Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Z3n posted:

I'll defend the versys as a very cheerful, fun bike

But Multistrada 1000/1100s are a hoot and totally great bikes that can be had for cheap. Budget 4-5k for the bike and 3k in maintenance and it'll be great. Multistrada is still relatively a standard but I'm thinking that you don't want something in the style of a standard but the ergonomics of a standard is just fine, unless I miss the mark.

It's also worth pointing out that you posted 2 triumph triples, 2 twins, and a single. Figuring out the details of what you want out of the bike might be a good choice, as something like a Street Triple might be a better choice than any of the above for you. Post a couple of ads for different bikes with what you like and don't like about them, and we can form much more detailed recommendations for you.

There is a kawasaki and other mototcycle dealership near me so I'll go visit in a couple of days so I can sit on the Versys and other motorcycles of the same type.

As for the multistrada craiglist has one for sale. I only like it for the single side swingarm. :shrug: Also yes I want a bike with standard ergonomics but its not a standard motorcycle, hence why I kinda want a sport touring, small ADV, small dual sport, etc.

I don't care what type of engine a motorcycle has, I know each of them behave in different and often drastic manner but I havent develop a like or a dislike to a particular engine set up. For what's worth all I had so far have been inline 4 cylinder motorcycles. My first motorcycle was a naked bike and I disliked the sensation of feeling like a sail on speeds above 80mph, which disqualifies naked bikes and probably supermoto bikes from my list. Don't get me wrong though, the street triple is a good motorcycle, supermotos are also good fun motorcycles, they are sadly my cup of tea. As for what I like/dislike:

The F800GS and F700GS - What I like about these bikes is that they offer a lot of creature comforts, safety options, somewhat good aftermarket options, the 800 is better at some offroading while the 700 is more street oriented. The downside is that they are expensive and while I can do some basic maintenance, everything else would need to be done by an actual mechanic and that is also expensive.
The Tiger 800 - A little bit cheaper but with less creature comforts and safety features. Also I have no idea how reliable or dependable this bikes are or how cheap/expensive their maintenance is.
The Versys 650 - The cheapest option as I could potentially buy a new 2015 Versys 650 LT model for what the 2013 F800GS costs. The downside is that its the most barebones of them all and the 650 engine might be a little too anemic for my taste.

TL;DR - I am a manchild that loves gadgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

The F800GS and F700GS - What I like about these bikes is that they offer a lot of creature comforts, safety options, somewhat good aftermarket options, the 800 is better at some offroading while the 700 is more street oriented. The downside is that they are expensive and while I can do some basic maintenance, everything else would need to be done by an actual mechanic and that is also expensive.

If you're going to pay other people to do work on your bike, you do not in any way, shape or form want a beemer. Not only are they expensive to work on, but they're not a particularly reliable or easy to maintain brand and need a lot of upkeep.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh Germany. Will the stereotypes about your engineering ethic ever not be true?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you're going to pay other people to do work on your bike, you do not in any way, shape or form want a beemer. Not only are they expensive to work on, but they're not a particularly reliable or easy to maintain brand and need a lot of upkeep.

I don't know where you're getting this. I've owned two BMWs now that have been nothing but reliable. Anywhere from 17deg F to 105 deg F, 0ft to 14kft, they've always performed admirably. And with nothing more than routine maintenance (oil every 6k, valve checks every other oil change) and tires. If ElMaligno is planning on buying new, they come with a 3 year, 36k mi warranty. The place where I bought mine services everything from Victory to Moto Guzzis, shop time costs the same for every make.

I also recall that the 800 series rotax engines are pretty well-respected. It's kind of a weird design as it's a 360 degree parallel twin with a balance shaft. But it produces a very linear power response with an absolutely flat torque curve.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kuffs posted:

I don't know where you're getting this.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/motorcycle-reliability-and-owner-satisfaction/index.htm

quote:

The place where I bought mine services everything from Victory to Moto Guzzis, shop time costs the same for every make.

