Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The ancestor is pretty honest about when things are going to be lovely for you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

The ancestor is pretty honest about when things are going to be lovely for you though.

Well, except for when a Stress debuff crits for two damage and he freaks out about it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Node posted:

Well, except for when a Stress debuff crits for two damage and he freaks out about it.

PALPABLE FEAR.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What camping skills do you guys prioritize? Personally I really like scouting ones and the stuff that gives party wide buffs (like MaA's stuff) instead of more powerful but single target only buffs. That said Leper's accuracy buff is awesome and I always use that one if I have a Leper on the team.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

AnonSpore posted:

What camping skills do you guys prioritize? Personally I really like scouting ones and the stuff that gives party wide buffs (like MaA's stuff) instead of more powerful but single target only buffs. That said Leper's accuracy buff is awesome and I always use that one if I have a Leper on the team.

Anything that prevents ambush. The vestal's is especially good if you got mortality debuffs in the party.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If I have double lepers, quarantine, bloody shroud, reflection, encourage. Double quarantine gets rid of a shitload of stress, reflection is great for accuracy as said, and bloody shroud is handy for debuff/dot-heavy areas.

Plague doctor and grave robbers always have leeches/snuff box, no question. Worth sacrificing a slot on the off chance someone gets diseased so they don't need to spend a week in the medical ward and aren't garbage for the rest of the run in the case of the plagues or syphilis or the runs

Gallows humor for everyone who can get it. Three of those will often bring a stressed out party down from the edge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Anything that prevents ambush.

And this

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Anything that prevents ambush. The vestal's is especially good if you got mortality debuffs in the party.

I muddled through the 3rd Darkest Dungeon mission with an underequipped B-team mostly carried by the insane camp heals from Sanctuary.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Too many loss.png's made me double check this before getting it.

:sigh:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you... you...

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I am utterly ashamed that I understood that joke :cripes:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
whoa

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ruzihm posted:

I am utterly ashamed that I understood that joke :cripes:

I should be, but Im not.

What teams have you guys created that features a whole lotta moving skills. Nothing NG+ DD viable, but something that could be a fun Apprentice or Veteran level fun. I tried tinkering with a Occult / Double Jester / Abom, but I just cant find a thing that works well.

I feel like a MaA paired with a Grave Robber would be an ok pair for the front line. MaA stun moves one forward, GR stun moves one back and buffs dodge, then GR Lunge for damage. But I just dont know where the other peices fit. Also cant make a Jester work for the life of me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Grave Robber Grave Robber Grave Robber Grave Robber, lunge all the fools

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So I "beat" the Darkest Dungeon

I'm not surprised the direction it took, and it does disappoint me a bit, yes. The whole earth is a cosmic horror space-egg is great though

AnonSpore posted:

Grave Robber Grave Robber Grave Robber Grave Robber, lunge all the fools

literally yes

Black as Pitch, Moon Ring/Fasting Seal on everyone

Fill alllll the bags with loot, all of them

I think my best haul was about 40 grand from a long champion dungeon with that, plus ancestral trinket to sell

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 23, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I should be, but Im not.

What teams have you guys created that features a whole lotta moving skills. Nothing NG+ DD viable, but something that could be a fun Apprentice or Veteran level fun. I tried tinkering with a Occult / Double Jester / Abom, but I just cant find a thing that works well.

I feel like a MaA paired with a Grave Robber would be an ok pair for the front line. MaA stun moves one forward, GR stun moves one back and buffs dodge, then GR Lunge for damage. But I just dont know where the other peices fit. Also cant make a Jester work for the life of me.

What I find more valuable is having one, maybe two characters with move skills (GR is queen here), and make sure the rest have a skill assortment that doesn't really care where they are. GR-Bounty Hunter is a solid combo that will go with just about anything else because the GR can float around the party and can attack effectively from anywhere (though setting up lunges is ideal), and the bounty hunter can attack from 3/4 ranks and stun from all 4. Plus with all the crits you're probably not going to have to worry about stress that much.

Highwayman with PBS and Duelist's Advance is a little more fiddly but works well. Occultist is your healer of choice for this group, but Vestal can work well too. MaA makes a very good fourth choice, especially if you've already buffed dodge with trinkets. Plague Doctor too, with the right skill picks, though she's a bit more vulnerable to effectively wasting a turn from being out of place. (I find her ability to keep an enemy group locked down with stuns 2-3 turns in a row with trinkets more than makes up for this liability.)

Though I'm so trying 4 GR next chance I get.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Jesus gently caress, the champion Shambler just made a joke out of me. I am bad at this game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Node posted:

Jesus gently caress, the champion Shambler just made a joke out of me. I am bad at this game.
the champion shambler makes a joke out of everyone

I encountered him with a full health zero stress group of four grave robbers. This is a before and after despite the fucker being dead by turn 3 and getting crits on him literally every other attack:

If you find one in a champion black as pitch run and there's no way around it, you might want to seriously consider abandoning the mission, as it's not really worth it to kill the fucker, and he can and very often does kill your guys unless you're incredibly well prepared. The amount of stress and damage the little spore bastards do is kind of insane.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 23, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I should be, but Im not.

