Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I might get tempted by the Note 6 but all my memories of Samsung are bad :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vodafone (UK) have had RCS for a year or so already, though I don't know anything about their implementation or how good it is because Vodafone is the one network that I do not know one single person on (because it's expensive and contract-focused, probably).

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Tunga posted:

Vodafone (UK) have had RCS for a year or so already, though I don't know anything about their implementation or how good it is because Vodafone is the one network that I do not know one single person on (because it's expensive and contract-focused, probably).
Yeah, mine (teliasonera) was apparently supposed to roll it out around 3-4 years ago, but i can't find any more information about it.

Either way I'd probably wait until Google is done with the app before i consider it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Carriers just want a way to get the good old days of SMS back. Charging ridiculous amounts of money for a service that's basically free of cost for them.

The advent of smartphones and messengers really hosed with their game. At least in Europe that is. Most people here use Whatsapp or similar messengers.
They tried to sell their customers more expensive plans with SMS flat rates but who needs those when they can use an instant messenger "for free" (apart from the data usage)

I'm sure they'll somehow find a way to sell that RCS protocol as a premium service that costs a little extra if you want to use it. gently caress mobile carriers.

/rant over I guess

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Logikv9 posted:

I might get tempted by the Note 6 but all my memories of Samsung are bad :shrug:

Samsung phones as of like the s4 are real good and people only bitch about touchwiz which has been steadily watered down and edging closer to stock ever since

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I like the sound of it too, but I absolutely detest the stuttering you get in navigating Samsung devices, even the S6. On my Xperia Z3 Compact, on 6.0.1, multitasking is fast and fluid and zipping around the UI is lag- and stutter-free. I had a muck around on a friend's S6 Edge last week and flicking through the open apps stuttered quite a bit.

I know the S6 is pushing a hell of a lot more pixels, but they shouldn't be shipping such high resolutions if it's going to give a poor experience.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

vyst posted:

Samsung phones as of like the s4 are real good and people only bitch about touchwiz which has been steadily watered down and edging closer to stock ever since

I was using a Note 4 for a year and it was awful. The phone would stutter constantly, overheat, and the battery would die quickly. The recent tasks key took at least 5-6 seconds to load each time, and the camera literally wouldn't focus occasionally unless I hit it. I did my usual stuff of factory resetting, etc but even with nothing other than the stock bloat installed, it was bad :shrug: I had the S4 beforehand and it was pretty bad too, but that was probably because I rooted and did all that stupid poo poo to it, so I blame myself.

I was contemplating going full masochist and getting a Note 5 (versus the MXP I ended up getting) but I couldn't rationalize going back after the experience I had. What usually gets me is that the hardware is so drat good :argh: so I'm not ruling out a return, but it wouldn't be anytime soon.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I am absolutely lusting after the G5. I'm so bored of my Nexus ( I am being serious but I know that's a trigger, sorry ).

It just looks interesting, I think that's one of the reasons I wanted a PRIV so badly too. Give me some weird accessories, do something different other than releasing the exact same goddamn phone but with slightly newer internals - that's why the S7 just doesn't seem interesting at all, it's the same poo poo, again.

If I can find a way to do it, I am totally going to get one, and then all of the accessories ( except the B&O DAC, I just don't care about upsampling Google Play Music and not being able to hear a difference ). The SLR camera grip w/ dedicated button & increased batter size is money and I love the idea of multiple camera lenses built-in to the phone itself ( though I agree, I think a Zoomed one would have been better ). I mostly use my cell phone for taking pictures anyways these days. The little rollerball looks awesome, and I actually like the idea of their VR solution as long as it doesn't pull my ears off - current VR solutoins frankly kind of suck and are uncomfortable - I hate feeling like it's this big process trying to strap in and everything. Give me a pair of glasses I can just slip on and take off and I'm sold.

Basically, I think I must be their target demographic.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TollTheHounds posted:

I am absolutely lusting after the G5. I'm so bored of my Nexus ( I am being serious but I know that's a trigger, sorry ).

It just looks interesting, I think that's one of the reasons I wanted a PRIV so badly too. Give me some weird accessories, do something different other than releasing the exact same goddamn phone but with slightly newer internals - that's why the S7 just doesn't seem interesting at all, it's the same poo poo, again.