That's all well and good, except that most jobs on a BMW will take twice the billable labour hours vs. a lot of other brands because they appear incapable of designing things to be easily accessed, so he'd still pay more than for a lot of other brands. (Which I find hilarious since my BMW car is the easiest car to work on that I've ever owned.)

And at a 10k budget, he's definitely not buying new.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Who here actually takes their bike into a shop to have it fixed?

Regardless, everything is a tradeoff. Buy what you like.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So far the only common mechanical issue with the 2013 F800GS I have found from some heavy goggling is that BMW service cost a lot of money. Oh a dead battery, malfunctioning fuel gauge, malfunctioning fuel filter and some undifined "engine problems". One of each mind you.

I am going to start to set aside 500 a month for unexpected mechanical failures for the car and motorcycle.

BlackMK4 posted:

I do, because I cant do that poo poo on my apartment complex and I dont really trust myself. I mean I can change the oil, spark plugs, check the oil etc, but things like changing sprockets, chains, tires and even more involved mechanical things are beyond me.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

BlackMK4 posted:

I do, because it's still under warranty for the next 18 months.

Agreeing with part 2, just buy and ride whatever you want. Who gives a poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ElMaligno posted:

There is a kawasaki and other mototcycle dealership near me so I'll go visit in a couple of days so I can sit on the Versys and other motorcycles of the same type.

As for the multistrada craiglist has one for sale. I only like it for the single side swingarm. :shrug: Also yes I want a bike with standard ergonomics but its not a standard motorcycle, hence why I kinda want a sport touring, small ADV, small dual sport, etc.

I don't care what type of engine a motorcycle has, I know each of them behave in different and often drastic manner but I havent develop a like or a dislike to a particular engine set up. For what's worth all I had so far have been inline 4 cylinder motorcycles. My first motorcycle was a naked bike and I disliked the sensation of feeling like a sail on speeds above 80mph, which disqualifies naked bikes and probably supermoto bikes from my list. Don't get me wrong though, the street triple is a good motorcycle, supermotos are also good fun motorcycles, they are sadly my cup of tea. As for what I like/dislike:

The Tiger 800 - A little bit cheaper but with less creature comforts and safety features. Also I have no idea how reliable or dependable this bikes are or how cheap/expensive their maintenance is.
The Versys 650 - The cheapest option as I could potentially buy a new 2015 Versys 650 LT model for what the 2013 F800GS costs. The downside is that its the most barebones of them all and the 650 engine might be a little too anemic for my taste.

TL;DR - I am a manchild that loves gadgets.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/5453462742.html

That's a good deal on a manchild that loves gadgets bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

I am going to start to set aside 500 a month for unexpected mechanical failures for the car and motorcycle.

I do, because I cant do that poo poo on my apartment complex and I dont really trust myself. I mean I can change the oil, spark plugs, check the oil etc, but things like changing sprockets, chains, tires and even more involved mechanical things are beyond me.

:psyduck: I can't imagine spending $6000 a year in "unexpected mechanical failures." Just buy a new bike every time yours has a problem and you'll still come out on top.

Maintenance could get expensive if you commute on the bike and you don't do any of the work yourself -- every year that's probably three or four oil changes, a set or two of tires, at least one new chain and sprockets, two valve adjustments etc. But if you're commuting, I'd really consider learning to do all of that stuff yourself (except mounting tires -- gently caress that without a tire machine).

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 22, 2016

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
If you're commuting, get a Japanese bike.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Z3n posted:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/5453462742.html

That's a good deal on a manchild that loves gadgets bike.

Niiice, I just need to actually sit on one before I jump the gun. Kinda breaks my informal

Sagebrush posted:

:psyduck: I can't imagine spending $6000 a year in "unexpected mechanical failures." Just buy a new bike every time yours has a problem and you'll still come out on top.

