Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/46d0hl/true_dollar_value_of_preorder_packages/

Here is a breakdown of the 'value' of the packs.

Jimlit,

If you already know you are going to buy a bunch of cosmetics, I'd say the $50 or $100 COULD be worth it. It also depends on how much value you give to the headstart.

If you don't know if you are going to buy cosmetics, I'd say the $30 is the smart choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i am also biased because I have bought overpriced packs and seen other goons buy overpriced packs when they didn't get much out of them

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
solid guide - http://blackdesertfoundry.com/2016/02/16/starterlaunch-guide/

the only thing I think may be wrong is the autorun thing

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eonwe posted:

i am also biased because I have bought overpriced packs and seen other goons buy overpriced packs when they didn't get much out of them
Premium packs are always, always garbage.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm gonna do the $100 pack because I'd probably end up buying the currency anyways, and what they provide is pretty nice.

I figure even if I don't mess with the cosmetics that much, the currency might come in handy when they release a paid expansion or whatever.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Eonwe posted:

Buy the $30 pack so you have an extra $70 on hand to invest in Star Citizen ships.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Probad posted:

Buy the $30 pack so you have an extra $70 on hand to invest in Star Citizen ships.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I don't think that autorun loops did work in CBT2, though I didn't test for them. Re: preorder chat - in my opinion, $50 is the least value pack, in a sense, if you just want to play the game and have no particular plans regarding it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Probad posted:

This is too long for a thread title, right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm gonna do the $100 pack because I'd probably end up buying the currency anyways, and what they provide is pretty nice.

I figure even if I don't mess with the cosmetics that much, the currency might come in handy when they release a paid expansion or whatever.
Paid expansions are statistically less likely than this game dethroning World of Warcraft once and for all.

Jackard posted:

Premium packs are always, always garbage.
Dae LTI tho?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
15 dollars for a horse whistle. By Grithok's Hammer... what a savings.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Eonwe posted:

solid guide - http://blackdesertfoundry.com/2016/02/16/starterlaunch-guide/

the only thing I think may be wrong is the autorun thing

This is really good.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Are the character slots listed in the preorder lists total slots or additional slots?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Horse whistle, to be honest, is probably the least convenient thing of anything offered by any pack.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LegalPad posted:

Are the character slots listed in the preorder lists total slots or additional slots?

Added slots on top of the base 4. So if you pre-order, you will have 5 slots at the $30 tier, 6 at the $50 and 7 at the $100.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

LegalPad posted:

Additional. Everyone gets four as a baseline.

futile
May 18, 2009
Remember when choosing your pre-order that cats/dogs/birds are super convenient in this game and you really want to have them.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
the $100 pack is clearly Best Value lmao

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

futile posted:

Remember when choosing your pre-order that cats/dogs/birds are super convenient in this game and you really want to have them.

Also that if you want 3 tier 3 cats you will invest a minimum of $350.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Quake posted:

Also that if you want 3 tier 3 cats you will invest a minimum of $350.
Actually, maximum of $108.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what does a high tier cat get you, lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just looked it up, thats a lot of money for basically nothing

futile
May 18, 2009
So grinding mobs is a standard part of this game. You will grind a metric fuckton of mobs, especially once you hit the softcap. The mobs drop a lot of items and it is annoying and time consuming to loot these items. In most cases once you get good at your class and start aoe clearing really fast you can actually kill faster than you can loot. Therefore if you have pets that loot for you it increases your grinding speed by a ton, like 2x+

futile
May 18, 2009
Or maybe I just really like birds

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, basically you pay to loot stuff. It's really pretty tho.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Oh no fuckin' wonder I couldn't get some affinity quests.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eonwe posted:

what does a high tier cat get you, lmao
Looting each 2.5 seconds and different statistical weights on skills.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Visidan posted:

the $100 pack is clearly Best Value lmao
well yea, the math shows it to be a $100+ savings!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I just realized that the number calculations here are a bit flawed, because they assume the base game on its own is $30 when even post-release copies of the game will include extras which are normally sold (e.g. a housing coupon, a token to change character appearance etc.). The base game is essentially free, you're just forced to buy certain set bundles worth at least $30 (well, $30.50) to get it.

Assuming you were going to buy everything at current market price anyway:

Traveler edition post-release you save 51 cents. :toot:
Traveler edition purchased before Friday saves you $6.51.
Explorer edition post-release saves you $19.51. (pay an extra $20 to get an extra $39 of stuff compared to the post-release Traveler Edition)
Explorer edition pre-release saves you $40.51 (although the weapon skin is pre-order exclusive and this assumes it's "worth" $9) - pay an extra $20 to get an extra $34 of stuff compared to the post-release Traveler Edition)
Conqueror pack is only available until Friday (SKU won't exist after that) and saves $82.01 (although the weapon and armor skins are pre-order exclusive and this assumes they're "worth" $32) - pay an extra $70 to get an extra $146 of stuff compared to the Traveler Edition pre-order, or an extra $50 to get an extra $92 worth of stuff over the Explorer edition pre-release.

univbee fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 22, 2016

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The game has basically monetized area looting? Is there no other way to get these pets other than to pay real money?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dukka posted:

well yea, the math shows it to be a $100+ savings!!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

univbee posted:

I just realized that the number calculations here are a bit flawed, because they assume the base game on its own is $30 when even post-release copies of the game will include extras which are normally sold (e.g. a housing coupon, a token to change character appearance etc.). The base game is essentially free, you're just forced to buy certain set bundles worth at least $30 (well, $30.50) to get it.

Explorer edition post-release saves you $19.51.
Explorer edition pre-release saves you $40.51 (although the weapon skin is pre-order exclusive and this assumes it's "worth" $9)
Conqueror pack is only available until Friday (SKU won't exist after that) and saves $82.01 (although the weapon and armor skins are pre-order exclusive and this assumes they're "worth" $32)

Essentially not only is it free but you're paid a wage to play it. Some of these packs are such good value i'm going to need to declare a second income to "the man"

Xavier434 posted:

The game is basically monetized area looting? Is there no other way to get these pets other than to pay real money?

have you ever played a korean mmo before

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

univbee posted:

Explorer edition post-release saves you $19.51.
Explorer edition pre-release saves you $40.51 (although the weapon skin is pre-order exclusive and this assumes it's "worth" $9)
Conqueror pack is only available until Friday (SKU won't exist after that) and saves $82.01 (although the weapon and armor skins are pre-order exclusive and this assumes they're "worth" $32)
Source your quotes.

Xavier434 posted:

The game has basically monetized area looting? Is there no other way to get these pets other than to pay real money?
Yea, cash or bust.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Are pets account or character bound?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Going for the $100 one cause I'm rich as gently caress and don't sweat $100 cosmetic bird whistles.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Are pets account or character bound?
Account, so possibly server-bound, depending on how it ends up being.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Source your quotes.
Yea, cash or bust.

2 minutes of Excel. You'd be a fool not to buy in at these prices! We should all get multiple accounts, too. :retrogames:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

univbee posted:

2 minutes of Excel. You'd be a fool not to buy in at these prices! We should all get multiple accounts, too. :retrogames:
Hold on, I still chug acid from my acid cup, eyes glossing over $30.50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Visidan posted:

have you ever played a korean mmo before

Yes, several but this is the first game that I played where area looting was locked behind the cash shop.