Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Actually it is a positive unless you can demonstrate those assaults are still happening but elsewhere.

He can't because they aren't:

quote:

32%–40% drop in assaults across the CBD Entertainment Precinct, and... no increase in the number of assaults in neighbouring police command areas during the 12 months after the changes. https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2015/203/9/presentations-alcohol-related-serious-injury-major-sydney-trauma-hospital-after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Everyone entering a venue after a certain time must wear a bike helmet as protection against assault.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

KingEup posted:

What kind of loving bizarro world logic is this.

Pretend there are 10 assaults on Saturday night in King X and 10000 people go through the area prior to the lock out laws.

After the lockout laws only 5000 people go through Kings X and there are 6 assaults.

That is less assault. 4 people who would've been injured are not being injured.

Regulating the sale of psychoactive drugs like alcohol is a good thing. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you can do it wherever you want whenever you want.

its right there in your post. 50% the number of people and a less than 50% reduction in violence means the lockout laws make it statistically more likely you are going to get assaulted and needlessly takes a dump on a tonne of businesses and one of the best places for young people to earn an income gets destroyed.

also you are literally supporting a law thats designed to funnel people that you think have addiction problems into establishments literally designed to unfairly suck the money from people with addiction problems.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 22, 2016

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Take that wowsers.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Why the gently caress would you be proud of walking infront of a moving car. You are an actual moron who somehow hasn't being natural selectioned for 30+ years

Why the gently caress would you be proud of breaking the law to run a pedestrian down? Maybe you're just some sort of :biotruths: type who thinks might makes right?

---

I think the average pedestrian is probably sharper intellectually than the average driver, because for years and years he's had to live by his wits. Consequently, there has evolved a race of pedestrians who are more agile mentally than the rest of us.

Birb Katter fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 22, 2016

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

death_is_certain.png

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-22/cardinal-george-pell-calls-for-investigation-into-police-leak/7190216

quote:

Cardinal George Pell has written to Acting Victorian Police Minister Robin Scott asking for an inquiry into a "maliciously timed" leak concerning a police investigation into abuse allegations.

:ironicat:

Would you turn up to answer questions regarding THAT investigation you massive piece of poo poo?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Zenithe posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-22/cardinal-george-pell-calls-for-investigation-into-police-leak/7190216

Would you turn up to answer questions regarding THAT investigation you massive piece of poo poo?

"We would love to investigate it but considering your current ill health we wouldn't want to do anything that jeopardises it"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

giving way to people who walk out in front of you is not possible and is different to giving way to people already there hth

Are you misconstruing people who walk in front of a car unannounced from a hidden location with people who visibly step on to a crosswalk with the knowledge that cars should yield for them?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Zenithe posted:

I really don't know how to take that.

"maliciously timed" Jesus Christ

Negligent posted:

Everyone entering a venue after a certain time must wear a bike helmet as protection against assault.

M-bison-yes.gif

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

KingEup posted:

At some point you will get diminishing returns. I would be open to trialling a 12:30 lockout to test the hypothesis.

do you ever leave your house

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
How about we make lockout laws from 3pm rather than 3am. When the suits can't get a beer after work the narrative will change.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

hooman posted:

I only chose that limit because that is the current maximum for the state I live in. I'm totally open to having a discussion about what "safe" speeds are, or about what reasonable maximum speeds are. I'm trying to get an understanding of the rationalisation behind why cars are made to be able to go faster than that. The authoritarian megahitler that I am.
more of a Pol Pot imo, Hitler built autobahns, pol pot took peoples cars away.

people build things all the time that exceed their recommended capabilities, and theres something in the way that laws are barriers to actions in the mind rather than physical.
building an engineering solution to a risk is generally the best way to reduce and remove that risk, but it is also the least flexible to change.
manufacturers still make cars capable of driving off roads, in large volumes, even though the statistics show the vast majority of cars drive on roads their entire service life. The option is still there for those to choose it, either as a matter of adventure, their job or necessity.

