Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I just want to point out that bens hands are on backwards. This is the most notable thing about star citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

RabbitWizard posted:

o9

0.001 hours thinking "hey a word cloud of this thread would be nice"
0.5 hours waiting to download all pages
0.25 hours cleaning up html files that only the text in posts and quotes remains
1.0 hours trying to find a wordcloud-generator that can deal with a lot of text without crashing browser/application
0.75 hours looking for a way to just count the appearances of words to get the top 500 or something and reduce filesize

I learned a lot, but give up for today. One webpage and OpenOffice are still frozen trying to open the file. If anyone is interested to continue before I'll get to it in "a while", here's all the text goons produced on the first 2067 pages in a 17MB text file (posts in non-specific order).
http://starbutt.hol.es/outputfile.txt

With this data, we can automate the Star Citizen thread. First run of the Markov bot:

"HATERS GONNA HATE!" STAR CITIZEN will be like Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me genuinely wants this game once every 5 minutes of goatse and it'd have been reading this message You need a picture of a true believer.
ps: No, she's neither fluent in French, the interviewer really really hate it to me that dream for more than one occasion?
Kung Fury I actually made money on the subject." developed much video games?
So was this broken piece-of-poo poo alpha 4 years and $93m.
[16:59] WeshaTheLeopard: I did that one unit is one of the most approachable games out there, honest.) look closely at who she was, and now we know you weren't around to the cross of his scalp.
LET ME loving FINISH!
Oct 26, 2015 Yeah, I guess that's nice.
Is it at 6.5%) of what ships can be rendered, and fake names though, I haven't read a comment like this year's the year.
The 64 bit would there be controls to disconnect and put them out at once - the memes alone from cadmium poisoning before the day it will make me wonder where the Constellation while we gather data.
"Derek Smart's a self-centered man hoping for notoriety whose defamatory eruptions reach burlesque levels." CanardPC I wonder what's the point?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A Neurotic Jew posted:

probably 10ftc next week, then.

I predict a backlash from subscribers over AtV somehow having even less content now.

Unfortunately, they've already deleted their best fan content: The Sickening and Heartbreaking Truths of the Fourth Stimpire.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ZenMaster posted:

Serious post:

Good for you Beer, it was all the Ben talk in this thread that made me make the jump to a healthier lifestyle change. Started walking with the wife, eating more veggies than anything else during meals, or just not going back in for a second round. My wife is doing the same and that helps a lot (should we stop for a burger? No? Ok, babe...), she has always been thin, but as we age, it gets harder to stay that way. And being thin isn't an indication of overall health anyway. I got a buddy who is rail thin and has super high cholesterol cause he eats like garbage.

I don't mind being a little hungry, but my danger zone is evenings after dinner. I can easily have dinner and go right into snacking (popcorn, ice cream, cookies, whatever) which is not a good idea cause you just sleep and store all that junk up.

Easier just to not have that stuff around and grab some Smart Pop and water while watching a show. A quick banana or a slice of wheat bread to fill up the stomach if I get hungry between meals (or a bowl of high fiber cereal and low fat milk). I go for volume during the day to fill up (eat a ton of low cal stuff to stave off major hunger)and try to drink as much water as possible because sometimes a "hungry" feeling is simply being thirsty.. it's weird but true.

Ben, sounds like you are trying, but like anything, flee from temptation, even if that means quitting CIG!

Thanks for this.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pleasantly terrifying.

Thank you. I have little to offer Goondom but my voice.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

grimcreaper posted:

I love the library of babel. the concept is incredible to say the least.

The simple fact that the entire knowledge of man kind... The entire Has Been and Will Be of humanity, has been written out within the Library of Babel, is so amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDrBIKOR01c&t=1025s for the idea on how it works.

Whoa that thing breaks so many copyright laws

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

:laffo:

I didn't realize that Shitizens literally used the phrase "don't understand how development works." I know they paraphrase it all the time, but seeing it literally in print is extra special.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

things are real bad when this dude is starting to catch on.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

A Neurotic Jew posted:

probably 10ftc next week, then.

I predict a backlash from subscribers over AtV somehow having even less content now.

Thank god theres is more open development pabulum coming soon. This thread might stop eating its own for a bit. At this point I think goons get more out of CIGs media output than the cultists do

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I made sure to send them some DMCA notices for anything matching Crob's writings o9

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Agreed, he is sycophant numero uno on there so this is pretty funny

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That is the first post i've seen from him that's not whiteknighting cig. He posts in every critical thread too so I've seen a lot

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Galarox posted:

Problem: CIG is not releasing anything parpworthy. I rather wonder & suspect that they have focus groups or whatever (using backer money?) who have told them that SA is dictating the narative, eg: Pgabz takes the piss out of the awful Freelancer cockpit letterbox viewhole thing, and lo and behold, next patch it's slightly larger. Now let's not all get swelled heads, CIG have and are killing through moderator control/bans any kind of discussion of SC shortcomings on the RSI forums. By doing this they are achieveing two things: alienating a small but significant number of backers who have decided to come here because we have free speech & giving an illusion to the outside world that eveything is fine, nothing to see here. SA has effectively taken the interwebs high ground, shooting down at the joke that is SC - there can be few regular RSI forum posters who are not aware of Goons Taking The Piss. CIG solution: diminish news/content release. They have realised (from watching the thread) that if they stay silent that we eat ourselves on slow news days/weeks... months... and end up circlejerking about Bens weight or other irrelevant poo poo. Remember that we are - to borrow a highbrow term - speaking truth to power. None of the regular news outlets are willing to be the first to jump: as has been pointed out ad infinitum on previous pages of the thread the games journalists will not, until it is blindingly obvious, dare to do any kind of hit piece on SC.

