Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Residency Evil posted:

Any links for us? I think it's going to be between this and a Cayman.

More like 25 lbs. America gets poo poo people would have added in anyway.

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-m2-is-only-25-pounds-lighter-than-the-bmw-m4-1759763699

A basic Cayman S is going to have a better power/weight ratio, less weight, and better chassis. Get the 6 cylinder while you can. Unless you're living in the past and blindly believe the 911 is better, the Cayman is the best handling and best looking coupe they make. Plenty of practicality with the trunk and frunk as well. I have a feeling the back seats in the M2 will be a complete joke.

Still pissed at Porsche for gimping the GT4 with an "underrated" engine and ridiculously long gearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

More like 25 lbs. America gets poo poo people would have added in anyway.

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-m2-is-only-25-pounds-lighter-than-the-bmw-m4-1759763699

A basic Cayman S is going to have a better power/weight ratio, less weight, and better chassis. Get the 6 cylinder while you can. Unless you're living in the past and blindly believe the 911 is better, the Cayman is the best handling and best looking coupe they make. Plenty of practicality with the trunk and frunk as well. I have a feeling the back seats in the M2 will be a complete joke.

Still pissed at Porsche for gimping the GT4 with an "underrated" engine and ridiculously long gearing.

I think the most responsible thing to do is going to be for me to wait till next year. I'm bummed about missing out on the gt4, but I'm sure porsche will come out with something to appease us.

Along the line of suvs, anyone have thoughts on the x5 vs q5 vs xc90? The girlfriend is looking for an SUV and I'm not going to argue.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anecdotal, but I've known three people with X5s (2012+) that all got rid of them for Fords due to being sick of quality issues.

And I see them broken down far more than any other suv as well.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

XC90 is best in class in safety and space. And seats.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The XC90 will sweetly caress your buttocks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The XC90 is cool and good and the T6 and T8 are twincharged which is awesome. (Tree hunnert twenny horses on a 2L 4pot? Yes please)

And it actually looks real nice which is a quality the X and Q dont have.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 21, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

only bourgeoi posers need more than an S10 with the iron duke

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
thats great and all but clearly you dont love your spouse enough if you arent buying them a $95,000 Escalade

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

El Scotch posted:

Don't you mean gently caress?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

JazzmasterCurious posted:

XC90 is best in class in safety and space. And seats.

El Scotch posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The XC90 is cool and good and the T6 and T8 are twincharged which is awesome. (Tree hunnert twenny horses on a 2L 4pot? Yes please)

And it actually looks real nice which is a quality the X and Q dont have.

Yeah, there's a part of me that can't wait to test drive the XC90 and feel that interior gently caressing me from behind. :gay:

The reviews it's getting don't hurt, although she also mentioned she likes the way the V90 looks so we might just wait till whenever that comes out. We have zero need for 7 seats so that might be a bit more practical right now as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Sicilian posted:

So what's AI's preferred (sport) sport utility vehicle?

1997 Ford Ranger 4WD 2-door with manual transmission and one of those LEER caps on the bed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Incidentally, while vacuuming my car this morning I was reading the GVWR/tire pressures/etc panel on the door sill, and I realized that Ford considers 4 adults to have a combined weight of 600 pounds.

The average American adult currently weighs 181 pounds. lol

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Incidentally, while vacuuming my car this morning I was reading the GVWR/tire pressures/etc panel on the door sill, and I realized that Ford considers 4 adults to have a combined weight of 600 pounds.

This is just one of the reasons the Firestone Explorer debacle was said to have happened. Probably didn't help the infamous Jeep Grand Cherokee "moose test" recently.

I forget if it was Nissan or Mitsubishi that was selling a 7-seater SUV that would be overloaded with three adults in it. No wonder they mandated TPMS.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I always think the same thing in elevators: CAPACITY 10 PERSONS OR 1400 LBS.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

The Sicilian posted:

So what's AI's preferred (sport) sport utility vehicle? I can swap out the Macan next year with my company for something comparable and would like something with decent interior room as I am 82" tall.

Any suggestions AI? The Macan has been great but if there's better...

"Sport" SUVs are a pretty stupid idea because what makes them an SUV hurts performance (height, weight, aero, etc).

The Macan is built off of a car chassis and weights ~4500lbs, which makes it one of the lighter SUVs. So, with 400hp it's actually quite fast and it has road holding comparable to a new WRX.

Sagebrush posted:

:911:

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 22, 2016

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I've only spent an hour in the XC90 T8 so far, but we should have one coming for a week or so soon. The interior in particular is lovely.

