Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

oatgan posted:

i do not understand why people talk about the award like it's a real thing and not a gimmick to get Vince/HHH heat

I'd assumed it was a HoF thing like the warrior award. Either I'm not paying enough attention or it's awkward branding on their part, as using HoF stuff for storylines would look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Blasmeister posted:

I'd assumed it was a HoF thing like the warrior award. Either I'm not paying enough attention or it's awkward branding on their part, as using HoF stuff for storylines would look bad.

Yeah, the only thing more trashy would be if they used another company's HoF stuff for storylines.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan's spluttering attempts to understand Roman Reigns' booking makes the latest B&V Show a lot of fun. They also cover Kimbo vs Dada5000.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

latest b&v is a great listen

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

latest b&v is a great listen

Yessss got an 8 hour car ride if I add in B&V and WOR I might be able to make it with my sanity intact.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
People who make fun of Dave for liking Charlotte and then talk up Becky and Sasha after that lousy match last night need to reevaluate. All three have shown notable deficiencies working with less talented wrestlers and I haven't seen anything from Sasha on the level of her work when she could rehearse thoroughly. I know Becky is really good, the other two I'll still withhold judgment on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MassRafTer posted:

People who make fun of Dave for liking Charlotte and then talk up Becky and Sasha after that lousy match last night need to reevaluate. All three have shown notable deficiencies working with less talented wrestlers and I haven't seen anything from Sasha on the level of her work when she could rehearse thoroughly. I know Becky is really good, the other two I'll still withhold judgment on.

I thought the Becky/Sasha stuff never went above 'fine', but Charlotte has been having more bad matches than good, or even 'fine' ones. She has Ziggler like abilities to not sell anything too, which doesn't help, and she couldn't seem to work with Brie at all last night. I think pushing the NXT women into the main roster is showing off more deficiencies than they'd like.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Big Dave making GBS threads all over Roman today..

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Give us the Lo Down, what's he got to say about mister armoured vest?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Bryan & Vinny's review of Charlotte-Brie vs Bryan & Dave's review of Charlotte-Brie was something.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is it that Ric is one of Dave's sources, and Dave doesn't want to bury Charlotte and piss him off?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

triplexpac posted:

Is it that Ric is one of Dave's sources, and Dave doesn't want to bury Charlotte and piss him off?

Probably. They're also friends iirc which makes it even more awkward. Meltzer has never been the most detached reporter, which is even more difficult to be in an industry as incestuous as wrestling

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Probably. They're also friends iirc which makes it even more awkward. Meltzer has never been the most detached reporter, which is even more difficult to be in an industry as incestuous as wrestling

It's a bit of a tricky situation, you have to separate Dave the reviewer and Dave the reporter. Dave being biased when it comes to reviews is fine, it's his opinion. But when it comes to reporting facts, that's when he needs to be detached.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I lost it at the gym today when "Vinny, a man is log rolling toward you. You have NO CHOICE...

but to leap."

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

He's right in saying this is what happens when the hardcores are all that's left

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol Ryan From Cumberland is loving 36 years old

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Give us the Lo Down, what's he got to say about mister armoured vest?

Roman is a good athlete and he has "the look", but the hardcore fans simply don't buy him. WWE is stuck in an 80s mindset where the look is the most important thing, and they're still booking based on the idea that the casual fans care more about look than anything else too.... except WWE has oversaturated the market with so much of their product that the casuals have given up and all that is left are the hardcore fans. So WWE's booking ideas are based on catering to an audience that largely doesn't exist anymore.

I think that about sums it up. House Shows and other Live Events probably get a higher percentage of "casual" fans who go along, and Roman is apparently pretty drat over there - though there is probably something to be said for the idea that a lot of people boo Roman on TV because they're so used to the idea that if you're on TV, you boo Roman. But on the other hand, when Vince got involved and actually did some logical booking showcasing Roman as an asskicker who beat the poo poo out of people loving with him, nobody had any problems with cheering him.

So in short.... :shrug:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 22, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Surprised he's that young TBH

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Why is this remarkable? I forget which one Ryan is

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Roman is a good athlete and he has "the look", but the hardcore fans simply don't buy him. WWE is stuck in an 80s mindset where the look is the most important thing, and they're still booking based on the idea that the casual fans care more about look than anything else too.... except WWE has oversaturated the market with so much of their product that the casuals have given up and all that is left are the hardcore fans. So WWE's booking ideas are based on catering to an audience that largely doesn't exist anymore.