Maintenance could get expensive if you commute on the bike and you don't do any of the work yourself -- every year that's probably three or four oil changes, a set or two of tires, at least one new chain and sprockets, two valve adjustments etc. But if you're commuting, I'd really consider learning to do all of that stuff yourself (except mounting tires -- gently caress that without a tire machine).

I can do the oil change and maybe even the valve adjustment. Changing the sprocket and chain would stress me the gently caress out and I would never mount tires.

Also I kinda made a fast and dirty per month budget and decided to be scientific about the "parts, repair and service" part for both my car and a yet unspecified motorcycle. In other words I pulled that number from my rear end.

Also maybe once it reaches 10k I could stop setting money aside and use that whenever I need to get something for my car or motorcycle, Plus technically speaking my motorcycle DID have an "unexpected mechanical failure" that's kinda why I want to do it to be honest. :v:

VERTiG0 posted:

If you're commuting, get a Japanese bike.

????

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I ended up getting a new fz 07. It's pretty nice. I'll post pics when it's sunny out tomorrow. Got it for six thousand. Already put 200 miles on it since yesterday. If anyone in Ventura county wants to cruise around pm me, I don't know anyone in this state. Cheers thread

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Do not sit. Good advice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do not sit. Good advice.

It's a quick rattlecan (or even peel?) away from being a mint NSR250 with a tyga kit and a modern front end swap, would.

The wheels in themselves are great.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honestly, if they left that bike exactly as is but without the anime babe, it'd be rad as hell.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

How did you get a picture of my bike?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ElMaligno posted:

I can do the oil change and maybe even the valve adjustment. Changing the sprocket and chain would stress me the gently caress out and I would never mount tires.

There's a ton of actually easy basic maintenance stuff you can do in and in front of your apartment that would save you hundreds of dollars a year on drat near any bike (that doesn't have proprietary body panel fasteners). Hayne's and Chilton's manuals make a lot of that very clear and easy to learn, and forums and Youtube make the rest of it pretty simple. And if you buy stuff at an auto parts store or motorcycle shop, a lot of them won't mind if you do quick jobs in an unused corner of the lot.

On my bike, a full valve job is a few hours - days, whereas a sprocket/chain job is maybe 30 minutes.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's a bit intimidating at first, but yeah, there's millions of guides on the internet - not to mention people that'll show you how to do something in exchange for beers. I started out with absolutely zero knowledge, and with the help of guides and a couple CA goons, I can now do pretty much everything myself. The only thing I don't bother with are tires, because a local place does em cheap with the wheel off the bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Honestly, if they left that bike exactly as is but without the anime babe, it'd be rad as hell.

My thought's almost exactly, but I'd also unironically ride that with the anime babe.... as long as I had matching gear and a tinted visor so nobody could identify me. I just really like those wild nerd vehicles because they are so colorful and the design is usually top notch.

EVEN BETTER- Replace anime babe with a color matched Koi (hot pink, teal, black, white). Leave everything else the same.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I finally went and sat on that GS500f and liked the ergonomics, but that one had 40k km, a bunch of junky stuff like coolant gauge, and sounded like a bag of rocks when idling.
It made me think I don't have enough time to buy things off craigslist or fix up old junky things.

What new bikes/slightly used bikes I might buy at a dealer have similar ergos to a GS500? I know I could probably get a better deal on private sale, but I have a 2 year old and a pregnant wife at home and have no time to myself.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

blindjoe posted:

I finally went and sat on that GS500f and liked the ergonomics, but that one had 40k km, a bunch of junky stuff like coolant gauge, and sounded like a bag of rocks when idling.
It made me think I don't have enough time to buy things off craigslist or fix up old junky things.