Hoping the new Q7 is as nice to drive as the interior is to play with—in black it's like Darth Vader's staff car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

oRenj9 posted:

"Sport" SUVs are a pretty stupid idea because what makes them an SUV hurts performance (height, weight, aero, etc).
And the other way around, too. My explorer sport makes it a worse suv since it only has 2 doors, but Im fine with that since it means I give people less rides.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Speaking of European luxury car makers putting out awkward SUVs, I give you the Infiniti Maserati Levante: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2017-maserati-levante-this-is-more-of-it-1760302179
Just busted out laughing cause apart from styling differences, that thing is basically identical to my '15 Focus hatch. Proportions and body shape, I mean. They are literally selling a swollen economy hatchback. I wouldn't be surprised if the spoiler from one fits on the other.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It will sell like loving hotcakes though.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
As far as SUV's go I think it looks pretty sharp. I'd be surprised if they did well though since Maserati really doesn't have a strong brand anymore IMO and there's a lot of competition. Their cars are selling like poo poo, but who knows, maybe they can pull off what Cadillac did with the Escalade.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Just busted out laughing cause apart from styling differences, that thing is basically identical to my '15 Focus hatch. Proportions and body shape, I mean. They are literally selling a swollen economy hatchback. I wouldn't be surprised if the spoiler from one fits on the other.

:what:

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 22, 2016

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Maybe it's a regional thing? I see Maseratis pretty frequently around Chicago.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Minto Took posted:

Maybe it's a regional thing? I see Maseratis pretty frequently around Chicago.

They only sold like 36,000 last year and the goal was 50K.

They even had to shut down production for a while due to lack of demand http://europe.autonews.com/article/20151105/ANE/151109898/maserati-sales-boom-stalls-as-output-cuts-expose-fiat-chryslers

Out of curiosity I looked up some lightly used Ghiblis on eBay and drat do they depreciate hard

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 22, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The Sicilian posted:

So what's AI's preferred (sport) sport utility vehicle?

I'm not sure I'd care about AI's collective wisdom in regards to SUV's.

I think Mazda's crushing the compact and midsize SUV game right now but may not be luxo enough coming from a Porsche. The CX9 looks dope, though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Money is a Range Rover.

Power is a black GMC.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Dislike button posted:

They only sold like 36,000 last year and the goal was 50K.

They even had to shut down production for a while due to lack of demand http://europe.autonews.com/article/20151105/ANE/151109898/maserati-sales-boom-stalls-as-output-cuts-expose-fiat-chryslers

Out of curiosity I looked up some lightly used Ghiblis on eBay and drat do they depreciate hard

A new Maserati dealership opened a few miles away from me on Long Island and I'm suddenly seeing Ghiblis everywhere. It used to just be Granturismos and the occasional Quattroporte. I saw one yesterday parked on the street in a working class neighborhood and there's one regularly parked at the college campus that I work at, and it's not a student's. I can imagine looking at them in a couple of years but being scared away upon seeing the reliability and service costs.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

AlmightyPants posted:

A new Maserati dealership opened a few miles away from me on Long Island and I'm suddenly seeing Ghiblis everywhere. It used to just be Granturismos and the occasional Quattroporte. I saw one yesterday parked on the street in a working class neighborhood and there's one regularly parked at the college campus that I work at, and it's not a student's. I can imagine looking at them in a couple of years but being scared away upon seeing the reliability and service costs.

I was really excited about the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio for about 10 minutes and then I thought about how much it would depreciate in 4 years and moved on with my life.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Honestly, I wouldn't buy any car like that. Maserati, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz. If I could afford to buy one, I'd just lease for as long as they cover service and get rid of it.

The idea of putting up with something as hellishly complex as modern luxury/supercars when they're out of warranty is not at all appealing to me.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I never thought I'd be even remotely interested in anything in the same zip code as a 'crossover SUV' but after watching some videos of the Tesla Model X (P90D of course) I have to admit...I'm into it. The falcon doors are pointlessly dramatic, but if you're going to dump $100k why the hell not? Throw some more aggressive tires on it and go nuts, Tax-The-Rich style.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 23, 2016

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

That's really solid advice. I had a few spare moments at work and decided to see what a Carmax warranty would cost for an e60 M5. I was absolutely horrified. The car was a 2008 6sp M5 with 57k miles.

100k warranty (total), $500 deductible - $4099
100k warranty, $50 deductible - $6899

125k warranty, $500 deductible - $5359
125k warranty, $50 deductible - $9k+ my brain tuned out after I heard the first number

Carmax warranties were pretty reasonable a few years back but they wised up after that DeMuro asshat made a career out of bragging how much his Range Rover warranty saved him.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 23, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I was really excited about the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio for about 10 minutes and then I thought about how much it would depreciate in 4 years and moved on with my life.

It's an unrealized loss until you sell the car. Just keep it forever.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Carmax warranties were pretty reasonable a few years back but they wised up after that DeMuro asshat made a career out of bragging how much his Range Rover warranty saved him.