Solution: Post Catte pics, recipies, silly vids (looking at you Pgabz) hosed about with classic art, etc. We need to generate content like they can't while we wait for them to produce their lovely content for us to mock

at least, that's what I "think".

:agreed: :yeah: :same:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

THE COMM-LINK SCHEDULE

Monday, February 22nd
- [1500 PST / 2300 UTC] 10 for the Developers: Episode 06 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Tuesday, February 23rd
- Jump Point Rerun

Wednesday, February 24th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] February Subscriber Edition Reverse the Verse w/ Writers - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity
- Vault Update

Thursday, February 25th
- [1200 PST / 2000 UTC] Around the Verse: Episode 2.20 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Friday, February 26th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] Reverse the Verse: The Community Team's Weekly Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

{robably 10ftc next week, then.

Look at all that content! So much open development! WHY ARE YOU WORTHLESS FUCKS NOT CONTENT WITH NO LESS THAN FOUR VIDEOS? Sure 2.2 is delayed for internal testing and in spite of promising monthly updates we're still stuck in whatever development hell has prevented us from delivering a single loving thing BUT LOOK MORE FUNNY VIDEOS ABOUT BUGS!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Berious posted:

Thank god theres is more open development pabulum coming soon. This thread might stop eating its own for a bit. At this point I think goons get more out of CIGs media output than the cultists do
to be fair, going from the last couple months of 2015 to the first couple months of 2016 is like going on a carb-free diet

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Star Citizen: The very idea makes me laugh loudly

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

BMan posted:

[16:59] WeshaTheLeopard:
Oct 26, 2015

gently caress me, i didn't notice that, that shouldn't be in there. Well, as soon as a way is found to even handle that data i will generate a new file.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Yeah, I probably should have added something about why it was notable. I loved seeing those lessons not learned from the Wing Commander movie about scope being brought up and not being instantly dismissed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look at all that content! So much open development! WHY ARE YOU WORTHLESS FUCKS NOT CONTENT WITH NO LESS THAN FOUR VIDEOS? Sure 2.2 is delayed for internal testing and in spite of promising monthly updates we're still stuck in whatever development hell has prevented us from delivering a single loving thing BUT LOOK MORE FUNNY VIDEOS ABOUT BUGS!

I'm content waiting a while for 2.2 because of all the awesome new gameplay content it's sure to contain

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

imperialparadox posted:

:laffo:

I didn't realize that Shitizens literally used the phrase "don't understand how development works." I know they paraphrase it all the time, but seeing it literally in print is extra special.

Cba to find the post but mods over there locked a thread for not understanding game development. That was literally a reason for the lock. Think it was the big star marine shitstorm thread

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I agree as well.
And I do agree about not getting swollen heads, but as a guy who sees funny stuff being made and makes poo poo as well, I notice it. On a personal note I see one of my vids get hits then a subscriber joins from Cryengine (or an affiliate, not sure) or similar and lo and behold CIG come up with a sort of, kind of response, and well, there is a pattern to it.
I may notice this because I am making daft vids, or it may be coincidence, I am not sure and don't really care either way as long as fun is had.
I've really noticed though their kind of, sort of shots back at people like us what with the sudden 'Versebusters' bullshit and 'Which Glitch' - it feels like they are toothlessly trying to hit back, now the thing that makes this funny to me is that like a couple of hundred people 'get it' and the other thousands are just thinking 'wtf is this poo poo why are they laughing at the glitches?'

It's really badly aimed and loving hilarious to me but I do believe it's a thing that is happening for sure.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

I agree as well.
And I do agree about not getting swollen heads, but as a guy who sees funny stuff being made and makes poo poo as well, I notice it. On a personal note I see one of my vids get hits then a subscriber joins from Cryengine (or an affiliate, not sure) or similar and lo and behold CIG come up with a sort of, kind of response, and well, there is a pattern to it.
I may notice this because I am making daft vids, or it may be coincidence, I am not sure and don't really care either way as long as fun is had.
I've really noticed though their kind of, sort of shots back at people like us what with the sudden 'Versebusters' bullshit and 'Which Glitch' - it feels like they are toothlessly trying to hit back, now the thing that makes this funny to me is that like a couple of hundred people 'get it' and the other thousands are just thinking 'wtf is this poo poo why are they laughing at the glitches?'

