Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

I bet Cruz's team assumed no one caught it on audio. Did cruz do this post-closet meeting with Rubio?

Cruz denies there was such a meeting with Rubio. Also, he did it right before Tyler was going on air with MSNBC and apparently without telling Tyler first, causing him to bolt from the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

In addition to this, Tyler also worked for the 2012 Akin campaign. Seems like a great career in politics.

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/701869414296240129

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/7qmvog/the-colbert-report-john-lithgow-performs-gingrich-press-release

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mitt Romney posted:

Did cruz do this post-closet meeting with Rubio?

Most men do

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/701877103780757504

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

UrbicaMortis posted:

Nixon spent the entire war playing poker on an island far from the action. If he ever shot anyone, it was probably a nosy journalist.

GHWB probably killed a handful of Japanese pilots unless he shot absolutely nobody down during his service. Johnson was actually a congressman at the time he served in WWII, but he never shot anyone as far as Wikipedia says. He was possibly shot at, though reports vary. He kept asking for a combat assignment, they have him an aerial observer assignment, he got a silver star for being shot at, losing an engine, and making it back to base. Looks like there may have been a swiftboating effort against him, but who knows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Joementum posted:

This seems like a weird over-reaction from Cruz that makes a headline story out of something that was otherwise just a quirky thing covered on a few blogs and Twitter.

I think its kind of a desperate move to halt this "Ted Cruz is a liar/plays dirty tricks" narrative that is building. Carson, Trump, Rubio. The Iowa Carson thing, the "voting record" ads, the closet story, now this. Tied into Ted's past and all the "everyone hates him" stuff. Ted Cruz has a negative narrative building against him and he keeps fueling it because he IS just as slimy and shameless a scumbag as everyone says he is. Probably the only thing that has kept this from blowing up is that Ben Carson seems genuinely too nice to make a huge deal of Cruz's actions against him but now that they're adding up I don't think its so much a case of how damaging this one Bible thing is but that its yet another log on the fire.

So I think Cruz is hoping that by firing this guy he's making a public stance against the bad stuff and people buy that it was just rogue campaign people. Simply apologizing didn't really work with the Carson thing because its still around so he had to do something more to try and stop this momentum. Biblegate may not have gotten a ton of media, especially with Nevada around the corner, but I bet Rubio would have brought it up at the next debate.

But I doubt it will work. Cruz is slimy and its showing. I've always kinf of thought Cruz was unelectable because of this stuff, and its why as a Democrat I was kind of hoping he'd win the Republican primary.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 22, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MaxxBot posted:

Cruzbot Steve Deace has resorted to begging Trump supporters to switch to Cruz because the RNC is going to ratfuck Trump and give it to Rubio anyways!

https://twitter.com/SteveDeaceShow/status/701845772426309632

I mean I could see them doing that but this is clearly a desperate ploy, he continues on for like 20 tweets.

I mean, he's not wrong. This is exactly what the RNC is likely to do, given the opportunity.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FAUXTON posted:

GHWB probably killed a handful of Japanese pilots unless he shot absolutely nobody down during his service. Johnson was actually a congressman at the time he served in WWII, but he never shot anyone as far as Wikipedia says. He was possibly shot at, though reports vary. He kept asking for a combat assignment, they have him an aerial observer assignment, he got a silver star for being shot at, losing an engine, and making it back to base. Looks like there may have been a swiftboating effort against him, but who knows.

If I remember right GHWB was a TBM torpedo bomber pilot, so how many people he killed probably depends on what sort of missions he got assigned.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

FAUXTON posted:

Yup, LBJ was an observer on one air raid in the pacific. They did get shot at and almost didn't make it back, but that's pretty much all of his active military record.

He probably bludgeoned a couple of staffers to death with his dick though, if that counts.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
ive read that he would have impromptu meetings in bathrooms and accidentally let his dick out

first (second?) gay president confirmed.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

STAC Goat posted:

I think its kind of a desperate move to halt this "Ted Cruz is a liar/plays dirty tricks" narrative that is building. Carson, Trump, Rubio. The Iowa Carson thing, the "voting record" ads, the closet story, now this. Tied into Ted's past and all the "everyone hates him" stuff. Ted Cruz has a negative narrative building against him and he keeps fueling it because he IS just as slimy and shameless a scumbag as everyone says he is. Probably the only thing that has kept this from blowing up is that Ben Carson seems genuinely too nice to make a huge deal of Cruz's actions against him but now that they're adding up I don't think its so much a case of how damaging this one Bible thing is but that its yet another log on the fire.

So I think Cruz is hoping that by firing this guy he's making a public stance against the bad stuff and people buy that it was just rogue campaign people. Simply apologizing didn't really work with the Carson thing because its still around so he had to do something more to try and stop this momentum. Biblegate may not have gotten a ton of media, especially with Nevada around the corner, but I bet Rubio would have brought it up at the next debate.

But I doubt it will work. Cruz is slimy and its showing. I've always kinf of thought Cruz was unelectable because of this stuff, and its why as a Democrat I was kind of hoping he'd win the Republican primary.