Last I checked they were pretty reasonable for normal cars still.

You have to keep in mind the prices on something like an m5 are insane. I would be willing to bet money any of those warranties would still end up saving you money over the total time.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hell, how much does a gdcs service cost if you're outsourcing the work. I could see that paying for the warranty by itself.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Phone post; but it looks like Honda will be offering the new turbocharged Civic with a 6-speed manual.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/22/honda-civic-turbo-manual-feature/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dislike button posted:

Generally speaking AI despises all trucks and SUVs unless they are used for what the commercials are now calling 'truck stuff.' Buying one means that you are insecure and have a small penis.

Two of my three vehicles are unibody SUVs, one of which is only FWD, and the third is a truck that never gets used for truck stuff (or much of anything :haw: ). WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW

AND ALL OF THEM ARE AUTOMATICS :supaburn:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Two of my three vehicles are unibody SUVs, one of which is only FWD, and the third is a truck that never gets used for truck stuff (or much of anything :haw: ). WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW

AND ALL OF THEM ARE AUTOMATICS :supaburn:

I drive a Prius and a beige camry. I think my next vehicle should probably be a crossover to complete the anti-enthusiast look!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Network42 posted:

Last I checked they were pretty reasonable for normal cars still.

You have to keep in mind the prices on something like an m5 are insane. I would be willing to bet money any of those warranties would still end up saving you money over the total time.

Yea we wholesale those and you have different rate classes for different vehicles. Stuff like a BMW M class or for instance, a Audi S4 are very high rate classes, with the associated costs. Something like a Nissan, Toyota, Chevy etc are usually reasonable. Dealer sets markup so costs are negotiable as well. I had a "premium" contract that I got at cost for my truck and it was $900 for 6 years, 100k. I priced the same level contract for an S4 and it was 5600 or so lol.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't know if it's spreading to all models, but Audi's new quattro system is no longer full time AWD. The system is FWD until "necessary" at which point clutch packs engage the driveshaft to the rear wheels.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/review-audis-new-for-2016-quattro-with-ultra-all-wheel-drive-system/

quote:

Review: Audi’s new-for-2016 ‘Quattro with Ultra’ all-wheel-drive system

From its very beginnings at the dawn of the 1980s, Audi’s Quattro system has principally stood for permanent four-wheel drive. But the high-tech latest-generation Quattro system, due for release in the new A4 Allroad later in 2016, is quite the opposite of permanent.

Unlike Audi's previous Torsen and Haldex-based systems, the latest version features a set-up that allow the rear axle and differential to be decoupled entirely, cutting frictional losses and supposedly improving emissions and efficiency. The automatic switch between two- and all-wheel-drive reputedly takes milliseconds and the system's even claimed to pre-empt the loss of traction before it happens.

Audi calls the latest system ‘Quattro with Ultra technology’ (Actually, it calls it ‘quattro with ultra technology’ – Audi’s marketing department isn’t a big fan of capital letters).

Audi’s new Quattro with Ultra system: what exactly is it?

The whole point of the new system is to improve efficiency, mitigating much of the usual fuel consumption and emissions penalty that’s part and parcel of conventional four- or all-wheel drive set-ups.

In the vast majority of circumstances the car operates in front-wheel drive mode, bringing the rear wheels into play only when absolutely necessary, and near-instantaneously. Audi reckons it can engage all-wheel drive mode half a second before it’s actually needed. So while it isn’t permanent four-wheel drive, Audi would argue that it kind of still is.

The new system does away with a traditional centre differential, binning the Torsen torque-biasing unit at the heart of the current Quattro system in longitudinally engined cars (although the Torsen system will continue in production alongside the new Ultra set-up).

How does it work?

At the heart of the system are two electronically controlled clutches – one at the back of the gearbox on the nose of the propshaft, and the second operating as a ‘de-coupler’ in the rear differential.

When the system switches to front-wheel-drive mode, the front clutch disconnects the propshaft and the decoupler in the rear diff opens, cutting the majority of frictional losses at the rear axle. The drag figure can never be zero, of course, but it’s negligible.

An electric motor reactivates the front clutch unit to re-engage all-wheel-drive mode. It’s claimed to be virtually seamless, taking 200-250 milliseconds to connect. Audi’s engineers chose an electric motor rather than a hydraulic system because the latter would need high pressures, and a very exact calibration to deliver the precise force required.

Presumably it’s packed with electronics?

Very much so. Myriad sensors, networked with a number of the car’s other control units, analyse everything from steering angle to lateral and longitudinal acceleration, the projected tyre contact patch (including how far the inside wheel will lift during cornering), engine speed and more every 10 milliseconds, and engage the rear wheels when they see fit. If there should be any kind of sensor failure, the default mode is all-wheel drive.

