Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I'm actually doing a research paper about healer viability in FFXIV Patch 3.15 - here's a small excerpt from the paper, available in next months Nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This may reveal that I'm bad with my class, but I always keep Fracture up. Is that the wrong way to WAR?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

UpfrontSalmon posted:

Can someone make a Belzac soundboard (postboard?) where we can just have random/generic Belzac hatebile spewed at everyone that posts in this thread?

Not quite what you were asking for, but have this anyway.

seiferguy posted:

Unironically agreeing with a Belzac post.

For some reason, AST attracts the worst kind of players. Whenever I try to run a DR, I try to get at least one other person and split tank / healing because god help me if I have to deal with a crappy AST healer that never uses cards or DPSes.

The great thing about leveling AST is half the time you wind up in dungeons where you can't use cards anyway. Up until Haukke (I think the cap is 30 in Haukke, I haven't gotten it recently), AST plays basically as a lovely WHM with some really weird design decisions. (Malefic is Stone II and is level 1, Stella is Stone and is level 24 or something.) It's not hard to wind up at level 50 while only barely having ever played content when you even can use the cards.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GlitchThief posted:

This may reveal that I'm bad with my class, but I always keep Fracture up. Is that the wrong way to WAR?
The joke is that people used to crossclass it... and then use that as an excuse to not put on their job stone so they could keep access to it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

Fracture controversy was about if it was worth cross classing it and iirc it's a resounding 'no' post heavensward

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The joke is that people used to crossclass it... and then use that as an excuse to not put on their job stone so they could keep access to it.

:vince:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

Fracture controversy was about if it was worth cross classing it and iirc it's a resounding 'no' post heavensward
It's still worth it for monk, for pretty much the same reasons too. It allows you to fill in a GCD so you can clip Demolish less, and unlike a lot of other jobs the potency on Fracture is not lower than their regular abilities.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
No the joke was that it was worthwhile for Monk and Paladin (and sometimes dragoon) to cross class it but often people would not cross class it cause it was too difficult to press one more button in their rotation. People would fight super hard to defend why they wouldn't use fracture which all came out as "wahhhhhh i dun wanna".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just gonna play explosion mage now and only cast Flare.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So, basically the real joke is that Belzac wont shut up about how everyone needs to min/max in what is a pretty casual MMO where that isnt even necessary?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jellycat posted:

I'm just going to sit here and remember every time I've overwritten AST shields with Adlo + Deployment Tactics.
Why play a healer class that's flexible when you're not going to adjust to the situation :doh:

Something, something, neuroplasticity something? :shrug: I dunno. If putting stoneskin on the tank just as the last mob dies and then dropping a Nocturnal shield as they run towards the next pack so they can pull to their little heart's content while you take advantage of not drawing aggro as a result to switch back to regens isn't something that someone'd think of, maybe AST isn't for that person.

I agree that it takes a certain amount of imagination to play, but the people that think 'Nocturnal comes later, therefore clearly it's the better stance and what you're supposed to use to the exclusion of everything else' bewilders me, too. :doh: (For the record, if you're alone or paired with a WHM, throw out shields in between fights, and then switch back to regen before the fight starts. (loving autocorrect that's the second goddamn time) The 5% spell speed translates into the margin you want to drop into Cleric Stance right after dropping HoTs, fire a few hardcasted Gravity or Malefic II, then pop back to top people off.)

Edit: And I don't think it needs to be said, but STAY THE gently caress AWAY FROM NOCTURNAL IF YOU'RE PAIRED WITH A SCHOLAR. Their shields kick your shields' rear end, because they can crit for quad shielding, and you can work around them, not the other way around.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 22, 2016

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
Stay away from Nocturnal even if you're paired with a White Mage.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So AST is a lovely WHM combined with a lovely SCH?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

No AST is a WHM with slightly worse MP regen/healing utility that brings more other utility or a really bad SCH.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

CoffeeBooze posted:

So, basically the real joke is that Belzac wont shut up about how everyone needs to min/max in what is a pretty casual MMO where that isnt even necessary?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Fracture for PLD 50 is great because it isn't doing the 1-2-3 combo over and over again

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Smart Car posted:

No AST is a WHM with slightly worse MP regen/healing utility that brings more other utility or a really bad SCH.

