Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like it better when the 12 year old with an uzi wastes her instructor

Wasn't she like 8, not 12?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't she like 8, not 12?

Yeah, I was going to say, she was way younger than 12.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Talmonis posted:

I worry that the local conservatives might try for jury nullification.

Federal court judges wouldn't allow a defense attorney to finish the word nullification before having him tazed and threatened with contempt. I've been a fed courtroom when a lawyer started to say it, surprised the gavel didn't break before he got past "null", cleared the jury out of the courtroom and read him the riot act.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Sure, let's own guns! I'm all for it. But safety is the #1 concern, and people need to be trained a LOT more to own a gun.

I once posted in TFR after a post in LF or helldump was making fun of one of them posting a picture of his 6 or 7 year old holding his Walmart tactitool AR-15 (or something). I knew TFR is just TCC but for guns but didn't know just how bad.

It was about when I was 11 or 12 my father brought me to a gun show. Some guy brought in a pistol, empty clip but had a chambered. Was showing it to a guy at a table who pulled back the slide, saw the round and either slipped or just let go, it snapped shut and went off. Right into the chest of his grandson standing on the other side of the table while I was talking to him. After that my father sold his pistol collection because he felt having guns with kids was too much of a risk, even though I had standard gun safety rules already drilled into me, treat all guns as if they are loaded no matter what, never point a gun at something you do not intend to shoot, etc.

The guy being made fun of of response was he was 'teaching' his daughter not to be afraid of guns. I responded that A) kids SHOULD be afraid of guns, at that age you risk them viewing it as a toy and B)it's a loving gun in the hands of a child and called someone irresponsible for pointing his gun at the wall in his house when he's 'checking' (masturbating with) his guns. That response was "how else am I supposed to dry fire to check my gun dumbass', then how my father was a pussy for selling his guns.

So yeah, "responsible gun owners" :rolleyes:

My pussy father did take me out to the middle of nowhere in the Everglades where there was a spot where peope went to fire poo poo you can't bring to a range. That's when I learned that a full auto Uzi goes from full extended clip to empty before you've fully pulled the trigger and M91/30's will nearly dislocate the shoulder of a 17 year old who hadn't fire anything harder than an M-16 before (I think thats what it was before some TFR freak chimes in)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toasticle posted:

Federal court judges wouldn't allow a defense attorney to finish the word nullification before having him tazed and threatened with contempt. I've been a fed courtroom when a lawyer started to say it, surprised the gavel didn't break before he got past "null", cleared the jury out of the courtroom and read him the riot act.

You don't ask them to do it. You put on a slightly probable case and then tell them how awesome your client is/how lovely the cop was. Works generally in poorer areas, regardless of race, though the white areas prefer white defendants.
(Former public defender)
These guys aren't gonna nullify even in the most redneck part of OR. Rural areas hate out of towners who tell them what to do more than the government.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 23, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The problem with guns in america is that everyone who owns a gun thinks they're one of the Responsible Gun Owners and that it's those Other Idiots who ruin it for everyone. A large number of them are wrong, but, Dunning-Kruger and all that...

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
If I assume a lamp is unplugged and I try to fix it and electrocute myself it's not really an accident, is it? I was being a lazy moron. You don't accidentally shoot someone unless you accidentally leave a round in the chamber and then accidentally don't check it and then accidentally point it at someone and then accidentally fire it. It's an astounding array of accidents. Kid got shot by a lazy moron. Accidents do happen but there's a meaningful distinction between that and negligence, recklessness or stupidity.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Anybody remotely sympathetic to these guys is going to know about jury nullification, and once they get empaneled, all bets are off.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

marshalljim posted:

Anybody remotely sympathetic to these guys is going to know about jury nullification, and once they get empaneled, all bets are off.

Considering this group, I'd really like to see what sort of precautions the courts are taking to deal with the inevitable flood of SovCit legal shenanigans when the trials come.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like it better when the 12 year old with an uzi wastes her instructor
Or the 4 year old pulls the pistol out of his dad's holster and sends a round through dad's middle, killing him.

I went to a high school that had gun safety as a week course in PE. Treat every gun as if it is loaded. Do not point the gun at anything you are not ready to destroy. Do not put finger on the trigger until ready to fire. Be aware of the target, above the target, to the sides of the target, and behind the target.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
there is no such thing as an "accidental discharge", only negligent discharges

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anosmoman posted:

If I assume a lamp is unplugged and I try to fix it and electrocute myself it's not really an accident, is it? I was being a lazy moron. You don't accidentally shoot someone unless you accidentally leave a round in the chamber and then accidentally don't check it and then accidentally point it at someone and then accidentally fire it. It's an astounding array of accidents. Kid got shot by a lazy moron. Accidents do happen but there's a meaningful distinction between that and negligence, recklessness or stupidity.