The system also examines the way you drive, and which Drive Select mode you’re in – if you’re a ‘dynamic’ driver (i.e. a bit of a hooligan), it will activate the rear axle sooner, and to a greater degree. It can also sense when the car’s towing a trailer, and apportion torque accordingly. As well as operating predictively, the system can also spring into action if it’s needed unexpectedly, for example encountering sheet ice halfway around a corner.

Carry-over from the existing Torsen Quattro system to the new one is ‘nearly nothing’, says Dieter Weidemann, Audi’s head of all-wheel-drive systems. ‘Just the propshaft, really,’ he adds. Work on the system started more than five years ago. ‘The project started from ourselves, there was no pressure from other departments at Audi [to instigate it]’ he says, adding ‘none of my team members were bored in the last five years.’

What kind of difference does it make?

Audi says its developers used an average of 0.3 fewer litres for every 62 miles covered than an equivalent Torsen system car over a test route around Ingolstadt.

The new system is said to use around 0.2 litres more fuel than a purely front-driven equivalent Audi (in Torsen system cars, it’s around 0.5). The Ultra system is 4kg lighter, despite having more components.

Isn’t Ultra a name for diesel engines?

True, Audi’s previously attached the Ultra tag to its thriftiest diesel engines. It’s now beginning to apply the name to any technology on its latest models that’s related to fuel efficiency or lower emissions.

Which cars will it appear on?

The system has been developed for Audi models with longitudinally mounted engines; A4 upwards, essentially. It’ll first appear on the new A4 Allroad, due for launch in mid-2016 with both TFSI petrol and TDI diesel engines, and will subsequently be rolled out across new Q5, A5 and Q7 models and beyond.

Depending on model, it will be available with both DSG auto and manual gearboxes, and with certain engines only. The system is currently designed to work with engines producing maximum torque below 370lb ft or so, meaning that RS variants and certain other engines will stick with developments of the current Torsen system.

Transverse-engined Audis – A3, A1, TT and so on – continue with their current systems for the time being, developed by VW rather than Audi.

What does it feel like to drive?

We drove the system in a pre-production Audi A4 Avant test vehicle, and it really was impossible to feel when the switch between two- and four-wheel-drive occurred. A telemetry system recorded what proportion of our journey it spent in which mode, and the results were surprisingly even: 51.2% in 2wd mode and 48.8% in awd. A twisty, mountainous section accounted for much of the time the rear wheels were engaged.

Incidentally, three weeks prior the same car had been driven around 1700 miles to the Arctic circle for three days, and did 90% of the trip in front-wheel-drive mode. Even on icy roads, the system activates front-drive mode in steady state driving.

Don’t other systems do more or less the same thing?

Wiedemann says the system cannot be compared with other front-to-rear disconnect systems, such as the Range Rover Evoque’s GKN-developed hydraulic actuation, because the Quattro system provides a more seamless transition. ‘We tried this [hydraulic system] and knew immediately it was not for us.’

Is the Quattro brand really such a big deal anymore?

In 2015 more than 40% of all Audis sold were Quattro models, the Q5 being the most popular of all. In total, Audi’s shifted 7m Quattro-equipped cars in the 36 years since the original Ur-Quattro’s launch in 1980.

‘Quattro is so important for the Audi brand,’ says Weidemann. ‘This is a big step for us, moving from a [centre] differential system to this system.’ And you sense it will be the biggest for the next few years: ‘You can change the Quattro brand [for the worse] if every year there is a new system.’

Weidemann is also insistent that Audi’s all-wheel-drive systems be developed in-house as much as possible. ‘I would never have taken the risk that Quattro [development] be in the hands of a [external] supplier.’

Will it make the cars more expensive?

Cars with the new-gen Quattro system won’t be priced at a significant premium above models with the existing system, Audi tells us. It’s cost the company plenty to develop, though.

Weidemann suggests some customers talk themselves out of buying an all-wheel-drive car on the grounds that there would be maybe only five days a year when they’d truly need it. Might as well buy a front-drive car, avoid the extra fuel costs and park it in bad weather. The new system, in theory, offers the best of both worlds.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 23, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don't know if it's spreading to all models, but Audi's new quattro system is no longer full time AWD. The system is FWD until "necessary" at which point clutch packs engage the driveshaft to the rear wheels.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/review-audis-new-for-2016-quattro-with-ultra-all-wheel-drive-system/

Sounds like if you really wanted to, you could make it permanent all wheel drive just by disabling one of the "myriad of sensors".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Linedance posted:

Sounds like if you really wanted to, you could make it permanent all wheel drive just by disabling one of the "myriad of sensors".

It's an Audi, it'll happen by itself a week or two after you buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Linedance posted:

Maybe it's only decoupled when the EPA is testing it!