Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Cicero posted:

Source on offshoring of well paid tech employees increasing after 2008 recession?
I was not referring to tech jobs and don't think I mentioned them in that comment.

Gail Wynand posted:

Offshoring hasn't been a thing for 10 years, turns out it doesn't work well for many projects. Where it does work, it's already happening. All the reviews of reported FB posts happen in the Philippines.

The really good engineers in India cost as much as anywhere else because they can work wherever they want. Beyond the very top schools in India, whose grads go straight to the West or upper management, the engineering and CS programs are so terrible that the outsourcing firms basically have to run their own universities.

Meanwhile wage costs in Singapore are basically the same as in the US, firms used to import underpaid Indians but the government is cracking down on that.
Didn't know that about Singapore, interesting. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that a company dedicated to making international money transfers as seamless and cheap as possible by using what looks like a more automated version of hawala is going to be financed by organized crime. The money laundering potential is too big to be ignored. See also Bitcoin.

It might not be financed by organized crime but it is going to be hevely used by them.

It's more the massive network of transnational workers need someone to transfer money and this works with there traditions but on the internet. Which is what all the best web business are.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sbaldrick posted:

It might not be financed by organized crime but it is going to be hevely used by them.

It's more the massive network of transnational workers need someone to transfer money and this works with there traditions but on the internet. Which is what all the best web business are.

Let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised if some of those VC's get some very interesting visits if they dare back out. :toughguy:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I worked at a startup whose core business was helping other startups, well, start up. Shaky business model where more goodwill was exchanged rather than currency, in the vein of "if you guys make it, you'll keep working with us!"
I think the company went through 2 restructures in the year and half I worked there, and of the 10 people working there, only four were left.

Granted, it worked slightly as the other startups were funded and started paying us for our work. Trickle down economics at its best! I got out of it rather quickly due to personal circumstances luckily.

The hub where we worked was probably one of the most obnoxious places ever. So many buzzwords, meaningless press releases and self-masturbatory business people who felt like they were going to change disrupt the world.

I only stuck by it because the startup we worked closest to had actual potential and was a social enterprise that I personally hoped would be a success.

The others? Not so much... The whole place was pretty much a Silicon Valley Cargo Cult in continental West Europe, with business owners who hoped their product would eventually be bought out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gail Wynand posted:

Offshoring hasn't been a thing for 10 years, turns out it doesn't work well for many projects. Where it does work, it's already happening.
At my husband's current startup, most of the contracted engineers are in Russia, and it's quite tricky setting up the once-a-day videoconferences.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

kliksf posted:

I miss fuckedcompany.com more than one of my friends ended up finding out he or she was about to be unemployed by checking the site regularly is there a twenty teens equivalent?
https://web.archive.org/web/20010515183530/http://www.fuckedcompany.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/2001060...=0&crapfilter=1

TheLayoff

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Before I moved to SF to work for a startup (that sells an actual product people find useful for actual money; imagine that!) I worked for one of the major tech companies remotely. We had team members in India. In the time I was there the Indian guys went from a 3:1 to 1.5:1 salary ratio. We started hiring Ukranian developers because we were desperate to find good people (we hired several US team members at the same time).

These days outsourcing software makes you nothing more than a reseller in almost any industry. Demand is so high globally that very few half-decent developers are willing to work for peanuts; if they want a headache they can work for western companies for high wages. If not they can work for someone local for slightly lower but still high wages.

If you think outsourcing is going to make a comeback then I would question whether you know anything about the industry.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ender.uNF posted:

If you think outsourcing is going to make a comeback then I would question whether you know anything about the industry.
It's just a "revenge of the nerds" type fever dream, except now it's more like "revenge on the nerds". A certain segment of the left sees techies (particularly those in startups) as ignoble looters who immorally profit from business ventures that are stupid at best and immoral & destructive at worst.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

It's just a "revenge of the nerds" type fever dream, except now it's more like "revenge on the nerds". A certain segment of the left sees techies (particularly those in startups) as ignoble looters who immorally profit from business ventures that are stupid at best and immoral & destructive at worst.

I suppose working for an advertising company would fall under the latter.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

shrike82 posted:

Still doesn't make any sense. Engaging in an offshoring exercise during a crash to cut costs would be more of a negative signal to investors.

Nope. It's 'Reacting strategically to the realities of a rapidly changing market, so as to maintain our commitment to value for our stakeholders'.

Cicero posted:

Or it's a documented fact that outsourcing and outsourcing related H1B visa violations are still going strong.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 22, 2016

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Or it's a documented fact that outsourcing and outsourcing related H1B visa violations are still going strong.
The companies we are talking about are not going to be hiring TCS or Infosys to build their software. Someone who suggested that would get laughed out of the room.

Large-scale corporate IT projects of the sort those outsourcing companies work on have little in common with the work that happens at most SV companies.

