Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a pic of dead Scalia, I just want to make sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
His family declined autopsy, so I mean who's to say? Might just be a decoy corpse. But to what end, I wonder?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pillow Hat posted:

His family declined autopsy, so I mean who's to say? Might just be a decoy corpse. But to what end, I wonder?

They're afraid of being put in one of Obama's death camps.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

That call can't be challenged! :mad:

You're not dead until you're warm and dead, and with the icy depths of Scalia's heart we may have made a fantastic tragic mistake.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fansy posted:

Does anyone have a pic of dead Scalia, I just want to make sure

He doesn't photograph well, seeing as how he's invisible to mirrors and cameras now that he's ascended.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Scalia strikes me as the kind of tool that does the vampire cabal's bidding and then when he asks for his eternal reward they drain him because it's funny.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

geegee posted:

Tongue in cheek I'm sure but there will never be an American SG of the UN.

This. There is a very low glass ceiling at the UN for US citizens.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Alito is the worst tbqh

yeah, he's just a festering pile of bile with no redeeming qualities

scalia was at least at times possessed of wit and humor

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

evilweasel posted:

I mean, between losing the Court for a generation, and taking even a 33% chance of taking the White House, it's easy to see why they think it's worth the risk. The economy could crater

This is the real risk for the Democrats this year. The Baltic Dry Index has fallen to a five-year low, initial jobless claims have broken through a five-year high, and the producer price index has absolutely plummeted. Any one of these indicators could be due to interfering environmental conditions, but all three of them happening at the same time suggests we're heading towards a major economic downturn in the relatively near future.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

TheImmigrant posted:

Considering that we've sent idiots like John Bolton as our ambassador, I don't blame them.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

UberJew posted:

yeah, he's just a festering pile of bile with no redeeming qualities

scalia was at least at times possessed of wit and humor

Scalia rarely voted against the interests of the right wing of the Republican Party. Alito is purely a partisan hack.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Scalia rarely voted against the interests of the right wing of the Republican Party. Alito is purely a partisan hack.

Has he ever been asked about Raich? I'm sure I know what he'd say but...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ogmius815 posted:

Has he ever been asked about Raich? I'm sure I know what he'd say but...

He's dead, Jim

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
On cspan right now i my cable program listing says "justice antonin Scalia lying."

That should be him explaining his judicial philosophy, right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Radish posted:

Scalia strikes me as the kind of tool that does the vampire cabal's bidding and then when he asks for his eternal reward they drain him because it's funny.

is that why we never see thomas in the sunlight

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheImmigrant posted:

Kenya can advance him pretty far though. It'd be worth the hassle of finding a way toward some sort of dual citizenship deal just to watch the right wing explode from the UN building.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

This is the real risk for the Democrats this year. The Baltic Dry Index has fallen to a five-year low, initial jobless claims have broken through a five-year high, and the producer price index has absolutely plummeted. Any one of these indicators could be due to interfering environmental conditions, but all three of them happening at the same time suggests we're heading towards a major economic downturn in the relatively near future.

Who cares if the economy is in the midst of a global balance sheet recession and Chinese solvency crisis, we Democrats have some loving amazing optics to hit Republicans with, all thank to Ted Cruz' opportunism.

We know Ted Cruz is such an opportunist, he's willing to shut down the entire government if it helps Ted Cruz' future prospects. So I say this: Obama should use Ted Cruz by nominating America's first African-American woman justice while daring Cruz to filibuster before a hearing may be scheduled.

How loving great would that be? You make the Obama legacy no longer about Obamacare, no longer about his absolute shitshow of foreign policy, no longer about Clinton's drat emails, you make it about whether a perfectly qualified African-American woman deserves to have her day in court, just like the previous two, white, women nominees received.

Loretta Lynch for SCOTUS is the perfect choice because it fucks over the Republican narrative while increasing downballot minority turnout for Democrats, especially for Senate, while also absolutely loving over Bernie Sanders, a candidate who does not know how to handle an issue involving African American women.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioned how long it took for Sotomayor to get confirmed but it was only like two months? If that's the longest the GOP can seem to fight against a relatively liberal judge I don't see how Obama doesn't get one through

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Jeffrey Toobin writes about Scalia's legacy in the New Yorker.

He's not a fan.

from the article posted:

Belligerent with his colleagues, dismissive of his critics, nostalgic for a world where outsiders knew their place and stayed there, Scalia represents a perfect model for everything that President Obama should avoid in a successor.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The greatest validation for Scalia's legacy would be filling his seat with a qualified African American woman who did not get where she is because of affirmative action.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Someone mentioned how long it took for Sotomayor to get confirmed but it was only like two months? If that's the longest the GOP can seem to fight against a relatively liberal judge I don't see how Obama doesn't get one through

There wasn't a Republican majority back then.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also, she was replacing a liberal Justice.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SeANMcBAY posted:

There wasn't even a coherent Republican Senatorial minority back then, neither. 60 votes is 60 votes is gently caress you we make the rules go gently caress yourself.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough point. What's the longest it's taken to confirm a supreme court nominee?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

About 126 days.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aesop Poprock posted:

Fair enough point. What's the longest it's taken to confirm a supreme court nominee?