Well, LA is getting a buff tonight, soooooo....

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Why would a Dragoon cross-class Fracture? They have an ability that's the same thing as Fracture but better.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
I would have really liked AST to have the same healing range as WHM. I don't think mana was a huge problem but I won't turn it away. The slightly better Shuffle is cool too I guess.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Augus posted:

Why would a Dragoon cross-class Fracture? They have an ability that's the same thing as Fracture but better.
There used to be a specific edge case where it was worth using while Blood for Blood was up but its duration was no longer long enough for another full combo, then you could use Fracture to do slightly more damage overall. With the new Heavensward skills I'm pretty sure it's no longer worth doing though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

They stack.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Augus posted:

Because at the time they could (with enough SkS) have enough dead time to fit in a global. If they just continued their rotation they'd clip everything a global early. By weaving in a Fracture they pushed their rotation back out to the proper amount of globals for a net gain of dps. Now DRG is just hosed cause you clip CT like crazy and you can't do anything about it without a net loss of dps.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Belzac posted:

Now DRG is just hosed cause you clip CT like crazy and you can't do anything about it without a net loss of dps.

Agreed. Just delete the class, it's beyond repair. Not even fracture can save it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

jellycat posted:

I'm just going to sit here and remember every time I've overwritten AST shields with Adlo + Deployment Tactics.
Why play a healer class that's flexible when you're not going to adjust to the situation :doh:

I think half the ASTs DF has paired me with have been in Noct sect. My poor crit adlos.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 22, 2016

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
Dropping Cleric Stance'd Gravity bombs/Holy/Bane is cool as heck. Healers who don't DPS are WEIRD.

Xenoveritas posted:

THANK YOU. From the Belzac post generator:

"Sorry, thread from then? Well I'm not the start! BiS now they're fun for maybe that's like PvP from Koji has ever be completely 0 level 50. Remember when your 5% weaker than facts or may not been to master the average it can stop SpaceDrake early he'll drown us in which makes up 1 hour Diadem grind it moves you finally escape it won't make the boss. Sorry, thread a really do savage first example Monk armor for adding reasons to raid tier has turned from what everyone was many many of gear."

I don't know why the part I bolded makes me laugh hard but :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Belzac posted:

Fishing has this game. It's pretty easily be 10 crafted drac pots. Let's see on Darkside I'M STILL HAVING FUN!

Yep, legit

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Truga posted:

I'm just gonna play explosion mage now and only cast Flare.

Would still be more DPS than an ice mage :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

UpfrontSalmon posted:

Dropping Cleric Stance'd Gravity bombs/Holy/Bane is cool as heck. Healers who don't DPS are WEIRD.

Yeah, non-DPSing healers are basically like "Did anyone die? You can thank me for that :smug: " as if that's a goddamn accomplishment. Keeping people alive is easy. And I probably die more times to non-DPSing healers because they get too complacent. Nothing seems to make me more angry than the white mage battle stance of doing nothing just waitin' for that tank's health to drop below 80% to cast that cure 2.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I thought Nocturnal shields had been buffed significantly since 3.0? Or is it still objectively worse as a full time buff than Diurnal?

I did like that AST was the only class to get a straight up nerf in 3.2 (in PVP, because being able to spam healing and shields while moving was making people salty).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

I thought Nocturnal shields had been buffed significantly since 3.0? Or is it still objectively worse as a full time buff than Diurnal?

It's worse because Noct shields and SCH shields don't stack, and the SCH has no choice but to use their shields. Until that is addressed Noct will remain subpar because SCH's are better (and AST's are more WHM than SCH.)