Australia is becoming a country of legislating safety, and i think this is a trait of our culture of irresponsibility.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Birb Katter posted:

How about we make lockout laws from 3pm rather than 3am. When the suits can't get a beer after work the narrative will change.

Bring in prohibition imo, alcohol merely promotes immoral behaviours and distracts people from what is truly important: full communism now.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Thanks for your thoughts Bernardi

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

redweird posted:

What kind of argument is that? There's a lot of stuff you can't do at 3am, but drinking is definitely not one of them. A lot of people revel until the early hours of the morning. People do it all over the world.

People do lots of things around the world that we don't do here. Getting hosed up and scoffing pingers all night is a privilege not a right and if people can't do it without bashing some poor bastard then that privilege gets taken away.

Alcohol directly causes or exacerbates a fuckton of societal problems anyway, reducing people's ability to drink vast quantities of it is a good thing.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

gay picnic defence posted:

People do lots of things around the world that we don't do here. Driving is a privilege not a right and if people can't do it without giving way to pedestrians when required then that privilege gets taken away.

Driving directly causes or exacerbates a fuckton of societal entitlement anyway, reducing people's ability to drive is a good thing.

ftfy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

True as well.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Timeline: Why Save the Children workers want almost $1 million compensation from the Federal Government

Nine Save The Children staff who were at the centre of a political storm surrounding the Nauru Detention Centre have lodged a compensation claim against the Federal Government of nearly $1 million.

The staff were removed from the small Pacific island of Nauru after an internal security report suggested the workers were involved in political activism by coaching asylum seekers to self-harm and to fabricate stories of abuse.

Documents obtained by 7.30 show that the nine workers will claim for loss of income, consolation for pain and suffering and hurt and humiliation and damage to reputation on Monday.

They will also request a formal apology from the Government that acknowledges the Government's actions damaged their reputation and caused embarrassment.

A spokeswoman from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection said:

"The Department continues to engage with Save the Children Australia and former staff, through their legal representatives, and is aiming to settle their claims as quickly as possible."

Here's how the events unfolded:

Aug 1, 2013
Save The Children begin work on Nauru
An initial one-year contract begins allowing Save The Children to provide education and protection services and welfare services to minors in detention centres on Nauru. The contract was valued at $36,740,058.53.

February 2014
Services expand
Save the Children services expanded to include welfare, recreation and education services. The contract is changed to from a solely child welfare focus to providing services to families, childless couples and single adult women.

September, 25 2014
New policies introduced
The Australian Government introduces legislation to Parliament to resurrect the Howard-era temporary protection visa (TPVs), and to create a new visa called a safe haven enterprise visa (SHEV). The bill also moves to classify babies born to asylum seekers in Australia as "unauthorised maritime arrivals" to ensure they will be blocked from applying for a permanent protection visa and can be resettled offshore. Then-immigration minister Scott Morrison sends a video message to transferees on Nauru and Manus Island offshore processing centres.

September 29, 2014
First allegations of abuse on Nauru
Fairfax reports allegations of sexual abuse of women and children and threats of rape by guards working in the detention centre on Nauru.

October 2, 2014
Staff accused in internal report
Ten Save the Children staff are accused of coaching asylum seekers to self-harm in an internal report by the other service provider on the island, Transfield (now Broadspectrum). The six employees who on the island are removed.

October 3, 2014
Staff suspended
The nine employees who were still employed by Save The Children are issued a removal letter suspended on full pay. The six employees who were on the island are deported by the following day. Immigration minister Scott Morrison orders an independent investigation into sex abuse claims and the alleged coaching of the asylum seekers to self-harm and refers the matter to the Australian Federal Police. Save the Children advise the Nauru Minister for Justice and Border Protection, David Adeang, that the organisation rejects the allegations of inappropriate behaviour and is willing to cooperate with the review.

March 20, 2015
Staff are cleared
The independent review chaired by Philip Moss clears Save the Children staff of any fabricated abuse allegations or coaching. It also finds evidence of sexual abuse in detention centre.