If I can find a way to do it, I am totally going to get one, and then all of the accessories ( except the B&O DAC, I just don't care about upsampling Google Play Music and not being able to hear a difference ). The SLR camera grip w/ dedicated button & increased batter size is money and I love the idea of multiple camera lenses built-in to the phone itself ( though I agree, I think a Zoomed one would have been better ). I mostly use my cell phone for taking pictures anyways these days. The little rollerball looks awesome, and I actually like the idea of their VR solution as long as it doesn't pull my ears off - current VR solutoins frankly kind of suck and are uncomfortable - I hate feeling like it's this big process trying to strap in and everything. Give me a pair of glasses I can just slip on and take off and I'm sold.

Basically, I think I must be their target demographic.

After thinking about it, my main question is: why use the modular system if you have to power down and reboot the phone every time you want to swap accessories? The whole thing starts to feel like a gimmick where they started out with the goal of a removable battery and then someone said "let's make the battery compartment cap swappable too!". I mean, you already have USB C which can support tons of bandwidth, so you could replicate modular functionality via external modules that would be operated in nearly the same fashion except it would be hot-swappable. The only downsides would be the possibility of modules being slightly bulkier and a lack of secure attachment ports so you can wave the phone around without worries, but both of those could be engineered out if the designers assumed a USB based modularity from the start.

I guess there is value in having a single baseline model and allowing people to 'upgrade' to a bonus feature set of their choosing, but I'm not seeing an appeal for getting more than one or possibly two modules. You're also waiving the possibility of using a case with your phone, unless you get custom cases to go with every module (goddamn would that be a pain in the rear end whenever you wanted to swap modules).

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

isndl posted:

After thinking about it, my main question is: why use the modular system if you have to power down and reboot the phone every time you want to swap accessories? The whole thing starts to feel like a gimmick where they started out with the goal of a removable battery and then someone said "let's make the battery compartment cap swappable too!". I mean, you already have USB C which can support tons of bandwidth, so you could replicate modular functionality via external modules that would be operated in nearly the same fashion except it would be hot-swappable. The only downsides would be the possibility of modules being slightly bulkier and a lack of secure attachment ports so you can wave the phone around without worries, but both of those could be engineered out if the designers assumed a USB based modularity from the start.

I guess there is value in having a single baseline model and allowing people to 'upgrade' to a bonus feature set of their choosing, but I'm not seeing an appeal for getting more than one or possibly two modules. You're also waiving the possibility of using a case with your phone, unless you get custom cases to go with every module (goddamn would that be a pain in the rear end whenever you wanted to swap modules).

Totally valid points, I'm really approaching this more from the perspective of leaving the camera module in all the time and not using a case. So in my use-case, other than the initial swap out, it'd be one module in there 24/7. I'm not really concerned about a case and wouldn't be regularly swapping modules out - but I COULD if I wanted to.

I can see them not making it a USB thing because that adds extra bulk, I mean imagine their current modules but sticking that extra 1cm out - it would make something that is already kind of ridiculous, MORE ridiculous.

I think more than anything I just want options even if I don't use them regularly ( or ever ) - I have a choice. My Nexus 5x is great and all, no real complaints but it's just so drat plain and restricted. There are no accessories other than a case, there's no flexibility if I want to add memory ( although 32GB does seem to be working for me ), Stock Android is honestly kind of boring and while I get the technical background differences my daily use is 100% unchanged from my Z2 on Lollipop ( my battery is much worse though ).

My primary motivation for getting a Nexus was because I'd never had one and had been tired of always waiting for upgrades from non-Nexus brands, but now that I'm on the other side the grass is not really greener in any way I can quantify except for the camera.

I'll be keeping this nexus for android app dev stuff and/or may root/mod it just for the hell of it ( stuff I won't do while it's my only phone ). It's not a BAD phone, it's just boring.

I feel like LG has made a really big step here in smart phone development with these modules. It's like a very stripped down version of Project Ara, and hopefully will herald a new era of modularity. Sure right now it's inconvenient to swap these modules but maybe the G6 will make it so you don't have to power down ( built-in tiny battery just to keep it on for a few minutes while you swap out ), or the G7 will let you bump the RAM or CPU, who knows? That's why this excites me - for something in this field to change, someone has to take the first step, and LG just did it.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 23, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Boring phones are the best phones.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Boring phones are the best phones.

"An engineer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" -Leonard Nimoy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

$499 for the S7 Edge in Canada on a 2 year contract. Maybe I won't be getting it :|

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

$499 for the S7 Edge in Canada on a 2 year contract. Maybe I won't be getting it :|

Not so clever about your Canada > US quips now, are you!?!?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Not so clever about your Canada > US quips now, are you!?!?