The jobs threatened by those firms are in non-tech industry corporate IT departments, which generally report to execs that have little understanding of technology but a high incentive to keep costs down.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yelp / Eat24 worker fired for posting on the internet about literally starving to death while working for food company.

The post:

https://medium.com/@taliajane/an-open-letter-to-my-ceo-fb73df021e7a#.5k265ghc9

The whole thing is a pro-read, except the comments, which are horrific.

The response:

http://www.businessinsider.com/talia-jane-fired-yelp-eat24-2-2016

Guys. Put down the pitchforks, OK? We're moving the whole operation to Phoenix where people don't complain about minimum wage. Also, incidentally, you're all fired.

You know, I read her story and all I could think was it took an avalanch of bad decisions to land her at that point.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Some articles on Transferwise.

Business model explained: https://www.saveonsend.com/blog/transferwise-money-transfer/

Revenue concerns: http://uk.businessinsider.com/transferwises-amended-2015-accounts-show-11-million-loss-on-97-million-revenue-2016-1

Also if you want to read more how government and private money is being spent in Eastern Europe on shady startups with questionable leadership and business models, go here: http://doteebubble.blogspot.com.ee/

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Anyone got similar info on Yelp? All this Yelp talk has left me wondering how the company makes any money at all.

Edit:vvv thanks, will look it up when I get home.

Freezer fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 22, 2016

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yelp's public. you can look at their IR website for financials.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wateroverfire posted:

You know, I read her story and all I could think was it took an avalanch of bad decisions to land her at that point.

gently caress stupid millennials, gently caress dumb techies, gently caress turbocapitalists, gently caress lolbertarians

it's perfectly ok to hate everyone involved

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Uber is about to get a massive publicity boost.

Money quote:

quote:

Authorities said they are investigating whether Uber driver Jason Brian Dalton may have given a harrowing ride to a passenger shortly before embarking on a shooting spree in Kalamazoo, Mich., that killed six — and that they are looking into whether Dalton may have continued picking up fares in the middle of his rampage.

That's the opening graf- the whole article is basically Voldemort seeking sustenance in the Dark Forest. I strongly recommend giving it a read.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 22, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

blowfish posted:

gently caress stupid millennials, gently caress dumb techies, gently caress turbocapitalists, gently caress lolbertarians

it's perfectly ok to hate everyone involved

all of these issues can easily be solved by just making slavery legal again, plus if we lock up whites in indentured service as well we can eliminate a lot of what makes tumblr go round in terms of privilege so win-win imo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How to make your PR team cry from the Guardian

quote:

“We are horrified and heartbroken at the senseless violence in Kalamazoo, Michigan,” Joe Sullivan, Uber’s chief security officer, said in the statement. “We have reached out to the police to help with their investigation in any way that we can.”

Later on Monday, Sullivan said the rampage could not have been predicted: “Overall his rating was good. 4.73.”

Yahoo’s Decision to Explore a Sale Exposes a Weak Board (New York Times, paywall)

quote:

It’s hard to believe, but after all these years, the Yahoo board is still a contender for America’s worst corporate board.

The announcement last week that the board is officially exploring “strategic alternatives” — code for a sale — and hiring advisers is confirmation that it is still stumbling, refusing to take a stand as its chief executive, Marissa Mayer, flounders.

Yahoo’s decision is something of an about-face from only a few months ago. Then, the board had decided that a spinoff of Alibaba stock was too risky. The issue was tax — the I.R.S. had stopped approving these transactions — and although its law firm was willing to bless the transaction, the Yahoo board decided not to go forward.

Instead, the company said that “market perceptions” dictated that it do another transaction. The board would spin off Yahoo itself and, for good measure, said it would consider “alternatives.”
But only a few months later, the board has again shifted course, this time initiating a full-fledged process to sell the company. An independent committee of the board has been formed, and lawyers and three investment banks — Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and PJT Partners — have been hired. Even the hiring of three banks shows the bloat at Yahoo as it searches for someone to lead it somewhere.

The company says that this is only one option, but independent committees have a life of their own. The train has started and it will probably stop at a sale.

Moreover, it is nearly impossible to run a turnaround plan when you are actively exploring a sale and are contacting bidders. The board knows this, and so the talk of a sale being “only an alternative” is cheap.

It’s exactly what a weak board would do at this time — throw its hands up, despite the possible value of waiting.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

C. Everett Koop posted:

all of these issues can easily be solved by just making slavery legal again, plus if we lock up whites in indentured service as well we can eliminate a lot of what makes tumblr go round in terms of privilege so win-win imo

Slavery is too expensive. Would you pay for a millenial that you have to provide food and shelter for? You wouldn't make anything out of it.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

on the left posted:

Slavery is too expensive. Would you pay for a millenial that you have to provide food and shelter for? You wouldn't make anything out of it.

