Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Chill out, Azazel plays different than a stripped down Batman now! The slower combat and the inability to get 3 star rankings make him different than the rest of the roster

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I bought this a few months ago. I loving hate it so far. About 5% in.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I got this on the 40% sale and was super worried it was going to be unplayable, but everything ran smoothly and I had a lot of fun.

Except for the dumb Ridder puzzles locking out the rest of the ending.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Any of the dlc worth getting?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

OhFunny posted:

I got this on the 40% sale and was super worried it was going to be unplayable, but everything ran smoothly and I had a lot of fun.

Except for the dumb Ridder puzzles locking out the rest of the ending.

Yeah, this is turning out to be the only part of the game I don't love. I'm hovering somewhere around 85 trophies, and coming to the realization that I'm just not going to slog through all of the 240+ trophies. I like achievements, but it's just far too many. Working through all of the trophies I've already done, and knowing I'm only around 1/3 of the way through them...ugh. It's not happening.

Which is fine. I'll probably give up and look up the full ending on YouTube. After I finish New Game +, which I'm playing through now.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Any of the dlc worth getting?

I enjoyed the Season of Infamy DLC. 4 missions added to the actual game map of Gotham (either all at once if you've finished the game, or a new mission popping up periodically as you work through the story, as I'm seeing now in New Game +). They're not all that long, but decent enough, and for $10 I think it's worth it.

I really don't think the Arkham Episodes are worth it. They're either quite short, or frustrating as hell. The Catwoman one drove me nuts, during the robot fight at the end, I felt like each time I was almost finished, a finishing move animation or wonky enemy select would lead me right onto the electric panels. I had to be perfect for over half of the fight to cover the health losses I knew I would be unable to avoid near the end. The Batgirl mission was probably my favorite, mainly for who shows up in the story, and for the larger/fancier map than the others, but even it was pretty light on content.

The costumes are fun, but I've already gone back to using the main Batsuit. Turns out, when game makers design a suit and world in the same mold, they look better together. Who knew?

The different Batmobile skins were, mostly, useless, because most of them can't enter Tank mode. So you can only really use them once you've cleared out Gotham of tanks, and even then, hope you don't want to bust up any breakable objects. The racing mode that comes with it is fun at first (I really enjoyed driving around Adam West Batman sets), but it got old real fast.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably get the Season of Infamy pack for $10, but not the season pass for $30. Though I'm not all that upset about my purchase either.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Got this when it was 40% off and finally got around to playing it. Finished the main campaign and have completed everything apart from the Riddler (ugh... why do they keep putting so god drat much Ridler tokens in the games) and the DLC.

I surprisingly actually liked it more than Arkham City, I'm what seems to be one of the few people where the Batmobile actually clicked with. I dislike why they disabled the advanced weaponry on the other batmobiles though, especially considering that;

a) a few already have weapons mounted on them.
b) the batmobiles that don't have guns mounted on them yet and are from the movies are known to have similar canons anway, just pop those out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPudZd3oI4
c) batmobiles have various hidden guns anyway, a non visible turret would've been fine
d) the batmobile from this game is a tumbler wanne-be. Why in gods name doesn't at least the tumbler have it's weaponry? It's still more bat-tank than the batmobile in this game!

:colbert:

e: Also, everything ran as smooth as silk on my PC. But my PC is rather high end so I don't think I'm a good base of comparison. :v:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Batham posted:

e: Also, everything ran as smooth as silk on my PC. But my PC is rather high end so I don't think I'm a good base of comparison. :v:

Either your PC's really lucky to run that game that's otherwise less than 30 FPS, or you tweaked the game's settings so the graphics don't glitch or lag as they normally do.

I honestly find this hard to believe.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I certainly didn't do any tweaking and have everything on max, apart from interactive paper debris (no clue why that's turned off). I don't know what to say, it just runs smooth as hell and I haven't had one stutter. I was surprised about that fact though, considering its reputation.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
From what I've heard, even the most high-end PCs couldn't get this game running properly, so whatever PC you have must be a miracle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

From what I've heard, even the most high-end PCs couldn't get this game running properly, so whatever PC you have must be a miracle.