There's been a general push in the firearms community to refer to these incidents exclusively as "negligent discharges", as 99.99% of them occur due to some kind of negligence on the part of the gun owner or handler. It's exceedingly rare for a gun to discharge truly accidentally with nobody at fault, always due to a mechanical problem with the gun.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Anosmoman posted:

This is why their called negligent discharges, not accidental discharges. With modern firearms kept in good working order, there is next to no chance that a round is going to be fired other than having the trigger pulled. It's not an accidental discharge when you don't properly check your hoslter when securing your weapon and your shirt gets bunched up there and actuates the trigger and puts a round through your rear end, and it's not an accidental discharge when you're clearing a weapon with your finger on the trigger and you end up putting one downrange/uprange/into the ground.

But negligent discharge implies that someone is responsible (they are), where accidental implies theres nothing that could have been done to prevent the situation (there always is).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CannonFodder posted:

Or the 4 year old pulls the pistol out of his dad's holster and sends a round through dad's middle, killing him.

I went to a high school that had gun safety as a week course in PE. Treat every gun as if it is loaded. Do not point the gun at anything you are not ready to destroy. Do not put finger on the trigger until ready to fire. Be aware of the target, above the target, to the sides of the target, and behind the target.

poo poo I learned this in like elementary school, but I also learned how to tell all the venomous poo poo from the non-venomous poo poo, by far the latter has served me more. Sure, I spent tons of time during summer break plinking with a bolt-action, no-magazine .22 and a bunch of rounds in a woodblock back in the day (not as cool as black powder though) but I eventually grew out of the whole gun thing somewhere in adolescence.

It's like trains and steampunk where some people just don't grow out of guns, though. It's just a much more dangerous hobby :v:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I am an independent, I reliably vote left and view myself as a progressive.

Anyway, you guys on some crazy bloodthirsty bullshit like earlier in this thread. Stop making reasonable people hate progressives plz?

*edit* yes I know dumb people are loving up the world. YEAH PUT EM TO THE WALL

Good job guys

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

BRJohnson posted:

crazy bloodthirsty bullshit

YEAH PUT EM TO THE WALL

Its like you don't even remember LF

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Grundulum posted:

Women get fewer rolls of paper? That seems weird.

I meant one a week for males, sorry.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Its like you don't even remember LF

Probably mostly a reflection on me and my choices in life but this is where I come to find intellectual peers.

... uh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
woof.

anyway, what's the current situation? everyone just cooling their heels until they get their day in court?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Current situation is the scene is being processed, arraignments are a week or two out, charges / defendants will be updated in a probable superseding indictment sometime in March. So not much public right now.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Do we have a timeline for opening up the reserve again, or any estimates?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Pete Santilli urges court to reopen, review his detention in Malheur refuge conspiracy case

Pete Santilli, an independent broadcaster who is one of 25 defendants charged with federal conspiracy in the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, is asking another judge to overturn his continued detention.

In court motions filed late Monday, Santilli and his lawyer ask the federal judge assigned to the case, U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown, to review the Feb. 4 detention order by U.S. District Judge Michael W. Mosman.

They argued there's new information that warrants a review, including the recent removal of all his firearms from the Ohio apartment he shares with his girlfriend and an FBI search of his rental car that found no firearms present.

Santilli also offers the court a new release plan.

It would allow federal officers to search his apartment for any firearms or ammunition, conduct random searches "as they feel may be necessary'' and even allow the government to mount a video camera in his home so officers could continually monitor him, according to court documents.

Santilli's lawyer pointed to the concerns that Mosman raised "about the weight of the evidence'' against Santilli during his detention hearing earlier this month and a statement from the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon supporting Santilli's First Amendment rights.

"He stands today an innocent man who did nothing more than exercise his First Amendment rights, and he received no warning that his exercise of those rights was considered unlawful by law enforcement,'' wrote his court-appointed lawyer Thomas Coan. "The court should find that due process requires Santilli's pretrial release.''

Santilli, 50, who went to Burns to film a Jan. 2 rally protesting the resentencing of two local ranchers, stayed to film the monthlong armed occupation of the wildlife refuge in Harney County. He was arrested Jan. 26 in Burns.

