Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Angry Diplomat posted:

Jesus Christ.

That took sixty zigs, if you're curious. (I guess he's up to 83 now?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Araganzar posted:

When worshipping Gozag goes bad:

https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Piginabag

(Warning, contains an F-bomb spelled out in shops.)

Perfect :shittydog:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm impressed it only took about a day to accomplish and he still hasn't maxed out all his skills. I mean yeah for some you'd need certain spells/weapons but if he was willing to dig out an entire level to write a message in the mini-map..well.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 22, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This DgIE (playing random characters to unwind) is finding some good loving items all before the end of Lair/Orc:

code:
the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter}
a +6 greatsling of flaming
the +6 falchion of Pestilence {slice, rElec rC+ rN+}
the +8 trident of the Octopus King {venom, rElec rPois MR+}
the +1 leather armour of Roan {+Fly Regen+ Str+4 Slay+6}
Here's some stuff still in shops:
code:
493 gold  the ring of Byh Susa {+Blink rF+ rN+ Str+4 Int+2}
510 gold  the ring "Tefopo" {Ice rN++ Int+3 Dex-3}
1056 gold amulet of the Spinneret {rMut rPois rF++ Int-3 Dex+2}
1485 gold  the ring "Alam" {*Confuse MR+++ AC+6 Int+4}
Also, randart GDA for 2k gold, that I couldn't really justify buying, but I'm tempted.

Any acquirement scrolls I'm getting gold, no question.

odiv fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 22, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

odiv posted:

This DgIE (playing random characters to unwind) is finding some good loving items all before the end of Lair/Orc:

code:
the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter}
a +6 greatsling of flaming
the +6 falchion of Pestilence {slice, rElec rC+ rN+}
the +8 trident of the Octopus King {venom, rElec rPois MR+}
the +1 leather armour of Roan {+Fly Regen+ Str+4 Slay+6}
Here's some stuff still in shops:
code:
493 gold  the ring of Byh Susa {+Blink rF+ rN+ Str+4 Int+2}
510 gold  the ring "Tefopo" {Ice rN++ Int+3 Dex-3}
1056 gold amulet of the Spinneret {rMut rPois rF++ Int-3 Dex+2}
1485 gold  the ring "Alam" {*Confuse MR+++ AC+6 Int+4}
Also, randart GDA for 2k gold, that I couldn't really justify buying, but I'm tempted.

Any acquirement scrolls I'm getting gold, no question.

As a Dg don't you get enough stats to feasibly cast in heavy armor? Although GDA is the heaviest of the heavy, so it'll still probably be a while.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sure, but random artefact GDA is probably a bad bet regardless. I'd rather take that 2k and get some of that sweet jewellery.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm impressed it only took about a day to accomplish and he still hasn't maxed out all his skills. I mean yeah for some you'd need certain spells/weapons but if he was willing to dig out an entire level to write a message in the mini-map..well.

You can use xp from !XP for anything, so he could easily have maxed himself out if he'd been willing to drink some of his 1k+ supply.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
267632 | Zig:24 | Noticed Dick the pandemonium lord

Extremely Good

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Araganzar posted:

When worshipping Gozag goes bad:

https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Piginabag

(Warning, contains an F-bomb spelled out in shops.)

This is true diesel.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I don't know what else I expected that URL to be.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
:stare:

What.

Just what.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
buff megazigs

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

That took sixty zigs, if you're curious. (I guess he's up to 83 now?)

Ds with powered by death (regen based on recent kills/corpses) and Augmentation (the equivalent of archmagi X 2.4). He does two things: casts Tornado, and uses the disc of storms. Every corpse fuels powered by death and creates piles of gold which distract nearby monsters. He could get careless and die in an iron giant room, or very very unlucky and die in a tomb room.

