetic reasons. The goal isn't to remove material, just create a pleasing pattern.

ed: oh! Check out friction welding if you haven't before. That's additive. And really really cool. Some fuckers figured out how to friction weld wood.

Those same guys appear to be working on friction welding BONE. http://www.woodwelding.com/index.php/?page=idea-concept-bonewelding

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Spin forming is done on a lathe, or lathe-like tool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_spinning

Knurling and thread-forming are also technically non-subtractive processes, though sometimes you might end up scraping off some material.

I think there are also tools used specifically for work-hardening pieces under power. Swaging tools and stuff like that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I wouldnt call it non subtractive but clapped out CNC mills are used for polishing and sanding all the time.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I was looking at one of those cheap Chinese things that consist of a box of parts which can be assembled into a bunch of different tools (such as a lathe, mill, and sander):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__87843__Big_Power_Mini_Metal_8_In_1_Kit_HK_US_Plug_US_Warehouse_.html

I've wondered if it would be at all possible to convert something like that for CNC without interfering with its ability to be reconfigured.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I just fully read the mach3 manual. Hopefully now I can get my motors dialed in. The distance per unit was very off when I tried to run some stuff, even though I followed a guide specific to my sherline .

When I use mach3 with no custom setup, it runs my motors but doesn't have the distances correct, but when I load up a premade sherline profile, it won't even jog a motor. Very strange.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I know it's far from the best alloy for most projects but has anyone here tried casting aluminum cans into ingots for cheap material?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Parts Kit posted:

I know it's far from the best alloy for most projects but has anyone here tried casting aluminum cans into ingots for cheap material?

Is it worth the time to do that over going to the metal supply store and spending $20 on a chunk of aluminium? Its so cheap compared to other metals.

Not to mention the amount of cans needed to make an ingot.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And the cost of fuel to melt them down.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

I did some research on that a couple years ago, and the short answer is no, it's not cheaper. The cans have a lot of crap on them, and you need to do a lot of work to make it into anything decent. You can probably save money by getting cheap scrap AL from a junkyard or whatever and casting that into a useable shape. But honestly it's like building a boat, if you want to get into casting, knock yourself out, if you just want to do machining, buy commercial.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CBJamo posted:

I did some research on that a couple years ago, and the short answer is no, it's not cheaper. The cans have a lot of crap on them, and you need to do a lot of work to make it into anything decent. You can probably save money by getting cheap scrap AL from a junkyard or whatever and casting that into a useable shape. But honestly it's like building a boat, if you want to get into casting, knock yourself out, if you just want to do machining, buy commercial.

How is that like building a boat (like what's the full euphemism)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Brekelefuw posted:

Is it worth the time to do that over going to the metal supply store and spending $20 on a chunk of aluminium? Its so cheap compared to other metals.

Not to mention the amount of cans needed to make an ingot.
I do not have a metal supply store nearby. The amount of cans isn't an issue, I've got several bags that have yet to be taken to the scrap yard. And it's not like other scrap aluminum is hard to find either.

Similarly I've wondered if it would be worthwhile to attempt simple composites out of sawdust and HDPE or something.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

mewse posted:

How is that like building a boat (like what's the full euphemism)

Guessing here but I think he's saying if you want to build a boat from scratch then yay build a boat. If you just WANT a boat then buy one because unlike eg cooking making your own from scratch will not in any way compare to a modern manufactured one.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
See here for how many cans it takes to make a teeny tiny puck of aluminum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSoWxG30rb0

Whether or not that's worth it to you depends heavily on your location, bank account, and spare time.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Parts Kit posted:

I do not have a metal supply store nearby. The amount of cans isn't an issue, I've got several bags that have yet to be taken to the scrap yard. And it's not like other scrap aluminum is hard to find either.

Similarly I've wondered if it would be worthwhile to attempt simple composites out of sawdust and HDPE or something.

Because of the surface area cans produce huge amounts of dross when you try and melt them. If you compact them (really really compact them, not just crush) you can do decent.

If you have scrapyards though, and you want to take up metal casting, find and melt aluminum alloy wheels. Auto salvage yards often sell them cheap, and wrecked ones very cheap.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Mister Sinewave posted:

Guessing here but I think he's saying if you want to build a boat from scratch then yay build a boat. If you just WANT a boat then buy one because unlike eg cooking making your own from scratch will not in any way compare to a modern manufactured one.

Yup, that exactly. Building a boat is really loving complicated, so if you want to sail, just buy a boat. If you want to build a boat for the experience of building a boat then the fact that it's hard is the point.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
If you wanna cast aluminium, at least try to start with non-can feedstock- like other people said, cans are so thin that they can easily oxidize right through if not totally compacted, and the coatings on both sides of the container make a ton of dross. You'll have a much easier time melting down an old extension ladder or whatever.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Melting down a NEW extension ladder is even easier!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CrazyLittle posted:

Melting down a NEW extension ladder is even easier!

Or scrap aluminum extrusion/castings/scrap. Hit your local machine shop, I'll be they'd give you a bucket of the stuff. I pay like $3/lb at the local scrapyard for good aluminum drops, so scrap has to be less than that.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Aurium posted:

Because of the surface area cans produce huge amounts of dross when you try and melt them.
Had not considered that. I'll keep an eye out for better sources of scrap.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Ordered a 4th axis for my mill, as well as adjustable angle holder for it, tailstock, and a few other goodies.

Stupid UPS has decided that they can't deliver it to my home because of the duty charges, and is holding it until Tuesday at their warehouse across the city.
The wait is killing me.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm assembling a cnc thing in my garage. I'm used to using openscad to make stl files. What software can I use to convert these into gcode?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Oh man, you're in for a nasty shock

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Spazzle posted:

I'm assembling a cnc thing in my garage. I'm used to using openscad to make stl files. What software can I use to convert these into gcode?

I've been working on fixing a router, that now runs linuxcnc, and I really can't quote

ante posted:

Oh man, you're in for a nasty shock

this enough. I was working with 3d printers before, and the cnc toolling suuuucks in comparison, at least as a beginner.

Mostly I've been using pycam, which is slooooow. At least it's free and isn't otherwise obviously crippled.

I hear good things about sheetcam from people I trust. I don't know if it does stls, or just 2.5d from vector graphics. It's relatively inexpensive.

There's tons of packages, lots of strong opinions, and it seems the only ones universally regarded as good are >$200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Aurium posted:

I've been working on fixing a router, that now runs linuxcnc, and I really can't quote

this enough. I was working with 3d printers before, and the cnc toolling suuuucks in comparison, at least as a beginner.

Mostly I've been using pycam, which is slooooow. At least it's free and isn't otherwise obviously crippled.

I hear good things about sheetcam from people I trust. I don't know if it does stls, or just 2.5d from vector graphics. It's relatively inexpensive.

There's tons of packages, lots of strong opinions, and it seems the only ones universally regarded as good are >$200.

Pycam is indeed slow.

Let's say I'm willing to buy some software under $300. What options are there?