:negative:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CLAM DOWN posted:

$500 AFTER a contract? LOL.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TollTheHounds posted:

I feel like LG has made a really big step here in smart phone development with these modules. It's like a very stripped down version of Project Ara, and hopefully will herald a new era of modularity. Sure right now it's inconvenient to swap these modules but maybe the G6 will make it so you don't have to power down ( built-in tiny battery just to keep it on for a few minutes while you swap out ), or the G7 will let you bump the RAM or CPU, who knows? That's why this excites me - for something in this field to change, someone has to take the first step, and LG just did it.

I basically think anyone could eat LG's lunch if they pushed USB-based modules right now. Being able to hot-swap is a feature so important for mass acceptance that it can't really be understated. :shrug:

Imagine if Google started pushing a line of Nexus-compatible modules, you could get one and start using it on your boring phone right now. When you're showing it off to your friends you could pop it off and hand it to them to try on their own phone. For a manufacturer like HTC with phones that haven't changed shape in years, they might be able to swing a huge captive audience if they have a line of modules to discourage people from switching away.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Yup. $1000 CAD outright.

:|

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

isndl posted:

I basically think anyone could eat LG's lunch if they pushed USB-based modules right now. Being able to hot-swap is a feature so important for mass acceptance that it can't really be understated. :shrug:

Imagine if Google started pushing a line of Nexus-compatible modules, you could get one and start using it on your boring phone right now. When you're showing it off to your friends you could pop it off and hand it to them to try on their own phone. For a manufacturer like HTC with phones that haven't changed shape in years, they might be able to swing a huge captive audience if they have a line of modules to discourage people from switching away.

The irony is the LG modules do communicate via USB 3.0, it's just that pulling them pulls the battery.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ilkhan posted:

Canadian currency is currently very bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's brutal right now, even the cost of things like fruit have gone up 20%+ because we import a lot of things. Not to mention phones and videogames and electronics, rip

Anyways sorry for the derail, maybe I'll beg my boss to sign off for one, my work contract is up and we're switching to Knox

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I'm probably the only one in the world with this problem, rather than the reverse - I got a new car that has a built-in Android Auto/Carplay system. And that all works great. But for some reason, whenever I connect it, it also automatically turns on and connects my bluetooth. This would be fine, except for some reason every time it does so, when I pull out my phone it gives me the messages to add a trusted device, give it access to my messages, etc. No matter how many times I do it, it still keeps popping up. So I want to disable bluetooth completely on my phone (Nexus 6P) since I don't *think* that's required for Android Auto to make calls, etc. However, every time I turn it off, it turns back on when I plug the phone into the car. Any idea how to get it to stop doing that?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's a "feature" of Android auto. It forces Bluetooth because it uses it for phone calls. As far as I know there's no way around it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Logikv9 posted:

and the camera literally wouldn't focus occasionally unless I hit it

Defective unit, my first one did this. Swapped it out at T-Mobile and it was a fine and good phone.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
In other Samsung news, the S7 and S7E do not come with Samsung's Video or Music players, instead they bundle the Google Play ones.

Also: low light camera performance comparison versus iPhone 6s and Galaxy S6

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah that's a "feature" of Android auto. It forces Bluetooth because it uses it for phone calls. As far as I know there's no way around it.

From what I've ready about AAuto yeah that's just how it's designed.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

In other Samsung news, the S7 and S7E do not come with Samsung's Video or Music players, instead they bundle the Google Play ones.

For the love of god, Samsung, your hardware is so good, just offer a "pure" model and let the people be freeeeeeee

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Butt Savage posted:

For the love of god, Samsung, your hardware is so good, just offer a "pure" model and let the people be freeeeeeee

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Butt Savage posted:

They did and no one bought it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Canadian currency is currently very bad.

Enjoy all that free healthcare you fuckers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Because you couldn't buy it for $200 at your local carrier store, and if you're the type to buy unlocked phones, it wasn't $300 better than the Nexus selling on the same website.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Endless Mike posted:

Because you couldn't buy it for $200 at your local carrier store, and if you're the type to buy unlocked phones, it wasn't $300 better than the Nexus selling on the same website.
To be fair I don't think the S7E is $300 better than a 6P, either.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

broken clock opsec posted:

This is great, and probably long over-due.