What new bikes/slightly used bikes I might buy at a dealer have similar ergos to a GS500? I know I could probably get a better deal on private sale, but I have a 2 year old and a pregnant wife at home and have no time to myself.

cb500f

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ElMaligno posted:

I do a 20 mile commute, about 18 of those are on the highway (the 580 and half the bay bridge). The rest are in city roads close to where I live or the lovely roads in Yerba Buena Island.

Other than that:
1) I know that I don't want another 1000+CC bike for now or at least not one as heavy as my ZRX. I want a smaller lighter bike.
2) I had two standard bikes so far so I want something different.
4) I want something comfortable to drive and something that's kinda touring capable.
5) This one is kinda weird but if something has hard saddle bags I want them to be removable.
6) I want something to inspire me to drive it more than my car.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcd/5437932153.html

It's 1203cc but it's an air cooled twin that puts about 85hp to the road. Scam a test ride at least. lovely roads are its thing and regular maintenance is "change the oil and tires".

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I sat on a versys, a vstorm and a tenere today. My reactiom can be summed up as :geno:

clutchpuck posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcd/5437932153.html

It's 1203cc but it's an air cooled twin that puts about 85hp to the road. Scam a test ride at least. lovely roads are its thing and regular maintenance is "change the oil and tires".

You forgot "add more oil when needed"

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I was really excited to ride a 2015 Versys at a demo day a few months ago as it's, on paper, the perfect bike for me but it just didn't do it for me. I'm coming from a DRZ and it just felt huge and numb, but I was only on it for about 15 minutes. Perhaps I'd need to recalibrate.

That said, I went and rode a CB500X a few days later and loved it. It felt like a DRZ that didn't vibrate your dick off and could actually go on the highway without caveats.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ElMaligno posted:

I sat on a versys, a vstorm and a tenere today. My reactiom can be summed up as :geno:

You forgot "add more oil when needed"

I went through that song and dance looking for a replacement for my last Ulysses. Except I rode the Strom and Super10. Ended up with another Uly

Never had a bike I didn't watch the oil on, but maybe I am overly-diligent.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I was really excited to ride a 2015 Versys at a demo day a few months ago as it's, on paper, the perfect bike for me but it just didn't do it for me. I'm coming from a DRZ and it just felt huge and numb, but I was only on it for about 15 minutes. Perhaps I'd need to recalibrate.

That said, I went and rode a CB500X a few days later and loved it. It felt like a DRZ that didn't vibrate your dick off and could actually go on the highway without caveats.

No, you're right. I bought one based on the paper arguments, but riding it is just like ElMaligno said - :geno:
At least I didn't pay much for it.
And you might be on to something with Hondas, because on paper and on the show floor they look dull as heck, but it turns out they really do know how to make a good bike. Granted I've only ridden a VFR 750 and a CB1000R, but when I think back to that CB, it was loving good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The CB500X is kind of magical, honestly. It should be more boring than the Versys on paper as it's way down on HP, cheaper suspension, and a Honda, but it's The loving poo poo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Going to see some Ducatis and test rising that F800GS tomorrow morning.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

And you might be on to something with Hondas, because on paper and on the show floor they look dull as heck, but it turns out they really do know how to make a good bike.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The CB500X is kind of magical, honestly. It should be more boring than the Versys on paper as it's way down on HP, cheaper suspension, and a Honda, but it's The loving poo poo.

Hmmm yes

What would the manufacturer of not only the world's best selling motorcycle, but the world's best selling motor vehicle of all time, know about building motorcycles

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Hmmm yes

What would the manufacturer of not only the world's best selling motorcycle, but the world's best selling motor vehicle of all time, know about building motorcycles

I know, right? It's totally counterintuitive.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

You can't deny that Honda's have a (wrong & bad) rap for being boring though, especially on CA.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Those look good.
They even have some lightly used ones for a little less money.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/mcd/5452321709.html

Thanks, Ill go check those out.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009
I'm in the UK and doing my CBT in a month or so - that'll get me onto a 125 with L plates. I've had a car license (and car) for 7+ years but want to pick up a bike for fun/commuting.
My budget is about £2k (plus gear and insurance) (unless that'll only get me poo poo)