May 15, 2015
Another review ordered
The Immigration Department, headed by Peter Dutton, commissions an independent report by the Adjunct Professor Christopher M Doogan in response to the Moss report.

October 15, 2015
Nauru police raid
Save the Children offices are raided twice by Nauruan Police accompanied by Australian Border Force. Laptops and phones are seized. Staff are accused of leaking information, especially emails regarding journalists' entry to the centre from the Nauru Operations Manager.

October 31, 2015
Transfield wins Nauru contract
Transfield (now BroadSpectrum) takes over Save the Children's welfare services role on Nauru, after winning the bid for Save the Children's contract which expired on October 31. The contract outlines that they will also manage security on Nauru and Papua New Guinea and is worth $1.2 billion. A handful of Save The Children employees remain on island to finalise affairs and complete the transition to the new service provider. They say they are completely off the island by mid-November.

January 15, 2016
Doogan report public
The second review by the Department of Immigration, the Doogan report is made public. It says Save the Children workers should receive compensation and that their removal was not justified.

February 22, 2016
Compensation claim lodged
Lawyers for nine Save The Children workers lodge to seek compensation from the Federal Government for nearly $1 million for the loss of income, pain and humiliation the forced removal caused.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-22/timeline-save-the-children-workers-on-nauru/7180992

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Birb Katter posted:

I think the average pedestrian is probably sharper intellectually than the average driver, because for years and years he's had to live by his wits. Consequently, there has evolved a race of pedestrians who are more agile mentally than the rest of us.

This but unironically.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm the first to admit I speed way too much and occasionally break other road rules to make my life easier but jesus loving christ how are you so loving stupid as to not realize that if you hit someone at a pedestrian crossing that is ALWAYS your fault?? You shouldn't have a drivers license, holy poo poo.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
BABY ASHA'S LAWYERS SAY THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHERE SHE OR HER FAMILY ARE

A small but scary and upsetting update to the baby Asha story - her lawyers have now sent statements to media, saying they literally do not know where Asha or her family are, nor can they get in contact with them.

#LetThemStay protestors felt as though they had received an (albeit small) victory yesterday, as it was announced that Asha would not be deported to Nauru, and would instead be in community detention in Australia.

Lady Cilento Children's Hospital in Brisbane posted an update this morning saying that Asha had been discharged from their care. And now, her family lawyer, Daniel Webb, Director of Legal Advocacy at the Human Rights Law Centre says they have not even been informed of the family's whereabouts and are "concerned:

"We have not been told where our client is currently located. We have formally requested access to our client repeatedly over the last 3 days but that access has been denied. We remain concerned for the welfare of our client, and request that we be able to speak to the family immediately to ascertain their welfare, location and receive instructions."

The legal group also included statements from Natasha Blucher, Family Advocate:

"I am very concerned for this family’s welfare. The usual process for community detention is the family is free to come and go, contact whomever they wish and try and lead a normal life. I am still being denied access to this family, and they have been unable to call me and other support people. I don’t understand why this is happening given the Minister’s commitment yesterday was that he would remove the family to community detention."

as well as Shen Narayanasamy, who is the Human Rights Director for Getup!:

"Yesterday, Immigration Minister Dutton fronted the nation’s press and announced Baby Asha and family would be moved into the Australian community. The Minister was forced into this policy backflip as a result of the community outcry and clinical decision made by Lady Cilento Hospital that neither detention in Brisbane, nor detention in Nauru was a safe home for this family.

Baby Asha’s family were then moved from the hospital at 4am this morning to an undisclosed location. The family’s lawyers and advocates have all been denied contact with this family. Currently, we do not know where Baby Asha is, and remain concerned for the welfare of this family."

We will keep you updated as we know more information. In the mean time, lets all keep Asha and her family in our hearts today.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/701901371289661440

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Only need the top half for interviews. Surely some pollie at some stage has been sitting behind their desk to camera with pyjama pants on.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
What does auspol think about lollipop ladies?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Big Willy Style posted:

An upstanding pillar of our society, helping to defend pedestrians, especially children, from the scourge of the automobile.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

Bolshie menace, just like traffic lights

Endman
May 18, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Bolshie menace, just like traffic lights

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Now is probably the perfect time for the ALP to change its policy on offshore detention without facing the blunt object known as the racist bogan vote.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

Now is probably the perfect time for the ALP to change its policy on offshore detention without facing the blunt object known as the racist bogan vote.

