Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can never think of Snow without hearing Pork Lift's nasally mocking "I'm a hero!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Someone in the old FF13 thread mentioned Snow looks like the sort who is always in a beanie because he has male pattern baldness and hair poking out of a beanie is the hip version of a combover. It stuck in my head so hard, it made the Snow bit in 13-2 hard to deal with the cognitive dissonance.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Snow has daze and the top tier cast animation so I give him 9/10, docking one point for not being Lightning.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

zedprime posted:

Someone in the old FF13 thread mentioned Snow looks like the sort who is always in a beanie because he has male pattern baldness and hair poking out of a beanie is the hip version of a combover. It stuck in my head so hard, it made the Snow bit in 13-2 hard to deal with the cognitive dissonance.

13-2's Snow is wearing a wig.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Snow has daze and the top tier cast animation so I give him 9/10, docking one point for not being Lightning.

I alwaysthought everyone had a Paradigm they were best at.
Fang for COM
Hope for SYN or RAV
Vanille for SAB
Snow for SEN
Sazh and Lightning...um...okay they kinda break my idea here.

Anyway, apparently Snow isn't even the best Sentinel because he's all about tanking. Other Sentinels, like Lightning, have Evade/Elude/something that can allow them to just straight up dodge everything. I recall there was even an accessory that boosted the chances of this happening. I had it in my inventory in my last run, no idea where I got it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Vitamin P posted:

Update; I purchased the video game Final Fantasy 13.

Pink hair lady is excellent at doing cool poses and that's everything I wanted from her. Afro man is asking the important questions. The children both seem like they have PTSD. Snow seems like an anime that had a gap year in Les Miserables, he's my favourite so far.

The sea that turned into crystal is a good landscape and the gameworld being a long corridor helps build scale and doesn't bother me much, maybe it will in a few hours.

I have no idea why they were suddenly in a temple instead of zion or what the big god statue was, the "We have always been at war with Pulse" is giving me an anime 1984 vibe.

In conclusion this seems like a solid video game.

This guy "gets" Final Fantasy. Hats off to you good sir.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

NikkolasKing posted:

I alwaysthought everyone had a Paradigm they were best at.
Fang for COM
Hope for SYN or RAV
Vanille for SAB
Snow for SEN
Sazh and Lightning...um...okay they kinda break my idea here.

Anyway, apparently Snow isn't even the best Sentinel because he's all about tanking. Other Sentinels, like Lightning, have Evade/Elude/something that can allow them to just straight up dodge everything. I recall there was even an accessory that boosted the chances of this happening. I had it in my inventory in my last run, no idea where I got it.

Nah, you're pretty much on the mark. Sazh is a better SYN than Hope by virtue of getting the important poo poo earlier (read: Haste) and actually being able to take a hit, Hope is your best RAV (best magic score and the only person to get all four -aga spells), and Lightning is a red mage in disguise. She's a good COM and a good RAV but you've got better ones of both (but she is a better RAV than a COM)

Also even without the ability to evade attacks, Snow is still the best SEN by virtue of having about 6,000 more HP than the closest competitor, to say nothing of the fact that Elude doesn't actually block anything if you don't evade the attack.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I used to hate Snow, before I learned to have fun. I don't even remember why.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'd argue Hope's best role is MED because his MAG is always sky high and he gets a good set of all the relevant healing stuff. Vanille edges him out in the early parts of the game before he starts to hit his stride but by end game he's the best MED of anyone. MED, RAV, and SYN are his absolute strong points though, which is fitting because they are the default roles he's given from the start. :eng101:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not really, he and Vanille are basically a dead heat for MED (Vanille gets Curaja earlier, and I think Hope gets some of the lower stuff a bit sooner but they both get everything), but it's really academic because once you hit endgame you're going to use Curasa/-aja 99% of the time which is a percentage based heal so the caster's magic doesn't matter.