I think that about sums it up. House Shows and other Live Events probably get a higher percentage of "casual" fans who go along, and Roman is apparently pretty drat over there - though there is probably something to be said for the idea that a lot of people boo Roman on TV because they're so used to the idea that if you're on TV, you boo Roman. But on the other hand, when Vince got involved and actually did some logical booking showcasing Roman as an asskicker who beat the poo poo out of people loving with him, nobody had any problems with cheering him.

So in short.... :shrug:

Actually WWE's booking ideas are only based on catering to Vince McMahon, and occasionally to advertisers

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The one that calls into WOL almost every day just to hear himself on the podcast and is the epitome of awkward :goonsay: wrestling fan

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I assumed he was early to mid 20s

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I want to sit on a rocking chair and eat Werther's Originals with John from Memphis.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Oh so this is why Bryan was going on and on about Shane today. I think I'm starting to figure out how the Alvarez spoiler/hint machine works.

Vvv Edit: I can't remember who guessed it but Steph was like the 3rd or 4th guess in the contest.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 23, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Lariat posted:

Oh so this is why Bryan was going on and on about Shane today. I think I'm starting to figure out how the Alvarez spoiler/hint machine works.

hahah

Also do we know who won the "prize" for guessing the recipient?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
http://twitter.com/thewadekeller/status/701985782840446977

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's up now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dave throwing shade on Trips in the latest WOR.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Mad shade. The maddest.

Edit: He's gone from his usual "Yeah, that's interesting that HHH did that. Interesting." to outright stating that HHH knows what he's doing and that he was going for the babyface reaction against Reigns.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 23, 2016

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I really don't see how it could be read any other way. No one that has been in wrestling five minutes could think that crotch chops and ultraviolence wouldn't get mad cheers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It kinda looks like Triple H is distancing himself from the whole Authority thing.

Like maybe it's a one-night thing where he and Stephanie were involved in separate angles, but as Dave/Bryan said, it'd be super weird if Shane wins and dumps the Authority in the middle of Mania, and then Triple H is there in the main event as the champion.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think that given the reactions from last night, there's a non-zero possibility that Hell In A Cell goes on last, which is so crazy to me.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I liked when Dave pointed out HHH has already done 2 flat title matches at WM.

The Shane stuff was good. Dave dismissed the birthright claim because it's 2016 and Steph and Williams are top execs.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Gonzo McFee posted:

Mad shade. The maddest.

Edit: He's gone from his usual "Yeah, that's interesting that HHH did that. Interesting." to outright stating that HHH knows what he's doing and that he was going for the babyface reaction against Reigns.

Dylan Hales is running his victory lap right now

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think that given the reactions from last night, there's a non-zero possibility that Hell In A Cell goes on last, which is so crazy to me.

I was thinking that as well, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

HiaC going on last makes sense but no way is trips winning earlier in the night only to get upstaged by shane o mac winning control of Raw in the main event

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like that you guys think Shane is going to win. Shane is going to lose so that Triple H and Stephanie have something to hold over the crowd on Raw after Triple H loses the title.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Shane is going to get kicked in the dick so loving hard that Brock Lesnar will go down selling it in the back

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I like that Shane's back but honestly I think they're going to treat it like the prodigal son has returned wanting success after his business ventures unfortunately did not bear fruit, and make him put Taker over as some kind of weird punishment.

I liked Dave's idea of making the story of the match one of Taker turning against Vince and allowing Shane to win for the good of the company. It'd be really hard to pull off without being Russo-ish. Maybe you could have Shane go to the top of the cell and Vince could be out there making Taker climb to the top, he doesn't want to do it 'cause he still remembers KOTR '98, he sees how Vince is putting him in danger, and letting his own son put himself in danger, and Taker goes "gently caress this."

But this isn't the Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinions thread. I hope Shane doesn't do anything super dangerous.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Spermgod posted:

Dylan Hales is running his victory lap right now

I'm on board with the political hit theory now tbh

• Locked thread