It's inconsistent, which is part of the problem. It does run well for some people but it isn't reliable as to why.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I had similar luck when Arkham Origins was released. Everyone was complaining about a terrible port, how it kept crashing, etc, while I was happily playing at maximum frame rate wondering what the hell everyone was on about.

Hooray for freakish computer set-ups. :v:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Such a mistake to not let you use the DLC bat mobiles for most of the campaign. I would have bought the 1989 Batmobile if I could use it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

All of this is a reason to use consoles. Consistency for the win!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Is $20 for this a fair deal for the game and season pass bundled in? Seems it's still pretty hit and miss with folks but I've been curious about it for a while, especially now that I've upgraded my PC.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

If it's for the PC, I wouldn't, to be honest. It seems really hit or miss if your PC can run the game well, regardless of specs. 20 bucks for a console version and season pass would be fine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Capn Beeb posted:

Is $20 for this a fair deal for the game and season pass bundled in? Seems it's still pretty hit and miss with folks but I've been curious about it for a while, especially now that I've upgraded my PC.

Definitely.

There's a good game in there, once you get past issues with performance, the Batmobile, and the insubstantial DLC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finished up all the achievements at last and decided to call it a day - I could 3-star all the AR Challenges but there is just too much repetition there for my liking, so I only did what I needed for achievements. I've 100%ed every Arkham game (apart from Origins and its insistence on multiplayer achievements :argh:) and in the end I got as much fun and value for money out of this as I did all the rest. I was absolutely one of the lucky ones though, even on release the game ran fine for me, just without a lot of the graphical bells and whistles. Post-patches, it runs exactly as well but now with the graphics turned up higher so it's prettier.

ImpAtom posted:

It's inconsistent, which is part of the problem. It does run well for some people but it isn't reliable as to why.

Yeah, my computer is good but not great, and starting to get on in years, but it played the game fine on release. It didn't seem to be so much how powerful your computer was as whether your set-up just happened to mesh with what the game was trying to do. Which is what makes questions like the below so difficult to answer:

Capn Beeb posted:

$20 is a great deal for everything.... so long as the game actually runs well for you (or at all). There's no way of knowing without buying and trying, unfortunately. :shrug:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Season of Infamy is decent DLC and actually of a high quality.

The Batgirl DLC is disappointing but functional enough - it just feels very underdeveloped.

The "Arkham Episodes" are really drat short, and I found only the Robin one entertaining. The Nightwing episode is a rehash, and the Catwoman episode features the worst boss encounter of the entire series.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wish they had have made batgirl like a mini arkham asylum style area with metroidvania progression.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Haha, I requested, and received, a refund from GMG 2 months ago before the end of the year cutoff after getting 100%, and my key has yet to be deactivated. This game was definitely worth the price of free.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Jerusalem posted:

$20 is a great deal for everything.... so long as the game actually runs well for you (or at all). There's no way of knowing without buying and trying, unfortunately. :shrug:

Yeah, it's the premium edition so I'd be saving a bunch of money, but cdkeys doesn't do refunds in the chance it runs like poo poo.

I just miss Batpunchin' folks in the junk but feel I've played Arkham City to death :argh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I would say most performance problems have been fixed if you're running at sensible settings, and having an SSD helps. Also the gameworks features are hit or miss.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, it's the premium edition so I'd be saving a bunch of money, but cdkeys doesn't do refunds in the chance it runs like poo poo.

I just miss Batpunchin' folks in the junk but feel I've played Arkham City to death :argh:

It's probably the pinnacle of these types of games in terms of combat and stealth segments. I really liked the batmobile and enjoy beasting around in it more than gliding.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I really liked the batmobile and enjoy beasting around in it more than gliding.