Also again, Vanille can take a hit without falling over dead. Not more than one, mind you, but it's about a 3000 HP difference.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always wondered if characters had some invisible defense stat because Hope's HP didn't seem that much lower than everyone else's yet he died all the loving time.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I just gave Hope a Wurtzite Bangle but then I was cheating relentlessly by postgame so upgrading didn't faze me and there are probably better things to give him should you actually care on account of using him more than sparingly.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My final party composition through Gran Pulse and beyond was Fang, Vanille, and Hope and I got through with no real issues despite using both of the squishiest characters in one party. The HP difference isn't as huge a deal as it seems like.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wow, I thought I didn't care too much if I was spoiled on 12 but I am very glad I didn't see the events at the top op the Pharos beforehand. :allears: I can't decide what my favourite part was, "Famfrit, I choose you!" or the anime splitscreen between Basch and Galbraith. Ooh, or Reddas' last moments.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 23, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Wow, I thought I didn't care too much if I was spoiled on 12 but I am very glad I didn't see the events at the top op the Pharos beforehand. :allears: I can't decide what my favourite part was, "Famfrit, I choose you!" or the anime splitscreen between Basch and Galbraith. Ooh, or Reddas' last moments.

The top of the Pharos is the real climax of FFXII and is literal perfection.

Everything after just feels so...underwhelming by comparison.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

I always wondered if characters had some invisible defense stat because Hope's HP didn't seem that much lower than everyone else's yet he died all the loving time.

Hope has a LITTLE_WHINY_TWERP modifier in the math that brings him more aggro.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 4, 2018

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Friendly Factory posted:

So I finished FFIII on Steam. There were a few things that were required to make the game fun. These were of course mods. I modded experience levels so that it took half the amount to level up and modded the menus to look more like traditional FF menus. I will say that of the main series games I've played (all except II), it has the worst underlying systems. The main problem is that each job has 99 levels and it's just a massive time-waster. You're forced to grind at basically every dungeon.

One part I liked was when you were forced to be mini in the Nepto Temple, forcing you to use nothing but magic for a full dungeon. I like when JRPGs change up the normal flow of things occasionally. I wish the game did it more often. Not adding saves to dungeons in the remake is also another massive time-waster if you lose to the boss and need to start over.

It was sorta fun but kinda tedious. Now I'm moving on to VII, which I haven't played through in at least 10 years.

Friendly Factory posted:

One part I liked was when you were forced to be mini in the Nepto Temple, forcing you to use nothing but magic for a full dungeon. I wish the game did it more often.

:stare:

I mean I guess a mod probably made changing jobs on the game's whim less lovely? But yeah, while I'm not begrudging your opinion I can't think of very many others who share it. :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Last time I played FF8 I was in fourth grade and used a gameshark. How exactly do I go about bending the game over my knee and breaking the poo poo out of it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

Last time I played FF8 I was in fourth grade and used a gameshark. How exactly do I go about bending the game over my knee and breaking the poo poo out of it?

Short Answer: Do pretty much anything involving the junction system

Long Answer: Do pretty much anything involving the junction system and turn off random encounters by using the lamp Principal Cid gives you after passing your final exam and defeat the boss it summons

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Know which abilities to prioritise your GFs learning (HP and Str-J, RF abilities, Card Mod), then use them to refine poo poo you shouldn't have yet. A prime example is buying Tents, which you never can't do, and refine them into Curaga, which you can Junction to HP. This doesn't raise your current, only your max, so if you don't use inns you have the HP you're expected to have, and therefore enough to survive, but a max that makes the amount you have count as critical HP, setting off Limit Breaks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

Short Answer: Do pretty much anything involving the junction system

Long Answer: Do pretty much anything involving the junction system and turn off random encounters by using the lamp Principal Cid gives you after passing your final exam and defeat the boss it summons

But then how do you draw magic? And I remember Diablos being a dick. I'm assuming there's a way to punk him?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You don't draw, you refine. Waaaay faster and gets you poo poo early. Anything you need to draw like GFs, are from bosses or you can temporarily take off Enc-None.

Diabolos can be blinded, which neuters him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

So I finished FFIII on Steam. There were a few things that were required to make the game fun. These were of course mods. I modded experience levels so that it took half the amount to level up and modded the menus to look more like traditional FF menus. I will say that of the main series games I've played (all except II), it has the worst underlying systems. The main problem is that each job has 99 levels and it's just a massive time-waster. You're forced to grind at basically every dungeon.

One part I liked was when you were forced to be mini in the Nepto Temple, forcing you to use nothing but magic for a full dungeon. I like when JRPGs change up the normal flow of things occasionally. I wish the game did it more often. Not adding saves to dungeons in the remake is also another massive time-waster if you lose to the boss and need to start over.

It was sorta fun but kinda tedious. Now I'm moving on to VII, which I haven't played through in at least 10 years.

i'm guessing one of those mods was to make the penalty for switching not a pain in the rear end cause that dungeon is like one of the most hated (actually every dungeon is the most hated, FF3 is so bad)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
did steam add the ability to save in the last dungeon, that too would make me hate it way less

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

But then how do you draw magic? And I remember Diablos being a dick. I'm assuming there's a way to punk him?