FYI I timed him clearing zig levels by the extremely accurate measure of counting one, two, three, etc. He didn't clear one in less than 20 seconds. It takes about 5-6 seconds to hoover up all the gold each level or he'd go much faster.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That link got nothing for me. :(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

wait, fixed it. incredible

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, I've set up a properly streamlined script for pulling and building the mac local tiles and do it at least once a day. If anyone's interested, I can put them up on GDrive semi-regularly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Araganzar posted:

Ds with powered by death (regen based on recent kills/corpses) and Augmentation (the equivalent of archmagi X 2.4). He does two things: casts Tornado, and uses the disc of storms. Every corpse fuels powered by death and creates piles of gold which distract nearby monsters. He could get careless and die in an iron giant room, or very very unlucky and die in a tomb room.

FYI I timed him clearing zig levels by the extremely accurate measure of counting one, two, three, etc. He didn't clear one in less than 20 seconds. It takes about 5-6 seconds to hoover up all the gold each level or he'd go much faster.

I have no goddamn idea how he clears things so fast with tornado; I've cast it myself with 1-2 enhancers and it's nowhere near killing pan lords in a single tick. Is it the augmentation skill plus other crap?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
FR:

Any chance the game can have a kill cam? Like it saves the last 15-20 turns before death to where you can view them after the fact?

Because that could be loving hilarious ;D

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015
Wait, did someone leave me a greeting? It was probably one of my many twitch admirers expressing their support. Tell them thanks, and that I really appreciate their donations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Serephina posted:

I have no goddamn idea how he clears things so fast with tornado; I've cast it myself with 1-2 enhancers and it's nowhere near killing pan lords in a single tick. Is it the augmentation skill plus other crap?

Augmentation 3, fully skilled Air + Spellcasting, 39 Int, AMULET OF HARM, wild magic 3.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Shinino Kage posted:

FR:

Any chance the game can have a kill cam? Like it saves the last 15-20 turns before death to where you can view them after the fact?

Because that could be loving hilarious ;D

This exists, but only if you play online. It's possible to set it up locally, but considerably trickier.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

This exists, but only if you play online. It's possible to set it up locally, but considerably trickier.

It exists online? Details, man!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Shinino Kage posted:

It exists online? Details, man!

It's called fooTV, and allows full replay of any part of any of your games, with customizeable speeds. Displaying the last few turns before your death is the simplest thing: just say something like "!tv shinino" to get your last death. (The !lg entry has details on more options.)

Note: only displays ascii (even if you played in webtiles) and will require using irc (##crawl on freenode.org) to use.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Question:

As a DDFi -- what spells should I look into using, and when should I start training stuff?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Like the slugs, PF.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Unimpressed posted:

So, I've set up a properly streamlined script for pulling and building the mac local tiles and do it at least once a day. If anyone's interested, I can put them up on GDrive semi-regularly.

I would appreciate up to date Mac trunk builds now and then if you're up to doing it, I like messing with trunk but webtiles runs pretty slow for me at times.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shinino Kage posted:

Question:

As a DDFi -- what spells should I look into using, and when should I start training stuff?

How heavy an armour are you planning on wearing? Encumbrance plays a pretty hefty role in spellcasting failure rates. The heavier armours also tend to protect you better from damage so that your precious HP isn't burned as quickly. It's pretty much a trade off in most cases.

What god did you take? Trog prevents you from spellcasting entirely! Kiku sort of already encourages you to invest in Necromancy and Elyvilon and Makhleb are neutral choices in which you might decide to heavily invest in Invocations instead of spellcasting.

As for spells to use, your typical hybrid spells tend to do the trick: Repel Missiles, Blink, Apportation, Swiftness are on the easy side while heavier investment and lighter armours (plus Wizardry!) could net you Phase Shift, Deflect Missile, Haste, and so on. Decent apts in Necromancy gets you Vampiric Draining if you don't want to rely on a vampiric brand or your wand of healing.

However there is no real absolute right answer for what spells to use or when you should start training stuff. If I were playing a DDFi I would not even consider spells until the middle of midgame, relying on Makhleb, plate mail + a big weapon to keep me healthy. Someone else might try aiming for a chain mail and lower encumbering armours to start using spells earlier, dispatching threats at range to avoid taking damage in the first place.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

How heavy an armour are you planning on wearing? Encumbrance plays a pretty hefty role in spellcasting failure rates. The heavier armours also tend to protect you better from damage so that your precious HP isn't burned as quickly. It's pretty much a trade off in most cases.