I've been running Grave Robber - Vestal - Man At Arms - Hellion a bit recently in champ dungeons and I like it a lot. With her high speed, the GR lunges to position 2 at the start, pushing the MaA to position 3 where he is still fully effective. Rampart with the MaA, putting the Grave Robber in position 3 where she can lunge again (though be warned that this will lock the Hellion out of Iron Swan, so consider throwing some daggers until the final rank enemy is dead). If you start mixing in shadow fades with more MaA stuns, you can lunge some more, but I don't generally find that to be necessary.

All of these characters are quite versatile in their positioning. The Vestal less-so, but she should never be in a bad location unless you get surprised/pulled, and depending on what skills you take she can still be okay at position 2. Sacrificing Dazzling Light for a better frontline skill isn't a bad idea if you're using the fantastic +heal trinket that lowers her stun chance. I take Illumination.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 23, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Gabriel Pope posted:

If I may be forgiven a bit of self-promotion, I just uploaded a playable version of the overhaul mod I've been working on here if anyone would be interested in helping playtest it. It hasn't really had much playtesting beyond basic sanity testing, but it runs and I've been having fun with it so I figure it's time to see about getting some outside input.

(Unfortunately, DD doesn't have any mod management support at this time, so the only way to turn mods on or off is to copy over the files directly--I highly recommend making a backup DD folder before you start messing with mods.)
I think you should upload the more detailed changelog from the readme because I had to get home just to download it to see what was in it. More numbers would also be preferable but that's just me. Some of the class changes seem a little wacky in a vacuum (not just power, there's an awful lot of knock-around and shuffling that seems like it'd be annoying more than anything), and I'm sure there's reasons for it tied to the slowing down of combat, but I'm not too clear without digging around in the files what those changes actually are, and I'm the sort of person who knows what all the stuff in the files means.

For example: It seems like mark effects are a lot more important, but is enemy AI changed in such a way as to regard marks more clearly or something? There seems to be one bullet point about enemy changes and it doesn't really tell me anything about how fights actually play out with this mod. It's a little hard to properly invest in a DD mod that makes sweeping changes since it more or less necessitates a new save and early in a save it's harder to know how everything will play out, so a little bit more detail about stuff for people who are looking for it would be helpful. Not necessarily asking for every number that was tweaked to be spelled out (I can certainly look that up myself), but a bit more detail on your core philosophy and how fights are expected to play out would help, as well as info on things like how extensive the new punish effects are (e.g. are there enemies with blight/bleed bonus damage, etc.).

A few of the changes are intriguing though.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
My beloved robber-robber-vestal-MAA team got absolutely wrecked in the first darkest dungeon quest. Robbers basically got evaporated when they didn't dodge. I feel sad.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

I think you should upload the more detailed changelog from the readme because I had to get home just to download it to see what was in it. More numbers would also be preferable but that's just me. Some of the class changes seem a little wacky in a vacuum (not just power, there's an awful lot of knock-around and shuffling that seems like it'd be annoying more than anything), and I'm sure there's reasons for it tied to the slowing down of combat, but I'm not too clear without digging around in the files what those changes actually are, and I'm the sort of person who knows what all the stuff in the files means.

For example: It seems like mark effects are a lot more important, but is enemy AI changed in such a way as to regard marks more clearly or something? There seems to be one bullet point about enemy changes and it doesn't really tell me anything about how fights actually play out with this mod. It's a little hard to properly invest in a DD mod that makes sweeping changes since it more or less necessitates a new save and early in a save it's harder to know how everything will play out, so a little bit more detail about stuff for people who are looking for it would be helpful. Not necessarily asking for every number that was tweaked to be spelled out (I can certainly look that up myself), but a bit more detail on your core philosophy and how fights are expected to play out would help, as well as info on things like how extensive the new punish effects are (e.g. are there enemies with blight/bleed bonus damage, etc.).

A few of the changes are intriguing though.

Thanks for the feedback; I know that the documentation is a weak point. Partly that's because it's still very early in development, which means that 1) there's a lot still in flux and 2) I don't want to promise more than I'm actually delivering so far. Also I just realized that I was linking the download directly; the nexus page does have the broad-strokes description from the readme (as well as a readme link.)

Enemies (should) pay attention to marks across the board, even if they don't have mark punishment abilities--they still don't focus on marks exclusively, but marked characters will take a majority of attacks. At the same time enemy marking bonuses have been toned down, so it's somewhat less suicidal to mark yourself when fighting marking groups. Some marking groups actually got less focus-firey too; spider webbers now prefer to spread stun around instead of joining in the marking gangbang.

