Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

SKY COQ posted:

As in, 28 points to unlock the full version of the ability?

So that gives you 18 leftover to split between sci and engineering.

I think this is the death knell of the One True Build.

Sorta?

Instead of choosing just one from your class you can have all three, and only 17 points leftover since we're only getting 45 on Tribble right now, but yeah it forces you to make hard choices about the other things you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unhappy Meal posted:

Sorta?

Instead of choosing just one from your class you can have all three, and only 17 points leftover since we're only getting 45 on Tribble right now, but yeah it forces you to make hard choices about the other things you want.

What's this Marked Foe thing, though? Isn't that a command officer thing?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

MikeJF posted:

What's this Marked Foe thing, though? Isn't that a command officer thing?

Didn't have time to take it for a spin, but it's probably the "Fire on my Mark" resistence debuff from the Tac skills.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Unhappy Meal posted:

Didn't have time to take it for a spin, but it's probably the "Fire on my Mark" resistence debuff from the Tac skills.

Lootcritter's a loving idiot and posted pictures of the modifiers to the ultimate abilities instead of the abilities themselves.

https://m.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/46o618/so_what_does_everyone_think_of_the_ultimate/

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

SKY COQ posted:

Lootcritter's a loving idiot and posted pictures of the modifiers to the ultimate abilities instead of the abilities themselves.

https://m.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/46o618/so_what_does_everyone_think_of_the_ultimate/

I blame our -wonderful- ability UI.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We should know by Cryptic's history that the tooltips will probably be wrong at worst or highly misleading at best anyway.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

SKY COQ posted:

Lootcritter's a loving idiot.

Thought that was pretty much common knowledge at this point.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
So the TOS Klingon uniform options and NPCs have been updated on tribble.

There is also NPC only Scotty hair in the Fed tailor.

Guess they're making a new TOS era mission

I wonder who they would get to voice Scotty. Won't be Simon Pegg, too expensive and wrong universe.

Doohan's son maybe? He would have to be SAG.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 21, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Well, the season theme is time fuckery so it's not surprising.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Tuskin38 posted:

I wonder who they would get to voice Scotty. Won't be Simon Pegg, too expensive and wrong universe.

Welshy, obviously.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aleth posted:

Well, the season theme is time fuckery so it's not surprising.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get inaugurated as a time agent and time fuckery becomes the new Iconian Threat for the next six seasons.

Well, next two. What's the pool on how long STO will keep getting updates again?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we get inaugurated as a time agent and time fuckery becomes the new Iconian Threat for the next six seasons.

Well, next two. What's the pool on how long STO will keep getting updates again?

Given we were crowing about the game being dead, what, this time last year? And they're now introducing new plot threads, a full skill revamp and planning a 50th anniversary event, I suspect it's safe to say game will continue in the medium term. The new Trek series will absolutely help in that regard too.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

Given we were crowing about the game being dead, what, this time last year? .

2013 at the very least

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

The game is dead, we are zombies, and whatever desperate Star Trek fans do to perpetuate it's existence will ensure many more years of this games funeral.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

lol

https://coffeeborg.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/skill-revamp-end-of-jan-jutsu/

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

And here I thought it was a good change since it lets me ignore regen entirely.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Can Buschmaki continue to protect people for their own good, though

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mondian posted:

2013 at the very least
Sometime during the beta, really.

Of course this game was absolute poo poo when it launched and was Atari's drunken mismanagement so it was an understandable sentiment.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Asimo posted:

Sometime during the beta, really.

Of course this game was absolute poo poo when it launched and was Atari's drunken mismanagement so it was an understandable sentiment.

What do you mean "was"? Okay, Legacy of Romulus. But come on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Atari managed to gently caress up Test Drive Unlimited 2 which was actually finished and really fun.

Of course they were going to gently caress up STO.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DancingShade posted:

Atari managed to gently caress up Test Drive Unlimited 2 which was actually finished and really fun.

Of course they were going to gently caress up STO.

If STO were literally any other IP, it would've died on launch. But it's Star Trek, so no matter how bad it is, easily-manipulated nerds will ensure that it is a massive monetary success until another movie or series manages to kills the franchise for a decade a la Enterprise.

This continued cycle of "poo poo-self -> patch madly -> get better-> achieve rough parity with The Good Old Days before making GBS threads self -> Maintain for a couple months ->poo poo self again -> repeat" they've had going since LoR is probably working out for them, honestly. People get annoyed, a few quit playing, game gets better, the people that stuck around rave about it, old subs come back to check it out and buy all those shiny new zen ships that released in the interim.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 22, 2016

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Dely Apple posted:

Can Buschmaki continue to protect people for their own good, though
It's not like any mortal could stop him, really.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah, it just means 25th century Star Trek people finally realized that coating consoles in pointless fuses and Russian reactive armor was a bad idea.
I'm pretty sure we died during the tutorial, and that the game plays out in purgatory (or hell).