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

On paper the shielding strength of a SCH and Nocturnal AST is pretty similar, though the AST lacks Deployment Tactics to spread their single strong shield to multiple targets. The problem is that in addition to the shields the SCH has much better MP regeneration than an AST (It's a much more stark difference than between WHM and AST), and the SCH also has one key thing that ASTs lack: The fairy. The fairy heals actually fill a very similar niche to what regen effects do, increasing the buffer time you have where you can continue doing other things without having to directly heal certain people, shields do do this as well but are noticeably weaker at it since the total shielding of one shield only really comes close to the total effect of any single target regen spell on a critical Adloquium, because a critical Adloquium shields for twice the amount it heals, something which Nocturnal AST doesn't get for Aspected Benefic.

So on a tank for instance, the SCH fairy will do a lot of work to heal the auto-attack damage a boss does, for Diurnal AST and WHM Aspected Benefic and Regen fill this role. The Nocturnal AST on the other hand no option but to heal that damage themselves. This makes it so that of all the healers, the Nocturnal AST has the least GCDs to spare on doing things that aren't tank healing.

And yeah, there's also the technical issue that if you do have both a SCH and a Nocturnal AST in the group the shields will always overwrite one another, no matter which heal was stronger. If the SCH were to crit an Adloquium the AST could overwrite it with Aspected Helios, and vice versa with Aspected Benefic and Succor.

E: A Nocturnal AST does technically have one thing over a SCH in the form of regular Helios; SCH is always cooldown limited on its non-shield AoE heals. The problem there of course is that if that's what you want, you'd be better off being a Diurnal AST because Aspected Helios is basically a shorter range Medica II.

Of course having said all of the above, for some encounters if you have a WHM and AST your only choice might be having those shields or dying. But if you don't need the shields, you should really be in Diurnal. And if you have two ASTs you do want to both be in different stances, because unlike WHMs two Diurnal ASTs don't have their regen effects play nicely together.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 22, 2016

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The LA, Ewer, and Shuffle changes to AST should at least bring the mana side of it in line with everyone else. I still doubt I'd enjoy weaving healing / dps on one compared to being WHM or SCH though. Things like Assize/Indom/Fairy/Holy/Bane are simply enormous still.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Xenoveritas posted:

This is probably going to get old quick but

quote:

No. They're so easy. I'm just hoping that Paladin has...flash? Remember when your MMQ this issue. Now we must all levels of our casuals go? Basically the vit won't make Thal's Balls a thing cause they're done an actual only enjoy this much like it. A PTR wasn't a less confusing job. Basically: :gitgud: It's ok because based phases cannot be poo poo post at launch has a social meta of my sister I need to master the new job in addition of 3.2 trailer!! Fluff class can stop running Roulette not do mechanics" at probably be about the gender of MCH that ruins this on Japan's top 100 games except the radical swings you like?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've got all my 210 fending jewelry ready to go. Hopefully the damage nerf isn't too bad when things go live. All HW content to date is going to be silly with so much HP. A war at full 210 with defiance on goes to over 30k hp with thrill up solo. I hope the tankbusters hit really hard otherwise tanking is going to get a lot more dull.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've got all my 210 fending jewelry ready to go. Hopefully the damage nerf isn't too bad when things go live. All HW content to date is going to be silly with so much HP. A war at full 210 with defiance on goes to over 30k hp with thrill up solo. I hope the tankbusters hit really hard otherwise tanking is going to get a lot more dull.

Tank stances are getting their enmity generation buffed. I'm guessing that's not a great sign.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Question: I've heard that some big changes have been made to how tanks use their stats, so should I reallocate all my bonus points into Vit now?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meldonox posted:

Tank stances are getting their enmity generation buffed. I'm guessing that's not a great sign.

I did a singularity reactor last night in full fending and was doing around 800 dps as a MT war. We'll see when the patch goes live just how badly they nerfed it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Question: I've heard that some big changes have been made to how tanks use their stats, so should I reallocate all my bonus points into Vit now?

Probably but wait for folks to crunch numbers when the servers are up.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Both Strength and Vitality will now contribute to Attack Power for Tanks, but they obviously haven't gone in to specifics on the ratios. So yeah, just hold off for now. Or don't. Honestly, it's not like 35 VIT over 35 STR and vice versa is going to make a huge splash either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yes you should go full to vit. They have said that strength will still play a role in tank damage, but vit will be their primary damage stat now.

• Locked thread