I've been doing a bit of research and landed on:

http://www.haywards.co.uk/herald-classic-125cc.html - new, Chinese import (I think a Sinnis?) with stickers on it.
Pros: it's a local dealer, a colleague bought his current bike (Royal Enfield) from them and says they're decent.
Cons: it's a cheap import that probably won't last long at all - but as it will be my first bike maybe that's not so bad?

very long autotrader link - I just found out about the MSX125 (Grom) and kinda want one, it looks like it'll push me up to 2.5k but I think for the right one I could handle that...

comedy option: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorcycle-dealers/2-wheel-junkie-chatteris-dpp-711529 lexmoto

Of course there's also more "traditional" used bikes, the reason I haven't posted any is I haven't got the first clue where to look and what to look for.

Anyone got any pointers for me please? I'm not in a rush.

Babunar fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 22, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

There's also the CB650f which looks neat if you're going to look at hondas

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You can't deny that Honda's have a (wrong & bad) rap for being boring though, especially on CA.

Next thing we know you'll be telling people that P-twins are acceptable engines for having fun.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I went and took a test ride of a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 yesterday at a dealer, and I think I really like it. They're also really tempting me to buy one new, as secondhand ones of the current gen with ABS and all the other things I want if I'm spending a decent amount of money on a bike don't come up very often in this area(East of England). They also have a very convincing offer of straightforward 0% finance on the Strom at the moment.

I kinda want a cross-check to make sure I'm not crazy right now. Here's things I'm looking for in a bike:

Comfort to ride all day, go touring etc.
ABS/traction control, if I'm buying a newer bike.
Panniers/storage for touring.
Upright seating position. I love my 690 SMC, but it isn't good at long distances.
Decent amount of power to lug all that stuff and my fat rear end.
Low on the attractive-to-steal scale, which it certainly seems to be as my insurance for a brand new Strom would be only £15 more a month than my 2008 690 SMC insured for 1/3rd the price.

I've been cross-shopping the adventure tourers for this for a while and kind of narrowed it down to the Versys 1000 or V-Strom 1000, and went with the Strom basically because I like the look of it more and (I think?) the features it comes with. I honestly don't remember the Versys very well and have been looking at Stroms for the last month or so.

Please sanity check me!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Babunar posted:

I'm in the UK and doing my CBT in a month or so - that'll get me onto a 125 with L plates. I've had a car license (and car) for 7+ years but want to pick up a bike for fun/commuting.
My budget is about £2k (plus gear and insurance) (unless that'll only get me poo poo)

I've been doing a bit of research and landed on:

http://www.haywards.co.uk/herald-classic-125cc.html - new, Chinese import (I think a Sinnis?) with stickers on it.
Pros: it's a local dealer, a colleague bought his current bike (Royal Enfield) from them and says they're decent.
Cons: it's a cheap import that probably won't last long at all - but as it will be my first bike maybe that's not so bad?

very long autotrader link - I just found out about the MSX125 (Grom) and kinda want one, it looks like it'll push me up to 2.5k but I think for the right one I could handle that...

comedy option: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorcycle-dealers/2-wheel-junkie-chatteris-dpp-711529 lexmoto

Of course there's also more "traditional" used bikes, the reason I haven't posted any is I haven't got the first clue where to look and what to look for.

Anyone got any pointers for me please? I'm not in a rush.

For your budget you will need to set aside £300 odd for gear and £100 for the CBT. At that price range the stuff won't be truly waterproof but will hold up for twenty minutes before it starts to leak so any longer get a set of waterproofs from screwfix to go over them. I know Ride magazine does large product tests and does the cheaper end of the market as well as the top end. I think last months was cheap (£100 ish) jackets so checking back issues might put you on the right track for stuff. For helmets check sharp.direct.gov.uk as anything with 3+ stars will be good.