How else would you explain the headless ghosts?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fakemirage posted:

I'm pretty sure we died during the tutorial, and that the game plays out in purgatory (or hell).

Whenever something strange happens, Q or an anomaly did it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's not like any of them are any good anyway but it's hard to judge when you're having trouble pushing double digits for DPS. Which is still amazing seeing as how when I play the game a lead weight and a drinking bird toy could do what I do and comfortably outdamage the rest of the team.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

quote:

There are not many people on STO who are dedicated to the Ground Combat the way I am

I mean I guess some people like to be tied up while a fat vixen stomps on their balls and to each their own I guess but jfc the ground combat in this game isn't fun. It could be fun but it still has gozer all over it or something. How could you be dedicated to that? :psyduck:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Cutedge posted:

I mean I guess some people like to be tied up while a fat vixen stomps on their balls and to each their own I guess but jfc the ground combat in this game isn't fun. It could be fun but it still has gozer all over it or something. How could you be dedicated to that? :psyduck:

He can see more of his space barbie harem on the ground than in space.

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within

fakemirage posted:

Cadets maybe? The server is called Holodeck.

AfroSquirrel posted:

He can see more of his space barbie harem on the ground than in space.

Slowly fist fighting across ground maps with his deliberate rising of passive Health Regen, he might like ChampO.

Jan Darkrider posted:

Zero passive Health Regen in Combat is entirely game-breaking for everyone

drat it feels good to be a space wizard.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah that's how you improve science by making it mandatory, gently caress making it good. All stupidity aside most of the regen comes from traits anyway so unless they kill those it won't change much at all.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Cutedge posted:

The Dyson ground battlezone map was fun, so I'm guessing they haven't released anything else like that since.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

The Dyson ground battlezone map was fun, so I'm guessing they haven't released anything else like that since.
They made a kobali ground battlezone. But they made it part of the delta quadrant levelling missions, and so they set all the enemies to level 52 (I guess that's where you're supposed to play it playing through normally). Which means that at level 60, you only get 1 XP when you kill an enemy. You would need to kill 250,000 kobali to gain a spec point at level 60. The dil rewards aren't good either.

Also, it doesn't have any space dinosaurs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

g0del posted:

They made a kobali ground battlezone. But they made it part of the delta quadrant levelling missions, and so they set all the enemies to level 52 (I guess that's where you're supposed to play it playing through normally). Which means that at level 60, you only get 1 XP when you kill an enemy. You would need to kill 250,000 kobali to gain a spec point at level 60. The dil rewards aren't good either.

Also you're fighting on the side of the pathetic bad guys.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Habits posted:

Cadets maybe? The server is called Holodeck.
So the game is just a really long Kobayashi Maru simulation?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

g0del posted:

It does the guild wars 2 thing of capping your level when you go into those areas. I think when I finished one of the events it gave me like 58 dilithium. :jerkbag:

The problem with the Kobali area (which I just finished last night, thank god) is that there are tons of random patrols and quick respawn times so it makes the entire thing just really frustrating. It's also basically the same guys from start to finish with no real variety.

And yeah the Kobali are a space plague that should be exterminated

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's also an "adventure zone" and not a "battle zone" like the voth one, so all there is to do there is a handful of daily quests rather than progressive zone control stuff you can repeat for marks/dil. So it's annoying and there's no reason to go there except for the final quest or two once a day for iconian tokens.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Yeah Kobali ground is more like New Romulus but with a bit more fighting, still lousy rewards.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Borticus posted:

"Particle Generators" will now be named "Exotic Particle Generators" to really nail home that terminology.

Abilities that benefit from it are going to be normalized, so that all Exotic Damage gets the same boost from the Skill. This will mean that some get more damage from Skill, while others will now get less.

I wonder if this will apply to radiation DOTs from weapons?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

I wonder if this will apply to radiation DOTs from weapons?

You know it will, but it will be scaled wrong. The fix will take longer the BFA fixes, with more hilarious results.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
Our stable and mature friend @captaingarystark seems to have crossed the point of no return:

I'm scared guys, he's going to find me and blow my head off with his pedophile ways.

**Edited for more of gary's tells

Nita fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 23, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Nita posted:

Our stable and mature friend @captaingarystark seems to have crossed the point of no return:

I'm scared guys, he's going to find me and blow my head off with his pedophile ways.

Don't sink to their level loving hell. You need to step back maybe play something else for a while. Or forever.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
Like Payday?

• Locked thread