It won't work. Cruz is the prime slime, and Jeff Roe made his name around getting candidates to kill themselves. They only know how to gently caress people over, and as long as they get caught red-handed or off guard the narrative will build.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Mitt Romney posted:

I bet Cruz's team assumed no one caught it on audio. Did cruz do this post-closet meeting with Rubio?

Here's the timeline...

Saturday
- the Daily Pennsylvanian posts this article with a video with subtitles that reportedly have Rubio dissing in the bible:
http://www.thedp.com/blog/dpolitics/2016/02/marco-rubio-encounters-cruz-campaign-in-hampton-inn

Sunday
- Rick Tyler tweets out the link above.
- Cruz camp confirm to the DP that the book in question was the bible.
- The link spreads across the right-wing internets.
- Rubio comms guy tweets out their own version of the video featuring THE REAL transcript.
- Tyler deletes his tweet.
- Breitbart and Drudge take Rubio's side.
- Heat is turned up on Cruz camp for DIRTY TRICKS(mostly on twitter)

Monday
- Cruz has a secret closet meeting with Rubio to discuss BIBLEGATE.
- Ted Cruz fires Rick Tyler, his comms director, for tweeting an article from the DP. This creates a massive story out of something that wasn't really a big deal at all.
- Donald Trump tweets out sick burns.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

StandardVC10 posted:

If I remember right GHWB was a TBM torpedo bomber pilot, so how many people he killed probably depends on what sort of missions he got assigned.
He killed fiddy men!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I'm not racist, but.txt

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Montasque posted:

Here's the timeline...

Saturday
- the Daily Pennsylvanian posts this article with a video with subtitles that reportedly have Rubio dissing in the bible:
http://www.thedp.com/blog/dpolitics/2016/02/marco-rubio-encounters-cruz-campaign-in-hampton-inn

Sunday
- Rick Tyler tweets out the link above.
- Cruz camp confirm to the DP that the book in question was the bible.
- The link spreads across the right-wing internets.
- Rubio comms guy tweets out their own version of the video featuring THE REAL transcript.
- Tyler deletes his tweet.
- Breitbart and Drudge take Rubio's side.
- Heat is turned up on Cruz camp for DIRTY TRICKS(mostly on twitter)

Monday
- Cruz has a secret closet meeting with Rubio to discuss BIBLEGATE.
- Ted Cruz fires Rick Tyler, his comms director, for tweeting an article from the DP. This creates a massive story out of something that wasn't really a big deal at all.
- Donald Trump tweets out sick burns.

Trump is always tweeting sick burns, excuse me

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
Just saw the phony ad by Cruz - totally false, more dirty tricks. He got caught in so many lies - is this man crazy?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Bryter posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing that trump supporters would love more than trump, it's a Brit talking down to them

I wouldn't be talking down to anyone, friend.

And I'm not a Brit, I'm an American who was born in Britain. loving xenophobe.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

quit doxxing me.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

UrbicaMortis posted:

Nixon spent the entire war playing poker on an island far from the action. If he ever shot anyone, it was probably a nosy journalist.

Richard Nixon helped America win WW2 the best way he knew how: by keeping Richard Nixon as far away from the war as humanely possible without looking like a coward.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

In addition to this, Tyler also worked for the 2012 Akin campaign. Seems like a great career in politics.

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/701869414296240129

Nice writing, but he still tried to sell Newt Gingrich as a political outsider.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
This makes Cruz look weak. Should have said it was a mistake made out of a very high respect for the bible or some poo poo like that.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I guess this closet meeting went as well as the Carson one:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/701882028145246208

:wow:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
e:f,b

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Well at least Rick Tyler can eat now.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

what a lovely news cycle for Cruz. seems like a weird thing that Cruz's campaign is having no control over

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
we're off cruz control.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
resuming normalaty
in 3
hahahhahaha no there is no normalcy

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Joementum posted:

Cruz denies there was such a meeting with Rubio. Also, he did it right before Tyler was going on air with MSNBC and apparently without telling Tyler first, causing him to bolt from the set.

so does this mean Tyler isn't getting a parachute into one of cruz's super pacs?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Trump is never going to let go of that Iowa loss, will he?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Rubio's constant characterization of Cruz as someone who "will do or say anything to be elected president" is pretty funny because if anything the criticism applies even moreso to Rubio, it's some pretty major projection.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rocks posted:

what a lovely news cycle for Cruz. seems like a weird thing that Cruz's campaign is having no control over

I guess you could say, heh, that there's no-

Mendicant posted:

we're off cruz control.

GODDAMMIT

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

This guy sure looks like a Cruz supporter.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

crowoutofcontext posted:

Trump is never going to let go of that Iowa loss, will he?

sad.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Let us dispel the notion that Ted Cruz does not know what he is doing. He knows exactly what he is doing.

If Rubio had a sense of humor he would say this during the debate :argh:

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

fukken saved wow

Montasque posted:

I guess this closet meeting went as well as the Carson one:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/701882028145246208

:wow:

words have lost all meaning

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot

DaveWoo posted:

GODDAMMIT

haf to get up p fuckin early to say something stupid before I do

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/business/status/701879210156171264?lang=en

Well? Is he???

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
by every metric: no

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

betteridge's law strikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If Trump can successfully peel of Cruz support it's over.

• Locked thread