All of these changes are intended to help steer the game away from the "rocket tag" model of combat where most enemies and (with crits, which are frighteningly common) PCs die in 1-2 hits. When you can't shut down enemies with raw damage and 1-round stuns, it becomes (in theory) a lot more useful to avoid/soak damage by drawing attacks and shoving enemies out of position, especially since a lot of moves and mark/guard abilities are part of "real" attacks or heal abilities. (Some of this may sound familiar to players who've played 4e D&D, since a lot of changes were inspired by 4e's design philosophy.)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
THIS PLACE IS SCARY

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
WHERE IS THE CRYPT, ANCESTOR?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hoop de doop doo, let's just mosey on down the first hallway, oh here's a bag, lemme just see what's insi-

:stare: Okay

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Cleared the Darkest Dungeon tonight. People died every time I brought a Vestal and everyone made it when I brought an Occultist. The only deaths of the run (though I haven't done the Champion bosses yet). Draw your own conclusions.

I also picked up On The Old Road, We Found Redemption. But Dismas and Reynauld really should've read the fine print: It only said I had to bring them to the final battle.
Some poor bastard made a perfect map of the whole dungeon and almost made it out alive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there anything new to the story or ending for doing NG+ or is it just ~stupidly hard for masochists mode~?

Nakar posted:

Cleared the Darkest Dungeon tonight. People died every time I brought a Vestal and everyone made it when I brought an Occultist. The only deaths of the run (though I haven't done the Champion bosses yet). Draw your own conclusions.
Meanwhile, people only died on the one run my Vestal got gibbed by Revelation, and completely steamrolled everything otherwise, including the re-do of the second quest. A Vestal with the healing book + scroll heals insanely well, and dishes out decent damage on any target with Judgement while self-healing as well.

AnonSpore posted:

Hoop de doop doo, let's just mosey on down the first hallway, oh here's a bag, lemme just see what's insi-

:stare: Okay
best bug

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't understand the love for Occultists. I mean, Vestals are boring, but they're just so much better. Healing abilities are the last skills I want to be highly RNG dependent. And the Vestal's party heal is amazing.
Mostly I just like Occultists in marking-focused teams that contain either an Arbalest or Hound Master, if not both, for some reliable healing.

Nakar posted:

I also picked up On The Old Road, We Found Redemption. But Dismas and Reynauld really should've read the fine print: It only said I had to bring them to the final battle.
But...why Dismas?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't understand the love for Occultists. I mean, Vestals are boring, but they're just so much better. Healing abilities are the last skills I want to be highly RNG dependent. And the Vestal's party heal is amazing.
Mostly I just like Occultists in marking-focused teams that contain either an Arbalest or Hound Master, if not both, for some reliable healing.

But...why Dismas?

Because with an Occultist you spend less turns healing and more turns stabbing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheChad posted:

Because with an Occultist you spend less turns healing and more turns stabbing.

Unless the RNG decides to troll you and give you a bunch of consecutive 0s and 2s.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Am I misunderstanding the text for Wyrd Reconstruction, or is rank 4 safer than rank 5? You get 2 points of potential healing, but you have more of a chance to get a 3 damage bleed, instead of a slightly less chance to get only a 2 damage bleed, from how I read it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Node posted:

Am I misunderstanding the text for Wyrd Reconstruction, or is rank 4 safer than rank 5? You get 2 points of potential healing, but you have more of a chance to get a 3 damage bleed, instead of a slightly less chance to get only a 2 damage bleed, from how I read it.

Don't forget that as you gain resolve ranks, your resists go up, so the actual threat of bleed overall gets lower. It is, however, a greater danger if your occultist is a higher rank than the person he's healing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Or if your target has -bleed resist maluses

Butcher Cut from swine reavers has both -bleed and -heals maluses on the same attack, which means occulists are worse in the warrens

'I'll help!' NO WAIT DON'T

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A.o.D. posted:

Unless the RNG decides to troll you and give you a bunch of consecutive 0s and 2s.
The last time I used an Occultist(I like'em, don't get me wrong) I got six 0's in a row, four of which caused bleeds, and resulted in 2 dudes dying, one of which died to the bleed from the occultist's heal.

I was not having a good day!

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Occultist managed to fire off 2 consecutive bleeds on a BH with only a 9% chance to succeed. Didn't even heal for much. Don't know what that guy did to get in his bad books, but must've been something.

If my idiots had that kind of luck with stuns I'd be invincible.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I was not having a good day!

Probably because you are Captain Invictus.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The Cleansing Crystal is a nice trinket for a lot of characters but it's especially nice for the Occultist, since its drawback is actually a benefit for him.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
Does anyone else play Darkest Dungeon without sound? I was finding the game very stressful and the awesome sound design has a lot to do with that. I've been playing it without sound while watching season 1 of SNL and am finding it much more relaxing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No because it loving sucks without the outstanding audio to go with the visuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Captain Invictus posted:

No because it loving sucks without the outstanding audio to go with the visuals

I agree that the audio design is awesome and should definitely be appreciated.

I disagree that DD sucks without audio; I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

That said, I play a lot of strategic games without much in the way of audio or graphics and may be addicted to learning strategic systems (dwarf fortress, nethack, mage knight via vassal, xcom: enemy unknown, etc.)