What god did you take? Trog prevents you from spellcasting entirely! Kiku sort of already encourages you to invest in Necromancy and Elyvilon and Makhleb are neutral choices in which you might decide to heavily invest in Invocations instead of spellcasting.

As for spells to use, your typical hybrid spells tend to do the trick: Repel Missiles, Blink, Apportation, Swiftness are on the easy side while heavier investment and lighter armours (plus Wizardry!) could net you Phase Shift, Deflect Missile, Haste, and so on. Decent apts in Necromancy gets you Vampiric Draining if you don't want to rely on a vampiric brand or your wand of healing.

However there is no real absolute right answer for what spells to use or when you should start training stuff. If I were playing a DDFi I would not even consider spells until the middle of midgame, relying on Makhleb, plate mail + a big weapon to keep me healthy. Someone else might try aiming for a chain mail and lower encumbering armours to start using spells earlier, dispatching threats at range to avoid taking damage in the first place.

Adding in that worshipping Makhleb lets you pump Invocations for both the purpose of ranged spells and summons through the god powers, which is almost everything you could need on top of being one of the best gods for Deep Dwarves thanks to the HP on kills.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

World Famous W posted:

Like the slugs, PF.

They like you too. :glomp: (<- slug is in pink)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Benly posted:

I would appreciate up to date Mac trunk builds now and then if you're up to doing it, I like messing with trunk but webtiles runs pretty slow for me at times.

Here's a sharing link to the gdrive folder. I just built it a few minutes ago so it's got the slug changes. I'll try and remember to upload there regularly, but if I forget, feel free to nudge me.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzRWXAkP6Rk7RzQyT0toMUtWYkE&usp=sharing

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

PleasingFungus posted:

They like you too. :glomp: (<- slug is in pink)

I just ran over a dart slug as an unarmed level 1 summoner. So I'm okay with slugs. (I assume this was a ranged enemy?)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just entered a volcano and had an alarm trap spawn in the one-tile-wide chokepoint between the entrance and the rest of the level. Is that possibility intended?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I just entered a volcano and had an alarm trap spawn in the one-tile-wide chokepoint between the entrance and the rest of the level. Is that possibility intended?
If I remember correctly that possibility is 100%

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think it is.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Unimpressed posted:

Here's a sharing link to the gdrive folder. I just built it a few minutes ago so it's got the slug changes. I'll try and remember to upload there regularly, but if I forget, feel free to nudge me.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzRWXAkP6Rk7RzQyT0toMUtWYkE&usp=sharing

Thanks!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I just ran over a dart slug as an unarmed level 1 summoner. So I'm okay with slugs. (I assume this was a ranged enemy?)

it was. now it's a flat enemy.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Pakellas Reasons:

All the recharging ever. Seriously, I zapped a HW wand about 25 times while waiting for a teleport to kick in and get me away from a berserk orb guardian during the orb run (during which an invisible ancient lich dropped a whole bunch of summons in surrounding me to boot) all thanks to Quick Charge and the massive pile of magic potions built up over the course of the game. Like that's Ely levels of self-healing available to you at minimum, and I didn't even supercharge the HW wand (I supercharged a shadow rod instead).

Rods are nuts if you invest into evocations enough. All of them. And you get gifted one at 4* piety, and possibly might get gifted more (or stuff like HW/haste wands or misc evokables...)

Iron rods are basically just "kill this thing next to you if it has 0 AC" after your evocations gets high enough, and at very high amounts even moderate amounts of AC (~10) stop being enough to save a monster from you; with an evo in the 20s I was able to 1-shot ghouls with a single scattershot. And then you can always just use a wand of acid to strip away some AC to make it more ridiculous if needed. Acid wand corrosion + device surging an iron rod did pretty decent (if hilariously variable) damage to even ancient liches and orbs of fire.