Where we're going, you don't need random encounters to draw. Seriously though, you can learn refine which turns items/cards into magic, draw from draw points like the infinitely respawning pool of Ultima, or just do bosses and draw the good poo poo off of them.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 24, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Len posted:

AlphaKretin posted:

Diabolos can be blinded, which neuters him.

Well, sort of, but FF8's blind blows and it's just a %miss roll and he will still punch you hard. The best way to do him is the same way you'd do any other boss in the game: Card-RF some Wizard Stones, convert them to -aga spells, junction them to STR, and then one-shot him with Zell's limit break.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you Card even half the monsters on your way to getting Enc-None and the Rf abilities, you'll have enough excess cards to refine into items to refine into magic to set your junctions up until you get the spaceship for a trip to the draw islands.

Never mind if you enjoy Triple Triad the game just breaks in half.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For a man who can't eat hot dogs properly, Zell kicks an unbelievable amount of rear end in a fight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

zedprime posted:

If you Card even half the monsters on your way to getting Enc-None and the Rf abilities, you'll have enough excess cards to refine into items to refine into magic to set your junctions up until you get the spaceship for a trip to the draw islands.

Never mind if you enjoy Triple Triad the game just breaks in half.

I did love Triple Triad. Playing that can help make the game easier? I brute forced my way through before. Doing things like understanding mechanics was too much work so I just used my group of level 100 dudes to attack my way through things :downs:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That Ultima Draw Point is ridiculously annoying and takes way too long to restock. I think the quickest way to get Ultimas is drawing from Ultima Weapon. Granted, that's a good ways off in the future.

Then again, I last played FFVIII with a difficulty mod so I had to get those Ultimas. You don't need it at all in the base game. Meteor or Flare will do just as well for a good Str-J or whatever.

For good, easy powerful spells to get early, Abyss Worm cards are plentiful and refine into Tornado's which is a great attack stat junction IIRC.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 24, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Len posted:

I did love Triple Triad. Playing that can help make the game easier?

Quetzalcoatl learns Card Mod, which lets you turn your hard-won cards into items. You obviously wanna keep around your best cards to win more, but basically the chain is as follows:

1) Win card
2) Use Card Mod to turn it into an item--let's say Magic Stone for the sake of example
3) Use Lit Mag-RF to turn one Magic Stone into 10(?) stock of Thundara
4) Turn ten Magic Stones into 100 Thundara
5) Equip Thundara to Str-J, get like +60 Str

Different items and abilities turn into different spells or GF items. Balamb Garden at the very beginning of the game has some pretty high-level cards, including stuff like Elnoyle, which can be turned into Energy Crystals to make dumb poo poo like Disc 1 Lionheart. iirc in Zell's house, both his mom and Lil Bratty Bastard have pretty good cards, too, Zell's Card aside. You'll have to look up some guides to get the specifics, every single NPC has a unique list of cards they're able to use.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh!

First off, go to Balamb and find the Queen of Cards outside the train station. Start matches with her then quit and start again until you get Trade Rule: All. Then beat her. If it works right, All will spread to the rest of Balamb and the Garden. This allows you to take every card your opponent played if you win. They can also take all your cards if you lose though so be careful.

But believe me, it's a huge time-saver. You'll soon have more cards than you know what to do with.

You might want to get better cards before challenging her, though. The initial set of cards you are given totally suck. Beat Ifrit in the Fire Cavern and you'll get his card and that should be enough to start kicking rear end.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 24, 2016

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 4, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mandatory lesbian posted:

did steam add the ability to save in the last dungeon, that too would make me hate it way less

Ahahahahahaha

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FF3 is sad because it has some neat ideas but one version is an NES RPG and all the others are that trash remake.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Luckily there's no reason to play FF3 because FF5 and Bravely Default are the same thing but better

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fuuuuck Darkja having a Death proc is the worst poo poo. There's probably an accessory hidden in the loving Bazaar that protects against Death but there isn't a save point before the fight and I accidentally savestated over my prefight state after surviving the first Darkja, I don't want to have to go through the Abysteel Mines again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Where's a good place to get AP but not load up on XP in early ff8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There are some birds or something on the beach. They don't not give XP but you don't need to have none and they give 8 AP/encounter.