This post assumes the ALP wants to change its policy and would if it could

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

Target practice for my irl Carmageddon game. If they didn't want to be run over they shouldn't be standing in the middle of the road. They only have themselves to blame.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This post assumes the ALP wants to change its policy and would if it could

No don't you see the ALP are noble souls forced at gunpoint into supporting torture.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

I only chose that limit because that is the current maximum for the state I live in. I'm totally open to having a discussion about what "safe" speeds are, or about what reasonable maximum speeds are. I'm trying to get an understanding of the rationalisation behind why cars are made to be able to go faster than that. The authoritarian megahitler that I am.

Because if you make an engine that tops out at 110kmh it is A)super slow to get to that max speed and B) running at maximum output for long stretches of time (highway) is going to cause a lot of catastrophic failures. Air Fuel ratio on a traditional engine allows you to run a very lean mixture at cruising speed leading to much better efficiency, whereas running your engine at maximum output would mean you need a richer mixture that results in increased fuel consumption.

on top of that you also need to be able to tow things, or fill the car with crap/people/both and then suddenly your engine that tops out at 110kmh with a single occupant is now overheating and running inefficiently when theres a family and a weeks worth of luggage in the car or a small boat trailer on the back. which then all comes back to the efficiency of the engine, higher load needing more accurate and rich fuel mixture, more chance of failure, etc.

HookShot posted:

I'm the first to admit I speed way too much and occasionally break other road rules to make my life easier but jesus loving christ how are you so loving stupid as to not realize that if you hit someone at a pedestrian crossing that is ALWAYS your fault?? You shouldn't have a drivers license, holy poo poo.

I dont think anyone is arguing that, Im not. Being a pedestrian is not a right to throw away your concern for your own personal safety though and just take right of way without a second thought, because as we have discussed, not all pedestrians or drivers are paying attention.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 23, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Birb Katter posted:

How about making modest incremental changes and evaluating the effect?

BBJoey posted:

Bring in prohibition imo, alcohol merely promotes immoral behaviours and distracts people from what is truly important: full communism now.

You joke but many people mistakenly believe regulations are a slippery slope towards prohibition. They are idiots.

quote:

Prohibition is the opposite of regulation. Regulation works to the extent that it allows some level of social activity to continue; it becomes counterproductive when it drives users underground. Thus, in relation to alcohol and tobacco, we see a range of licensing controls, plain packaging laws, and so on, which limit the harms associated with these drugs precisely by adopting a regulatory approach. https://theconversation.com/groundhog-day-why-the-asylum-problem-is-like-the-drug-problem-16888

quote:

regulation and prohibition are fundamentally distinct legal regimes. The contrast between them is one of kind, not just degree http://wpsa.research.pdx.edu/meet/2012/carcieri.pdf

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 23, 2016

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
So Dutton is now implying that Asha's mother deliberately threw boiling water on her

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Article on Dutton saying injuries were deliberate

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Should have stayed with the narrative of the self harming baby imo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I would argue that people like Terri Butler are held at gunpoint on it and she wishes she was a Greens MP every day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Laserface posted:

I dont think anyone is arguing that, Im not. Being a pedestrian is not a right to throw away your concern for your own personal safety though and just take right of way without a second thought, because as we have discussed, not all pedestrians or drivers are paying attention.
A Saucy Bratwurst certainly is arguing that, and that's who my post was aimed at.

Yeah, you should be careful as a pedestrian because sometimes drivers aren't paying attention, but if they hit you in a crossing, it's still their fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

I would argue that people like Terri Butler are held at gunpoint on it and she wishes she was a Greens MP every day.

If only she had some choice in what political party to hold membership in.

Peter Dutton should unironically loving hang himself.

• Locked thread