The longest time to confirm a nominee is kind of irrelevant. If the Senate refuses to affirm a a nominee they'll be withdrawn for a new nominee, but the time for confirmation goes from nomination to confirmation. So those who aren't confirmed don't count. Other than W's Miers nomination and Reagan's aborted Ginsburg nomination, they've all nominees have been voted on in modern times. Nixon almost made the list too, but his Miers type incompetent nominees were going to be declared incompetent so he didn't actually nominate them.

Since Tyler the Senate has pretty much accepted or rejected every nominee that didn't have their nomination withdrawn. John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson had nominees that the Senate passed a resolution to postpone the nomination of, which was meant to be indefinite. Tyler just had all his nominations end with a resolution to table the nomination.

The only real parallel to the current threat is from Hayes' administration. Where he nominated someone controversial and the Senate just ignored it until the next guy was elected. Of course Hayes did make the nomination in January 1881 and Garfield took office in March 1881, so that's a pretty shaky precedent to try and lean on. Aside from the general bad idea of pointing to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidency and saying "let's do that!"

The longest vacancy on the Supreme Court was 27 months, when the Senate refused to accept Tyler nominees. The longest vacancy since the Court went to 9 Justices is 391 days, when Nixon had a couple nominees rejected.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 22, 2016

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Joe Biden has come out against nominating a Supreme Court Justice in an election year, urges Obama to follow "historical precedent:"

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4581754/biden-senate-hearings-scotus-vacancy-election-year

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The gently caress Joe?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Despite his fake Onion Diamond Joe persona and goofy creeper uncle photos, Joe Biden has a lot of bad opinions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

uh why is anyone assuming arkane is being honest, it's a clip from the end of june 1992

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tricked again!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

uh why is anyone assuming arkane is being honest, it's a clip from the end of june 1992

oh dear god, the callous dishonesty of posting snark!

regardless, it is funny the fake outrage that is being bandied about when the exact same thing would happen/has happened if the parties were switched.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arkane posted:

oh dear god, the callous dishonesty of posting snark!

regardless, it is funny the fake outrage that is being bandied about when the exact same thing would happen/has happened if the parties were switched.

even setting aside the obvious difference between a hypothetical advanced at the end of june and the reality of the middle of february and also the mindless defense of "well maybe its wrong but you would do it too!", that one guy said a wrong thing is pretty different from the entire republican caucus in the senate doing the wrong thing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the Democrats have never outright rejected even the possibility of having nominations out of hand.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Look, if I can find a single clip of just one person aligned with your side saying something dumb that means it's totally defensible for my entire side to be doing incredibly dumb poo poo. Fair's fair, and now I'm off to sponsor a bill to require Senators to douse any supreme court nominee in Hershey's syrup because of this clip I've found of then Senator Santorum saying just the dumbest poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The first GOP Senator up for re-election this year has cracked and defected:

quote:

Moderate Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL) on Monday strayed from the hard line issued by Senate Republican leaders on President Obama's nomination to the Supreme Court, calling for the Senate to consider the President's nominee.

"I recognize the right of the president, be it Republican or Democrat, to place before the Senate a nominee for the Supreme Court and I fully expect and look forward to President Barack Obama advancing a nominee for the Senate to consider," Kirk wrote in a Monday op-ed in the Chicago Sun-Times.

Kirk's first public statement on how the Senate should proceed after Scalia's death had been keenly anticipated because he's a moderate Republican facing re-election this year in a closely watched race.

"I also recognize my duty as a senator to either vote in support or opposition to that nominee following a fair and thorough hearing along with a complete and transparent release of all requested information," he continued. "The Senate’s role in providing advice and consent is as important and significant as the president’s role in proposing a nominee."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mark-kirk-supreme-court-scalia--2

Now, you still need 13 more to get past Cruz's inevitable filibuster (which is probably not happening), but it's very useful ammo for the Democrats in bashing Republicans over this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

The first GOP Senator up for re-election this year has cracked and defected:
Your turncoatness is not going to save you, Kirk, you pathetic pandering patsy.

Just for thread edification: Kirk was a Republican wave elected R senator in Illinois who only won because of the milquetoast Dem option and scandal-plagued Blagojevich admin anti-coattails (and barely won at that, 48-46). He's running against America's sweetheart wounded Gulf War vet Tammy Duckworth.

I somehow got subscribed to his email list and watching the sharp left turn he's done since 2015 compared to what came before is amusing as poo poo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Oh no Biden said Bush should wait till after the campaign season to nominate someone :ohdear:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Democrats have never outright rejected even the possibility of having nominations out of hand.

In the video, Biden says that the Senate committee should not even consider anyone nominated until after the election is over.

which is practically the same as the current meme from the GOP side that Obama shouldn't bother nominating anyone

and weasel, I didn't argue it was right. I was arguing against partisans treating two similar situations completely differently depending on who was in power. whether Its Biden in 92 or, to a lesser extent, Reid/Obama in 07/08, both parties are obnoxiously partisan, and seemingly at their worst when it comes to judicial nominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Arkane posted:

In the video, Biden says that the Senate committee should not even consider anyone nominated until after the election is over.

which is practically the same as the current meme from the GOP side that Obama shouldn't bother nominating anyone

and weasel, I didn't argue it was right. I was arguing against partisans treating two similar situations completely differently depending on who was in power. whether Its Biden in 92 or, to a lesser extent, Reid/Obama in 07/08, both parties are obnoxiously partisan, and seemingly at their worst when it comes to judicial nominations.
You don't see any difference between the 1992 situation and today? Like, not even the fact that it's coming from the majority leader today, as opposed to just some guy?

• Locked thread