Do we have a solution? Some kind of finality to this reasoning?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

on the left posted:

Depends on what you mean by "food and shelter".

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Coylter posted:

Do we have a solution? Some kind of finality to this reasoning?

It's a depressing point that minimum wage labor is more expedient and cost-effective than slave labor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How to make your PR team cry from the Guardian

The other .27 are dead.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Cicero posted:

Keep telling yourself that SV startup and those "nerds" are not contributing directly to the rise and expansion of the destructive 1099 economy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
so who do we all hate more now, finance or tech?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

cheese posted:

Keep telling yourself that SV startup and those "nerds" are not contributing directly to the rise and expansion of the destructive 1099 economy.

As someone who voluntarily works as a 1099 and receives about double in compensation as a result (yes, after benefits and yes I've run the comparison countless times), I'm curious what this "destructive 1099 economy" is. It of course depends on the work you do but 1099 has been highly profitable in my experience. It's always struck me as an outsider's perspective because most (but not all of course) good programmers I know go independent and are better off for it.

edit: by 1099 I mean I have an S-Corp (with 1 employee) that bills a large company hourly for the work I do — they give me a 1099 for this so I think it counts?

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Summit posted:

As someone who voluntarily works as a 1099 and receives about double in compensation as a result (yes, after benefits and yes I've run the comparison countless times), I'm curious what this "destructive 1099 economy" is. It of course depends on the work you do but 1099 has been highly profitable in my experience. It's always struck me as an outsider's perspective because most (but not all of course) good programmers I know go independent and are better off for it.

edit: by 1099 I mean I have an S-Corp (with 1 employee) that bills a large company hourly for the work I do — they give me a 1099 for this so I think it counts?

in this context it refers to "sharing economy" type jobs like uber/lyft where you're for all intents and purposes an employee of the company but you get 1099'd so the company can dump off all of its tax and insurance liability on you, as opposed to legit consulting (i.e. what you're doing)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

axeil posted:

so who do we all hate more now, finance or tech?

Tech. At least the finance people don't have any starry-eyed libertarian dreams about themselves as saviors of humanity

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Summit posted:

People are almost universally talking about gig economy bullshit like Uber when they complain about 1099 stuff. I'm a 1099 too (I'm a self employed software developer) and I'd never even consider trading it for a "stable" job, but that's because I get to reap all the actual benefits that come with self employment. That's a lot different from people who are employees in all but name.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

in this context it refers to "sharing economy" type jobs like uber/lyft where you're for all intents and purposes an employee of the company but you get 1099'd so the company can dump off all of its tax and insurance liability on you, as opposed to legit consulting (i.e. what you're doing)

Paradoxish posted:

People are almost universally talking about gig economy bullshit like Uber when they complain about 1099 stuff. I'm a 1099 too (I'm a self employed software developer) and I'd never even consider trading it for a "stable" job, but that's because I get to reap all the actual benefits that come with self employment. That's a lot different from people who are employees in all but name.

Ah, so in other words denying benefits with no increase in compensation to make up for it. Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Also, probably not referring to professionals who do it voluntarily.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

It's almost as if 1960s era labor law is out of date and needs to be updated to reflect 21st century realities.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

redscare posted:

It's almost as if 1960s era labor law is out of date and needs to be updated to reflect 21st century realities.

"Nah, it's pretty good honestly." ~ Uber spokesperson

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Summit posted:

Ah, so in other words denying benefits with no increase in compensation to make up for it. Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Also, probably not referring to professionals who do it voluntarily.

Yeah Dell was doing that to me when I was working as one of their field techs. Dell charged customers $170/hr for my labor, but I was only getting $15/hr of it. I was a subcontractor, so there were 2 hands in the cookie jar before I ever even got to look at my crumbs. Oh and of course no raises ever and no benefits to speak of. poo poo sucks and it's everywhere.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah Dell was doing that to me when I was working as one of their field techs. Dell charged customers $170/hr for my labor, but I was only getting $15/hr of it. I was a subcontractor, so there were 2 hands in the cookie jar before I ever even got to look at my crumbs. Oh and of course no raises ever and no benefits to speak of. poo poo sucks and it's everywhere.

I had a similar issue as a technical writer for a large software company. To the customer, my time was worth $200/hr. To the company, my time was worth one tenth that. It's rather galling when you realize the disparity.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's how all consulting works because there's a shitload of overhead costs, this is hardly unique.

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster
In addition to overhead, the company is getting paid because their brand and sales force, not your amazing connections, was the main reason you got the job.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

For a consulting operation, sales is overhead since you can't bill sales hours to the client directly. That said, making 10% or less of billable is pretty messed up for a skills based position.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yes clearly there was $180/hr of overhead on that contract, I believe this because I'm an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did they only pay you while you were working on contracts, or also when they didn't have work to give you? Billed contract rates have to cover downtime too. 10x is still pretty wild, though.