The Batmobile was actually a fun aspect to use (I still prefer gliding), it was just a shame that the game shoves it down your throat early on which probably soured a number of people on it from the get-go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I liked hooning around in the Batmobile, but the combat never really worked for me. The areas were too small, the tools available were too limited, and the enemy variety was virtually non-existant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, I meant in terms of driving it around and stuff - the combat in it was pretty aggravating and never really changed up, they just threw more of the same 2-3 enemy types at you. I guess you could argue the same for the actual personal combat, but that always feels like there is more variety to it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Back before I refunded it for the PS4 version installing the PC version on my SSD pretty much immediately removed 90% of my problems.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Junior Jr. posted:

Either your PC's really lucky to run that game that's otherwise less than 30 FPS, or you tweaked the game's settings so the graphics don't glitch or lag as they normally do.

I honestly find this hard to believe.

I bought the game in the sale, maxed out everything and it ran at a solid 50+ fps. Would have been at 90 pretty much constantly if it hadn't been for the dynamic fog being an enormous performance hog. Actually came here to post how surprised I was over how well it ran now :shrug:

I do have a fairly new video card and installed the game on a SSD though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The overall impression I've gotten is that the Most Wanted expansion is kind of cool, while all the other DLC is either crap, or too insubstantial for the price. I'm not really interested in skins or challenge rooms. What DLC do people recommend I get, if anything?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe the Batgirl one? It's the only one of any substantial length, but I feel it's kind of a waste. Batgirl plays exactly the same as Batman, despite every story you get from Riddler puzzles involving her says that she uses escrima sticks while fighting.

Also the story being a prequel is a waste, could have had Jason as Robin to give him some more character development but they just went with Tim instead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Krazyface posted:

The overall impression I've gotten is that the Most Wanted expansion is kind of cool, while all the other DLC is either crap, or too insubstantial for the price. I'm not really interested in skins or challenge rooms. What DLC do people recommend I get, if anything?

My post near the top of the page lays out what I think about the DLC, if that helps. But the short short version is Season of Infamy is the only one I really recommend.

Veotax posted:

Maybe the Batgirl one? It's the only one of any substantial length, but I feel it's kind of a waste. Batgirl plays exactly the same as Batman, despite every story you get from Riddler puzzles involving her says that she uses escrima sticks while fighting.

Also the story being a prequel is a waste, could have had Jason as Robin to give him some more character development but they just went with Tim instead.

Well, I mean...probably couldn't have been about Batgirl if they hadn't made it a prequel, what with Barbara being in a wheel chair now.

Unless you were also saying they could have made it Batman and Jason Todd.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 7, 2016

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't mean that the story is a waste because it's a prequel, I meant that it didn't show or tell us anything new, like getting to see what Jason was like as Robin or something. Instead it's just a story about Batgirl stopping the Joker, it doesn't add anything to the overall Arkham story. It just feels like a waste of time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Veotax posted:

I don't mean that the story is a waste because it's a prequel, I meant that it didn't show or tell us anything new, like getting to see what Jason was like as Robin or something. Instead it's just a story about Batgirl stopping the Joker, it doesn't add anything to the overall Arkham story. It just feels like a waste of time.

Oh, as in the wasted the opportunity of it being a prequel by doing nothing interesting with it. My mistake.

In that case, I completely agree.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's weird that the game reused the Joker even after killing him off but it was actually one of the more enjoyable parts of the plot.

Good game with maybe a little too much tank.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I love how the scarecrow challenges have a high difficulty warning but are easy enough to 3 star first time, unlike some of the other batmobile challenges.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This game has some good rain.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

This game has some good rain.

It's so good they even let it rain indoors sometimes.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

dscruffy1 posted:

can't blame the dev team for that bug, gotham's residents just need better roofing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

dscruffy1 posted:

I've had that happen where Batman is talking to someone indoors, and it's raining. Pan to the guy he's talking to and no weather. Pan back to Batman and it's raining again. Dude always has a black cloud hanging over him. Hey Batman, it can't rain all the time! :banjo:

• Locked thread