On Feb. 4, Mosman affirmed a magistrate judge's decision to detain Santilli pending trial, saying he was disturbed by several remarks Santilli made during his online broadcasts promising to shoot federal officers if they came to take him or his guns away.

"There's a handful of statements I can't discount as just shock-jock" bravado, Mosman said.

He said he couldn't ignore what seems to be Santilli's "deeply-held beliefs" regarding his distaste for federal law enforcement and found Santilli could be "a real threat to pretrial service officers or U.S. marshals or others who have to deal with him.''

Prosecutors contend Santilli used his show to issue a "call to action'' to encourage more people to participate in the refuge takeover.

His lawyer has argued that Santilli was simply documenting a developing story. Coan has described Santilli as an "entertainer'' or "new journalist'' who puts out "a lot of bravado'' and has been a "thorn'' to the federal government.

Simply for "his words,'' Santilli is facing retaliation, Coan argued.

He argued that Santilli has never been violent, didn't challenge federal agents or police when arrested and could be supervised at his Cincinnati apartment.

The new filings make reference to an FBI search of Santilli's rental car earlier this month. Without obtaining a warrant, the FBI "caused Enterprise rental car company'' to falsely report the rental car as stolen, Coan wrote. That led Gresham police to seize the car and search it, according to Santilli's lawyer. He points out there were no firearms or other contraband found in the car.

Santilli has since been indicted in both the Malheur refuge occupation and in the 2014 standoff with federal officers near the Cliven Bundy ranch in Nevada.

Santilli's lawyer said in his latest court filing that Santilli tried to urge other protesters at the Nevada standoff to follow federal officers' orders and "calmed down a protester'' who was screaming at officers. He included an exhibit that he said captured Santilli saying, "Comply, comply, comply. Comply with the order...We have to.''

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/pete_santilli_urges_court_to_r.html#incart_2box

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

Do we have a timeline for opening up the reserve again, or any estimates?

The last document published about the state of the refuge (the one that revealed the poo poo trenches) said I think 21 days estimated for the FBI to finish combing the scene for evidence. After that it'll be time to actually start cleaning up and returning to business as usual.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Jumpingmanjim posted:

They argued there's new information that warrants a review, including the recent removal of all his firearms from the Ohio apartment he shares with his girlfriend and an FBI search of his rental car that found no firearms present.
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/pete_santilli_urges_court_to_r.html#incart_2box

(15 seconds of search)

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/02/02/bundy-locked-down-but-henchmen-make-bail.htm

quote:

U.S. Attorney Ethan Knight pointed to one episode where Santilli claimed he buried unregistered guns in his backyard in California to avoid surrendering them under a restraining order that was later dismissed.

quote:

In another episode, Santilli said that if federal agents showed up at his house in the middle of the night, he would shoot them. And in a third episode, Santilli called the feds "pussies" and said, "I'll take care of your families."

It's adorable that he thinks that he had a chance. :)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Entropic posted:

The problem with guns in america is that everyone who owns a gun thinks they're one of the Responsible Gun Owners and that it's those Other Idiots who ruin it for everyone. A large number of them are wrong, but, Dunning-Kruger and all that...

That's why I don't own guns. I don't loving trust myself with that responsibility.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I guess it's too on-the-nose to call it a negligent discharge instead of an accidental discharge when your militia buddy puts one in his own kid.

I'll be real interested to find out if 3% cowards muster even the slacktivism to donate money to her recovery, since they've been revealed as all talk.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kilo147 posted:

That's why I don't own guns. I don't loving trust myself with that responsibility.

I am not entirely sure I would put it that way but the stats are pretty darn convincing. If you own a firearm, the odds of a negative event go up dramatically - almost as dramatically as going from not having a shower to having a shower.

I am willing to risk a shower for its benefits. I am unwilling to risk a firearm for its benefits.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
people who own a firearm are way much more likely to be shot with their own gun than people who don't

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FAUXTON posted:

poo poo I learned this in like elementary school, but I also learned how to tell all the venomous poo poo from the non-venomous poo poo, by far the latter has served me more. Sure, I spent tons of time during summer break plinking with a bolt-action, no-magazine .22 and a bunch of rounds in a woodblock back in the day (not as cool as black powder though) but I eventually grew out of the whole gun thing somewhere in adolescence.