It's really badly aimed and loving hilarious to me but I do believe it's a thing that is happening for sure.

no you honestly have influenced star citizen development from your silly vids, and thats hilarious

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Berious posted:

Cba to find the post but mods over there locked a thread for not understanding game development. That was literally a reason for the lock. Think it was the big star marine shitstorm thread

Mirificus posted:

Speaking of not knowing how game development works:

Thread closed for not understanding game development

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

I agree as well.

It's a weird feeling when you realize a hundred million dollar company can be actively swayed by some random stranger on the Internet.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

no you honestly have influenced star citizen development from your silly vids, and thats hilarious

Whether it's true or not it doesn't matter, what does matter is they changed the size of the windows after that vid (I am 100% sure that was a coincidence) and that allowed me to tell the whales to stfu and that CIG agree with me and not them - fact :lol:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
CIG i have some good ideas for your game, honest

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a weird feeling when you realize a hundred million dollar company can be actively swayed by some random stranger on the Internet.

It helps that they are irredeemable idiots

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

It helps that they are irredeemable idiots

Only the ones in charge.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:psyduck:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Only the ones in charge.

Yeah, true, I have never knocked any of the artists or behind the scenes guys, I don't know enough about them for one and I do think they are just trying their best.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This happens every year. CIG goes all out with content (and hilarity) during the November/December timeframe, and then magically when the new year happens there is nothing to talk about for months. When that happens the thread inevitably descends into badposting and talking about stupid poo poo... like how lovely the thread is.

People make fun of Ben because he's an easy target. I don't like it (and personally I try to avoid it), but he is the face of CIG and what little content we do have typically involves him to some extent. We could make fun of him for being a liar or a sycophant, but all of that ground is well tread. We could make fun of Dolvak for being a spineless coward, but that has run its course as well. We could make fun of Sandi being a callous narcissist who thrives on the misery of others, but there's only so many times you can be astounded at how truly terrible a person is before you lose interest. We could be making fun of Star Citizen but what's the point? Goons thrive on novelty and at this point Ben struggling to get off a couch and Dolvak running with his tail between his legs is the closest thing we have to something new. Nothing is going to change unless CIG reveals something new and interesting.

As for helping the "perception of this thread" who the gently caress cares? We're Goons, we're horrible people, and frankly giving a poo poo about what a bench of self-entitled spaceship addicts thinks of us is a terrible idea.

All I'll say is I'm not advocating for giving a gently caress what those addicts think. That's not it.

I agree with the larger point though. Thank you for the well thought out and reasoned response.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

I post about the thread being bad because it is, and thats basically what I've always done

it was bad when people here though star citizen was good
it was good when people thought star citizen was bad and funny things were happening
its bad now that people think that star citizen is bad and funny things aren't happening

pgbaz aside

Gorf and AP have made many good posts with good points and I treasure their contributions.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Some subreddit is ripping itself to shreds because of shitposting on another forum and a story they remember reading about someones mining ship being blown up 6 years ago by people who don't give a poo poo about SC.

Makes you think.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Whether it's true or not it doesn't matter, what does matter is they changed the size of the windows after that vid (I am 100% sure that was a coincidence) and that allowed me to tell the whales to stfu and that CIG agree with me and not them - fact :lol:

Another eg of goons dictating the narative is the instabans on anything related to (a) Stimpire and (b) Commando

edited to add and (c) parp

Galarox fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 22, 2016

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

spacetoaster posted:

Oh you must be fat. :colbert:

Like John Candy ate Chris Farley levels my man. Family car is a U Haul. Its a healthy lifestyle I lead.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

peter gabriel posted:

In a sense you've sort of become a Star Citizen dev, which by CIG law gives us the right to say people who don't like your videos don't understand game development

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tippis posted:

gently caress.

I need to step up my game and learn to actually make enough money to afford something that doesn't go *splat* the instant something farts in its direction, and then I need to start ramming whatever that is into these encounters.

No Elite pro (i'm barely a month in) but i'm getting good results with this :

Cobra III, half free internals in armor boosters and the other half shield and shield cell banks. 2 fixed medium multicannons and beam laser for the 2 small hardpoints. Go with D or C fittings except for shields and the power distributors that can be B. Your not going to solo Condas and Pythons for fun but you can still shoot mans for cheap.

Most A grade Internals are not worth it unless your alredy swimming in money. For the Cobra III a 4B shield will give you 116 MJ of protection for 500k cr, 4A shields give you 124 MJ for 1,6M cr. That extra half second of shield for 1,1M wont save you if your already in the deep end.

One of the popular PVP meta seem to be space submarine warfare. Run silent and sneak up close, bust shields with beams and then double torpedo in the rear end. Unprepared or badly fitted ships goes *pop* in a single pass.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

I know I've increased my trolling, flailing you might say, in the face of Star Citizen's undeniable delivery and success

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Solomonic posted:

In a sense you've sort of become a Star Citizen dev, which by CIG law gives us the right to say people who don't like your videos don't understand game development

Holy poo poo you are right.
Just don't blame me for Star Marine

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thanks for this.

Sure. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lol they think we care about dereks game

derek is likely plugging his game to the SC crowd because they are the dumbest people alive at the moment

• Locked thread