You haven't said how old you are as that will determine how long you will keep the 125. The classic learner bikes are the Yamaha YBR125 and Honda CBF125. These are generally bullet proof if very unsexy but you will be able to sell them for almost what you paid if you go 2nd hand. The Grom is a great little bike but is tiny so unless you are a midget you will look funny on it. Sexier options are the Honda CBR125, Yamaha YZF-R125 and KTM Duke 125. All three look like grown up bikes but will be more expensive to buy and won't actually be any faster. Stay away from the Aprilla RS125, it is the very definition of temperamental Italian sports bike and is popular among you lads who de-restrict them to get the full 30odd bhp but don't give it the tender care it needs so it will turn into a money pit or an expensive garage storage system.

Overall if you are old enough not to be screwed over by the newer tiered license then you will want to pass your test and move onto something with a bit more poke so don't get too attached to a bike. Learner legal 125's have basically the same performance so all you are paying extra for is looks and reliability.

Chinese import 125's are very much a gamble. If the shop stands by the quality and gives you a long warranty then it might be a good idea. If they don't offer a couple of years they know the bike is dodgy.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

For your budget you will need to set aside £300 odd for gear and £100 for the CBT. At that price range the stuff won't be truly waterproof but will hold up for twenty minutes before it starts to leak so any longer get a set of waterproofs from screwfix to go over them. I know Ride magazine does large product tests and does the cheaper end of the market as well as the top end. I think last months was cheap (£100 ish) jackets so checking back issues might put you on the right track for stuff. For helmets check sharp.direct.gov.uk as anything with 3+ stars will be good.

You haven't said how old you are as that will determine how long you will keep the 125. The classic learner bikes are the Yamaha YBR125 and Honda CBF125. These are generally bullet proof if very unsexy but you will be able to sell them for almost what you paid if you go 2nd hand. The Grom is a great little bike but is tiny so unless you are a midget you will look funny on it. Sexier options are the Honda CBR125, Yamaha YZF-R125 and KTM Duke 125. All three look like grown up bikes but will be more expensive to buy and won't actually be any faster. Stay away from the Aprilla RS125, it is the very definition of temperamental Italian sports bike and is popular among you lads who de-restrict them to get the full 30odd bhp but don't give it the tender care it needs so it will turn into a money pit or an expensive garage storage system.

Overall if you are old enough not to be screwed over by the newer tiered license then you will want to pass your test and move onto something with a bit more poke so don't get too attached to a bike. Learner legal 125's have basically the same performance so all you are paying extra for is looks and reliability.

Chinese import 125's are very much a gamble. If the shop stands by the quality and gives you a long warranty then it might be a good idea. If they don't offer a couple of years they know the bike is dodgy.

"you lads"... I'm 24, mechanically sympathetic, not a lad. Thanks for the pointers. I'm also 5'8"-9" ish so maybe a Grom wouldn't look so silly?

The import (Herald) I posted has a 2 year parts warranty.

As you say though a secondhand Honda or Yamaha would probably be the sensible choice, despite there being something appealing about a new bike. Between my dad and me we're pretty good at buying used vehicles and looking after them though.

Looks like I could get a Honda/Yamaha 125 in decent nick for 1.2-1.5k which would mean more to spend on decent gear - although the 2k I stated is for the bike, I've got extra for gear and insurance.

Thanks again.

http://www.farnhamhonda.co.uk/locator/617471/2013-13-reg-honda-msx-125.aspx - TALK ME DOWN

Babunar fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Babunar posted:

Looks like I could get a Honda/Yamaha 125 in decent nick for 1.2-1.5k which would mean more to spend on decent gear - although the 2k I stated is for the bike, I've got extra for gear and insurance.

Coincidentally I've got a cbf125 in decent nick that I'm looking to shift for the lower end of that in the next month or so if you want to have a look?