Butt Savage posted:

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

To be fair, they did that when their phones were still made out of plastic and also the price scared people away compared to Nexus phones at the time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

To be fair I don't think the S7E is $300 better than a 6P, either.
Maybe not, but the more pertinent question for consumers (in the US, at least) now is whether it's $12.50/month better, and it might just be.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I sometimes wonder what the advantage of even having TouchWiz is. Do people actually like it? Like, are there people out there who buy a Samsung phone just for the OS skin? I don't know if TW makes it easier for them to bake in features or what. I'm just happy that they've finally made it easy to replace all the bad stuff, and other than the notification shade my Note 5 doesn't really look different from my Pixel C.

I get that most people who get one of these phones probably don't even know what TW is, or maybe even Android, but it doesn't really make the phone easier to use. It just seems like a bad addition in most ways.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ugh Samsung, you tease the best hardware but heap a bucket of poo poo on it with your software. They should have bought Motorola and just replaced Touchwhiz with the Moto stuff. All that "life assistant" poo poo is just a failed, overwrought, hamfisted attempt to do what Moto does anyway, because (at least in the case of the Moto X) Motorola doesn't try to sell a bunch of branded services which come standard from Google anyway.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

Ugh Samsung, you tease the best hardware but heap a bucket of poo poo on it with your software. They should have bought Motorola and just replaced Touchwhiz with the Moto stuff. All that "life assistant" poo poo is just a failed, overwrought, hamfisted attempt to do what Moto does anyway, because (at least in the case of the Moto X) Motorola doesn't try to sell a bunch of branded services which come standard from Google anyway.

Good should really get off their rear end and do some multi-window poo poo already though. I use it all the time on my Galaxy Tab and it's great.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

I sometimes wonder what the advantage of even having TouchWiz is. Do people actually like it? Like, are there people out there who buy a Samsung phone just for the OS skin? I don't know if TW makes it easier for them to bake in features or what. I'm just happy that they've finally made it easy to replace all the bad stuff, and other than the notification shade my Note 5 doesn't really look different from my Pixel C.

I get that most people who get one of these phones probably don't even know what TW is, or maybe even Android, but it doesn't really make the phone easier to use. It just seems like a bad addition in most ways.

Probably has something to do with it being a relic of an attempt at differentiation during a time when Android was loving hideous, lacked features, and all the OEMs were fighting each other to give users a serviceable and attractive Android experience so people would buy their phones over the other guy's. Samsung was smart enough to stick to a memorable and recognizable brand (Galaxy) and market it like the iPhone alternative. So people stuck with that if they didn't want/couldn't afford iPhone, TW and all. Nevermind the fact that Samsung sincerely believed they could turn Android into their own iOS and add lovely Samsung apps and whatnot and push away anything that had to do with Google.

Nowadays TW seems less and less useful since Google has vastly improved the Android experience and added awesome features that Samsung would kill to know how to invent and implement themselves without turning the phone into a bloated mess. But it looks like Samsung seems to have gotten the message and have slowly started to tame it.

e:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Good should really get off their rear end and do some multi-window poo poo already though. I use it all the time on my Galaxy Tab and it's great.
Love using it on my little S3. Yeah the screen is tiny, but it's still a neat feature have. Samsung nailed that functionality, at least.

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 23, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Butt Savage posted:

Probably has something to do with it being a relic of an attempt at differentiation during a time when Android was loving hideous, lacked features, and all the OEMs were fighting each other to give users a serviceable and attractive Android experience so people would buy their phones over the other guy's. Samsung was smart enough to stick to a memorable and recognizable brand (Galaxy) and market it like the iPhone alternative. So people stuck with that if they didn't want/couldn't afford iPhone, TW and all. Nevermind the fact that Samsung sincerely believed they could turn Android into their own iOS and add lovely Samsung apps and whatnot and push away anything that had to do with Google.

Nowadays TW seems less and less useful since Google has vastly improved the Android experience and added awesome features that Samsung would kill to know how to invent and implement themselves without turning the phone into a bloated mess. But it looks like Samsung seems to have gotten the message and have slowly started to tame it.

This makes sense. I actually like the TWO notification shade. The only thing that still annoys me about the Galaxy line is every time I see Galaxy apps autoupdating. The Galaxy app store is so, so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

Only turbo nerds get really salty about touch wiz. It's perfectly serviceable and now as of my galaxy s6 edge the only unmodifiable part of it is the lock screen.