Cloud rods I didn't find but from previous Pakellas wins are at even medium evoc really good as they just drop fire and ice clouds everywhere, and at very high evoc you're watching things wither away in negative energy clouds or being melted away by acidic fog (the latter are hilariously deadly)

Inaccuracy rods are aptly named, but they hit absurdly hard and lots of enemies have such low amounts of EV that even the bolt of inaccuracy has very good chance to hit them. And it's the cheapest rod in terms of MP cost so you can fire it off quite a few times in a row. Again, I didn't find one last game; this was just from previous experience.
Good candidates to use the rod of inaccuracy on: Anything immobile (statues, oklob plants, etc.), hydra, MOST dragons (do not attempt on quicksilver dragons, and shadow dragons are very iffy), any and all giants (Antaeus included), Cerebov, Dispater, curse skulls/curse toes, ogres (not trolls surprisingly, save for iron trolls), golems (NOT electric golems!), Hell Sentinels, naga to some extent (definitely not Vashnia though), and in general anything with single-digit EV is at least somewhat viable to shoot with it.

Lightning rods are basically wands of lightning if they didn't bounce and didn't suck; I often used them to snipe weaker spellcasters down through summoned hordes, and even with just 11 max MP it always lasted about 3 shots.

Ignition rods are really good at clearing out groups thanks to how they work: anything you point the bolt at is hit by both the bolt and the fireball, and then the fireballs of the guys next to them if applicable. It's no Fire Storm, but against anything without rF+ it still will wipe them out really quickly, and against a single target it's basically bolt of fire + fireball.

High-evo rod of shadow summons are absolutely absurd; with 27 evo I was getting iron and golden dragons with surprising frequency with the occasional juggernaut, and then sometimes you just get completely absurd things like an entire spriggan pack, a yaktaur pack, a lich, or very rarely just something absolutely absurd thanks to OOD spawns. Do be warned the summon duration is incredibly short though and that anything with abjuration will cripple the effectiveness of it in a hurry.

I once evoked the rod of shadows and got 5 caustic shrikes (i.e. a full-size caustic shrike PACK). The orb of fire I was trying to kill did not live very long. This was without a Device Surge.

Also worth noting is that the wand of acid is incredible at very high evocations because it's acid damage and against almost literally everything in the entire game outside of the Slime Pits may as well be unresistable; I was 5-shotting ancient liches and orbs of fire with it at 27 evo because they don't resist acid (again, no device surge).

And enslave wands are still really good lategame at high evo: Sure, the really big stuff is immune or may as well be immune, but you still have decent odds with 27 evo at enslaving the low-end dragons, and in Zot you can easily enslave draconians with 1-3 zaps (including the classed ones!).

That's not even getting into the misc evokables, like the bag of spiders (aka "summon a giant army of spiders and maybe a ghost moth or two"), the elemental evokers, the phantom mirror (aka "pretend to be Mara"), or the box of beasts.

Unfortunate fact: Device Surge does NOT work with Dispater's Staff, mostly because very high evo Dispater's Staff is disgusting as it is: I've 2-shot orbs of fire with it at 27 evocations.

...this kind of turned into an "evocations is good" post rather than a "Pakellas is awesome" post, but the point is worship Pakellas.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 23, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

.. very persuasive Pakellas sell ...

Can you post your file? I want to see how you progressed your build. I've tried Pak a few times and it's awesome, but I think I focused on Evo far too much to the detriment of everything else...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only time I've tried Pakellas so far I was a DDAr and the first potion I quaff-ID'd was Bad Mutation and it gave me the one that uses MP to increase wand spell power. So I basically knew I was dead as soon as that happened and I spent the next 30 minutes slowly dying trying to find Cure Mutation, including eating every mutagenic chunk I found in hopes it would demutate the wand power one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
There are many, many sound strategies for dealing with the horrors of Vault:5. None of said strategies involve grabbing every scroll of immolation in your stash, equipping a shitload of rF+ and an obsidian axe, and turning on the angriest punk rock you can find.

But some things are just meant to be.

• Locked thread