It's like trains and steampunk where some people just don't grow out of guns, though. It's just a much more dangerous hobby :v:

Which is what the real problem with the gun debate in the country comes down to: large numbers of childish adults demanding to keep their hobby of handling deadly weapons. Sure, you get all kinds of platitiudes of defense and freedom, but what it all comes down to is people demanding that they get to keep playing with their toys no matter how dangerous they are. It's the antithesis of responsibility.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

The last document published about the state of the refuge (the one that revealed the poo poo trenches) said I think 21 days estimated for the FBI to finish combing the scene for evidence. After that it'll be time to actually start cleaning up and returning to business as usual.

Yeah, they probably could get it done faster but the militants also said that they set traps. Even if they're lying as a final "gently caress you", the FBI can't take any chances (plus they are crazy enough to do it).

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am not entirely sure I would put it that way but the stats are pretty darn convincing. If you own a firearm, the odds of a negative event go up dramatically - almost as dramatically as going from not having a shower to having a shower.

I am willing to risk a shower for its benefits. I am unwilling to risk a firearm for its benefits.

Yup. Odds of someone breaking into my house armed and willing to kill me for my tv are way the gently caress lower than an 'accidental discharge', and gently caress me taking a life over a $200 piece of electronics. Real life burglars aren't willing to die over it either, there's a reason they try and target houses/apartments when you're not home.

I'm a 3rd Dan black belt. I had a real teacher, the he's teaching us how to end a fight not 'win' a fight. The advanced classes for black belts the night we did how to handle a mugging he gave one of us a wooden knife and had each of us show how we would handle a mugger. Then had one of us mug him. He reached into his pocket, handed over his wallet then asked us what's in it that's worth either dying or killing for. Which in one of D&D gunchats made me a pussy of course.

Some kid did break into my apartment once when I lived in a lovely neighborhood, got two iPads and gave them to the 15 year old girl next door to try and sell. Of course she turned one on and I saw it on the find my device app, called the cops and got it back. I went to juvie court to advocate her getting put in a program and getting community service because I'm not going to help ruin the life of a stupid 15 year old over an iPad. Also a pussy.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Toasticle posted:

Also a pussy.

The sooner the whole "Alpha Bro" poo poo dies, the happier a whole lot of us will be.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Toasticle posted:

Yup. Odds of someone breaking into my house armed and willing to kill me for my tv are way the gently caress lower than an 'accidental discharge', and gently caress me taking a life over a $200 piece of electronics. Real life burglars aren't willing to die over it either, there's a reason they try and target houses/apartments when you're not home.

I wonder how many of these guys grew up in the 80s when "the end of civilization" was the theme du jour for about a million lovely movies.

Gangs gone wild. Schools breaking down. Crime everywhere. Cops can't keep up. Judges letting criminals off on technicalities. Etc.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

I wonder how many of these guys grew up in the 80s when "the end of civilization" was the theme du jour for about a million lovely movies.

Gangs gone wild. Schools breaking down. Crime everywhere. Cops can't keep up. Judges letting criminals off on technicalities. Etc.

Admittedly, I had to get over these exact biases. Granted, living near Baltimore with it's nightly shootings isn't exactly Mayberry, but still.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Talmonis posted:

The sooner the whole "Alpha Bro" poo poo dies, the happier a whole lot of us will be.

I'm not sure it's something that can die. It'll just take a different form, maybe in a generation it'll be David Cameron types just plundering the nation and claiming the right to do so by dint of the colors of his scarf.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget the other end of it where they watch too much Escape From New York and think the President for Life is going to take away their red meat, alcohol, guns but make Christianity compulsory and all crimes are death sentences by other means.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

oohhboy posted:

Don't forget the other end of it where they watch too much Escape From New York and think the President for Life is going to take away their red meat, alcohol, guns but make Christianity compulsory and all crimes are death sentences by other means.

That was Escape from L.A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZCypUOH8js

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Either watching too much Escape from New York, or Bloomberg giving a speech. "I'm going to take away anything that gives you a small amount of joy and taste in your food." He says, cackling over his proposal to ban Salt, Butter and Soda.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

I realize it doesn't have any basis in actual science in the first place, but we've known since the 70s that the whole "alpha wolf" concept is a myth based on shoddy research. The fact that this hasn't trickled down into public consciousness says a lot about public science education.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

botany posted:

I realize it doesn't have any basis in actual science in the first place, but we've known since the 70s that the whole "alpha wolf" concept is a myth based on shoddy research. The fact that this hasn't trickled down into public consciousness says a lot about public science education.

The Donald Trump thread is rife with his supporters who will refer to people as "betas". It's pretty surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I clearly haven't watched enough of either.

• Locked thread